bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Reviews for A Princess' Tale

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 29, 14 8:38 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on A Princess' Tale here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on A Princess' Tale.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

goeash
Koi
Koi
83,226 Posts

Re:Reviews for A Princess' Tale

[Post New]by goeash on Jan 29, 14 10:47 AM
Firstly - the title is not grammatically correct (sorry, but I really think developers should get such things right). It should be Princess's.
Secondly, the controls do not work.
Thirdly, I can't play it, because of above, but I reckon it will not be to my taste at all.

skyepearl
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by skyepearl on Jan 29, 14 12:32 PM
I only trialed the game for a few minutes just to make sure it worked. It worked fine for me but I'm used to these types of RPG games & always use the keyboard controls. Not sure if using the mouse is the cause of control issues stated in the tech thread or if it's just that the instructions are wrong (see below). I feel it's a lot easier to use the keyboard with RPGs.

I did notice that the instructions provided said to use certain odd keys to do things - like the Tab, Alt, X & Y keys. I used none of those. I used the standard keys most of these types of games employ. Arrows for walking (& navigating the menus). Esc to get the menus: journal, skills/spells, equipment, save, quit (in system menu), etc... Enter to select things. I guess my impatience in ignoring the instructions & get to the game paid off, as I found it all simple to navigate & control using the keys I was used to. You can play the game just using the keys I've colored blue.

In the menu area (Esc - System) you can select the character to auto-run or you can hold down Shift (not Alt like the instructions state) while walking (arrow key). The enemies are visible & avoidable, which is a MUST for me.

I'm thrilled to see a new RPG today! The story seemed cute & it's going on my to buy list.

Edited on 01/29/2014 at 1:13:15 PM PST

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jan 29, 14 1:33 PM
Hi, all!
This game made no sense to me, so I deleted it straightaway after only 10 minutes.
I guess maybe it's because I've never played this kind of game before? I don't know, but I didn't like it.

And, BTW, princess' IS correct! The rule says that the possessive can be written both ways when the word ends in an "S".

beltie
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by beltie on Jan 29, 14 4:04 PM
Just played the trial and plan to purchase.

This is the old style RPG game. The kind where you can see the monsters (if you wish), with their HPs. It is menu driven for characters.

The game has the option to use either Keyboard or Mouse, which is a plus for me. I like using both.

Nice graphics, a bit verbose with the dialog but that's okay. Quests to obtain and fulfill. You must explore.

This genre is probably not best for those who don't enjoy puzzle solving and taking your time.

Just LOVE IT!!

Thank you Big Fish for getting this for us!

IBmeWhoU
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by IBmeWhoU on Jan 30, 14 11:18 AM
For RPG lovers this is on the lower side of ok. I have played many RPG's and I would recommend this to the novice or the intermediate player that wants to waste some time. The makers didn't take the time to put in locations, and the story line is weak... I find it hard to believe you would go on a quest and have to walk but have the vocabulary of a valley girl. I purchased the game for something to do while I wait for the next Aveyond to come out... hopefully soon... I am not real happy with this game and am hoping there is someone out there that can provide me with some insight as to where I am on this map.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 31, 14 5:55 AM
goeash wrote:Firstly - the title is not grammatically correct (sorry, but I really think developers should get such things right). It should be Princess's.
Secondly, the controls do not work.
Thirdly, I can't play it, because of above, but I reckon it will not be to my taste at all.

Actually, when a name ends with an s, you do not add an extra s after the ' - that is the old-fashioned way and no longer in use.

--- --- ---

I have demoed this game at another site a while back, and refreshed my memory giving it another go with the demo from BF. BTW, if the game starts in window mode, click ALT+ENTER for full screen.

--- --- ---

I like RPGs, especially games like Leah's Tale and Ella's Hope. This game, although it's cute, seems rather unpolished.

SOME SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD !!

For one thing, right in the beginning, when I was going back to the castle after getting the cat back, I was able to pick up those clothes from the washing line. OK, that's no big deal.

BUT then, instead of just being able to head back to the castle, which should have been my next destination, I was also able to leave the city and go down to the tower. And when I entered, I was already way ahead in the story, where I would only be once I had gone back to the castle and done the things I had to do (don't want to spoil the story so I won't get into any detail). And then I would go down that way...

So instead of the Princess saying to herself: "I have no business there at the moment" - (this or something similar is what you get in other RPGs when you want to go to a place you shouldn't), I can skip part of the game right in the beginning and go where I shouldn't have been able to go.

--- --- ---

I also don't like it that each time I start the game it always starts in window mode, even though I exit it in full screen mode.

I don't like it that I can't use the keyboard (I don't use the mouse when playing RPGs) to go up to the save file I want to use, but have to use the mouse cursor - an ugly little thing, btw.

And I don't care for the lack of extras: for example, I can't see the amount of money I have in the main game scene. I also prefer to see how much HP and MP the characters have without first having to go into the Menu.

And, although this is something other gamers would probably not mind, I don't like how the battles are done. I prefer for get a side view, see my characters at the right and the enemies at the left when they do battle.

I was going to get this game, but have to think about it now. This game is just too unpolished for my liking.

SMITTY1
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by SMITTY1 on Feb 1, 14 6:54 AM
This is a wonderful casual RPG game.

Thank you BFG for bringing this to us RPG fans. We are starved for affordable RPGs..

We are all so sick of HOG games and I attribute most of the negative comments on here to HOG fans I suppose.

I love all aspects of this game and wish we had a hundred more. I would buy every one of them!

Please please bring more to Big Fish!!

TMGamer99
Salmon
Salmon
2,894 Posts

[Post New]by TMGamer99 on Feb 2, 14 6:57 AM
I'm a fan of these sort of RPG games, so enjoyed this one. I always use the keyboard, so didn't experience the problems others have.

It has to be said, though, if this was the first RPG you'd tried, it may not have made a lot of sense. A lot of them have the option of a tutorial, and this one also had the drawback of not making it obvious where you are. The location is only displayed in the menu screen.

As RPGs go, it was quite a straightforward one, with a linear story. There were no side quests, but there were three optional areas with monsters for levelling up. These also contained a load of chests with power-ups, but I never used any of them.

Some games have a lot of cut scenes you have to sit through, but the dialogue in this was quite short and I found Ata's quite funny.

As a vague guide, it took me just under nine hours to complete it, apparently, which was killing every monster.

One tip which may not be obvious to new players is that in Ata's village, you can buy 'Lucky Buttons', which double the amount of experience you gain after each fight. This will increase your level and get new skills quicker. I kept all of my characters equipped with these for the entire game.

Looking forward to the next RPG at Big Fish.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Feb 5, 14 5:45 AM
ember89 wrote:this game is "standard" in the way of there's a hero, there's something evil out there in the world, and there's a path to dealing with said evil by said hero who finds help along the way and in the end exhibits growth brought about by these new relationships... yes, you could say that about ANY RPG - because that's what adventure games are for... character development and saving the world

one thing i will say about this particular game is that it is fairly simple and linear for an RPG in this day and age... the story needs to unravel in a certain order, at a certain pace, and in many instances, you just can't DO stuff... like in oh-so-many hidden object games where you see the crowbar lying there and you know it's going to be useful, but you just can't pick it up!

so i found it easiest to follow the quest log - HA! like one quest necessitates a log - and do what the game wanted me to... but in the way i wanted to do it... i'm an adventurer so i poked my nose into every dark corner and crevice there was, and talked to every little old lady in every cramped little kitchen, and pushed this and prodded that and bought and sold and rummaged and slaughtered... and when it was all done... I SAVED THE WORLD! [in only about eleven hours or so]

is it the greatest game of all time?? does it compare to the millennium or laxius force games? no, not really, but it's cute and it's new and it's shiny and it made me very happy just to see a NEW RPG on a site pretty much devoted to HOPA players [and, yeah, i'm one of those, too ]

in today's world, it's something to find a reason to smile... today, this is mine

IBmeWhoU
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by IBmeWhoU on Feb 17, 14 1:55 PM
One of the few RPG's where you finish the game in 8 hours or less and your characters are under level 25 to finish off the main boss.

Spoiler...
did anyone notice the mess up with the necklace? You lost it in the earthquakes and it was taken to awaken the "monster" but you still had it to light the crystals? Not very well thought through when it comes to a story line...

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 14 11:44 PM
Although this is a nice game, it's full of holes and should have never been offered as it is.

Apart from the fact that I seem to be able to skip whole stories, and just walk to the next one, there is this problem with the necklace, as IBmeWhoU stated. I was at the end of the game, where you once again lost your necklace in the earthquake, but then I get to this cave or dungeon or whatever, and was able to light up all the crystals "with my necklace still around my neck". However, I am not supposed to have it, Ryanna has it. So there seems to be a chunk of the story missing, because next I know, I am in this cave with Ryanna and the beast, and she has awoken it - with the necklace? and I am now fighting the beast. And all is well that ends well.

This is a really messed up game.

Go to: