Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Reviews for Dangerous Games: Prisoners of Destiny

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jan 31, 14 12:43 AM
Please post reviews here!

Edited on 01/31/2014 at 8:43:18 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Dangerous Games: Prisoners of Destiny

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 31, 14 1:28 AM
Sorry, catbag, gonna wait til I play this through before I review it again - there are some good reviews in the CE thread, though.

I don't know how to make a link, or even if we are allowed to, but there it is:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/3672.page

Edited on 01/31/2014 at 1:31:17 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 31, 14 8:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for staring the reviews thread catbag8717!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dangerous Games: Prisoners of Destiny here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dangerous Games: Prisoners of Destiny .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 31, 14 10:04 AM

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 11:34:36 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 31, 14 10:51 AM
Review of CE demo:

Destiny rides again

This is a new game, but when I read the summary it sounded familiar. I definitely have beta'd this some months ago.

I did like the concept of the game and the story as it unfolds. It is not entirely a new idea, but not one that has been worn out either.

The artwork is not dazzling, but it is certainly adequately done. Don't judge the game by the look of the very beginning. It gets better and the style changes to a fantasy style. Cut scenes are ok but not spectacular.

Voice overs are just Ok and the lips do not synch with the words. Also, the words at the bottom of the screen are center-justified which looks odd, especially when there are only a few words on the last line. These are small but noticeable flaws.

There is a jump map and it is needed as there is a LOT of backtracking. There is also an annoying black screen each time you navigate from scene to scene.

You pick up a purple furry rabbit/monkey that is your "helper." When I beta'd the game, helpers were a new idea, but now it is common. Personally, I could do without them. This one is no exception.

Hidden object scenes and puzzles are clear and easy, but the use of objects is not always clear or logical, and there are many active areas that are easy to miss. So look around a lot.

There are collectibles and pseudo-achievements. I say pseudo because you have to do them to advance.

Is it worth the CE price? Not to me, but few games are. I like this one a little but I can certainly wait for the SE.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 31, 14 4:04 PM
As you can see below, I had already given the CE demo a shot and my review stands the same today for the SE. As I said, I sometimes change my mind about a game when I play it a second time as an SE. That said, I seldom go back and buy it as a CE. Not found any jigsaw puzzle pieces in the SE, so must only be for the CE bonus version. There is a WT, but you really don't need it, as the hint works very well. I still had 23 min left so might be short. Liked it enough to use a credit today.

"A new story for a change! Graphics are very cartoony, but have very bright, nice colors and are well done. Game play was good, although moved a bit slowly. Nice voice overs, but very few and far between. Music wasn't too bad, but got annoying after a while. Inventory bar did lock, so you don't constantly have it jumping up and down.

There is a helpful jump map, which you will use a lot. There is a lot of returning to the same location for one thing or another, so put on your tennis shoes and get ready to exercise. Didn't use the hint, so can't comment on how fast or slow it recharges. We have another magic animal in this game, but he is quite funny and fun to watch.

HOGs are very simple and again, you need to find a part of something before you can pick it up and remove it from the list. Items are not hard to spot, but I found a few movements that didn't make much sense to me. Puzzles are very simple so far..hopefully they pick up as the game goes on. SG is helpful and locations are well identified.

The only collectibles I have seen are the cards that you need to collect and charge up before you can move to the next level, and the jigsaw puzzle pieces you collect in each scene. Not sure what you do with those, but I would guess it has something to do with the bonus level.

I really found this new story line to be interesting, but it was lacking something that would draw me into the game...not sure what. I do recommend this game for beginners, but not for the expert who wants more realistic graphics and a little more challenge. A game does not have to be extremely challenging for me to like it enough to buy it, but this one did not make me want to buy it as a CE. I have frequently changed my mind once I replay when the SE comes out, so never say never."

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Feb 1, 14 10:44 AM
Nice little game. I like being able to set the timer on my hints and skips. The game is easy even for me and I don't mind a stress free game at all! The HOS are stress and squint free, objects easy to find. The map is very helpful. Nice colorful graphics. All in all, an enjoyable game. 1/2. PS: The inventory does lock and I love that. Lock may be a little hard to see. It's on the right.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 1, 14 3:35 PM
Based on the demo

The graphics started out lackluster in the beginning then became more brilliant as the game progressed. The sound track was boring and low key. The voice overs were very good.

The storyline was interesting. The player takes a bus to get a job from an old friend during the depression, meets his friend's strange boss, and is hoodwinked into playing a card game, where he becomes trapped in the ultimate game of survival.

The hidden object scenes are not bad, junkpiles with some interactivity. The mini games were pretty interesting.

There is a cute fuzzy purple little helper animal to retrieve things for you.

There are a lot of bells and whistles that could make a good game but this game was just a little too slow moving with too much handholding. It might be a good game for beginners or players who want something light and easy.

I bought it but it's not the most exciting game I've every played, but it's okay.
Certainly worth the SE price.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Feb 4, 14 12:06 PM
I seldom write reviews because I basically stink at it and might have a game a week or two before I get around to playing it. I remember beta testing the game quite a while back and liked it then, so it was nice to see it for sale. The puzzles are quite good, but not too difficult and the HO's are okay, junk pile. I loved the thought of being 'stuck in a game' where you are the main player, trying to save not only yourself but others as well. And, the guy who sent you there in the first place didn't make it any easier and I was especially pleased that the game didn't abruptly end once you 'get back' to 'reality'. Waiting for a sequel - if there will be one. Oh, and you find this cute little rabbit-looking furry animal that helps you out. Thankfully, you didn't have to collect stuff to remodel his house or buy him clothes (hate that!). You even get to name him and his name shows when you hover the mouse over him in the inventory box. I wouldn't have bought the CE, getting tired of getting nothing but the same old stuff for twice the price, but as a SE it more than passes the test for me.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 20, 14 1:55 AM
Based on the demo, I agree for the most part with the previous reviewers. I do like the premise and the pretty pictures, but for some reason, I'm not falling out of my chair with excitement. I think this is partly because it was almost always impossible for me to guess what to do next without using a hint. Thankfully, it's possible to custom set the hint and skip refill times. (Why anyone would not want to have the shortest possible refills, I can't imagine, but there you are.)

Frankly, I can't muster much interest in rescuing silly people who would let anyone with a thin moustache, dead eyes, and a creepy, slithery voice talk them into playing games with him.

If it comes out as a DD, I'll probably buy it, but I don't think it's worth the SE price to me.

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 2:11:56 AM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 8, 14 9:18 PM
dollyflower wrote: Nice little game. I like being able to set the timer on my hints and skips. The game is easy even for me and I don't mind a stress free game at all! The HOS are stress and squint free, objects easy to find. The map is very helpful. Nice colorful graphics. All in all, an enjoyable game. 1/2. PS: The inventory does lock and I love that. Lock may be a little hard to see. It's on the right.

Nice game and dollyflower worded her review very well saying almost verbatim what I was going to say
This is what I call a no stress game, storyline, graphics, music, my little helper all were fine...There was a little lag in scene changes but I got used to it and was no big deal And at one point the cards 'stuck' and I couldn't get them back to the console but just backing out and coming back righted it
The game sort of started out slow and I was having second thoughts about playing it but soon I was 'hooked' and relaxed and enjoyed the clear hidden object scenes
I am giving this nice game & 3/4 and recommend it

I have a PC. It's a 64 bit Windows 7 pro

Edited on 10/08/2014 at 9:19:37 PM PST

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jan 9, 15 1:14 PM
Based on completed game:

What a fantastic SE game! I rarely play games in one setting but this one had me hooked. Clear, colourful graphics albeit w/ a whacko taste (loved that upside down scene!), engaging game play and even with tons of back-and-forth, it was never boring or irritating. At times, the gears icon in lieu of a hand (Ex: To turn a key) did confuse me a bit. The story was interesting even if it not new and flowed very well into different locales w/ a balance of just-right cut-scenes. Nothing overdone, IMHO.

Glad I got it on the recent Dev. sale and even happier that it turned out to be such a refreshing change. An SE with all above AND a story not left hanging for some bonus chapter certainly deserves !

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Feb 5, 15 3:22 AM
I agree with Radgame. I bought this game as a daily deal yesterday and played it right through to the end in an evening on casual mode. The colours are bright and mini games fairly varied. I liked that you unlock special cards that allow certain actions. If this is offered as another daily deal I recommend that you try it and see if you are hooked.

PS Forgot to mention that there is a blog walkthrough if you get really stuck.

Edited on 02/05/2015 at 3:23:36 AM PST

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Feb 5, 15 2:36 PM
Really good game if a trifle weird in parts. Good length and loads to do. Bargain at DD price.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 11, 15 7:21 AM
I swear, this game must have been created by developers who live in Washington or Colorado. Totally filled with the oddest array of characters, graphics and animations and an odd but confusing storyline (at times)!

I enjoyed this game, but found the "cards" a bit confusing at times and glad for the hints that popped up. Transporter map was very helpful and I did have to use the hint more than I usually do in a game. I found the mini puzzles tedious, but colorful most of the time and was able to skip them. Both the hint and skip refreshed quickly. Lots of HOS for those who are HOS fans which were moderately interactive and not really very hard.

Definitely an unusual game and I give it 3+ out of 5 and will probably play again just to wrap my mind around some of the stuff that goes on.

Go to: