Edited on 01/25/2014 at 8:55:10 AM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Tales: The Lost Hope Collector's Edition

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jan 25, 14 1:36 AM
Based on the demo.

This game has everything. The Voiceovers are well done. The soundtrack is extraordinary, beautifully orchestrated, professionally done. The visuals are beautiful and detailed, using brilliant colors where appropriate and muted colors when needed.

The game begins with the brother in law asking the player to visit him and the player's sister, Margaret, who just happens to be dead.

The hidden object scenes are moderately easy, as are the fun and entertaining mini puzzles. The player can opt to do a regular puzzle instead of a hidden object scene.

There is a map, a journal, and a strategy guide.
Achievements include completing a mini game in less than one minute, completing 3 mini games in a row without skipping, completing a hidden object scene without a hint, and completing 3 hidden object games without a hint.

There also collectibles: crystals, coins, and zoo animals.

This hidden object adventure is the real deal: entertaining, fast paced and a lot of fun.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 25, 14 1:59 AM

It is certainly refreshing to take on the role of a male hero which will definitely please some gentlemen users out there. Our tale today begins with a cryptic letter from your brother-in-law. Years have passed since the tragic death of your sister who once upon a time ago lived with here husband Emmet in a little village called Reghin. The letter requests your immediate visit along with the invitation to meet with your sister, which is rather chilling news. So off you go to the town of Reghin where your adventure begins and it looks like it involves dead people walking. Alchemy, murder and the supernatural all play a role and so far the demo certainly delivered a most thrilling time.

The graphics are sharp and I really liked the artwork, hand drawn scenes with using vibrant colors that actually camouflages the sinister elements within the game. You don’t have the dark and dreary tones here but you do have the cartoonish quality of the graphics which makes the game appear less threatening.

You have three levels of difficulty to choose from as well as the option to customize your settings according to your own preference which is a huge plus for me. Your tools include a journal and files, a map that allows for travel as well as indicates areas of interest. The map actually is a huge help since I discovered that there is a lot of backtracking involved in the game. This is a standard HOPA game with the usual inventory list of items to locate, hidden object games to play and puzzles to solve. Hidden object scenes are also very standard, a list of items to locate with some interaction involved. The surprise is the choice to play a jigsaw puzzle instead which was an interesting alternative and will ultimately make the game longer. I enjoyed some of the mini-games that I came across, although I found the directions could have been better, games were well conceptualized and actually some were even challenging to solve.

As for extras, you do have a couple here that may peak at your interest, you have collectables such as gold coins, crystals and zoo animals which made me scratch my head. With you coins, you get to purchase crucibles and panels which unfortunately I have no idea what they are for or why I need to go to the shop to buy them. I suppose I will find soon enough. Then there is your set of achievements to earn as you play.

Surprisingly enough I really enjoy the demo and found many hidden challenges involved in the game play. It is not as easy as it looks and I did manage to get stuck in a couple of places. Although there isn’t anything new or innovative about this game, the story certainly deserves to marks as I am eager to find out just who is our villain and is my sister actually alive. Not an outstanding game but certainly a game well worth the extra coins and time.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 25, 14 3:03 AM
Interesting Twists

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Looks interesting from the start, even though it is not a wildly exciting beginning. The graphics of the cut scene are very nice, easy on the eyes and good quality, and the voiceover is excellent. The story is a familiar one, with an interesting twist. Although you are once again going back to a town of sorrowful memories to aid a friend, he also wants you to come so you can see your (dead) sister!!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are a tad busy at times, but you certainly can’t fault the detail in this game. The art is hand painted style, with plenty of colours, but running to browns, and sometimes a little dark. The HOP objects are easy to see. The voiceover of the narrator is excellent, I was very impressed. Then came a young girl, always it seems the hardest voice to get right, and she was excellent as well. Lip synch is not attempted, but the faces are keen and lively and focussed on you, so I felt it quite real.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Well, who would not answer an invitation to visit your dead sister! Certainly not intrepid adventurers like us. When you arrive at the village, however, there are some immediately disturbing signs. There are people dead and missing, your brother-in-law’s been blamed for the crimes, and everywhere seems deserted. There are strange things happening to the townspeople, which has something to do with a strange and evil green light. You didn’t think it would be easy, did you?

GAMEPLAY
Gameplay is quite refreshing. Both the puzzles and the HOPs I encountered were a notch above the usual level of difficulty, and some of the puzzles were very original (and more difficult) twists on games we know. The HOPs so far have been interactive lists, but you’ll notice how many of the items on the list are things that are out of place in the scene. A pot lid, for example. I believe we will return to these scenes at some point to replace them in the correct spots. I love this combination of HOP tasks. Or you can switch to an easy but enjoyable jigsaw alternative to the HOP, where placing 4 pieces removes 1 item.

To be continued...

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 25, 14 3:28 AM

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 9:19:37 AM PST

gentlegirl
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gentlegirl on Jan 25, 14 3:46 AM
Hi!

Cant say i know the developer of this game but i find it completely enchanting. This game has everything i like and I LOVE IT Definitively a buy for me GREAT WORK

winterlyn
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by winterlyn on Jan 25, 14 5:50 AM

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 9:20:03 AM PST

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 25, 14 6:39 AM

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 9:20:47 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 25, 14 8:54 AM
Hello Everyone,

Great job starting the reviews thread BlackWaterRules!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Tales: The Lost Hope Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Tales: The Lost Hope Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 25, 14 12:16 PM
Again, I ran the demo in the casual mode to get the feel of the game and game play. I'm not familiar with this dev, but that doesn't mean much. The graphics weren't bad, a bit monochrome in color, which is tiring on the eyes. Cut scenes were a bit fuzzy, but that seems to be the norm these days. Otherwise, the graphics were quite clear and nice. Game play was good, but a little slow when moving from one scene to another. Music got old very quickly, so I turned it down. Locking inventory bar, so you don't constantly have it jumping up and down.

Voice overs were nice, but few and far between. Not much in the way of sound FX either, very disappointing. The "whip" sound you hear each time you find something gets very annoying as well. SG is the usual. Hint system is helpful and fills at the normal rate as any other game. Jump map is useful and locations are well identified.

HOGs were a bit messy, but fun in that you can switch between straight HOG to a jigsaw puzzle (I'm a major jigsaw puzzle person, so I loved this part), then the HOGs switch to "place me where I belong" and a match 3 jewels. This is nice...you don't get bored with the same old stuff throughout the game. Yes, you do repeat the same HOGs, but they switch out how they are played. Puzzles are not difficult, but a few take some time and thought to complete and are fun.

I liked that there were multiple things to do and look for in each scene, rather than run around for one here and one there. You do repeat the same area multiple times, but your time is better used when you do.

There are a lot of achievements, so you are on your toes throughout the game. There isn't really much instruction as to what you are to do with the coins, jewels or animals once you get them, but you can figure it out. Coins are well hidden, jewels are fairly easy to find, as are the animals.

The only thing I really didn't care for was that I read faster than they speak, so when I click on the "click to continue" button, I expect the next phrase to come up, not skip the entire dialog, which happens most of the time. Other than that, I did find this game interesting. Nothing new in the story department, but the HOGs and puzzles were fun. Not sure this is CE worthy at this point, so for now, it goes in my puddle for a second thought.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 25, 14 2:10 PM
"A magnum ludum" (A great game) from a new dev, Anno "Domini " 2014." (The year of our Lord, 2014.) Your brother-in-law, who is an alchemist, (and seems to be involved in some sorcery) has asked you to help him investigate some murders in your home town. While there, you discover that he is missing from his little handcuffed sister and he is wanted for these murders. There is a green mist which has appeared, is causing havoc, and seems to tied to these deaths. You collect suspect cards which help you in the identification of the culprit in these murders. This game has a somewhat religious aspect to it as well. The name of the dev is Latin. Even the matches are called "Lucifers." Wow!

Unfortunately, you will need to purchase the game to gain a little more understanding on what is going on. The game is much better after the demo, Since it does not "grab you" at the beginning, I think many will probably pass on what is a very good game.

To me, this game is a little more challenging that Thursday's offering. There are three levels of play plus the ability to customize your game. The map allows you to transfer from one location to another. The HOPA scenes are interactive. If you prefer, you can play a jigsaw puzzle or match 3 game instead. I thought the graphics were decent, but not outstanding. The "muzac" isn't terribly annoying. There are many collectibles in this game. You collect mythical zoo animals, crystals and decorations. Since this is a new dev to the site, the puzzles are unique and variations of those we have seen in the past. There are many activities assigned to do in each scene. I appreciate that you are told where each key fits and you don't have to try them on everything. I am enjoying this game during a rip-roaring blizzard here. I purchased the game to have something to do without becoming claustrophobic. I give this game a 4 stars out of a possible 5 stars.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jan 25, 14 7:33 PM
I found the game interesting and entertaining. I love the choice of HOG scenes and Jigsaw Puzzles but I am in a quandary as to which one I want to do. I love them both. It is nice however to be able to switch to the puzzle mode when you are stuck finding an item.

The collectibles seem easy to find so far. I am happy that it doesn't take away from the game play. I hate having to spend so much time searching for them that you lose track of what you were doing. That detracts from the flow of the story and game play.

I do find that lag time between scene locations and HOG scenes is just unacceptable. It shouldn't take that long to go from one location to another, especially if you have already been to that location. I found it extremely annoying and tedious.

If it weren't for all the other great features and the sale this weekend I would seriously consider either not getting it all or waiting for the SE to come out.

I was a bit surprised that there was no widescreen option and even full screen mode did not fill up my monitor. The black bars may have been smaller but it really is unacceptable that the devs couldn't make it to the bar when so many other games are able to do this.

Edited on 01/25/2014 at 7:34:44 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 25, 14 11:44 PM
Am So Sorry Fans
& Air-Conditioners!

Here it is in total this time!

Interesting Twists

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Looks interesting from the start, even though it is not a wildly exciting beginning. The graphics of the cut scene are very nice, easy on the eyes and good quality, and the voiceover is excellent. The story is a familiar one, with an interesting twist. Although you are once again going back to a town of sorrowful memories to aid a friend, he also wants you to come so you can see your (dead) sister!!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are a tad busy at times, but you certainly can’t fault the detail in this game. The art is hand painted style, with plenty of colours, but running to browns, and sometimes a little dark. The HOP objects are easy to see. The voiceover of the narrator is excellent, I was very impressed. Then came a young girl, always it seems the hardest voice to get right, and she was excellent as well. Lip synch is not attempted, but the faces are keen and lively and focussed on you, so I felt it quite real.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Well, who would not answer an invitation to visit your dead sister! Certainly not intrepid adventurers like us. When you arrive at the village, however, there are some immediately disturbing signs. There are people dead and missing, your brother-in-law’s been blamed for the crimes, and everywhere seems deserted. There are strange things happening to the townspeople, which has something to do with a strange and evil green light. You didn’t think it would be easy, did you?

It really will be continued...

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 25, 14 11:47 PM
Interesting Twists

Continued...

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay is quite refreshing. Both the puzzles and the HOPs I encountered were a notch above the usual level of difficulty, and some of the puzzles were very original (and more difficult) twists on games we know. The HOPs so far have been interactive lists, but you’ll notice how many of the items on the list are things that are out of place in the scene. A pot lid, for example. I believe we will return to these scenes at some point to replace them in the correct spots. I love this combination of HOP tasks. Or you can switch to an easy but enjoyable jigsaw alternative to the HOP, where placing 4 pieces removes 1 item.

I don’t think anybody will find the adventure side of things too difficult, but it is a bit tricky on occasions too. But the flow is logical and well-paced. There is an interactive jump map for directions if you need it, and a directional hint. There are 3 mode of difficulty plus a custom level. There is also a journal, which keeps track of the story, and a Dossier which gives details on the characters you meet.

CE BLING!
Another twist in the gallery. The wallpapers are in sepia and locked until you play that scene, at which point it turns to colour. Nice. There is also a fair bit of Concept Art, and Music. There are replayable HOPs and Puzzles. A Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter.

Additionally, there are Achievements (both types, story and performance, in a list) and Collectibles. The collectibles are 10 exotic animals, their statues can found in the locations. In your zoo, accessed from journal, you can use crystals you’ve collected to transform them to life. The other collectibles are the crystals, and coins which can be used to buy decorations for your Crucible, an alchemical gadget that acts on objects that are glowing green. There are also decorations for the Inventory Panel. Cool!

COMBINED IMPACT
Apart from the story being a little bit slow, I have no criticism of this game. While not overwhelmingly exciting, I think it is building to a pleasant stroll through a game that adds its own twists on familiar concepts.

I recommend this game!

PS. If Big Fish would just let me waffle on just a little bit longer per post, this could never happen

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 25, 14 11:53 PM
I made many positive, review type comments elsewhere in this game thread, but my comments echo the review above in many respects, so I will add to those. I had no lag time between scenes, but I also found it surprising that the game did not fill my 27" screen, leaving vertical black bars (narrower than those of full screen but nontheless distracting).

Another annoyance was if you bought the enhancements to the inventory panel, those decorations covered up areas of the puzzles. You have to go to the store and uncheck them. I discovered this in the air blowing puzzle. On my iMac that puzzle did not seem to work either before or after I removed the enhancements from the panel and made sure it was unlocked.

I do wish they had put the locations for the crystals in the strategy guide -- unless there are crystals in the bonus chapter, I have one animal left in stone.

Overall, though, a truly excellent game for testing your memory, and so beautifully rendered. I hope we see more from this developer.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 26, 14 2:03 AM
BASED ON WHOLE GAME AND BONUS

I won't repeat the storyline, which has already been done so well by other reviewers.

I found many positives, but also some negatives throughout the whole experience.

Firstly, graphics are perfectly adequate. Not outstandingly beautifully crisp, but scenes are very nicely drawn and depicted. The soundtrack is a rather lovely classical piece I found rather evocative and the voiceovers well done, though no lip synching.

The HOS are twofold. Firstly, you have your usual list of items (some interactive). You have the choice to play a jigsaw puzzle instead of this type of HOS. I usually prefer the real cardboard jigsaws, but these were a lot of fun to do and, not surprisingly, are scenes from the game. A little way into the game you'll get introduced to the other type of HOS "Put things back where they logically belong". These HOS give you the option of playing Match 3 instead. First time I've seen two alternatives being offered.

The achievements are the usual performance based type, plus the ones you achieve anyway as you proceed. It's not difficult to achieve everything here as you can easily get "find 10 items in 10 seconds" doing the M3 or Jigsaws.

I counted 22 HOS in the main game and 6 in the bonus and 27 puzzles in the main with 12 in the bonus. Main game took me about 5 1/4 hours and bonus around 50 mins. Puzzles aren't difficult and HOS are junkpiles.

You have a series of mythical creatures to collect and crystals to find to bring them alive. They live in the zoo and, once transformed, are cute little critters. It's fun to pull the lever to hear them 'speak'. You also collect coins to buy things in the shop. This is only to change your 'Crucible' and enhance your Inventory panel.

Throughout the game, you'll come across glowing green objects. Your crucible will make them morph into useable items. All crystals, coins and creatures are clearly set out in the SG collectively, not in separate lists so it's easy to see in one glance what you need to find in a scene. All collectibles end with the main game.

Now to the 'not so good'. I had no problems with the game running in normal speed during gameplay in the scenes, but moving in between could take up to 5 seconds with a black screen. Annoying at first, but you kind of get used to it.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 26, 14 2:09 AM
.... CONTINUED...

The main game ends abruptly and almost seems 'cut off' and it doesn't end there, but continues with what happened to Emmett and who the actual culprit is in the bonus.

But the main thing I hated seeing here is that the bonus has an animal sacrifice scene that I feel is completely unnecessary and we animal lovers are bound to hate.

You do not see the actual gruesome deed, but you do see the dagger going down. You also need to revisit this particular scene numerous times only to see this poor animal lying on the floor, dead.

I did enjoy this game until the above kind of soured the experience for me somewhat. At first glance, there seems an awful lot going on here with all the things to collect, but the crystals are very large so you can't really miss them, the creatures are so large you almost stumble over them and the coins also glare at you. There is no real challenge to buying everything from the shop or completing your zoo.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 27, 14 2:55 PM
It was a different and enjoyed the game. Liked it had puzzles if you wanted to do instead of HOG' s. Had map, hints that reloaded fast and thought the graphics were good too. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 29, 14 8:06 AM
Well, this didn't fill my widescreen either, but I don't mind that as much as I mind extremely strehhhhhttttcccchhheed characters, so at least everyone and everything looked relatively in proportion. While I loved the one jigsaw I came across (and I'm not a huge jigsaw fan), does this game take place in Reghin or Reagan (it's called both during the demo), is it in the 1920's-1930's, based on the car, or in the medieval setting of the town and the dress of the people living there, what are we -- in some kind of middle-European Brigadoon with kind of U.S.ish names? No idea. Add to that the animal sacrifice I now understand is in the bonus round, and no, not for me. The game really seemed all over the place.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Feb 17, 14 4:33 PM
I guess I have to go against the flow here, I did not find this game exciting or interesting to play. Actually I could not wait to finish it. It has been an extremely long time that I have felt this way about a game....sorry that I purchased it.

I found the Bonus Game more fun and interesting than the main CE game that I paid for.

To each their own.

Go to: