bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Reviews for My Kingdom for the Princess IV

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 4, 14 8:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on My Kingdom for the Princess IV here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on My Kingdom for the Princess IV.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Re:Reviews for My Kingdom for the Princess IV

[Post New]by BossBrat on Feb 4, 14 10:10 PM
I wasn't sure I wanted to purchase this game after reading a lot of negative comments, so I did the trial version first, just to make sure it was enough like the first 3 for me to want to buy it. It only took 5 levels of chapter 1 to know that I had to stop and purchase right away and have been playing off and on since!

The first chapter of this series of games has always been rather 'slow', but once you move on to chapter 2, things get a little tougher, even though I have completed all the levels with gold stars. I'm sure by chapter 3, I'll have to replay some of the levels, which is a good thing! Love a little challenge.

Some people said the paths were hard to see, but I'm not having that problem and I have really horrible eyesight. Yes, it takes more than one trip to pick up things now, but once you have more than 1 worker, it goes quickly and is quite fun to click on the items more than once, especially when you 'speed up' your workers. Sometimes they run faster than I can click in that mode, lol.

This game is basically the same kind of gameplay as the first three, excepting with this one the area seems more compact, for lack of another word. You expand houses, mines, etc., as before, but this one always has an object, forgot the name, that kills the flying dragon things you see in some levels. You can also click them with your pointer to destroy them, which is also fun for me. Love killing those monsters!

This game is definitely not for everyone; but anyone who has played the first three games in the series should at least give it a try and not let the comments by others stop you from doing so.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Feb 4, 14 10:54 PM
I have to say, I usually love these games, but this one is just so different - I played through the first level and I am just having a lot of problems with it. The big one is that it is very difficult for me to see. There is just no clarity with the graphics. By the time I play a few levels my shoulders are so tight I can't say I am enjoying it. I loved the previous games - I don't know why the severe changes. It was a great game as it was. I did buy it simply because I had loved the previous ones and bought them but a little sorry I did so.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Feb 5, 14 12:31 PM
I downloaded the demo and almost at once did not like the way the game was set up. I loved the other games in this series but this one seems to have been rushed through as quickly as possible.

Because of the past games I stuck with it through three levels and decided "enough was enough" and deleted it.

Maybe it was the island in the sky layout and of course that very annoying voice in the background which even in the past games set my teeth on edge.
lovemybook summed it up nicely.

I seldom complain about a game but this one is deffinately(sp) a no buy for me.

[Post New]by pastrpatti on Feb 5, 14 2:21 PM
I was so excited to see this game come out - I just finished the demo time and I don't think I will be buying it. Compared to the last three of this series, I absolutely hate it. I don't like having to click on something three times to get all of it. I don't like the annoying dude in the first chapter who keeps telling me stuff I already know (didn't see anywhere to disable tutorial). I don't like the islands in the sky. The game play is just "off" and instead of being fun to do what is needed, I was just annoyed. Nope, no buy. Very disappointed.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Feb 5, 14 4:09 PM
I think this game is great, I'm having fun with it so far, can't say I feel disappointed and I love the entire series and played the other 3 games several times... I also understand the clicking thing is maybe a nag but it's actually a very good change they made to our advantage - I opened a thread explaining why on this forum. We may have to run a little more but there are obvious benefits to that.
I ignored the dude whenever I didn't need him and really don't see what's wrong with islands in the sky. If what you mean is them moving around then there's an option to disable that and that's that. I like this game, I'm having fun. Also some new features like being able to que tasks which is great, I'm glad there are no mini-games like in the 2nd game of this series which were horrible for me personally. All's good really. Thanks!

Edited on 02/05/2014 at 4:11:36 PM PST

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Feb 6, 14 9:28 AM
I think it's nice that they tried to come up with some things to make the series a bit fresher again. The graphics are fine with me, I have no problem with them and think they look quite nice. They are clear enough for me. The island in the sky thing is neither good nor bad for me.

In the previous versions, one could pick things up at once, now one has to run three times - some other tasks also require doing something several times. It's a bit annoying at first, but I got used to it.

I really like that it's possible to chain actions - so much more convenient! In general, I think the game is nicely paced.

The only thing that really spoils it for me is the stupid dragons. I didn't like it when I had to click on some bird or similar thing in the previous versions, but at least it was just one bird at a time. Now, there's a bunch of those dragons flying around, and even if this tower that shoots at them is ready, he doesn't get them all, or at least not at once. So I have to interrupt the game for some silly clickfest. It also ruins the chaining and some of the bonus things - what good is a third worker if he stays in the house for almost the whole bonus 30 seconds because of the dragons. If I want to shoot at things, I'll get a shooter game. The dragons are far too disrupting for my taste. Otherwise, I'd have bought this game immediately, but now I won't.

eng60
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by eng60 on Feb 6, 14 7:17 PM
I can never get enough time management games and wish developers would do equal nos. of them with match 3, hidden object and strategy ones, so don't want to criticise this game too much.
The main irritation I have is that there is not a strategy guide which tells you how to get a gold star on every level as some games do. This could be locked until you have tried the relevant level two or three times on your own. The forums are helpful but sometimes despite using the strategy others say got them a gold star I can only get through the level without the gold star.

The moving islands are irritating too but its fine once that is switched off via options.

T_Doctor
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by T_Doctor on Feb 8, 14 12:03 PM
Frankly, I don't know why BF still has a thumbs up on this game. Seems kind of fishy to me. No pun intended.

I read the reviews before using a free token on this one due to my love of this particular game series. I thought, there must be some redeeming factors. There were few.

Pros: I found it challenging, not able to get gold star on many of the levels.
The objectives are clear.

Cons: The graphics are at times hard to see, especially in the ice land. I could hardly see the dragons.
The first part was so boring... I mean soooo boring.
Going back three times for items from one pile is tiresome.
The shifting islands are sickening, you can turn this off and I recommend you do so. It does not add anything to the game play but stomach nausea.

For those diehard fans of this series you may enjoy it but for others who have not tried the predecessors I recommend them not this one.

Overall I found this new installment in the series to be repetitive and boring. I am not sure why the developers changed the original format but I do not feel it was a good change. Bring back the old format please.

This is one of my favorite series, if not my favorite. It was the very first TM game I purchase when the series started and I wait always for the new installments, seeing this one break my heart. I hope this was an experiment gone bad and they go back to their original methods! Developers, this is not Frankenstein, you do not need to make it better, it was perfect before

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Feb 8, 14 3:31 PM
Just finished the game. No I did not get gold on every level. I wanted to pop in and say that I loved this game. Yes there is a time but it is very generous. I had to play a few levels over and over to get but there are some wonderful fishies here who know how to play those difficult levels and give great advice.

Many have given negative and positive opinions. I think this is an excellent game. It's full of challenge and new things to do.

[Post New]by PhaedrasPhantasy on Feb 9, 14 7:49 PM
Unimpressed, to say the least. The mining island is hard to see details on, the dragons waste all of your bonus time, I wish I had made it to this part before I purchased. Going to ask for a refund on this one, the series was fine as it was, totally agree with everyone who made that statement. This is too much change and not for the better. Very disappointed. Also every time I try to close it I get an error and freeze up. Using task manager on every close gets irritating quickly.

Edited on 02/09/2014 at 7:52:10 PM PST

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Feb 10, 14 5:03 AM

This is game is okay-ish, but that is all I'd day about it.

It seems to be quite easy so far, and I always think the little running man is cute, but it is getting a bit boring, irritating and repetitive.

The dragons seem to always come when you click on the bonus time, and the tower to fight the dragons is slow, so you might as well click on the dragons yourself.

The narrator saying "you don't have enough wood" is irritating, as it's not always easy to see how much you need to complete the task, especially on the torches.
The game is repetitive, and having to click on a item several times for the little man to go and get it, there and back, there and back is tedious. Especially when he has to run far.
It isn't always obvious you've built something. A few times I have thought I've completed the level, only to realise I've not built something, as it wasn't obvious I'd not done it.

I have to say, there is nothing really new about this 4th incarnation of the series, but I purchased it anyway, as I think I got over-enthusiastic because it wasn't another hidden object game or match 3 game that has completely dominated BF for that last year.

adinah
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by adinah on Feb 10, 14 8:07 AM
I like the game despite the changes from the previous installments in the series. A fourth that is just a tweaked version of the earlier games would not be as much fun.

I agree that some levels are hard to get but I am managing most of them (even the dreaded 3.5) with help from the forums when needed. I have not turned off the floating islands - but may if I am very tired and can't focus.

I recommend this game and, as an old lady with an aging brain and hands, I think it is not only a great way to pass the time but it seems to help with the effects of aging to do these TM games.

netizen
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by netizen on Feb 10, 14 7:09 PM
pastrpatti wrote:I was so excited to see this game come out - I just finished the demo time and I don't think I will be buying it. Compared to the last three of this series, I absolutely hate it. I don't like having to click on something three times to get all of it. I don't like the annoying dude in the first chapter who keeps telling me stuff I already know (didn't see anywhere to disable tutorial). I don't like the islands in the sky. The game play is just "off" and instead of being fun to do what is needed, I was just annoyed. Nope, no buy. Very disappointed.

I was excited to see this game, too, as I loved the others. But I do hate it. Unfortunately, based on past experience, I purchased when it came out, and really wish I hadn't . Sorry, nothing positive about this game. A big yawn and totally lacking atmosphere or interest.

[Post New]by zmozina on Feb 13, 14 1:49 PM
I'm totally bored with this game. I LOVE time management games, but if I don't have to have ANY strategy and just click away on stuff and STILL have almost 3/4 of my timer left ... well, what's the point? I had ONE BOARD so far out of 3 islands that I had to actually have some sort of strategy.

I love that I don't have to access some of the buildings to build them and upgrade them, so that I can get resources sooner, but otherwise, I wish there was something more challenging than just clicking on everything and getting it done and moving on.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 15, 14 4:59 AM
Having now suffered through this game a few times, it is in my opinion the worst of all the MKFTP games. The second wasn't great but this is just a disaster.

What on earth were the devs thinking? Running back and forth 3 times to collect goods is just a bore. Those flying dragons are a nuisance and the structure that is meant to shoot them just doesn't do the job, even after upgrading it 3 times. That irritating voice telling me to 'hurry up' drives me nuts, as does the prince keep popping up every few minutes to say something completely pointless. And what happened to the warehouse? Telling me to build a large sawmill, then having the indicators keep flashing red to say I've reached 20 wood but I can't use it up anywhere is just ridiculous.

I found some of the levels impossible to finish in gold time. Amazing that some have said this game is too easy. I've got to the point where I can't be bothered to play it any more; it's boring, repetitive and not a patch on the previous games in the series. I'm sorry I bought it and have now deleted it. The last 'New Yankee' game was fun to play; this is just a chore.

Edited on 02/15/2014 at 5:00:42 AM PST

[Post New]by onlyfurkids on Feb 16, 14 3:49 PM
I was so excited when I saw that there was a new version of this game. MKFTP is one of my favorite games and I had been replaying the first three versions while I was waiting for a new one.

Now that MKFTP IV is out, I'm going back to the first three versions. This one is awful. Awful. Why do we have to click three times to collect everything? And then we have to repair the potholes three times, and collect the parts three times, and do EVERYTHING three times. It doesn't make it more interesting. It only makes the gameplay tedious and annoying. Plus I cannot understand why there isn't a warehouse. And those flying dragons. They are the worst!

I'm sorry, developers. Your attempts to "improve" this series are misfires. Please go back to the original way of doing things. And while you are at it, please give us an option to turn off the tutorial. Once you've played the first version, you know you have to collect the wood and build the buildings. We don't need "help" with those tasks.

So disappointed.

Cinders31
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by Cinders31 on Feb 17, 14 10:41 AM
my review is very much like the others. this one is disappointing compared to the first three. I bought the game anyway but if they do a 5th one... I will only buy it if it is something new or similar to the first 3 games.
As far as I am concerned, the only new thing to this game is the islands float. that has absolutely nothing to do with game play, it is only visual and I find it annoying. I switched it off.
The only other thing that is different is the constant running for supplies. that is a big yawn for me.
I won't automatically purchase any more games from now on. Trial will tell.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Feb 17, 14 12:21 PM
Pros: no awful mini games. Thank goodness! I HATED the mini games in the original 3 MKFP. And so did everyone else - and the developers must have listened because they left them out of this one.

With that said - why oh why did they continue with that irritating voice when everyone said they hated it in the first 3????

Cons: I had to turn off the floating effect immediately. I can't even think what the heck that was for anyway. Also - I won't repeat what everyone has said - the game play simply is not as good. Just isn't. The graphics aren't as cute either.

Overall: Still am enjoying it though - because I like TM games and am desperate for them. There simply aren't enough of them. I do not regret buying this one like some people - and will buy the next one. Hope they leave the AWFUL voice out. "What are you waiting for?" he says - "for you to SHUT UP!" I reply

judithd
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by judithd on Feb 18, 14 7:27 AM
This was different from the others. But the music was the same, and the story just as charming. I love the narrator's voice. Unfortunately for me, I am a slow clicker and I cannot see the dragonettes very well, so there are a few I'm afraid I will not get not matter how much thought or time I put into it. And yes, being reminded that I don't have enough wood or gold over and over isn't very pleasant. I think there is a kind of bias toward younger people... which is natural I suppose, given younger people (under 50) are the ones developing them. This is a great game, and except for the frustration of not being able to go faster, I enjoyed it very much.

Edited on 02/18/2014 at 7:28:35 AM PST

Go to: