off subject question-general computer housekeeping

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 1, 14 5:12 AM
Not sure where to ask this, sionce the general forums have collapsed..

What are you all doing with the games? I'm quickly running out of space on my hard drive. We did buy an external drive but just sliding an icon over doesn't work. I've been told you have to uninstall and reinstall onto the External drive by a guy at Staples. Hmmm.
Thoughts?
thanks and sorry BFG for popping this question in here.
kris

hopieq
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

Re:off subject question-general computer housekeeping

[Post New]by hopieq on Feb 1, 14 5:27 AM
I also have purchased MANY games. When I finish with the game if I know I don't want to play again any time soon I just uninstall. It will show up in your account under purchases. If you want to play again just re install. this will free up space on your hard drive.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 1, 14 5:30 AM
Sent you a PM about this!

Bee921
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by Bee921 on Feb 1, 14 6:09 AM
Right click on the install file, choose send to, click the drive letter of your external drive.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 1, 14 7:06 AM
I must have bought more than 200 games from BFG; if I kept them all on my PC I'd have run out of disc space long ago! I too have an external hard drive but keep that for more important programmes like my anti-virus and back-ups.

I keep around 30 games on the GM; the rest get deleted once I've played them, especially CE's as many nowadays are over 1gb. They can always be re-downloaded from my purchase history if I fancy playing them again.

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Feb 1, 14 8:20 AM
If you try a game from BFG, when you download it you download the game set-up files which are files that end in .exe ( short for execute ). That allows your computer to install the game & also allows it to create App. Data files to save your progress in the game & other things pertaining to that game. When you Uninstall a game by clicking on the Trash Can to the right of the game title in your Game Manager, you are only deleting the .exe files. That means that your saved progress & anything else in the App. Data files are still in your computer taking up space in your Hard Drive. If you start running out of space then games will get slower. You'll 1st start to notice when playing a game like MCF: Fate's Carnival & instead of going immediately from one scene to another, you have to wait a few seconds.

Usually, if replay a game, I'll start from the beginning. Unless you want to keep the App. Data to finish the game or some other reason like having access to a Screen Saver or Wallpaper. It's a good idea to Delete the App. Data for the game, too. To delete the App. Data, you have to open Windows Explorer & search your computer for the Game Title. When the search is complete, you'll see some folders labeled App. Data. & you can delete them. The other files with the game title are files like the history of checking the forum page & aren't important.

When I Uninstall a game that I don't plan to play for a while & especially a game that I tried & have no intent to buy. I make sure to delete the App. Data. If you wait until you are having problems, you won't remember the game titles.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Feb 1, 14 9:36 AM
Thank you, kindly, ganonsbane. What you say makes perfect sense. You're obviously an IT person.

This is exactly the kind of help we need rather than the usual standard template advice.

If you don't mind, I'll copy and paste your post to Word so I won't lose this info. I'll do a proper clean up over the next few days, plus the usual cleaning of cache and defragmentation.

Who knows, even Lake Bliss may run at a speed approaching something like normal game scene transitions for myself and other gamers.

Please don't be a stranger.... I think we need you!!!

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Feb 1, 14 9:46 AM
Thank you, ganonsbane, I also copied your reply so I can refer to it in future.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 1, 14 11:23 AM
Hey there Everyone,

Great responses to kris_cross48's issue! Just so you know for the future, the best place to post about these kinds of issues is the dedicated tech thread we have in each game forum. I have provided a link direct to this thread if you would like to continue posting HERE

You can also feel free to contact our Tech Support Team at any time if you have specific questions. Since this thread is concerning a tech issue, to keep things tidy I need to lock it.

bfgWendwater

Go to: