Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Echoes of Sorrow II

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 3, 14 2:05 AM
These Developers are no strangers and have been around for some time, producing exceptional games that always promise to entertain. Unfortunately I am disappointed with today's game, and found nothing entertaining about it.

What is up with all those sparkles and glints? Seriously, is it a glitch or are we taking hand-holding to a new level? Despite the fact I chose advance mode of play, I see sparkles and glints and arrows everywhere and the fun just died along with the game.

I will be truthful and say that I am no fan of the story either. So my husband is a journalist that I love and respect, also the Father of my twins. Suddenly my Father is dead and hubby is arrested and what do I do? I marry the third wheel who incidentally was my Father's partner in crime. And so our story continues by traveling into the comatose mind of my ex to find out where my twins are and what really happened to my husband. Ok so the story isn’t that bad but still, I really dislike the woman for having married the other man. Where is the love?

A very classic HOPA with cartoonish one dimensional graphics that are sharp, voice-overs and I liked the music in the background. Game features only include a journal and that really is it. You have standard hidden object scenes that are not interactive, basic mini-games and alot of back-tracking to do picking up and using inventory items.

Had it been not for the sparkles, the glints, the constant poking at you to go here or there, I may have enjoyed the game for what it was: a classic HOPA. Needless to say I will definitely pass on this as my eyes need shades to play this game. I really think these developers need to keep up with the times.

Edited on 02/03/2014 at 9:07:31 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for Echoes of Sorrow II

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 3, 14 2:34 AM
All I want to know is: who let this oldie out of the attic?

I remember the first "Echoes of Sorrow", which came out in March 2011, and which I really liked - despite the somewhat crude graphics.

This game looks as if it's been made right after, but not been released until just now.

--- --- ---

There are TWO difficulty modes (first sign of an oldie): Casual and Expert.

There is widescreen (that's a nice addition), and a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is NO voice-over (second sign of an oldie), although some newer games don't have voices either. Still...

ETA: I see that some peeps do get voices. That can only mean that you have to have the music on if you want to hear voices. I never turn the music on, so there is another real oldie.

The HOS are all basic lists, with no interaction (third sign of an oldie).

When you dare to click just a few times randomly around, you get a penalty (fourth sign of an oldie).

The Hint button takes 35 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes a whole 90 seconds to fill in Casual mode (do I dare say that's the fifth sign of an oldie?).

When you are in a scene, every directional arrow that could possibly show the different exits are all there at the same time (another oldie).

Too much bling-bling for my liking, even for Casual mode, and too much hand-holding all round. I don't dare play in Expert mode, who knows how long I will have to wait to be able to skip a puzzle, although so far I was able to do them.

There is NO Map.

You can NOT lock the Inventory to stay on top. It will always disappear until needed.

The graphics haven't really improved since the first game came out, but they seem a tad better - unless I am just willing myself to believe it.

--- --- ---

Well, the story is rather compelling, and I do like the HOS (even though you get to find some of the same objects the second time round as you did the first time) - they are not junk piles, and the objects are large enough not to need a magnifying glass.

I may or may not get this game another time, when I need an extra punch perhaps.

Edited on 02/03/2014 at 10:46:38 PM PST

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 3, 14 6:22 AM
I totally agree with Valdy on this game. The glints and arrows and hand holding were over the top, and that was in advanced mode. I found the front door key and the key hole lit up like the Fourth of July. I entered the room and there were enough arrows to direct a hoard of people. The deal breaker for me, totally and with out question, was the click penalty. I will NOT play a game with a click penalty. And this penalty was for things outside of the HOS. This developer needs to do much better than this.

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Feb 3, 14 6:28 AM
I find this game more annoying than fun and I am so sorry I actually bought it. I have been trying to open the safe for the past half hour but to no avail. I have tried to use every number combination on the Mafia boss' picture but again, to no avail. I guess unless anyone can offer any help with the safe, I will be deleting this dumb game. :-(

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Feb 3, 14 6:55 AM
I played this game awhile back. It is not as good as the first one.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Feb 3, 14 7:20 AM
Thanks for the reviews because now I don't have to waste my time downloading this game. I hope tomorrow is a better game day.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Feb 3, 14 9:05 AM
Sooooooooooooooooo many sparkles and arrows at advanced level - yikes no wonder the poor women cant find anything - just look at the state of the place - me thinks the kids should stay where they are.
But just to add this is hand holding over and above what we would expect.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Feb 3, 14 9:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Echoes of Sorrow II here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Echoes of Sorrow II.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 3, 14 10:11 AM
Not For Me

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Very low key intro with the character’s voiceover explaining (confusingly) the lover’s triangle that tore her world apart. The voice is good, the cut scene graphics are not. But not enough to distract.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Graphics throughout the game are good, nothing special, but that’s okay, right? The HOP scenes are static, which is NOT good. It gives this game a flat look.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
We pick up this story after your husband is shot by your jealous ex, Luke, who has also killed your father and kidnapped your children. Using the mind machine from the first Echoes Of Sorrow, you enter the comatose mind of your husband, seeking the truth behind all the violence. And apparently, we are not going to like it.

MAKING PROGRESS
There are 2 types of HOP in this game – multiples, and interactive lists. The list HOPs (static, no interaction) are visited twice. Sometimes asking for the same items. There are many, many puzzles and mini-games. I didn’t find them all that hard or original.

Except one lock pick mini-game that required hand/eye coordination to complete. I probably won’t buy this game, specifically because of this mini-game. Skip is quite slow even on easy, and the mouse movements needed had me slipping out of the puzzle window continuously, at which point the skip counter started again. After endless attempts at being patient for the lengthy skip to fill, I just gave up on the game. (Where there’s one nasty niggly thing, there’s sure to be more.)

The journal keeps information after the event as well as codes etc. The directional hint is good, but you must wait for a refill to go each step to the right location. Luckily, it refills a lot faster than skip!

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I quite liked the first Echoes Of Sorrow, despite its age and simplicity, but this one, well it just frustrated me. It will suit many others, though, and there are a lot worse games out there. Still, going with my gut ...

I don’t recommend this game!

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 3, 14 11:26 AM
Based on the Demo

I enjoyed the graphics: glitzy, like a high gloss magazine. They were clear, crisp, and clean. The soundtrack was excellent, piano music that turned into orchestral music. It was beautifully done and appropriate for this game. Voiceovers were well done. There was an eerie and spooky quality to some of the soundtrack.

The storyline was great. There is a powerplay between the heroine's husband and father. Her father ends up dead. Husband goes to prison for ten years. There is another man waiting in the wings for her. She marries him. Now, ten years later, husband number one is released from prison. High drama and terror ensue.

The hidden object scenes are well done. There is no interactivity, just straight point and click on the objects in the list. The mini puzzles were a lot of fun. There is no reset button but there is a skip button.

There is a journal that I never used. It just repeats the story.

There are no collectibles or achievements but you collect photo pieces, marbles, tiles, and pieces of sheet music to use in the mini games.

This is a great game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 3, 14 12:30 PM
Morning all. Well, Valdy said it all...nuff said. Definitely no challenge, definitely no purchase for me today. Maybe tomorrow

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 3, 14 12:49 PM
Game is fun and like that it has lots of HOG's and Puzzles. Haven't come across a map yet so guess it don't have one. Have played half of the trial and haven't had to use a hint so that's something. Great that it's an SE as we don't see too many of them now. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 3, 14 5:19 PM
An old school game from Alls A War. (Boy, there are a lot of those old Alls A War games in storage somewhere). Another game in the "unrequited love" department. You marry your college sweetheart. However, as usual, there is another guy, John, who is secretly in love with you The other guy becomes friends with your father, and it appears he and your father are involved in some type of illicit activities. To me, the story becomes a little confusing here. Somehow your husband becomes involved as well (or maybe he is framed?) and ends up going to prison - so, like a good little wife and mother, you divorce him and marry the other guy. Gosh love is fickle! Your ex-husband is released from prison. The game begins with you returning home and not being able to locate your children.

Actually, I did not think this game as horrible as others on this site. This game is definitely older technology. There are only two choices for level of play. I chose the more advanced version of the game and still had those dreaded "sparkles." As a matter of fact this is the greatest amount sparkles I have seen in a game. Geesh! This is really a Fourth of July "sparkle fest." The level I played stated that there would be "no sparkles." Go figure. If the game did not have the sparkles, it would be better accepted. The HOG scenes I have encountered are not interactive. However, it is somewhat of an adventure game because you have to look for inventory items throughout the house. The puzzles are a little dated (we have seen all of them before in one fashion or another) ; however, they are somewhat challenging. The graphics are definitely dated and cartoonish. I have only encountered voice at the beginning. The "muzac" is okay. There is journal but no map. I give this 3 stars out of 5 stars for an SE. It is playable if you can tolerate all those sparkles. Unfortunately, they give me a headache - so - it is a pass for me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 3, 14 5:21 PM
Got to the first HOS scene and realize very quickly this game has a very sensitive "click" penalty...very old school and unacceptable. More than 3 clicks and it fogs up....no way. I could handle the abundance of sparkles and I don't just mean a few small sparkles I felt like the fairy godmother had just cast a spell...an absolute spewing of sparkles, but the click penalty was what killed the game for me....no fun and developers by now have caught on to the fact that gamers do not tolerate that. Into the trash with this one...and sad...it may have been a good game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 3, 14 6:13 PM

Echoes II fails to faithfully repeat

I too (or should I say II, what's with the roman numerals?) own and have played the first EOS and liked the game. This one is hard to relate to the original. It is not a continuation.

Drawing style is grainy and unfinished looking. The voice overs are ok but are only heard during cut scenes, not other dialog. The music - if you can call it that - is really hard to endure. There is no discernable melody, rather it sounds like random notes played on a piano continually, with a discordant harmony.

See Nilosh's fine recap of the story, that does not make much sense to me either.
Halfway through the demo, the game scene changes from a house to a hospital. At this point it seems like you are playing a totally different game.

The hidden object scenes have no interaction other than finding the object. And they are not well thought either .Objects totally unrelated to the scenes are pictured. Examples from a scene in a hospital storeroom: a film reel, cassette tape, video cassette, portrait etc.

Those who do not like "sparkles" will notice they are everywhere you look, except they appear after you hover your mouse over an active area.

This game is not really up to the standards of what is being released today, and never really drew me in to the story so I cannot recommend it.

Wicked500
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Wicked500 on Feb 3, 14 7:10 PM
It was a cheesy game and differently not the a great game. But once in a while I enjoy playing a game of this type, simple, no achievements, no collectables. Try it out and see if it is for you. I know that it is not a lot of players cup of tea.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Feb 4, 14 1:38 AM
Lasted one minute then deleted, and I don't care who that upsets, you know who you are. I chose a level that said there were no sparkles. They were everywhere. Sorry but if a game say click here, sparkle sparkle, then click here, sparkle sparkle, then I really don't want to know, don't care if it's the best game in the world, if I can't play it without being shown every move there's no point.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 4, 14 1:41 AM
I've never cared much for the way this developer does HOPA's and this one is no exception. Five minutes into the game, having chosen expert mode to avoid sparkles, what do I find but things glinting at me all over the place. Did I really need to be shown where to use the front door key? Apparently the dev thought so, since it glinted non-stop. On entering the house, there were about half a dozen arrows all at once showing me where to go.

Guess where I went? Straight out of this game. If I ask for no sparkles then why do I get them? Add to that a bizarre, 'love triangle' story line, unimpressive graphics, cartoon-like cut scenes and way too much hand-holding in expert mode; I wouldn't even use a PCC on this game.

This dev make some great TM games; in my opinion they should stick to making them if this is the best they can do.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Feb 12, 14 7:39 AM
In addition to all negatives of the game:

IS lT NORMAL to bury the spare key of your house in a pot in such
a depth that you need to find a trowel to take it out?

IS IT NORMAL to try to open your library room -where your husband keeps his
papers and your kids play with the globe- and find it so rusted that is needs
oil to open?

IS IT NORMAL to ask for a room key in the local hospital and find out
that all the keys -hanged in a spot like in the hotels- are completely useless because they are all rusted?

HOW OFTEN do you destroy the floor in your husband's hospital room because
you are curious to see what is on a small hole, then leaving a huge hole behind?

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 17, 14 9:01 PM
After playing the first Echoes of Sorrow, I didn't like it that much, BUT "thought" maybe the 2nd one would be better??? Although the story line did follow through with a logical progression, it still lacked the want/ need/ urgency to find out what happens next.....for me, at least. I was happy that the cursor was improved, still don't like the "dancing" directional arrows, but you can't have everything, I suppose. I just wonder why so many other games are just top notch and I feel like I scraped this one out of a heap of games to play after finishing all of my CE's. Graphics are not up to par with today's games. I do however liked one aspect of the game and that was to use a friggin saw to cut around a lock! That was a new one. Always try to find something positive about a game. Anyway, try the freebie hour and see if you like it. I would not recommend this game basically because there is nothing holding my interest throughout this whole game. I basically went location to location, found what I needed and finished the game. It's just so dated. I wouldn't waste my time, or $, or even a freebie on this one.

Go to: