Getting what you want

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

Getting what you want

[Post New]by Amerzone on Feb 5, 14 4:18 PM
I keep seeing threads from people saying that they are not getting the items that they need for quests.

Either I am incredibly lucky (not) or my system for getting items works because I always get what I need. I'm going to share it here but if anyone sees a flaw in my procedure, please point it out. thanks in advance.

You happen to know that the Ogre wants a Chimera Mask. You know that you have to play the barroom card players HOG to get parts for the winter idol to find the chimera. Do not got directly to the HOG and try to win those items. It will just be random.

Do this instead:

Click on the Ogre,
Under the Chimera Mask (or whatever item) click on GO TO.
Takes you to the Winter Idol (totem pole)
Click on the Winter Idol and see that you need
2 masks of virtue and 2 devil's gloves
Click on FIND under the Devil's gloves
This takes you to the barroom card player HOG
Click on it to play.
You receive the Devil's Glove when you are done.

Always go through the character icons/avatars to find the items you need. Even if I do this then see a flower and click on it before playing the HOG I will start over by clicking on the Ogre (or whatever character) and go through all the links.

I'm playing the un-updated version.

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

Re:Getting what you want

[Post New]by Amerzone on Feb 5, 14 4:21 PM
I should add that if you have multiple characters with quests and they need a different item from the same place that you may receive a different item than the one you want but you still get an item needed for a quest.

You may be trying for a dead earl/duke item but get an item for the vampire girl. You will not get a useless random item.

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,168 Posts

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Feb 5, 14 4:31 PM
I just want to add that if you do a HOS that isn't one from a quest, you will get a random item. If you are trying to get something specific that ISN'T for a current quest there's a very good chance you will be frustrated.
For example, you want to get something for someone's wish list but you currently don't have a quest that needs that item. It's most likely going to take a long time to get that item. (Unless you use gems to just buy it) You'd be better off completing some of your own quests and hoping that one of them will eventually need the item your friend wants. If you get the item for a quest then gift it to someone you will still be able to go back to the same HOS and get the item again.

Another example is the "bemusing potion" needed to unlock the dungeon area. It is very tempting to try and open the area early. Save yourself some frustration and wait until you get the potion free from Anabel (vampire girl). There's nothing there except the flowers until that point anyway so why stress about it until then.

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Feb 5, 14 4:40 PM
Very good points Lady_Sabelle. I frustrated myself trying to open that area. I never got the items I needed for it.

kvtto
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by kvtto on Feb 5, 14 5:39 PM
I've recently started using the same method that Amerzone uses. And I complete 1 character's quests before going to the next one. After doing the HOS for that character's items, I do the remaining HOS.
I get the items that I want and it is less frustrating.
I discover this method late at night. I was tired but wanted to complete the last quest. I was too tired to remember which HOS had the items (and too tired to walk and do all of them), so I clicked the portrait, go to and find. To my surprise I only had to do the HOS once to get the item...and now I use this method all the time.

Edited on 02/05/2014 at 5:40:56 PM PST

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Feb 6, 14 7:01 AM
Also, it should be noted that even if you follow this method and get your item but you still need to use that item (for example) on the burning tree, do not simply use it on the burning tree even if you are standing next to it.

Make sure that you go through the character's avatar links. You will be sure to get what you want.

[Post New]by grannykaren1999 on Feb 6, 14 8:55 AM
Amerzone wrote:Also, it should be noted that even if you follow this method and get your item but you still need to use that item (for example) on the burning tree, do not simply use it on the burning tree even if you are standing next to it.

Make sure that you go through the character's avatar links. You will be sure to get what you want.

That's the way I play it. I have better luck that way.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 8, 14 8:14 AM
Thank you Amerzone!
This info is very helpful.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Feb 8, 14 2:40 PM
I find that I am using the above strategies in this game. In my first game I just used everything that I found to make items, which really hindered my progress. Slowly & steadily. I like the idea of waiting for the bemusing potion from Anabel. Will slow the progress getting to L18

Cheers,

Bondi Girl

bayouguy
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by bayouguy on Feb 8, 14 2:47 PM
I follow your directions exactly, but I'm not so sure that it is 100% effective. I still do it because it's probably better than not doing it.

I am at a stage in the game that my quests don't really seem to need much from the Broken Well but I still want to explore that for whatever reward I can get. The Broken Well supplies Keys for the chest in the Rock Garden in the very same scene, so I click on the Rock Garden and click "find" for the Key and more often than not get a Shard of Soul.

There are other examples of this that I can't remember right now.

Ultimately, I think it's really good advice to follow.

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Feb 8, 14 3:01 PM
Hi Bay, you have to have a quest to get what you want.

If there are no quests that require something from the well, you will get whatever the game doles out to you. Even if you use the FIND key in the rock garden you'll get something random at the well.

If you have a quest that requires the key and you click on FIND, it will take you to the well and you will receive the key when you are done. If you have not quest it will not work and will be random.

Does that make sense?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 8, 14 4:20 PM
This strategy doesn't seem to work on the Airship. I have tried it several times but I only get random items when trying to fill the Airship. I have waited until I don't have any quests and it still does not work.

I even set up a new user on my computer and started a new game and the same thing happens. The Airship does not respond like it's a quest when trying to "get what I want".

Any suggestions?

Edited on 02/08/2014 at 4:21:23 PM PST

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Feb 8, 14 4:43 PM
Suggestion is to not waste your time with the airship unless you want to get a trophy or upgrade to the snow queen avatar.

The airship is not a real quest, and in my opinion it is designed to make you waste resources. I've filled it twice but stopped after someone suggested I not play it anymore.

It's up to you and it's been said that it's easier to fill it when the game is new than to wait for later in the game. I'm almost at level 16 so it's late for me but I may try for a third fill (and I think a trophy for 3) after I get to level 18.

In any case, the airship is not a quest so your items are random.

charlieisr
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,323 Posts

[Post New]by charlieisr on Feb 8, 14 10:01 PM
IT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING SINCE ABOUT MY FIRST WEEK. IT WAS TICKING ME OFF, I WOULD NEED 1 THING TO FINISH A QUEST. BECAUSE I HAD MORE THAN ONE QUEST GOING I WOULDN'T GET THE RIGHT ITEM TO FINISH THAT ONE QUEST.
I AM A WHOLE LOT MORE RELAXED NOW.
IF ONE OF MY FRIENDS NEEDS SOMETHING I WOULD NEED 2 OF LATER I GIVE ONE AWAY. ALMOST CERTAIN TO GET IT BACK THE NEXT TIME I NEED IT.
I DO A QUEST AS FAR AS I CAN. THEN IS SPEND PART OF THE TIME I HAVE TO WAIT. DOING ALL THE HOS SCENES. AND GATHERING FLOWERS.
MY NEXT QUEST I MAY HAVE ALREADY GATHERED ALL OR NEARLY ALL OF THE THINNGS NEEDED.
I'VE DONE AS MANY AS 5 CRAFTED ITEM THIS WAY.
RELAX AND HAVE FUN DON'T GET IN A BIG HURRY TO REACH THE DREADED LEVEL18

I INTEND TO STOP QUESTING BEFORE I REACH IT AND GATHER AND GIFT.

I HAVE NEVER USED THE AIRSHIP SAW HOW MUCH IT WANTED. FIGURED MY FRIENDS WERE MORE IMPORTANT.

Edited on 02/08/2014 at 10:03:38 PM PST

bayouguy
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by bayouguy on Feb 12, 14 6:16 AM
Amerzone wrote:Does that make sense?

Actually, yes, now it does. I disagreed with your statement earlier but I have been keeping a closer eye on it and it does ring true.

On the few occasions that you don't get the reward for the particular quest you are trying to complete it, you get an item for another current quest.

Gonzo

Bedazzles
Clownfish
Clownfish
567 Posts

[Post New]by Bedazzles on Feb 12, 14 9:35 AM
sbaker2318 wrote:am having a problem gifting......friends gift me (thank you all) and when I want to return the favor they are not there. they are on my friends list but not on my friends wishlist. bayouguy, bedazzle gifter and tee cee (bayouguy twice). is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

I sent you a private message....

bayouguy
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by bayouguy on Feb 12, 14 3:21 PM
sbaker2318 wrote:am having a problem gifting......friends gift me (thank you all) and when I want to return the favor they are not there. they are on my friends list but not on my friends wishlist. bayouguy, bedazzle gifter and tee cee (bayouguy twice). is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

No. I have temporarily cleared my wishlist. I have rec'd more than I have given and I wanted to balance. I am almost even and will add to my wishlist soon. Thanks for the consideration and check again.

Gonzo

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 3:22:09 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 17, 14 7:13 PM
The original post is one of the most helpful suggestions for playing this game. If you follow Amerzone's advice it can save you a lot of time and frustration.

[Post New]by imppixie on Feb 18, 14 11:47 AM
I am trying to get to the Mountain Troll but every time I follow the steps I don't get the item needed. I click on the icon for the torch and it leads me to the crypt, but once I play the HOS, it gives me something totally unrelated to the quest. I've done it three times now with no success.

Any thoughts on why it's not working for this quest? Or is there another HOS that might give me the torch? Thanks for any help you can provide =)

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,168 Posts

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Feb 18, 14 11:55 AM
The "get what you want" trick only really works on quests that don't involve unlocking a new area. I don't know why and it's one of the more frustrating aspects of this game. My suggestion is to post your friend code and add the torch to your wish list. That or spend gems to get the torch directly. Otherwise you may spend days trying to get it with no success.

Go to: