Reviews for Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Hope Diamond

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 17, 14 2:02 AM
Most Exciting Adventure!

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Spectacular. A really clever use of sepia drawings, merging into colour video, to futuristic impressions of astral bodies, to mechanical clockwork and a compass. This also covers, as you realise only after you play the game, the themes and icons of the story.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
I could write about how much I enjoyed the sights and sounds in this game. But you’ll be faced with pages of it, when a quick look at the promo video can give you an idea of just how good it is, and I have much more to say. The music is very well suited to the game, very exciting stuff. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the artwork.

One comment on the voiceovers. These were well done, and Eipix have this thing they do which I think is the best answer yet to the problem of lip synch. Below the still image of the speaker, in whatever the current location, there is a bar for the subtitle, and a close up of the speaker’s face and a pretty fair attempt at greater voice synch. We have the option, then, to choose whichever we are most comfortable with. Excellent innovation.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Fun story, that starts with you jumping out of a moving train. Yup, it is going to be an exciting adventure worthy of Indiana Jones. The people from H.E.L.P. (Hidden Expedition League of Preservation) are impressed with your previous adventures (the previous 5 Hidden Expedition games), and after testing you by throwing you in the deep end (of a sewer). Then, you and your mentor are off to find the missing shards of the Smithsonian’s Hope Diamond before a nasty bunch of thieves get their hands on them.

To Be Continued...

Edited on 01/17/2014 at 10:34:19 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Hope Diamond

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 17, 14 2:04 AM
Most Exciting Adventure!

Continued...

GAMEPLAY
The great thing about Hidden Expedition games is their wide variety of HOP styles. Yes, there are a lot of HOPs, but no two are alike. I counted roughly 20 HOPs (and about the same number of puzzles), and among them were more than half a dozen different styles, often 2 or 3 types appearing in the same puzzle. This breaks up the HO action nicely for people who feel it slows down the momentum. For example, you might have 6 silhouettes to find, followed by 3 multiples of 5 or 6, followed by a short word list. In the one HOP scene – in the one visit.

The puzzles and mini-games were also varied. There were some we know, quite a few I didn’t, and some we see rarely. Occasionally, a puzzle appeared more difficult than it was, and none of them were ludicrously impossible. But patience and concentration were definitely an asset. For me, this game was just right, challenging me, without frustrating me.

This game rivals Fate’s Carnival for the top spot in my list of all-time greatest HOPA games, but I actually prefer playing this one. It is geared toward a less expert player. Fate’s Carnival made me feel incompetent. There is an enormous gap between Fate’s Carnival and most games, and this game fits nicely around the intermediate level. For those experts who can actually play Fate’s Carnival without tension headaches, there are, of course, 4 levels of difficulty, including custom settings.

Other features of note include:
The H.E.L.P. kit which includes a journal and objectives. An interactive jump map. A hint system that hints. Items that can be altered or combined in inventory.

VERDICT
This is a splendid game, featuring excitement, variety, challenge and beauty. The developers covered all the bases splendidly, and have given us a game worthy of a very popular series, and their own growing reputation.

I recommend this game!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 17, 14 8:36 AM
Hey All!

Thanks for posting the first review JustTheFacts!

What do you think of Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian™ Hope Diamond? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian™ Hope Diamond page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 17, 14 12:46 PM
Based on twice completed game + Bonus features found in CE.

THE REAL QUESTION IS, Special Edition or Collector's Edition, which is right for you? Perhaps I can help you decide?

No matter which you opt for, you can rest assured you’re getting a very high quality game. It’s appropriate that this is a collaborative effort between the Smithsonian and BFG. Each is at the top of their respective arenas and this game is right there with them.

Here's the story: You've been recruited by the Hidden Exhibition crew to find shards of the Hope Diamond before a family of crooks beats you to the punch. Everything else you need to know about the story you’ll find out as you play. It’s an entertaining game, and remains faithful to the storyline as you proceed. I didn’t detect any incongruities. As the game begins you are held hostage on a train. You jump out the window and back in time a few weeks, arriving at the Smithsonian whence you were summoned.

This game is the complete package, driven both by the storyline and the mini-games and HOGs. It is truly an adventure.

FUN FACTOR
I didn’t want to stop playing, and continued pressing on through the wee hours. I played in 3 sessions over three days. I am NOT a fast player and this game makes me appreciate being a slow poke. I didn’t want it to end. There's much to do and you're ceaselessly moving from one activity to the next, punctuated by HOGs and puzzles. (Note, you’re moving from activity to activity, it’s not just annoying backtracking.)

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING OF MY REVIEW. FOR THE FULL REVIEW PLEASE PRESS ON THE AVATAR AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and look for the review by SFR8RFAN.

I know my good friend JustTheFacts spends of lot of time on bringing you the best possible review. I'm trying to make mine the best they can be. If there's anything I can do to improve mine, please don't hesitate to let me know via PM!! (Shorten them maybe?)

BTW: I absolutely recommend this game!

Edited on 01/17/2014 at 12:51:35 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 17, 14 12:47 PM
Hope Diamond hasn't lost its luster

Based on the demo

I own only one earlier HE game (Uncharted Islands), but this has been a solid series. This one continues the tradition and even raises the bar.

Very well done drawings, wide variety of locations, semi-realistic style, good voice overs. The cut scenes are also well done, first class animation and realistic motion. No cheesy effects or lame attempts to scare or shock.

Hidden object scenes are not too challenging, require a fair amount of interaction and some are multi-dimensional.

Puzzles similarly are not too challenging. I skipped one (peacock) for time purposes.

There are several collectibles and "achievements." (one of the achievements I received in the demo was "listened to all the dialog" or something.

This being a joint effort with the Smithsonian, my antennae were raised for political correctness, but I did not encounter any in the demo.

As a history lover, this promises to be a very good or great game, possibly GOTY.

ezputt
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ezputt on Jan 18, 14 11:38 AM
Good afternoon everyone,
Is it just me or... did we have this game last year? I remember the first intro, the guy sitting on the chair in handcuffs...good game but old?
Enjoy everyone on this snowy day in Ottawa...

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 18, 14 11:48 AM
Hey ezputt,

A Collector's Edition of Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Hope Diamond was released last month and this is the standard version of the same game. The Collector's Edition contains an in-game strategy guide and some additional content that isn't in the standard version.

I hope this helps clear things up!

bfgWendwater

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 8, 14 4:00 PM
Based on the Demo

This game is the story of the curse associated with the Hope Diamond. It begins in a lecture hall in the Smithsonian where the curse if being discussed. Next you are on a speeding train with your employer being held captive by smugglers, probably looking for the Hope Diamond. You are helping your employer to escape when you are forced to jump from the speeding train. Somehow you find your way back to the Smithsonian museum and the real adventure begins.

The Soundtrack is excellent with very well done voice overs. The graphics are well done. You have a map, a mysterious help box, and journal to assist you in gameplay. Use the help box and read the collectible cards or you will miss vital clues.

The hidden object games are very interesting, some like the first one, in multi-level, first you find the silhoutted items, then the chemistry signs, then a list of hidden objects. Next scene has a list only, but a lot of interactivity, for a lot of fun. The mini puzzles are fun, some of them very different.

This game has a lot of fun puzzles and hidden object scenes. There is something to keep you busy every minute of gameplay.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 10, 14 12:37 PM
Well, this was an interesting game...short, but interesting. The ending was a bit bland considering....

HOS were certainly different and interactive. I actually enjoyed doing them. Mini games were easy in some situations and in others could be a bit involved and tedious...but doable.

Graphics and annimations were pretty cool. Inventory bar could be locked or unlocked and was interactive which made the inventories very interesting. Transporter map was very good and was definately needed since you did bounce around a bit.

I skipped almost all the cut scenes...also there was a lot of dialog which you could mover beyond. Voice overs were OK, but the storyline a bit weak. Lots of interesting facts if you read all the fact cards you collect during the game...which I didn't.

All in all, this game had some very interesting aspects and I enjoyed playing it. Hint and skip refresh quickly so the game moves along smoothly if you choose to use these. I will give this game a 4 out of 5.

[Post New]by SNIDER1983 on Mar 15, 14 11:16 PM
hey there, I got a situation. I have purchased this game and I played several scenes. BUT I got crashed next time when I enter the game. It happened when it's loading.
I restart my Iphone 5s and can't fix it. The game vision is 1.0.2. I wish Big Fish can update and fix this problem

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 20, 14 3:45 AM
After finishing the demo, it's a definite Go for me. I will have to wait a bit (until pay day, heh heh) before I can buy it, but I was hooked right from the beginning.
steve_san wrote:As a history lover, this promises to be a very good or great game, possibly GOTY.
I totally agree.

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 3:46:39 AM PST

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on May 6, 14 1:06 PM
I think besides Hidden Expedition: Amazon, this one grades equal. I love adventure games and this was right up there. The characters I liked as well as the scenery and the cards found? I have no clue about those except to gather them.
I will give this a 5 out of 5 . Happy gaming everyone!

KatranMoiety1
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by KatranMoiety1 on Feb 2, 16 1:39 PM
Love it ! Five stars.
Almost didn't buy it and then watched the short video clip that comes with the title page and ran to purchase it.
Was not disappointed.

As others have gone into depth about the game mechanics; I'll just say that it flowed effortlessly without any hitches. The characters are interesting to listen to and nice to look at. Especially the 'villainous' guy with the hat in the beginning.

Graphics are sumptuously gorgeous.

The story is fun and intriguing... but keep in mind I'm still close to the beginning.
I've been buying BFG's for some years now, and I can tell this game was crafted with care.

In three words : BUY THIS GAME !!!

Go to: