Reviews for Fatal Passion: Art Prison Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 1, 14 1:13 AM
He’s No Da Vinci, But...

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I initially played the beta for this game, and really didn’t care much for it, although most of it was very good and professionally done. There have been significant improvements, which I saw immediately upon starting the demo. Nice to know those beta surveys are actually of use! The intro is different, and quite amusing, but it never really grabbed me.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
For a game about art, it is very dark. Mind you, the art is not Van Gogh or even Picasso, but of a much deadlier genre. The art is actually quite lovely in parts. Including the fatal stuff. The game is dark, but not so dark that you cannot see the colours around you or the items in HOP scenes. Exterior shots are not, to my mind, on a par with the close up and HOP scenes, but it is nevertheless of a professional standard.

The music and background noises are so unobtrusive I can’t remember them – whether that’s good or bad I’ll let you decide. I do remember some almost inaudible mutterings, as of people just out of hearing range, which I thought was absolutely excellent atmospheric stuff! The voices of the characters are also very well portrayed. Particularly young Beckie.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
A spurned lover turns to his (magical) art to take his revenge. From his palette spring forth all manner of scary stuff, from medieval dragons to deadly plants. But we are not helpless. We too can wield this magical palette and paint needed items into life. Got an evil flower to deal with? Paint up some weed killer! And that is exactly what you do. Some of the other problems caused by this grieving madman are really quite humorous. How much trouble can a bowl of Jello be, after all? Well, that depends on your point of view – outside looking in, or from the inside?

GAMEPLAY
A nice variety of puzzles and 3 types of HOPs. There are simple silhouettes, multiple items, and HOPs where you must replace the items to their correct spots. Each location is visited twice. The puzzles so far are easy and quite fun. I did not find the adventure moves intuitive, so had a bit of a hard time getting around for a while. But there is an interactive jump map, very basic but it does the job. And a directional hint. The journal consists of pages on the story and replayable videos.

To be continued...

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 8:42:27 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Fatal Passion: Art Prison Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 1, 14 1:14 AM
He’s No Da Vinci, But...

Gameplay Continued...

One thing about this game I like, there is plenty to do in each scene. This does lead to a little back and forth, but so far the locations are sensibly proportioned. Another thing that is kinda fun because it’s different, is a little thing. The needed items are sometimes found by being dislodged from their hiding spots within a HOP by the activity you are generating in it. Nothing spectacular, but worth a Mona Lisa smile. (*rueful grin* sorry, just had to)

CE BLING!
There are lots of achievements, including the collectibles, 30 lovely little birds, each different. The rest is standard. Note: Wallpaper, concept art, music,are not included! My goof, I am sorry! strategy guide, bonus chapter and replayable mini-games. The mini-games are accessed by another bonus game, Birds. About which I know nothing.

COMBINED IMPACT
This is a great concept, which the devs have handled quite well, if not sensationally. I certainly would have made more out of the magical pallet than they did. So I’m not overwhelmed, but it is definitely a decent game. Many will probably rate it higher than me, but I do think it could have been a little better.

I recommend this game!

ETA: orphan's post reminded me - I recommend playing the tutorial for this, even if you normally wouldn't (I usually don't), because it gives you the gist of the magical pallette and points out the first bird.

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 1:39:59 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 1, 14 2:06 AM
What looked to be a very standard HOPA game takes a turn to becoming interesting and had it not been for one very annoying feature, I would definitely consider buying it. The theme of today’s story is unrequited love and vengeance of a broken heart. We receive disturbing news about the disappearance of our niece following her marriage and our help is needed to investigate. As her uncle, we arrive to find ourselves head to head with an eccentric artist who is also in love with our niece and who has the capability to bring alive his creations that seems to be terrorizing the town. Graffiti that come to life attack our efforts and soon it becomes a cat and mouse chase to save our niece from a demented mind.

Graphics are good, sharp resolution with hand drawn scenes that at times is a bit cartoonish. Voice-overs are minimal along with special effects. The one really annoying thing about the game is the sound you get when you click on an area of interest. That sound became really irritating that I opted to turn down the volume which really spoilt the game for me. Sorry developers, but seriously that sound just ruined the entire game for me.

It really is too bad because I did enjoy the mechanics and game play became interesting after the first half hour. You are equipped with a journal, a paint palette that is needed to mix up special paints to overpower your opponent’s creations and a map that allows for travel as well as indicates areas of interest.

Game play is standard HOPA with a variety of Hidden Object scenes that include silhouettes to find, twelve of the same items to locate and replacing objects back into the scene which does excuse the fact that each HO scene is re-visited twice. There are mini-games that are interesting but relatively easy to solve and a lot of backtracking is involved, but you do have the map to help you out.

There are extras that include collecting birds which in this case have absolutely no reference to the storyline and there is a list of achievements. Incidentally, the list of achievements includes playing all three levels of difficulty and one is completing the game in less than four hours which tells me that it really isn’t that long of a game.

Fatal Passion for me is very standard and too predictable. There are no WOW moments and I really did not feel that the extras are worth the extra pennies. I suppose a good sale on CE would be more prudent but that annoying special effect just really makes me hesitate for now.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 1, 14 5:08 AM

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 8:44:43 AM PST

[Post New]by Schildchen on Feb 1, 14 7:37 AM

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 8:45:43 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 1, 14 7:53 AM

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 8:46:12 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Feb 1, 14 7:54 AM
While this was a very nice game, it is not CE worthy and I think I will wait until it is a SE. The graphics were lovely and most of the HOG scenes were not too dark. In fact, I thought they were pretty easy.

Finding the 30 birds collectibles were not that hard to find (at least so far) but I was annoyed that every time you found one a pop up in the middle of the screen appeared and did not go away until you clicked it. You could continue to play but that darn pop up still remained.

Since I keep the music down I really can't comment on that but I was happy to note that even by keeping it down it did not affect the volume of the voice overs.

Map is semi useful as it shows you objectives to still be done in a location but I really prefer when it shows active tasks only for that location. The further I get into a game the more it will show locations with objectives but by then I forget what item I need there and find myself hopping all over the place to find where to use that screwdriver or key or whatever.

The SG was not all that helpful with the puzzles/minigames. It showed the final solution but not how to arrive at it. Luckily the gate puzzle I was able to figure out by looking at the solution and then matching up the picture. Good thing turning the top tiles did not affect the rest of the puzzle or I would have been sol-lol.

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Feb 1, 14 8:26 AM
Had it not been for this weekend's "Groundhog" sale, I don't know whether I'd have bought this game. The storyline didn't absolutely blow my hair back, but I liked the graphics (except the cartoonish stuff). I love birds, so the collectibles were definitely up my street. I haven't found the game terrifically difficult so far, so it's looking quite likely that I'll sprint through it - only acceptable because I've bought the game at a sale price.

Two major gripes. One, which others have mentioned, is the fact that you have to click on 'menu' and then 'strategy guide', then close the SG and 'resume' the game. Possibly the devs are trying to encourage players not to refer to it too much, I don't know, but I didn't like it at all. The other BIG annoyance, and I see that Nilosh mentioned this too, was the "thunking" noise every time you clicked on something when the cursor turned to a hand . It was so unnecessary to include this, and it very quickly got on my nerves. I stopped clicking on things so much to try and avoid it. One other little thing - and I don't know if this is just me - but I had to click at least 2-3 times on my journal before it would open.

I never bother with wallpapers, concept art or music - wouldn't it be lovely if devs came up with an alternative 'extra' to justify paying the extra bucks? I've never thought that paying extra for what essentially amounts to an extra 30-45 minutes of gameplay was worth it (though I've been suckered in many times!).

Despite the above grumbling, I have - like I said - bought this game because it seems like quite a nice 'stroll in the park' kind of game whichwon't tax the little grey cells too much. Most of the time, when you pick up an item you know where you need to use it, plus the jump map reminds you where there are tasks to be done. Finally, of course, the question is: where is our missing bride-to-be?!!!!

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 8:28:47 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 1, 14 8:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fatal Passion: Art Prison Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fatal Passion: Art Prison Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 1, 14 11:40 AM
Game was ok, liked the collection of birds but the boom sound was turned off as it was annoying. Had a map where you found out tasks you needed to do. Hints reloaded fast and puzzles were ok. If I do buy it I will get the SE. Don't think it's CE material in my opinion. Give it 3 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 1, 14 2:49 PM
"Hell hath no fury" as a creepy stalker scorned. We have another game from OrNe set in the late 1800's. In your little French "aerostat" (just a fancy word for hot air balloon), you travel to your niece's wedding. Once you arrive, you realize your niece has been kidnapped by an obsessed lover. You, as her uncle, must try to rescue her. Her jilted, "appearance challenged" (ugly is so non PC) stalker is an artist who paints pictures which come to life as hideous, threatening plants and other items to prevent your niece from marrying her intended. (The sister in the jello mold is mildly amusing. )

This game to me is a "nice" game but not worthy of the coveted CE status. It is lacking some of the elements we have come to expect in CE games. If you are looking for a "light," mindless game which is easy to play and navigate, this would be it. It is a nice mixture of puzzles and HOPAs. Both the puzzles and HOPA scenes are very easy. The HOPA scenes are a combination of silhouette, locating items and replacing items. You also do not get a choice in playing another puzzle instead of the HOPA scenes. Many of our other devs are now giving us that option. The graphics are cartoonish and also not worthy of a CE in my opinion. There are only three levels of play and the middle level is filled with those dreaded sparkles. Most of us have complained that there should not be sparkles except in the easiest level. You cannot customize your game. Again, most of the other devs are offering us this option as well. This is another game which is "for the birds." Your collectibles are songbirds. With my collection of "birds," from the last few games I can qualify to be a lifelong member of the Audubon Society. Thursday, we had ravens - today we have songbirds.

I give this game 3 stars out of 5 stars for a CE. I actually like this game better than Thursday's offering. You get this game at a greatly reduced price - so, I will probably purchase it.

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 5:12:22 PM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 1, 14 2:54 PM
Based on the Demo

The graphics are beautiful, unbelievably beautiful with an intro reminiscent of the movie Reign of Fire. They are brilliant, colorful, and bright. The animation is extraordinary. The voiceovers are clear crisp and believable. The soundtrack is excellent with orchestral music in the background.

The storyline is easy to follow, nothing very new, but done in a unique way. It begins with a wedding invitation from your niece. You climb aboard your hot air balloon to travel to the wedding.

There is a map, strategy guide, and journal to assist you. Lots of bells and whistles. Thirty little birds to collect on your journey. There are eagle eye awards for finishing hidden object scenes without a hint and persistence awards for mini puzzles.

Hidden object scenes are very well done and follow the storyline. There is the requisite chili pepper in there. (What is it with hidden object games and chili peppers... LOL ) Mini puzzles range from easy to complicated to very complicated. All of them are fun to play. There is something to keep you busy every minute.

An instant buy for me.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 1, 14 3:52 PM
After receiving an invitation to attend your niece's wedding, you set off in your aerostat (umm hot air balloon) to attend. Of course the hot air balloon crashes. You pick yourself up, dust off, and continue into the town where you run into a crazed painter (who happens to be the jilted ex of your niece). He is able to paint things that come to life. You get your own little palette and can paint things to deter the things that he paints. Ooookkkk. Yes, it's an original idea. I liked it. The graphics are absolutely fantastic. The dragon in the opening scene is flawlessly done. There are varied HOS and mini games or puzzles which range from easy to not so easy. I am not very good at the puzzles, so you may find them simple. There are 30 birds to collect and game related achievements. You do get a jump map and journal and there is a SG and bonus chapter. It's a pretty game, but for me, it's lacking in challenge and depth. It seems to me that recent games have raised the creativity of their HOS while keeping gameplay extremely linear and basic. I would rather see a game with the reverse happening. This game, while having a catchy story line and awesome graphics, is simple. Too simple. Find a key, use the key, see what's in the room, etc. I don't think it's worthy of CE status, but that is my own opinion. A game has to be over the top in the extras for me to purchase a CE whether there is a sale or not. An extra 45 minutes of gameplay, usually about something totally unrelated to the story I just played, does not warrant the game to be a CE. I would definitely purchase the SE, but for now I shall wait

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 1, 14 4:18 PM
Afternoon all. Okay, first off, I like dragons. Story is a little different than most, even though you are saving the woman as always. Graphics are nice and fairly clear. Colors are pretty dark. So far, everything seems to be happening at night, hopefully that changes and it lightens up. Game play was good, no problems at all. Music was okay and tolerable. I liked how the paintings came to life, which added a bit more fun to the game.

HOPs were nice, items fairly easy to find, not crowded and junky. You had standard HOP, silhouette and "place this where it belongs" type HOPs, which is fun and keeps a game from getting boring quickly. HOPs are repeated. Did not care for the location of the SG. It needs to be on the game page and not on the menu page. Hint system is quite helpful and fills quickly, so you don't really need the SG. Jump map was nice, but I didn't find the need to use it much. Some of the found items within the game were quite small and not easy to see. Most of the puzzles were different and took a bit of thought and time to complete.

You do have birds to collect and believe me, some are very small and difficult to see, but if you look carefully, you will find them. Very disappointed in that this game would have been very nice if it had some sound FX and more voice overs. It was just too quiet. This game is not very challenging, but I did enjoy the puzzles and the story. I'm just not sure it is CE worthy. I will put this one in my puddle and think on it a bit. As I have said before, I sometimes change my mind when the SE comes out and I play it again...I don't usually purchase the CE version though. If I feel it is CE worthy, I will get it now. Not sure what is was, but it just didn't make me want to run out and buy it now.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 2, 14 1:35 AM
I don't know what's happening with CE's lately but this is another one that is just a big disappointment. Someone started a thread called 'you are going to love this'; I didn't.

Graphics were ok but seemed a bit dark in places. Looks like the game is fairly HOS-heavy; on the middle choice of play options I got sparkles for these but didn't notice them anywhere else. In the time I played (which wasn't the whole demo) the puzzles were do-able. As for the story, it's been done before and was instantly forgettable. So was this game.

My biggest gripe was the lack of widescreen. When are these developers going to start using 16:9 aspect ratio?? Clearly it's not unachievable since virtually every other dev has done it; I didn't buy a w/s monitor to have black bars down the sides of my games. I have overlooked this in the past for exceptional CE's but they are rare these days and this game certainly isn't one of them. I doubt I'll even consider the SE.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 2, 14 5:32 PM
Fatal Passion avoids fatal mistakes

The story of unrequited, secret love is nothing really new (actually quite old), but it was still holding my interest through the trial time. There may be a little too much "help" for some, as the on screen hints pretty much tell you what type of object you need to find to complete an action.

Not a new idea - painting an object and it comes to life (Drawn, anyone?) but this game manages to pull it off well. Games can sometimes overly rely on one "trick" but here it does not seem to be over-used. In this game, you have to actually make your paint before you can use it.

The bird collectibles are fantastic. Beautifully drawn and look almost real. I love birds, and at least some of them appeared to be actual species. However, I could not see a way to view the birds once they are collected - which is a shame. Suggestion for developer: it would have been a WOW to be able to see the collected birds in a separate viewing area, together with their names.

The artwork is done is a semi-realistic style which should be familiar to fishes. Puzzles and mini games showed some inventiveness or at least a twist on the usual ones. There was one painting/drawing puzzle during the trial (hate those) but I found the others interesting an somewhat more challenging than usual, but not difficult. Hidden object scenes had several twists thrown in, but were fairly easy.

I like the game, and if my suggestion above was part of the CE I would consider making this one of the few CE's I own. As it stands, I'll keep my "passion" in check until the SE is released.

ETA clever closing line.
ETA (2) - Another fish (stusue) informed me that you CAN view the birds separately from the "Extras" menu. So IMHO, the CE is now the better option.

Edited on 03/05/2014 at 3:34:51 PM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Feb 2, 14 11:29 PM
I was oh so excited to see a game by this developer...orneon....not sure if I can say them or not...but this is soooo disappointing. I love the Secrets of the Dark series and Agency of Anomalies! I just bought the CE of Mind Invasion but this one I wonder if i'll even buy the SE of.

The story line is ok, scorned lover, nothing new but its what most stories are built on even in real life. Crimes of passion. The hidden object scenes are done really well and I quite liked them. There are 3 different types.

Where this game fell short for me was sound effects, game difficulty and other annoying game aspects. Difficulty has 3 choices. Casual, Advanced & difficult. I prefer NO sparkles on anything so its very nice when devs let us customize it but this is either advanced with sparkles and hints OR difficult with NO sparkles, NO hints, NO skips. I like having hints available and yes you can change it in the options menu BUT that is really annoying to go back and forth!

Sound effects are awful. The sound when you touch items gets really annoying! Its like a buzzer almost and whenever you have a new objective, it pops up really big on the screen! Even on difficult mode! I do not like having big banners pop up in my face and I like being able to turn off objectives. I do not like turning off sound. Games are much better when immersed in the environment.

I do like the fact there is a lock on the inventory, a new game instead of another sequel, an interesting palette that turns things to life, mini games were somewhat puzzling which I enjoy.

But overall...I am just not happy with this game and it saddens me because I know what this dev can do and seeing this mess is just a total let down especially after Agency of Anomalies-Mind Invasion CE. Its like this is made by completely different devs but its not! I own every single game by this dev so the fact I am passing on this one definitely says something.

Edited on 02/02/2014 at 11:30:35 PM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 3, 14 9:54 AM
I liked this game at first but then began having problems with the cursor, sticking and the game slowing. This kept up throughout the trial hour and was disturbing to me. I lost the fun of playing so it is not a buy for me at this time.

Perhaps a punch card selection. Though I love the idea of paintings coming to life and I really would like to see how the wedding turns out, if it does, the mess with the cursor is just too annoying to continue.

Agree totally with twinsoniclab about the SG.

Edited on 02/03/2014 at 9:58:39 AM PST

boldy1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by boldy1 on Feb 3, 14 10:01 PM
was not worth the money .

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 4, 14 12:06 PM
Finishing this game, I found I was not at all bored playing it. I have played other games mentioned in this thread for comparison reasons, however, painting certain items, which eventually become a mini-game is a new one for me. No portals, YAY! Just a simple town, with a wonderful map that lets you know where action is available, and not only can you jump to that location, but a scene of the location pops up, so you know if you are in the right place. Wish all of the games made this a standard. I like dragons and I didn't really want to slay mine, but you have to, so be it! Mini-games are not difficult, neither are the HOPs, and there is variety. I even played the Bonus chapter which sort of put a "nice ending" to all of the chaos in the game. If you click on the extra's button, then you can see all of the birds you collected, and all of your achievements, so you sort of know ahead of time what you need to do to get the achievements. Having said all of that, it was a really nice game to play, you don't have to "overthink" the objectives, and once again, a really cool map. I bought the CE and for me, it was worth it. Lots of things to do and it's not just running around trying to find items, or keys...and did I mention NO PORTALS??? YAY X 2.

Go to: