Free to play?

mamamaggie
Marlin
Marlin
9,501 Posts

Free to play?

[Post New]by mamamaggie on Feb 10, 14 7:37 PM
I am an avid fan of the nonogram games and this is the second which has been offered as a 'free to play'. I have played four other 'free to play' games of which I have been able to complete only one, because I cannot afford to throw money to games. My budget is limited and does not include $29.99 for one game. My question to Big Fish is this - will I be able to complete this game without having to pay for it? And, if I must play, will $6.99 buy me enough of whatever I need to complete it?

If anyone is interested, I will let you know how far I got.

Edited on 02/10/2014 at 7:40:17 PM PST

mamamaggie
Marlin
Marlin
9,501 Posts

Re:Free to play?

[Post New]by mamamaggie on Feb 10, 14 9:06 PM
Well, I made it two thirds of the way thru the first world - somewhere to level 15 or so - before I was asked to pay. To continue if you make too many mistakes. That's OK. BUT you are only given so many lives and then you have to wait for an hour and a half.

So, perhaps this is 'free to play if you have the patience to wait and realize that you are only playing by the forbearance of BFG, unless you pay". Sigh. I am patient enough to play this game a little at a time, I guess. Except that I can't figure out how to make enough points to keep going up the levels. All I know is that you get points when place a tile or a push pin, and if you drag you get more. I'm still not making the goal, however. On the first world. Sigh.

Not as good as I thought I was.

I will keep you updated, if you have the patience to read my posts

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 11, 14 4:51 AM
I played the whole 25 levels of the first area, and then, after a cut scene, moved on to the next area, where I was able to continue with level 26.

All you need in order to continue to the next stage, is have the required amount of stars. In order to get to the second stage, you need to have 50 stars, for the stage after that, you need 100 stars, and so on.

The only things you have to pay for with real money are the power-ups.

pat71896
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

I have quit BFG, TOO MANY ADVERTISMENTS

[Post New]by pat71896 on Feb 13, 14 4:10 PM

pat

Edited on 10/12/2014 at 6:18:33 PM PST

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Feb 16, 14 5:37 AM
I downloaded this one immediately, because I love these puzzles. The twist of adding more colors is an intriguing one, especially as every level gets harder. The twist of being able to "twist" the diagram to change the blank squares is also cool.
Like the FTP game I have kept, paying is not an option. Luckily I have lots of games, so if I run out of lives, I do something else for a while. I haven't used any of the powerups except the ones that the tutorial forced me to use.
The truth is that there is always an available play...we just have to be astute enough to figure out what it is. And my mistakes are generally stupid ones...I'll have two uncrossed-out numbers and not realize that one of them is just because the position of a square I already filled isn't fully ascertained. Then I get all mad at myself because it really was my fault I screwed up.
I try to note which corners, at least, are which colors as I go thru the puzzle the first time. That way I have a starting point if I lose a life. When I get to two mistakes, I try to take a really good look at where some of my squares have been filled in.
I'm past level 125. I don't know how long I'll be able to play, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 17, 14 10:48 AM
No, there is NOT always an available play. Unlike any of the other WMs, this one DOES have a few ambiguities.

The game is designed to FORCE you to buy powerups if you want to go up the levels, because you simply won't get enough stars to go on without using them. You can finish the puzzles, but you won't get enough points to get the last star. And I, personally, am not interested in how many stars I get, so if I make a mistake, I don't redo the puzzle. This one REQUIRES you to, which is for me.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Feb 17, 14 9:56 PM
I have all the other World Mosaics game and I love them, but I'm not getting this one because I have no interest in BF's "Free To Play" concept of games. Either I pay for the entire game experience up front, or it's totally free with no in-game purchases - otherwise it's not going on my computer.

Too bad, I would have bought this game.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Feb 18, 14 12:41 AM
If anyone knows whether or not this game can be bought or played on another site please let us know. Many people like this game but BF has released it in an unacceptable format. You can PM me if you don't want to get in the bad books with BF.

chiari_survivor
Catfish
Catfish
1,506 Posts

[Post New]by chiari_survivor on Feb 18, 14 1:22 AM
I agree with Bpup. I too would have purchased this game immediately if it was the standard game purchase for $6.99 or a PCC. After feeling burned by Farm Up and still unable to play that game even after the latest upgrades, I have vowed not to pay any money for free to play games. If I can play for nothing then OK. If their ploy is to pull me in to love a game then start requiring money, then I will go elsewhere, to other games to play. If I am pulled into any more F2P games and get frustrated, yet again, I will swear off even demoing any of the F2P games and just pass them by. There are many other games to play.

I do wish BFG had more of these nano/picross style games as I already have all those they have available. Many of the recent picross puzzle games, released here, have been being released with puzzles that you must guess to solve some of the squares. These puzzles should be able to be figured out without having to guess. I find once I am required to start guessing I become highly frustrated with the game, so I have stopped purchasing any of these types of games until other players can confirm that the puzzles are able to be solved logically without guessing. I really would love to PURCHASE another, but this one will not be where I put any of my money.

Edited to add- I too would be interested in knowing if this becomes available elsewhere in the regular pay for the game instead of F2P.

PM with any info would be very much appreciated. ThankYou

Edited on 02/18/2014 at 1:28:30 AM PST

Zoppy
Herring
Herring
396 Posts

[Post New]by Zoppy on Feb 18, 14 9:41 AM
I agree.

A big hooray and for another cool World Mosaics and them adding a cool twist to take it up a notch.

A HUGE booo and for corporate greed.

If there were some way to earn the power ups without having to spend money (like gold and such in EVERY other FTP game) it really wouldn't be that bad.

As it is they basically just make a puzzle impossible and oops you have to spend money.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 18, 14 12:21 PM
I love the other mosaic games here, but not if it's "free to play" ('cause we all know that sooner or later real-world $$ is going to have to be paid to get anywhere).

No sale here. Not even a download.

[Post New]by Dasny960 on Feb 18, 14 3:58 PM
I am in agreement here. Free to play does not mean you should have to buy power-ups. There should be a way to earn them like you can with lives. Please try to consider this. Thanks.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Feb 18, 14 7:17 PM
The game designer is Fugazo, and their website just lists it as free-to-play and available from BFG. The other games in the World Mosaic series lists Fugazo as the Publisher; World Mosaics Chroma, though, lists BFG as the Publisher, so it looks like they are calling the shots on it.

[Post New]by kandw101 on Feb 20, 14 4:35 AM
My wife(member since '08) loves the Mosaic games, unfortunately Chroma is nothing more than a money pit. Very disappointed in BF as of late with so many poor quality games and all the pop ups begging you to buy games. We quit our '****'(member '06-'08) membership years ago because BF was a better gaming website, now we are collecting too many membership game credits with few quality games to buy. A combination of poor game development and less PC users have these gaming websites scrambling to make a buck at the expense of their longtime members. Thinking about dropping our paid membership and move on.

midnyter5555
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by midnyter5555 on Feb 20, 14 6:21 AM
i,ll stick to riddle stone saga, a fb ftp nanogram, they dont resort to impossible puzzles, in order to force you to buy to continue, i am at level 47 in this one, no large grids, no large numbers (to make it hard to figure out where to start) no daily boosters, just a bad game all around

midnyter5555
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by midnyter5555 on Feb 20, 14 6:24 AM
oh yeah,,,other ftp games give you 5 lives,,,this one 3,,,unless you want to spend 10 bucks for 6,, shame on you bfg....

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 20, 14 7:29 AM
But each life you lose you will get back after 90 minutes.

frosteen
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by frosteen on Feb 20, 14 11:08 AM
Like Vlady, I play several FTP games at a time. When I get as far as I can, I don't spend any real money. I just jump to one of my other games and come back a few hours later or the next day. Most of the FTP games can be played this way. Sooner or later (okay, usually later), you can earn what you need to level up. It just takes patience (or being a "tightwad" like I am). I almost never pay for anything, and if I do decided to pay, I wait for the sales.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 20, 14 2:23 PM
That's a great point Valdy! The in-game purchases are not required to get more lives or continue playing the game. Lives regenerate over time and the option to pay is just to speed up the process.

For more information on how these games work, just click the blue text below:

Free to Play Games

I hope that helps!

bfgWendwater

midnyter5555
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by midnyter5555 on Feb 21, 14 6:32 AM
Valdy wrote:But each life you lose you will get back after 90 minutes.

same as all other ftp, except they all give you 5 lives to start, daily boosters, ways to earn boosters like watching ads, if a dev wants to go ftp, they need to look into the ones that are working like candy crush, criminal case, and riddlestone saga, while many dont buy,,,a whole lot do,

Go to: