Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game reviews for Order of the Light: The Deathly Artisan CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 18, 14 2:40 AM
Ghosts, paranormal activities and paintings coming alive, who are you gonna call?? As lead detective, you are summoned by a secret organization, the Order of Light to investigate recent paranormal activities that have taken over the town of Smallville. Upon arriving, learn that Locals are either going mad or fleeing town as evil begins to spread as the deadly sins start manifesting in their behaviors. Your adventure begins and your main mission is to capture the pesky ghosts and for that you have a special device called, what else? Ghost Catcher and there are apparently 35 of them roaming around.

Main menu offers three levels of difficulty to choose from which you can change while you play; unfortunately sparkles disappear only in advance mode. Graphics are good, not brilliant, and resolution could have been a bit sharper. Good artwork, lots of colors and hand painted scenes; again, all good but not brilliant. I liked the music and voice-overs are well done, especially our narrator at the beginning. There are minimal special effects and animations are a bit stiff. Game features include a notebook, a special device for capturing ghosts and a map that allows you to jump.

I noticed that there are many collectables and achievements to earn throughout the game. You also receive points for performance while playing Hidden object scenes and there is a score sheet in the menu. Adventure gameplay is standard, searching for clues, picking up inventory objects and catching ghosts. Hidden objects scenes that I have come across are standard; a list of objects with minimal interactions. I like that the collectables come in series, there are prints, fruits, etc.

I like this game and was pleasantly surprised when I wanted more after my demo trial period ended. As I said, visually it is not spectacular but definitely interesting as you go around catching ghosts and picking up your collectables. As my wallet is a bit strained this week-end, I will have to take advantage of any CE sale available and definitely add this game to my collection. I liked it; it looks good and plays smoothly. My one pet peeve was the language; some of the translations are a bit off. Not exactly the Ghost busters, but is interesting enough for those who enjoy a decent adventure. Many may find this game not very challenging but I have to say that the achievements and points is a clever incentive to play carefully.

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 8:22:31 AM PST

Re:Game reviews for Order of the Light: The Deathly Artisan CE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 18, 14 2:58 AM
Gadgets! Collectibles! Achievements!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I was put off a bit at first by the blurry graphics of the early part of the game. For a CE, I thought, this is not good enough. But either my eyes adjusted, or the graphics improved, because certainly for the rest of the demo (which took almost an hour on the easiest of 3 difficulty levels), the game looked fine.

The intro was engaging, though, and the promise of a story that included both living art and ghosts kept me from being too quick to judge. The story really does sound fun. A town is beset by strange occult phenomena, a group called the Order Of The Light has recruited you as a detective, and have sent you to Smalltown as your first assignment.

The phenomena do not fit neatly into one category – there are balls of fire, poltergeists, gravity-defying victims caught suspended in the air. All is confusion. Left to your own resources, you commence to explore the town, and find its inhabitants, who are none too obvious, except for a strange man who seems determined to block you at every turn. When you finally find the mayor, he is on fire, and your first task is to save his life.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics, as I say, are initially pretty blah, but they improve. They are never spectacular, but they are certainly well done, and I like the animations and ghosts. The HOP scenes are clear, although fairly static and therefore a tad boring.

The voiceovers range from okay to very good, there is some attempt at lip synch, which doesn’t really come off, but is not bad. The music ranges from great crashing sound to pleasant and unobtrusive, and the environmental sounds are very good. In all, the art is better than average, but not great.

GAMEPLAY
The game favours HOPs. There are quite a few in the demo. They are interactive lists, and are visited twice. There is nothing remarkable about them.

The puzzles are better, but fewer. Some are quite complex, others are straightforward enough, but need 3 rounds to complete. I skipped a couple, not because they were hard, but because they would take too long to complete for me to do in a demo. But they were interesting and I certainly would play them out in the full version.

To Be Continued...

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 18, 14 3:00 AM
Gadgets! Collectibles! Achievements!

GAMEPLAY

Continued...

The adventure aspects of the game are pretty simple, although there is a lot of toing and froing, many inventory items to be found and used, and a lot to remember. There is a interactive jump map that unfortunately only tells you which scenes are completed and which not. The hint, however, gives a precise instruction for the next step. It will be too helpful for some people’s taste – first time I used it, it told me the code to input as well as where I should do it! There is also a notebook which keeps a summary of events so far and shows your collectibles progress.

A special tool is used to find and eliminate the 35 ghosts that are scattered throughout the game. What I like about it is that the suspicious phenomena that suggest a ghost may be in the area are not always the same, so using this gadget does require attention to location, and judgement. I suspect this will be one set of collectibles that is also in the standard edition.

CE BLING!
This is one of those games that is as much about the Bling! as it is about the game itself. You will be kept very busy trying to find the 50 collectibles, which are 10 sets of 5 each, of which each instance is an individual. For example, one set is Fruit. There are 5 pieces of fruit to be found, but each is different – a pineapple, a pear, etc.

There are achievements (32), which are mixed story-based and performance based. There is also a statistics page. The game has a timer, points are issued for each collectible found, achievement reached, etc. Things like the number of skips are listed. HOPs and puzzles also get up to 3 stars based on your performance. There is, in fact, a mind-blowing number of things to keep track of if that is your thing.

As well, there are the more standard extras: bonus chapter, SG, Wallpapers (9) – good ones, showing the characters of the game in their settings, Concept Art, Music, and replayable Mini-Games.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game that is only special, I think, because of all the extras. Without them, it is a fairly average game, certainly not bad by any means, but not inspiring either. Which means I’d recommend the CE in this case, over the SE.

I recommend this game!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Jan 18, 14 4:41 AM
Now this is a game that I would love to hate. Graphics certainly feel dated but not too bad after all.
However it is interesting enough to buy, especially with the sale now.
There is a lot to collect and I enjoy catching the ghosts.
Seems like all the victims are still caught somewhat alive in paintings..
It is intriguing and I may buy after all, but , yes, too many HOS for my taste.
But collecting objects, points, and ghosts will keep you busy

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 18, 14 4:47 AM
Sorry to say I disliked this game almost immediately. No widescreen in any CE is unacceptable unless the game is exceptional; unfortunately this game doesn't fit that description. These developers need to find out how to programme their games so that they fit all monitors.

You either get sparkles or can't skip puzzles; what sort of a choice is that?? Yes you can change the difficulty whilst playing but why should you have to? Make the options customisable or at least have a choice to lose the sparkles but keep the puzzle skip.

There are a lot of collectibles but there's more to a good CE than throwing umpteen collections at a game. Nice bright graphics would have helped but these are dull. The HOS were plentiful and quite dark, which made it hard to find the small items. I didn't make it as far as a puzzle, gave up playing before I found one.

Frankly the game was just a bit of a disappointing mess. Even with the sale I won't be buying this CE and probably not the SE either. Compared to a quality game like Amaranthine Voyage, this one doesn't even come close.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 18, 14 5:52 AM
Lasted one minute. I wasn't going to play it at all after seeing the options. If you don't want sparkles they take the hint and skip off you!! why? what is the point of that? I thought they had abandoned doing that ages ago. I want to play a game without sparkes telling me where to click, I'm not an idiot so won't use a hint unless I'm really stuck but I'd like that to be my choice. I tried but all the collectables and achievements ruin it for me personally. I just want a game with some challenge without all the distraction of irrelavant stuff, hopefully all this superfluous nonsense will soon become unfashionable and we can get back to some quality gaming.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 18, 14 6:33 AM
Sorry, but this game is not deserving of the CE distinction at all.

The controls are very poor (especially in the puzzles), the graphics are sub-standard, there is no widescreen, the voiceovers are pitiful, and the HOS are a horrible mess featuring what I call "eye test" object hunting ---- meaning that many of the things to find are simply very tiny ---- not cleverly hidden ---- and, for me, that's not fun, just work. I did, however, find the tiniest horseshoe I've ever seen in a HOS!

I don't know who T1Games is, but they have a remotely decent story contained in a very unpolished and old-looking game which makes it a very disappointing and completely undeserving CE. Won't even think about it at the sale price. In fact, I wouldn't even use a pcc to pick it up as a SE.

I just quickly uninstalled this one, and by tomorrow won't even remember a thing about it.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 18, 14 7:12 AM
Agree with you fishies...

[Removed by Moderator]

And not just 'not' widescreen, but squashed square, so looked really distorted!

Even for free I don't want it. I hated it from the minute the mode choices appeared, gave it two minutes play time and uninstalled.

Even as a punch card voucher free SE I wouldn't want it! Luckily good CE available on Mac today, so my Saturday wasn't as disappointing as if I'd only a PC

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 11:21:06 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 18, 14 8:22 AM
Hey All!

Thanks for posting the first review Nilosh!

What do you think of Order of the Light: The Deathly Artisan Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Order of the Light: The Deathly Artisan Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 18, 14 8:22 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Jan 18, 14 8:30 AM
belamba wrote:Agree with you fishies...

[Removed by Moderator]

And not just 'not' widescreen, but squashed square, so looked really distorted!

Even for free I don't want it. I hated it from the minute the mode choices appeared, gave it two minutes play time and uninstalled.

Even as a punch card voucher free SE I wouldn't want it! Luckily good CE available on Mac today, so my Saturday wasn't as disappointing as if I'd only a PC

I for one take offense at the term dumbos. If it weren't for the sparkles, I'd pass the scene right over. I'm surprised your comment wasn't deleted by the moderator. Very disappointed.

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 11:31:22 AM PST

Calais30
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by Calais30 on Jan 18, 14 9:01 AM
I agree jersey. Very offensive.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 18, 14 11:01 AM
BASED ON WHOLE GAME AND BONUS PLAYED

I think I am in the minority here, but I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable game.

I had no problems with any part of it. It filled my large screen perfectly, transitions were seamless and items easy to pick up and place.

The graphics in this game aren't phenomenal, but if you've just played Amaranthine Voyage: The Living Mountain, the poor developers may have drawn a very short straw with this coming out a couple of days later.

You've got to like your HOS. Because there are an awful lot of them and some are junk piles, others not so much. They are the usual list/interactive type. The puzzles aren't overly difficult, but you can achieve 3 gold stars on each by being quick. You can replay from the extras to get them all.

What makes this different is that you have collectibles (50 in total) which are divided into different types of items i.e. fruit, masks, origami, chess pieces etc. Each set of 5 makes up a collection, so 10 in all. You'll find 7 sets in the main game and 3 in the bonus. Each scene will only have one in it. However, you won't know if it's a fruit, mask or other so it varies from finding one and the same all the time. They aren't all that difficult to find, however.

You have something else - a points system and the game challenges you to collect as many points as you can to see if you can beat your friends. That's a bit of fun in itself. Almost everything achieved here earns you points. There's also a statistics screen that shows you how well you've done. My HOS accuracy in the main game was 64%. Good? Bad? No idea, as I've never seen this before, but it's a nice idea.

You will receive a ghost catcher and it's not just a gimmick, as you'll see. The ending of the main game is nicely done and finished. You can also go back to find collectibles you may have missed as you are in the same world map.

The map at first seems incomprehensible; full of yellow !!! for objectives which are still locked. This could have been done better, because as the areas are revealed, a beautiful map emerges that is almost as exquisite as the one in Living Mountain - cutaways of detailed locations complete with furniture. Inaccessible areas will still have a cloud over them; accessible areas will have a light blue ring when moused over.

I got a good 5 + hours from the main game and just over 1 hour from the bonus. Again, not a rocket science game, but very nicely done. Highly recommended!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 18, 14 11:39 AM
Hey All,

I'm just popping in to remind everyone to stay on topic when posting reviews and to be considerate of others in the forums. Please keep the Forum Rules in mind when making posts as we want the forums to be an informative, constructive and positive community.

Happy Posting!

bfgWendwater

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Jan 18, 14 11:40 AM
The game itself seems ok, not necessarily grabbing me from the get go, but could have turned into something worth playing.....BUT are there not just too many types of random collectables? sea creatures, chess pieces, fruit......etc...a bit bonkers if you ask me !!!!
Played the demo, not sure if its a buy, it seems all rather busy when you play to relax!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 18, 14 3:40 PM
As always, I demo in the casual mode to get the feel of a game before I decide whether or not to purchase. I'm not familiar with this dev, I've seen so many I just can't remember if I have or not. The graphics are a little fuzzy. Nice bright colors, and game play was good. The music got annoying after a short time, but it did change with the scene and action. Jump map is a little messy and everything is packed in together, but something you will use constantly.

Did not care for the cursor, I prefer the small standard cursor. There is a locking inventory bar. Voice overs aren't bad, as long as you don't try to watch their mouth when they speak. Sound FX were okay, but not many. SG was the standard and was helpful. The hint system needed some work. It was good if used in a HOG, but not very helpful otherwise, giving you directions and not really a hint. It did take a while for the hint to refill as well.

HOGs were junk piles, with some brightly colored items and some very dark colorless items thrown in to mess things up a bit. You do replay the same HOGs multiple times. Most puzzles are quite easy, but there were a few that took some time and thought to complete, as well as a couple that were very different and fun.

There are a lot of collectibles in this game, which I found to be quite fun. The need to find 35 ghosts, and 5 pieces of fruit and 5 statues and 5 items from the sea, etc., made the game far more challenging than the actual game itself. Without the collectibles, it would just be a very simple no nothing game. The game itself it not really challenging. All that being said, I just didn't not find that this game was CE worthy. I would be surprised if you didn't get all the collectibles in the SE, so the only thing you really get extra is the bonus game. This is a nice game for a beginner, and maybe even an intermediate player and this is the only reason I would recommend it.

I will hold on to this one and wait for the SE and give it a second chance, so no buy for me today. As I have said many times before, I sometimes change my mind about a game once I have played the SE version and buy it, but seldom go back to purchase the CE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 18, 14 3:52 PM
First, I am so happy that there is a discount on CE's right now as I really want Thursday's game. Maybe with the money I save on games I can actually afford a new hobby . And actually, this game gave me an idea for a new hobby as explained below.

This is a game from a new dev. You are a detective asked by the leader of the Order of the Light (whatever group that is) to investigate missing items from the town's museum. The items stolen seem to be related to supernatural events of a ghostly nature. Keeping in the "spirit" of the game, you are given a type of magnifying glass with which locates ghosts. Now collecting ghosts sounds like a nice hobby.

Boy, some people get a little "irritated and grouchy" upon seeing sparkles. Personally I hate them as well and in this game they light up the screen like fireworks. However, there are those who really need them. They should only be included in the most elementary level of play, however. There are three levels of play in this game. The game is very easy to navigate and the puzzles are also very easy, making this game also very boring. In my opinion, there are way too many collectibles. You are collecting statues, ghosts, fingerprints and hand prints and probably more which I cannot remember. Hey, since it is "Hobby Month," maybe I can start a new hobby by collecting something. What a great idea! Now I just have to think of something to collect. How about the ghosts from this game? You also receive points in this game. Most of the devs have stopped giving points in their games. The HOPA scenes are interactive but you do not get the option to switch to another type of game. The graphics are not the best and a little blurry on my computer. There is a map and it does give you the progress you have made in the game.

Another little "Mother Nature" moment in this game. During the first HOPA scene, you get to hear all kinds of wildlife sounds - whippoorwills, unhappy owls, crazy loons. Again, since it is "Hobby Month," it kinda got me into the mood for another new hobby - join the Audubon Society and take up bird watching. Maybe I can "collect" a pair of binoculars in this game with all the collectibles. I give this game 3 stars out of 5 stars for a CE. It really doesn't have a "ghost" of a chance against some of the other CE's we have seen on this site. This game seemed more like an SE instead of a CE.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jan 25, 14 8:09 PM
Based on the Demo

During the demo period I played 8 hidden object games so if you don't like H.O.s this is not for you. You have to play them to get objects you need for the adventure. They ranged from moderately easy to very challenging.
Mini games were thought provoking, sometimes difficult, always fun.

The storyline is good, nothing original, but done in a different way: A mysterious stranger breaks into a museum, steals some artifacts, a dark cloud menaces the civilian population, causing them to turn into sinners. You as the detective are called in to stop the madness.

The soundtrack is great, narration in the beginning very good, voice overs clear, crisp, and realistic.

The graphics are okay, sometimes a little one dimensional and simplistic, but that did not detract from gameplay.

There is a map, a journal, a strategy guide, and a ghost catcher (to help you eliminate the many ghosts and spirits in the town).

You get points for finding certain objects from certain categories. There are achievements you earn for not skipping mini puzzles and for not using hints in the hidden object scenes.

This was a must buy for me. It has everything and really keeps you busy.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 26, 14 5:31 PM
Just right! A nice mixture of easy IHOS (not too interactive), great graphics, a well thought out story, and, yaaaaay, lots of collectibles.

This is a rainy day game, not hard at all, puzzles that are doable, and tongue in cheek humor. The chubby guy floating through the air at the beginning of the game is a hoot!

I spent some time today looking for two CEs so I could take advantage of the sale. I have so many games already there weren't that many to trial, but I found them and this is one.

I recommend this game!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Feb 4, 14 7:32 PM
i read the reviews before playing the trial, didn't see much positive there, but quite honestly i thoroughly enjoyed this game. it definitely held my interest, a rarity among most ce's, except MCF....I am also currently playing a couple of others which got a lot more raves but as you can see, did not hold my interest. the game's the thing, graphics and widescreen and all the bells and whistles aside, when it's good, it's fun! thanks devs.

Edited on 02/04/2014 at 7:33:03 PM PST

Go to: