Reviews for Redemption Cemetery: Bitter Frost

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 24, 14 1:00 AM
Feel The Cold!

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

At the end of my review of the CE demo, I had not decided if this game successfully fits in with the Redemption Cemetery theme. Well, end of game, and I am still wondering. I can’t make up my mind whether this a well done tilt at thrusting Red Cem into a more varied and interesting universe, while maintaining its very successful structure, or a total failure to connect with the earlier games.

In truth, despite being a 100% sold fan of the Redemption Cemetery series, I never really got into this one. Admittedly, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 playings of these games to really understand them. And this game has all the right ingredients.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Great visuals, both in technique and choice of subject. From the opening scenes, everything in this game is beautiful (gorgeous ancestor). Cut scenes were excellent, graphics clear, voiceovers very good. Later in the game, some of the characters’ voiceovers are annoying. No attempt at lip synch, which I approve. Music includes some eerie vocals, but can get a bit repetitive. Some excellent ambient sounds.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Well, it’s still like the previous games. In order to save our blood line and remain in existence ourselves we must save 3 ancestors that the Spirit of Cold has targeted. She is jealous of Sheenah, our original Native American foremother, who wed Koturi, the Owl Spirit (he’s the cute one – oh, but human). Each ancestor’s salvation is a vignette in the game, and when all 3 are saved, we will have succeeded. And can get back to the Christmas tree and all those lovely presents!

Nearing the end, I noticed some inconsistencies in the story, annoying, but probably only for a pedant like me. There was also an annoying glitch. Neither of these things had a great impact on play, but it’s the first time I can recall ERS making these kinds of mistakes.

To be continued...

Edited on 01/24/2014 at 9:14:37 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Redemption Cemetery: Bitter Frost

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 24, 14 1:01 AM
Feel The Cold!

Continued...

GAMEPLAY

The gameplay has some original parts, but is mostly balanced between 11 HOPs (visited twice) and 18 puzzles. The adventure play is fairly logical but not always intuitive. I used the directional hint much more than I like to. The HOPs are in several forms. The interactive word lists are a bit different. Each item reveals the piece of a puzzle which is done at the end to get the inventory item. List HOPs can also be switched to a Match 3 game. There are a couple of progressive silhouette HOPs and “multiples of”. There is one originally designed replace items HOP as well.

Puzzles are not too bad for the most part, but I had to skip a couple near the end. One new puzzle was used to translate between chapters, and it was a tricky but ingenious and intriguing one. One excellent feature – you can choose the casual or hard version of certain puzzles! Great idea! This is on top of the choice between 3 play modes or a custom mode in the options.

Another feature is the “grow feather”. This allowed certain inventory items to be increased in size, e.g. scissors into garden shears. Some items could also be combined in inventory.

COMBINED IMPACT
Frustration - because I could never quite get on top of it and go with the flow, and pleasure - at the beauty, imaginative ideas and interesting gameplay.

Even with my reservations, this is a great game, just not my favourite Redemption Cemetery game.

I recommend this game!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jan 24, 14 6:24 AM
I played the CE demo awhile back and did not feel it was worthy of CE status. I replayed part of the demo again this morning. This is not my favorite Redemption Cemetery. It sort of veers off the path of the other installments in this series, however it does retain some of the same objectives. Save 3 souls to save your family bloodline. A nice touch is that when you increase difficulty level, the puzzles also increase in difficulty. Sounds and Sights much the same as all ERS games. HOS were played twice and were in list form and place the object back into the scene. This was set in a snowy, Christmas time setting which didn't quite do justice to the story. Somehow, throughout the game, it just felt "off". I could not really get into the game at all. It is also a shorter game, as with all Redemption Cemetery games. If you are a big fan of ERS or Redemption Cemetery, give it a demo to see how you feel. I'm personally going to pass on this one.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 24, 14 9:12 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for starting the reviews thread JustTheFacts!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Redemption Cemetery: Bitter Frost here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Redemption Cemetery: Bitter Frost.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jan 24, 14 1:07 PM
I remember playing the CE and thinking it was not worth the money to buy. As a SE with a coupon I will buy it. I agree with most of the reviews about not being as good as the other three in the series.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jan 24, 14 8:42 PM
Talk About A Woman Scorned

Based on the Demo.

The storyline of this game starts with your ancestor having scorned Wenonah, the Spirit of Cold. Just like you shouldn't fool with Mother Nature, you certainly shouldn't fool with a Spirit that can throw your whole world into a deep freeze.

The graphics and visuals are great. Soundtrack and voice overs are very good.

Mini puzzles and hidden object games range from relatively easy to moderately difficult.

The SE is as equally good as the CE. In fact this seems to be the better buy.

I recommend the SE.

richmondl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by richmondl on Jan 27, 14 1:49 PM
This ERS game was very good, but I felt it could have been longer.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Mar 2, 14 9:22 AM
As with all the other Redemption Cemetery games, I loved it! It was full of adventure, with lots to do and follow. The music didn't annoy me at all, as all the Redemp games have it and I loved being the ancestral heroine!
I highly recommend this game and I give it a 5 out of 5 !

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Mar 11, 14 3:56 PM

Stunning graphics and scenery as usual, really superb. Played in casual mode, the game followed through fairly logically.

The hidden objects and the puzzles were pretty easy to do, suits me !!

There seemed to be some sort of glitch when building the tambourine in the last story but maybe I missed collecting the instructions somewhere along the way.

Quite a short game and, sadly, yet another very abrupt SE ending. (I'm assuming the ringing doorbell led to further gameplay for CE buyers).

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 14, 14 2:57 AM
I have enjoyed the other Redemption Cemetery games enough that I've played each them more than once, which is rare for me. This one didn't grab me. Like JustTheFacts, I was finding it necessary to use too many hints, and the Christmas theme does seem odd when trying to defeat an ancient Native American spirit.

Based on other reviewers' descriptions of the game being quite short and a possible glitch, I'm going to pass on this one, in spite of the very beautiful graphics, which really are superb. I'd rate the artwork as a new pinnacle for ERS. Too bad the rest of the game doesn't seem up to par.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 28, 14 8:10 AM
I liked the previous games in this series, but not this one

Go to: