BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

Reviews for Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 2, 14 2:08 AM
Based on the Demo

The visuals are very well done. Clear, clean, crisp graphics with lots of special effects. The soundtrack begins eerie and creepy, the voice overs are great, especially the screams. Part of the soundtrack is sing-song harp music during some of the places you visit through the portal.

There are creepy, eerie characters throughout although some parts of the game are more fantasyish than dark and eerie.

The storyline is good. The heroine awakens from a dream about her uncle, tries to telephone him and gets no answer so she takes a train to his house. Previously the two of them had been building a time portal.

The hidden object scenes are very well done, most of the interactive. Mini puzzles range from easy to moderately hard.

There is a journal, an interactive map, and an artifact that lights up and assists you. Lots of bells and whistles to make a great game.

Edited on 02/02/2014 at 9:32:06 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 2, 14 3:08 AM
IN BRIEF****

BASED ON CE DEMO

High quality graphics, more beautiful than pretty, with an emphasis on realistic animation and totally imaginary images! For those of you worrying, is this another cute pet game? Well, so far the only animals, mythical or otherwise, have been a particularly mean and salivating Cerberus and a morphing spider.

You and your uncle have built a portal. Unc got himself into trouble and you are going to have to help. You find an artifact that reacts with the portal, and when you put in a series of code symbols, you are into another realm.

I do like the HOPs in this game in particular. There are interactive word lists. Also multiples and pictures to find. These last two are as interactive as a typical word list, but there is no indication of which ones are affected, which makes it a little more challenging than other HOPs of that type. For instance, when looking for 12 beetles, you will need to shake things, open things and fix things to find them all.

The journal has notes, objectives, achievements, the artifact’s details, and unfortunately, the interactive jump map. It’s a hassle to get to it. The hint is directional.

I didn’t find the puzzles too difficult yet, but they were a bit more challenging than in comparable games. Still I didn’t need skip...

This game is a good CE game, a pleasure to watch and a little bit tougher than most fantasy games. Still, not spectacular.

I recommend this game!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Feb 2, 14 9:31 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgDeveron

Edited on 02/02/2014 at 9:31:44 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 2, 14 10:27 AM
Played about 10 minutes of the demo and deemed this a buyer without going further. Crisp, clear graphics, HOS are different as far as I can tell and puzzles seem to be moderately easy. I don't have a lot of patience with puzzles so I tend to skip when I get to the point they are tedious.

Game has a transporter map, ..and it indicates where "action" needs to be taken. A bit hard to see where you are on the map though. There is a journal and I have not had to use it yet...I very seldom use journals and sometimes wonder why they put them in some games. Hint and Skip seem to refresh quite quickly.

I did have to turn off the voice overs which doesn't eliminate them all, but does get rid of that whiny female voice. Music appears to be OK.

I am enjoying this game a great deal. There were no reviews when I downloaded the demo so I thought I would stop and give my view of the game at this point...but it looks like at least 2 beat me to it! I highly recommend this game. At this point a definate 5 out of 5.

Additional: Just finished this fantastic game. A lot of puzzles, but they are pretty easy to do which makes the game enjoyable. HOS have a lot of variety. Game moves along smoothly with the help of the map and clues you pick up. Ends very well...graphics are very nice. Well worth the money!

Edited on 02/03/2014 at 7:21:21 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 2, 14 3:44 PM
From the CE demo review:

Mythic Wonders doesn't really "Wow"

This is a nice game, just that. I would not say wonderful, jaw-dropping, spectacular, or even especially creative. It is just a nice game.

If you like adventure type games, you may like this - although there are a fair number of hidden object scenes. This is a game centered around an "artifact" which has special powers which you collect and use. So if you are into those type games, be sure to give it a try.

Since the story involves visiting different "realms" (others have summed it up well) the drawing style is towards the fantasy end of the spectrum, but not overly so. The palette is fairly pleasing to the eye. Similarly the objects that you collect are an odd assortment, more heavily leaning on natural objects than is typical.

As (another reviewer) noted, hidden object scenes do require a lot of interaction, but still were not too challenging. Puzzles and mini-games were of similar difficulty. I saw a painting mini-game during the demo (not a favorite of mine). Also (not surprisingly) you will mix potions.

Voice overs (in the demo) were good, based on only two voices. Cut scenes were above average to good.

Good game for the adventure / fantasy lovers. Worth the CE price? Not to me.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Feb 2, 14 4:49 PM
This is a good game. Glad I didn't buy CE as I found this to be a short game. Hogs are fun and puzzles ok but simple.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Feb 16, 14 4:06 PM

Such a pleasure to play a game with beautiful, clear, and colourful graphics.

Very well done story, good twist at the end. Travelling to different places makes it more interesting for me.

Hidden object scenes and puzzles were well done.

I wouldn't say this is a difficult game to play, quite relaxing played in casual mode.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 28, 14 9:35 AM
bessiegirl wrote:Played about 10 minutes of the demo and deemed this a buyer without going further. <snip> I am enjoying this game a great deal. <snip> I highly recommend this game. At this point a definite 5 out of 5.

Additional: Just finished this fantastic game. A lot of puzzles, but they are pretty easy to do which makes the game enjoyable. HOS have a lot of variety. Game moves along smoothly with the help of the map and clues you pick up. Ends very well...graphics are very nice. Well worth the money!

For some reason, I didn't have much hope for this one initially, but I decided to give it a try anyway. I'm really glad I did! This is the most enjoyable game I've played in a long time, in spite of the fact that we have yet another woman going to rescue a man (her uncle) who's gotten himself in trouble. And yet... did he? There may have been a whisper of a hint that there's more to this story than we think.

Finally! A game I can recommend with no qualifications.

Edited on 03/28/2014 at 9:48:08 AM PST

Go to: