Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Clutter 3: Who is the Void

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 10, 14 1:44 AM
Well looking at some of the comments, it looks like I am so far the only fan of this game.

If you are a puzzle person like myself and a fan of Hidden object scenes that will absolutely blow your mind, this is the game for you. I am embarrassed to say I have not played any of the previous Clutter games but will now definitely be looking them up.

Who is the Void? What is the Void? That is for you to find out but first you need to solve a multitude of puzzles and play various Hidden object scenes in order to collect your clues. Apparently there is a giant jigsaw puzzle to complete at the end, OOOH what fun!Graphics are sharp and clean and you get to cutomize your settings. There is alot of text to read, proverbs to go through (which are my personal favorites) and you can also skip these from your option menu. I liked the piano playing in the background which does not distract you from the game.

Hidden object scenes are cluttered objects with obstacles that need to be eliminated. There are letters to pick up and coins as well as puzzle pieces within each scene. Then you have pictures of the objects you need to match or find and let me tell you, it isn't easy as you think. I found myself scanning the scene for what felt like minutes and still couldn't find what was staring right before me. Thankfully you have hints to help you out.Puzzles are a blast here and you have a variety of them. There is the Tetrisudoko which I simply loved and the mini-jigsaws as well.

There really is so much here that it made my head spin. I should warn you though, it looks to be highly addictive with an amount of frustration level that will no doubt keep me awake tonight. I loved it and highly recommend it to those who enjoy a bit of challenge. Now I need to go back to discover the other Clutter games that I apparently have missed. I am now trying very hard not to continue to play this as I really have to go and start my day. Enjoy

Edited on 02/10/2014 at 9:35:39 AM PST

catspaws
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for Clutter 3: Who is the Void

[Post New]by catspaws on Feb 10, 14 2:12 AM
Same for me,it's the first time i've come across clutter games,and i love it! it's really good fun and it's nice to have a game occasionally that's a bit different.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 10, 14 2:28 AM
This is the craziest game I have ever played.
There are junkpiles to find pairs of hidden objects
and not too hidden objects.
There are sudoku games.
There are jigsaw puzzles.
The music is crazy. The games are crazy.

All the while you are playing you receive mysterious messages from the mysterious "Void". It was a lot of fun.

Try it. It's not for everyone, but it's for me.

Edited on 02/10/2014 at 2:28:53 AM PST

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Feb 10, 14 2:34 AM
I sailed through the demo and will be using a PCC today .Really enjoyed it and thought I would be in the minority but not so . Try it .

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 10, 14 2:55 AM
Its A Really Cool HO/Puzzle Game!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a great game for what it is and should not be approached as a comparable game to what we usually play, i.e. HOPAs. What this game is, is a very entertaining and well constructed puzzle game with a lot of HO puzzles, and 20 other kinds. There is NO adventure play here, but there is a story of sorts that I’m keen to find out more about.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are okay. Certainly clear enough, bright enough, the items are all quite visible. I didn’t notice any graininess or rough edges. But it is not art. The main menu page implies a certain tendency towards mechanics and electronics, the colours reminding me of “The Matrix”, but the HOPs at least incorporate images from everywhere.

The music is pretty annoying, very upbeat, varied enough, just not what I’d like for background noise while I’m trying to concentrate. There is no voiceover, the Void communicates by way of pop-ups that are very frequent at first, as help and explanations of what is coming are given. Only this first bit is unskippable, after that, comments and tips are all skippable. Personally, I was grateful for them.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
This is not an adventure, but you do have a quest. To find out who is really the Void. I have not played or even known about the earlier Clutter games (but I’ll certainly be checking them out now), so I don’t know to what extent this game follows on from them, but clearly we have had previous encounters with the Void.

Our quest is to establish its identity, and also to challenge ourselves and our ways of thinking about games, and find out generally how games are created. This is very interesting to me and even though pure puzzles would not normally tempt me, I will be buying this game - largely on the promise of these questions. Answers and revelations are your own of course, however, the end of each chapter gives us a quote on games and something to think about.

To be continued...

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 10, 14 2:57 AM
Its A Really Cool HO/Puzzle Game!*****

BASED ON DEMO

Continued...

GAMEPLAY

The first quest for this game is “The Void Speaks”. It is the tutorial game of sorts I guess, certainly there is a lot of information given on how the game works and how to do each style of puzzle. This chapter is filled with very hard matching pairs HOPs. There is a lot to match – up to 50 pairs so far. Also, there are bonus items that are shown only at the top and/or bottom, which require special action. And they are hard because the items are often well hidden, and sometimes only part of one will show from beneath the array of non-list items that can be collected.

These include (so far): letters that form the words of a relevant phrase, coins which go towards additional hints, jigsaw pieces which go towards a 200 piece jigsaw to be solved at the end of the game, and “blocker discs”, which are not removable in the usual way, you must find 5 matched pairs to get rid of one pair of blockers. At the end of a HOP, you will get another type of puzzle to solve. And the next chapter will give you a different style of At the end of each quest, you get the first of 5 answers, only one of which is correct. To find out the truth, you must complete all puzzles and the jigsaw, but you can skip all of them. And you can play them directly from the main menu. So after the first chapter, you could play just the puzzles if that’s what you want.

The number and range of options is amazing. Sliders for music and sounds, choice of 5(!) levels of difficulty, and a total of 15 other toggles for things like blocking pop-ups.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game is wonderful. I haven’t bought a purely HOP/Puzzle game in years, but I can’t wait to get this one! So ingenious, so flexible. Wow!

I recommend this game!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 10, 14 6:37 AM

CLUTTER III IS HARD TO A-VOID

Clutter III: Who is the Void? is a follow up to the original Clutter and Clutter II: He Said She Said.

These are puzzle games with a minimal back story to act as an amusing distraction. The quest this time is to find out the identity of The Void.

The game has numerous hidden object scenes, some with a few twists like "blocking objects" that you must "release" by finding certain other objects. There are also turn off the lights puzzles, jigsaw puzzles and an interesting game which is a combination of Sudoku and Tetris.

There is constant music playing in the background, mostly piano, which is truly background music. It can either help to keep your mind focused or be a source of frustration - depending on how well you are doing with the puzzle . Upon completion of each puzzle, you are given more clues to the identity of The Void, and also a quote from a famous (or not) philosopher.

From the Options menu you can turn off the timer, pop-ups, help and other things if you wish in order to customize to your distinct tastes.

A fun, yet challenging, game - especially when playing in the timed mode.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Feb 10, 14 6:46 AM
It isn't something I like to play. I have enough clutter in my own brain, I don't need it on my pc screen, sorry.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Feb 10, 14 9:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Clutter 3: Who is The Void? here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Clutter 3: Who is The Void?.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgDeveron

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Feb 10, 14 11:45 AM
hannah57 wrote:It isn't something I like to play. I have enough clutter in my own brain, I don't need it on my pc screen, sorry.

I totally agree with you Hanna !!!

All those junk piles stressed me, but everybody have different tastes.

For people who like it enjoy ,
M.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 10, 14 3:14 PM
First, a big thank you to BF for an actual puzzle game. Let's begin by saying that this game will definitely not appeal to everyone on this site. If you love puzzles (like "moi"), you will love this game. If you do not like timed puzzles, you not like this game - guaranteed! Very unique and different. This game is not for everyone.

That being said, this game reminds me of the "Saw" movies. I am beginning to think that the "Void" is some crazed lunatic that is going to jump out at me from the screen. You are told, "Lou's gone and Ana is nowhere to be found," Geesh! You are also asked creepy questions throughout the game about "games" themselves. He is definitely playing a "cat and mouse" game with the player as to his identity.

There is a combination of different games. The ones I have encountered are a matching game - more similar to "Where's Waldo" than the HOG scenes we have on this site. You also collect jigsaw pieces to complete a rather large puzzle, which I believe is at the end of the game. Other games I have not encountered as yet are various - Lights Out, Gap War, Extreme Stacked Plates, Memory Madness, Extreme Clutter, Clutter Quest, Sliders and there are more. You are timed throughout this puzzle game, so be warned. There is sound and "muzac;" however, you can turn it off if you wish. I purchased this game with a coupon. I like this game - but then again, I like insanely hard puzzles and the harder the better! Who is the Void? Well, let's hope it isn't some crazed, lunatic puzzle maker. Gee, maybe this "Void the Puzzlemaker" could be a new villain for a Batman movie? In this "cat and mouse" game, probably Catwoman will "outpuzzle" him anyway! "Is it too tough for you?" No, it isn't - Mr Void.

Okay, I have been corrected. Thank you kind reviewer. You can turn off the time. Somehow, I missed that one. Thank you Joyce. You are a sweetie like all of the fishies on this website.

Edited on 02/10/2014 at 6:39:38 PM PST

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 10, 14 5:04 PM
Sooo, this is a game I never would have tried in the past. I would have thought, ugggh, HOS after HOS. However, I came to this delightful forum and read some of the reviews and they piqued my interest. So, off I was, downloading the trial. I just had a chance to play the trial and I actually enjoyed it. There are find the pairs HOS, which are none too easy. Actually, toward the end of the demo, I think my eyes were giving out. But I digress. There are puzzles. A variety of puzzles from what the tutorial says. And by the way, it is a very nice and thorough tutorial. I'm very happy I swam by here to read up on this game or it would have been a miss. I have not played or heard of the other Clutter games, but now will give them a closer look. I must find out who this "Void" person is. I def will purchase with a PCC.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Feb 10, 14 9:44 PM
REVIEW BASED ON FULL DEMO (although I did buy it straight afterwards )

I don't enjoy HOG games in general (I'm mainly a fan of old school TM games and Tower Defence) but I DO like the Clutter series & happily played the full hour in (almost - had to check one thing on the forum) one go before buying it.

Looking for individual items from a list (as in 'normal' HOG scenes) bores me within a few minutes but this doesn't feel like that at all.

The 'HOG' scenes are really about pairing items up & although it seems to me that each pair will eventually come more to the front as other matches are made and removed, I enjoy looking at an item that I can only see a little bit of to see if it could be the same item that I can only see a different part of somewhere else on the screen.

I'd recommend even non-HOG fans to give this series a try.

It promises lots of other puzzle types too, although I'd only unlocked 2 types by the end of the demo (& only the first one of each) so I'm not a position to comment on those yet.

I expect to find it challenging enough too because, as the demo reached the end, I had just failed a level .... the one with the computer keys. I was playing with the default difficulty level (the middle one).

It's nice to see the developer in the forum helping players too .... I thought I had found a bug but it was just an optional setting that I had misunderstood - it was great to find the question already asked and already promptly answered in the tech thread .

Edited on 02/10/2014 at 9:45:09 PM PST

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Feb 11, 14 3:53 AM
HOORAY!!!!

Thats all I can say really .. Absolutely, totally, utterly HOORAY!!

YIPPEE even!

I played the other two all the time .. (two of my favourite 'wind-down-before-bed' games) until all of a sudden .. and for reasons I never did find out .. my system wouldn't support them anymore. Gosh .. how I've missed those little games.

Hope this one replaces them in my affections.
Jo

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Feb 11, 14 6:18 PM
A very good game! Not too easy either, which I love. I never heard of this series before, and I enjoyed the demo very much. I will be purchasing and checking into the others in this game series.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 11, 14 7:56 PM
I'll be checking out the other ones.
I'm glad I tried this one.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 11, 14 8:44 PM
I like it but not sure I'll buy as I don't like to play against the clock

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Feb 18, 14 4:50 AM
Excellent game! I have been playing this a couple times a day since I got it. It's perfect if you just want to play a round or two here, a mini game there or a puzzle to round things off. I also have the first 2 Clutters and replayed them both a few times. I am glad that the clock game is missing from this version as I would skip that one. Just slightly disappointed that the music is changed in this one as I liked the jazzy music in the first two.

yolanded
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
421 Posts

[Post New]by yolanded on Mar 1, 14 3:25 PM
I really like this game, it is an antistress, the music is ok. I prefer to play in void quest, then of course play with all the other options.
the easy version.
the only not appreciated thing is the graphics, metal as if it were an assembly line.
did not always, stop to read, the famous phrases because I find it difficult to translate but it is a good idea to have them included.
thanks

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 8, 14 6:22 PM
WELL, I can tell you this, Clutter 3 is a game I'm not going to 'finish' !!!!!
I do not play 'timed' games since I have spent my whole working life on the clock! But...
I love Clutter 3 and it is sooooo challenging that I left the timer on and had to repeat many of the games many times to win a round , but it was fun and I'm going to keep it on my desktop for a go-to relaxation game [it does take some getting used to the different gameplay]
My fellow Fishies have given their usual excellent descriptive reviews and I'm just giving my personal opinion for game and game-play through the eyes of a retired lady that has been around for 7 decades
In my humble opinion joekazz thought outside the box with this exercise your brain game and I want to thank him for it. By the time you finish I think you will want more
A full out of a possible 5

Go to: