Reviews for Obscure Legends: Curse of the Ring

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 29, 14 3:28 AM
So far this game is very promising. I am one of the unlucky people who is having trouble with it, so I'll not write my formal review till it's fixed, but here is what I've seen - and liked very much!

The intro is cool. Not spectacular graphics, but nice opening with a little excitement and great music which is both nautical and ominous.

Interface is nice and suits the gloomy atmosphere. The characters are well drawn, and the voiceovers are excellent.

Story is an interesting twist on pirate curses. A cursed pirate is doomed to play evil overlord to all who arrive on the island. That now includes you, but there are others from the original crew of the pirate. These are good guys. Even the pirate captain USED to be a good guy. Your job, conquer the ring that rules him.

Gameplay I did included 3 puzzles and 1 interactive list HOP, which was very clear and easy to see. And another mini-frag, collecting pieces of pickaxe. Nothing overly difficult. Interactive jump map. Directional hint. Well laid out and clear journal.

Collectible doubloons used to repair the ship (we wrecked it)

Once the bugs are fixed, I look forward to play a great little game!

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 8:48:14 AM PST

Re:Interim Review for Obscure etc.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 29, 14 5:56 AM
Oh I forgot!

You can play mahjong as an alternative to the HOPs! In an SE! Pretty neat!

And an inventory bar lock - also unusual in stand alones.

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 6:06:20 AM PST

[Post New]by Jade1953 on Jan 29, 14 6:46 AM
I had serious problems with this game. Twice it froze my computer and I couldn't get it going again. Let me say up front I am a beginner as far as game playing. But, from what I saw of the game, I believe I will enjoy playing it when all the "gremlins" have been defeated .
JustTheFacts: I enjoy your reviews - THANX!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 29, 14 7:41 AM
Thanks Jade! Welcome to the forum!!

Cool! I get to say that! Seems only last week people were saying that to me!

So hope to see you around

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 29, 14 8:46 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for starting the reviews thread JustTheFacts. I see that there are some technical problems with the game and please feel free to post about these in our dedicated tech thread HERE

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Obscure Legends: Curse of the Ring here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Obscure Legends: Curse of the Ring.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Jan 29, 14 8:48 AM
I had no trouble downloading or playing the trial. I really liked it. The pirate story was actually interesting to me as so far it's not too "out there" like so many others seem to be. A locking inventory is definitely a plus as far as I'm concerned. The jump map works well; I was glad to see locations named as it helps in keeping my own notes as to what I need and where.

There's no walkthrough yet, which is one of my criteria for buying. I didn't need one throughout the trial as the game flowed well and using inventory seemed pretty logical. I'm not a fast player and usually don't complete a game in one sitting, so length of game isn't that important to me. (When the story gets too crazy I get tired of the whole thing anyway!) I went through quite a few locations in the trial, but from the map it looks like I haven't reached half of them yet.

Unless I see some negatives about the game that sway me, I just might bend my rule about a walkthrough and buy it.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

Re:Reviews for Obscure Legends: Curse of the Ring

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jan 29, 14 12:42 PM
Based on the Demo

The soundtrack and voice overs are well done. The graphics and visuals also well done. They may seem a little primitive in light of some of the new games that have bells and whistles and lots of things happening at one time but the player is after all stranded on an island. I liked the graphics.

The storyline unfolds slowly, told by one of the survivors of another shipwreck. It is an interesting story.

Hidden object games are relatively easy. They are interactive. I enjoyed them. Mini games range from moderately easy to difficult, especially the mini game with the golden tooth. It drove me crazy but it was a lot of fun.

There is a diary, a map, and my favorite, a little animal helper, this time a parrot that you rescue from a cage in the cave. He can retrieve things for you that you cannot reach.

You collect dubloons in order to make repairs to your ship.

This game is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. It is a buy for me.

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Jan 29, 14 12:50 PM
I've only been playing a couple of minutes and I'm already stopping to buy. Its just the kind of game for me. Its got everything I like to play these games without banging my head against the wall on laying on the hint button excessively. Map is great and transport and tells you tasks available, which I love because i'm a little disoriented without one, my sense of direction sucks. I consider myself a normal to advanced player and so far its a bit on the easy side for me, but I haven't been playing long enough to determine if it is or isn't throughout. With today's sale, was a no-brainer for me and hope it is a good length. Great so far.

JoJoLavin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by JoJoLavin on Jan 29, 14 1:24 PM
I tried the game despite the glitches mentioned, played a little, came back and played a little more, and I am now buying it. I had no problems, and am thoroughly enjoying this game. Very entertaining. Let the Big Fish peeps help you with your issues, so you can enjoy it too!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jan 29, 14 2:41 PM
I totally recommend this game and give it 5 stars. The graphics to me are superb. The reason they look a little different is because of the 3D effects put into the game. Just an example, the water looks so realistic. Awesome VO's on this game as well. I am totally intrigued with the story and like Suede I have to see it to the end. This has everything of a CE (in fact it was better than the last CE I played, Order of the Light) except the strat guide. You also get Capt Langley's McCaw Mr. Gibbons. Very helpful bird and saves the use of ladders

Story: Your ship is in a storm and you crash into a huge rock darn near demolishing your ship and you're washed up on some island. Your crew is wiped out and on top of that you run into Capt. Langley who is cursed by the ring he is wearing. It gives him strong powers. His ship too crashed like our captain's and he lost his crew along with his bride to be Claire. Between the curse of the ring and the bitterness of his deceased love, he is planning to make our captain's life a living hell.

Graphics: Superb. I love that 3D effect it's so cool. In the H0GS no problem what so ever finding the objects.

Mini Games: On the challenging side and completely made for this game. I haven't had no problems with them. The only one that really gave me a challenge was the skeleton teeth one. Keep clicking teeth and pray.

Music: Totally befitting for this game. Very nicely done.

H0GS: Yellow word interactive H0GS. If your not sure what goes with what in those, just click on one half of it and the Capt. usually tells you what you need. I have seen this done in other games.

Map: Tells you there is something to be done at a place by a green exclamation point. I love that as it really helps not to get stuck. It also is a jump map.

Hint System: Works in and out of H0G scenes. Very helpful hint button.

All in all Kudos to the team for making this game. I am truly going to enjoy it. It doesn't matter that I will lose the punch because this game to me is totally worth. I have to see what happens.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 29, 14 3:20 PM
Part one of two

I’ve been playing this game for more than 2.5 hours. I was confident enough, after the one-hour trial period, to money up (or in this case, coupon up). It was good enough to deserve a full dose of play.

What you've read about the story will suffice for story line. Nearly three hours into the game, I don't think it’s the story line driving the game. It does provide a loose weave connecting the HOG and mini-games and offers a context for the ambience of the game: nautical with a deserted Island and a pirate or three.
The game is very basic. It's not flashy visually or aurally. What was it then? Why did I get it? ‘Cuz, it's just flat out fun!

Level of Challenge:
I don't know what the final number of mini-games and HOGs will be, but I think it will be a generous amount. Both seem to be of rather high quality.

Mini games: I haven't experienced anything brand new, but there are some interesting takes on Maze games, synchronized eradication games (getting different items to activate/eradicate by clicking on them…but clicking on one item will affect the behavior of another or several others).

Some of the games are very complex...at least to me: items placed along a quasar need to be put in a particular order but, again, moving one affects positioning of others.

HOGS: Along with the regular HOG “find-em list,” there is also what I can best refer to as a mini-HOG. It's not based on a list, but just a gathering of several items requiring you to use inventory objects to bring together. There's also a “build-it HOG” where you need to find a few items that, combined, make another item. It might have been a little more challenging if I had to combine the items but the game does it automatically.

The HOG items are well-drawn and well-placed. They aren't crowded but they are disguised nicely and take more than a little effort to find. As an alternative, you can play Mah Jongh.

To be Continued…

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 3:22:03 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 29, 14 3:21 PM
Continuation: Part two of two…

ADDED ATTRACTIONS: Although this is an SE, there are features which, to my mind, make this an SE PLUS. It's not quite a CE: no integrated Strategy Guide, no "who cares" assortment of Wall papers, Art, re-playable music, etc. BUT there are extras:
a. A version of a collectible: Money, Doubloons, which are banked for you when you find them. You spend them on fixing your ship.
b. A side-kick (like the elves, dogs and clowns in other games) Mr. Gibbons, a colorful bird who can retrieve items in high places...and maybe more...
c. An exceptionally good map that indicates where to go and where you have things to accomplish. It’s not strategy guide, but, used along with a rather slow, recharging hint button, they add up to a hint button basically.

There are some funny anachronisms: Early on in the game a pirate uses a pair of pretty fancy looking binoculars…the type you’d buy in a 21st century sporting goods store. Later on there's an actual elevator. It has some Gilligan's Island flavor to it. In any event, I didn't think there was electricity yet to power this dumbwaiter.

Finally, I had one omen that could not be ignored. As I was playing I had my headphones on for sound. In the middle of a mini-game with a surgical-dental theme, my iTunes kicks in and starts playing the theme from ER on top of the regular sound of the game. I don't know how it happened but it was meant to be!! Any doubts I had about buying the game disappeared along with Jolly Roger's Gold Tooth.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with this game. Chase me down if you are. Play the free trial. I did and I was convinced.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 29, 14 4:45 PM
"Ahoy matey !" "Let's weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen" and we're off to the Caribbean on a pirate adventure. Here we have a nice little game from another new dev (at least I don't remember seeing anything from them before). Having subzero temperatures in most the U.S., wouldn't it be lovely to be stuck on an island in the southern Caribbean like Curacao or Aruba? Always wanting to be a pirate , this game appealed to me immediately.

This an excellent game for an SE. Actually, I think it is better than some of the CE's we have seen lately. The nice thing is that you can either use a coupon or purchase it for very few "doubloons." It is 1875 and your ship has been scuttled. You are the sole survivor, landing on an island in the Caribbean haunted by a pirate called Captain Langley. You need to rebuild your boat to get off this island. You will get some help from others living on the island and you find a helpful companion parrot.

The graphics are nice, and to me, they don't seem much different than those of our CE games. I believe this is also a very short game, but since I have only played the demo, I am not certain. It is more of an adventure game with HOPAs and puzzles. Thank you BF for providing us who love puzzles in these games - a few games with more puzzles than HOG scenes. Yeah! There is voice in this game. The HOG scenes I have encountered are interactive and well done. The puzzles are fairly easy. There is also an interactive map (usually never seen in the SE games). There are three levels of play plus you can also customize your game(again usually never seen in the SE games). You also fix your ship by picking up doubloons in the game. I purchased this game immediately. I rate this game 5 stars out of 5 stars for an SE game. For those of us living in the frozen tundra - this game is a perfect one to spend the night holed up in your cabin below deck to escape the ravages of the weather!

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 5:02:20 PM PST

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Jan 29, 14 7:19 PM

Edited on 01/30/2014 at 9:57:21 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 30, 14 4:27 AM
Although this game played just fine on my computer with wide screen, I was immediately thrown by the year they decided to set it in -- 1875. Since I knew this was a pirate story, I went "uh-oh," and for good reason, since the ships are all somewhere between the late 16th to no later than the early 18th century, and the costumes are mostly late 17th to early 18th as well -- well except for the woman's dresses, which were no time at all. Then we have more actors from somewhere in the U.S. or Canada doing faked up piratical accents. So, just a note developers: there were virtually no pirates by 1875, and certainly not in the Caribbean, and the reason was that most seagoing countries had extensive navies, so that pirates had mostly been wiped out. That said, this was a pleasant game, with nice gameplay, but I won't be buying it -- between the wrongness of the time and costume and the fairly simple gameplay, it didn't appeal to me as much as it might have. Also, there seemed to be a lot of HOS's, a few more than I like. However, it's obvious a lot of people really like/love this game, so those are just my opinions.

Xmas3kds
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Xmas3kds on Jan 30, 14 9:20 AM

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 12:58:15 PM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jan 30, 14 10:43 AM
I downloaded and finished the demo for this game with no tech problems at all (playing on Mac OS X) and found a cute and mildly entertaining game. Although the animation is basic and quite dated, the voiceovers are spot on. The lockable inventory thrilled me more than anything else, and the working map is a bonus. The graphics are clear although generally very dark, and the story line is intriguing.

I don't usually like HOs but have played all of them, didn't bother with the MahJong yet. The puzzles I encountered so far were very easy but colourful and well presented. They're my favourite part of any game. I ended up buying the game in the members sale yesterday and will save it for a "rainy day" when there's nothing else to do.

I'm not trained in history or costume or anything useful like that, but I do have to agree with NancySusan that a game loses a lot of its lustre when the details are so badly researched and presented. I've said several times in other forums that there is absolutely no point in putting months of work into producing otherwise beautiful and well thought out games and forgetting to do some basic research and detail work. Someone will always notice when there's something amiss!

Xmas3kds
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Xmas3kds on Feb 4, 14 9:39 AM
Why was my post removed by moderator? Because I complained that the game had serious flaws and should not have been put out there for us until BFG had checked it? Are you that afraid of feedback?

jill165x
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by jill165x on Feb 10, 14 7:42 PM
I didn't have any technical issues with the game. I liked the HOG scenes because it wasn't hard to find the items. The puzzles were interesting but not impossible, and I liked the story. It went by really quickly, under 3 hours, but it was worth it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 13, 14 2:25 PM
Enjoyable game, but short, I almost finished the entire game on demo. I realized by the time the demo ended and I had almost entirely fixed the ship, that there would not be much more game play after purchase...and there wasn't. However, I had a credit and purchased anyway because I was enjoying it.

A lot of HOS and puzzle/mini games. I played only a few of the games as the rest were quite tedious and I don't have a lot of patience with them and wanted to get on with the game. HOS were easy enough and do have the option of an alternative game. HOS were interactive.

Excellent transporter map which is always a plus and a locking inventory. Graphics and animations were very good and I have always had a weak spot for Green Wing Macaws. I had no technical troubles at all.

If you enjoy puzzles and HOS and a game that is enjoyable but not very long...this is an excellent buy. I give the game a 4 out of 5, but wish it could have been longer. Hint and skip refresh very quickly so the game moves along at a good clip.

Edited on 02/13/2014 at 2:28:54 PM PST

Go to: