Reviews for Bluebeard's Castle: Son Of The Heartless

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 12, 14 1:25 AM
Delightful If Unexpected Sequel****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I remember having a lot of fun with the first Bluebeard’s Castle, but I don’t think it was ever a big hit and I certainly didn’t expect a sequel. But then, who would have guessed Bluebeard would keep a bride alive long enough to have an heir?

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
This game is somewhat different in looks, but it is still clearly Bluebeard’s Castle that we arrive at, even if it is totally dilapidated. The intro shows us a marvellously clear image of ourselves, the unfortunate son of Bluebeard. This is followed by the complete backstory of Bluebeard and his curse, told in an almost graphic novel style. The graphics for the rest of the game are fantasy graphics – bold and colourful, surreal and a bit cartoony. It is not a bad choice, though I suppose many will criticise. But to me it was similar to the fantasy graphics in Nightmare Realm. In any case, they are clear and very high quality, whatever you think of the style.

The music in the intro is dramatic and arresting, but in the rest of the game so far, is eerie and non-intrusive, and in keeping with the first game, there are no voiceovers. One thing I do miss from the original is the rhyming hints. They added a little something different.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You are having nightmares in which you are a monster, stealing the lives of innocent women. Your aunt is forced to tell you the truth about your father, and how she defeated him and saved your mother’s soul. (This is the character we played last time.) This has brought a curse down on the castle and on the heirs, who are all doomed to dying young. You must find the “dark heart”, which is the demon force of the curse, to save not only yourself, but also the castle inhabitants and the town below.

GAMEPLAY
There are more puzzles than HOPs so far in the demo. The puzzles are easy, with the exception of a couple with unhelpful instructions. The HOPs are interactive lists, with a fair amount of interaction. You can click on an item in the list and see a silhouette of it on the side. The scenes are not animated, except for a specific item on the list which must be caught on the move. This fun and not hard. There are a lot of fun animated graphics outside the scenes to make up for their absence here.

To be continued...

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 8:31:08 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Bluebeard's Castle: Son Of The Heartless

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 12, 14 1:27 AM
Delightful If Unexpected Sequel****

GAMEPLAY Continued...

Adventure gameplay is not too difficult, the journal is useful. The hint shows you what item you need next and where it is, but you must go to the map if you want to jump. And the map does not indicate active tasks, so the two must be used in tandem. The game moves a little slowly at this point, but the exploration of the old castle holds many little quests.

There is a game timer, and achievements based on the statistics collected. These are all based on the time it takes to complete puzzles, including HOPs. Each achievement is awarded on a different time range, so you get awards of one sort for doing a puzzle under 1 min, and another for under 3 mins. Etc.

COMBINED IMPACT
I really enjoyed myself, despite the somewhat old-fashioned style of the game, and it’s slightly cartoony feel. I played the beta for this game ages ago, and am glad to say that specifics have been changed, obviously as a result of the survey. I love a developer that listens to its players! Extra brownie points for this entertaining surprise package!

I recommend this game!

I am sorry, I have misled you - there is no game timer or achievements for this game!

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 5:11:22 PM PST

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on Feb 12, 14 1:50 AM

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 9:10:00 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Feb 12, 14 3:02 AM

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 9:10:23 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 12, 14 6:25 AM
I hated the first game in this series and never finished it but this sequel looks much more promising. I love the style of the artwork and that there are more puzzles than HOS. Some of the puzzles had instructions that made no sense to me but the skip time was reasonably quick. HOS are mildly interactive and mostly easy enough to complete.

Plenty of posts in the tech issues thread but I had no problems with the demo. Good sale today so I'll save a PCC and buy this game. Looks like much more fun than the endless HOS in the Dark Romance CE!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 12, 14 8:30 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Bluebeard's Castle: Son Of The Heartless here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Bluebeard's Castle: Son Of The Heartless.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 12, 14 1:12 PM
Afternoon all. Not familiar with this dev, but there are so many these days. Graphics were very cartoon/comic book like, but for some reason, it just fit this game. Nice bright colors. Game play was good, although a bit choppy, until it froze up in the basement, so don't know if it works from there or not. Music was nice and changed tempo with what was happening at the time. Nice voice over, but very few and far between. Same with the sound FX.

The inventory bar is locking. There is a jump map that is quite helpful and very interesting in the way it is put together. HOGs are the standard and items are easy to find and put together.

Didn't care for the hint system. Slow on the recharge and it doesn't really give you a hint, just shows you a picture of the area you need to be in. Now that's okay if you remember how to get there...this is where the map comes in handy. Puzzles were fun and different...not difficult, just fun.

This is one of those fun no brainer kind of games. I found it rather enjoyable, even with the graphics and the glitch. I want to get this one, but will find out what the problem is first. Don't like buying a game and not have it work properly. I think this one will appeal to most everyone today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 12, 14 1:39 PM
Not a game I would buy as things are too small for my eyes and don't seem to have a connection so you don't know where you need to go. It did give you a map so that's one good thing, Hints do reload after a couple of seconds but kept me hanging in a lot of spots.. Give this game 2 out of 5 stars..

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 12, 14 1:43 PM
I have the other game in this series, and from what I remember, it's a lot different than this one. This is far more cartoonish and does have something of the feel of an older game to it -- for instance, I found that if I didn't put something to complete a task pretty much exactly over where it was supposed to go, I had to waste some time getting the object out of inventory several times, before it was accepted and the task was completed. On the other hand, kind of disconcertingly, in the HOS's, several times I clicked on an object I meant to collect, but instead an object that was nearby was collected; then only after it went away could I click on the object I meant to click on in the first place. Weird. I didn't feel the same sense of urgency as in the first game, but it looks like the game moves on from the demo, based on the sort of trailer tacked on at the end of the demo. I had no technical problems (HP from last year running Windows 8, with 23" widescreen) and I didn't mind the fairly slender black bars on the L and R of the screen, since they were about half the size of other black bars I've seen. I did think there were a few more HOS's than I like, but ah well. I rarely worry anymore about the lack of a walkthrough, and this game has a good enough hint meter (shows pictures of what needs to be done next -- at least in casual play), and it looked like the map might be useful, even though it's hidden in the diary. I may get this one -- I have to think about it.

[Post New]by Rollina on Feb 12, 14 2:33 PM
I like it so far, havent finished yet. the style remainds me Drawn, does someone know if are the same people?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 12, 14 2:51 PM
Happy Black Valentine's Day to all the "black hearts" out there! Like so many sequels in the horror genre which expand into the next generation to include the sons and daughters of these monsters, we have "Son of Bluebeard." Your character is Bluebeard's son, who has never met his father. (A big thank you to the devs for making the son very sweet valentine eye candy. Unfortunately, we only see him in the opening scene) After you begin having nightmares about tearing out women's hearts, you contact your aunt who saved your mother from your evil father, Bluebeard. She informs you of your father's dark past which includes making a deal with a demon for his immortality by annually providing him with a human heart. These hearts came from the six women he was married to. As a descendent of Bluebeard you have been cursed to die young because your father broke his deal with the demon. You return to your ancestral home and the spirits at the residence inform you that you must destroy the "black heart" in order to stop the curse. You are in a quest to discover the pieces of this "black heart."

To me, this is a very nicely crafted SE and probably better than most of the CE's lately. I think it is a short game, so it probably didn't lend itself to being a CE. The graphics are cartoonish, but well done. There are three levels of play. The HOP scenes are interactive. There are quite a few puzzles which are also very well done and not too difficult. From what I have played, there seems to be an equal amount of puzzles with HOP scenes. You receive a map after you have gathered all the pieces which are scattered around the mansion. This game has a good storyline, is easy to navigate, and is relatively easy to play. To me, it is fast paced and does not become boring. I purchased the game with a coupon and am enjoying it immensely. I rate this game 5 stars out of 5 stars for an SE. There are no collectibles, but to me, that is a good thing. With the hint button, you really don't need a strategy guide for this game. My deepest "heartfelt thanks" to "sweethearts" at BF for a nice SE!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Feb 12, 14 3:20 PM
Just finished... really good game. Did not mind that there was no walkthrough (did not need it). Reminded me of the "Drawn" games (which I love). No tech problems. I say give it a try - at least give it the hour demo... enjoy

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 12, 14 3:33 PM
Based on the Demo

The soundtrack for this game is great. The music is spooky, haunting, and ethereal. The voice overs are very well done.

The visuals are beautiful and intriguing. Some of them are like a one dimensional drawing, others vibrant almost like a movie.

The hero is on his way to his father Bluebeard's castle to locate and destroy the Dark Heart. His father had married six young women and murdered them all to fulfill his pact with a demon who saved his life. As the son of Bluebeard the hero, as is the rest of his family, is cursed. So the hero does what a hero does: find a way to save his family and to stop the curse.

Along the way you will find an animated skeleton raven and an animated skeleton cat. They are enchanting and amazing, but unfortunately are in your way and you must find a way past them.

The hidden object scenes are beautifully drawn, the junkpile and list type, with interactivity.

It is the mini games that give this game a 5 star rating. They are phenomenal. They are different than other games: very thought provoking with multi tasks. The ship game is like a game in itself.

There is a journal and a map, that you have to put together after you find the pieces, to assist you. It's a great game.

It was an immediate buy for me.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Feb 12, 14 3:50 PM
Rollina wrote:I like it so far, havent finished yet. the style remainds me Drawn, does someone know if are the same people?

I agree with you!

This game reminds me a lot to Drawn, if you went to the library it's almost the same design!

I like the game a lot, not need of a WT, the hint it's really good!

Enjoy ,
M.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 12, 14 4:01 PM
Not quite sure about this game. Liked some things. Really disliked other things. Storyline was great. I wanted to know what happened. HOS were nice too. I loved the soundtrack and the old dilapidated house. On the other hand, everything is small. I didn't care for that. Not small objects in the HOS, but everything in the game is small. I didn't care for the puzzles. Very obtuse directions with very simple (in the end) mini games. The cartoon-ish look didn't bother me. Not too fond of the game play either. Some things required several tries to get them out of inventory and required you to place them exactly where they belong. This is probably going to be a no go for me. I have never played the first one. Perhaps I shall demo that one to get a better feel for the black hearted father here.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 12, 14 4:34 PM

Puzzles Leave Me Feeling Blue

The character you play is Bluebeard's son. Your father, Gillle de Brais, while out hunting was attacked by a wolf and left mortally wounded. As he lay dying, he made a deal with a demon for eternal life in exchange for the life of someone every year. If he broke the agreement, his offspring would all die young. The sign of the agreement was his long blue beard. Your task is to find and destroy the black heart at your father's castle in order to break the curse.

I wanted to like the game as I usually enjoy pirate stories. The drawing style used can be best described as "fairy tale." In the beginning, the game play is fairly standard with some oddities. For example, items appear in your inventory while they are still on the screen.

The inventory is hidden by default and was sometimes difficult to bring up. The navigation Back arrow is just above the inventory, and that too was sometimes hard to find. Also, I noticed a long delay when moving from scene to scene.

In the time I played the demo, I heard two voices, your character’s(good) and the castle’s architect (not as good).

Hidden object scenes are fairly standard. Puzzles were not. I encountered two puzzles and found both to be incomprehensible. Unable to make sense of either one, I quit the game after the second with 20 minutes remaining.

This game may interest puzzle-lovers, and perhaps I am only a puzzle-liker. In any case I was not caught up in it enough to continue.

Not wishing to sound "heartless," this one is not for me.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 12, 14 5:50 PM
steve_san wrote:
Puzzles Leave Me Feeling Blue

Not wishing to sound "heartless," this one is not for me.

Ha I like that !!!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Feb 12, 14 6:34 PM

I was going to buy this before Demoing and I am SO glad I didn't... if the demo is anything consistent with the game, it is a jumbled up messy cartoonish nightmare!

The entire flow of the game is disjointed and nonsensical and I just couldn't get the 'feel' of the gameplay at all... for some reason it just annoyed me as would an obnoxious Saturday morning cartoon playing too loudly while I have a headache sort of annoy... lol. Sort of like Disneyland on an acid trip.

Even though it's "just a game", well I enjoy games I can get immersed in and this one could never, ever be 'scary' to me because it was just silly.

Everyone has their own tastes, so those enjoying this... have fun : )

Oh... btw owls do NOT eat bread !!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 12, 14 6:47 PM
I think this game is incredibly well done. The artwork is beautiful, the voice acting is some of the best I've heard, the dialog is movie quality and the music is amazing. I'm enjoying the story as well. One of the very best SE I've ever seen.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Feb 12, 14 8:46 PM
I had no problem with gameplay. I really like this game and even though I kept the music up so I could hear the voice overs, it was not hard to bear at all.

I wish the hint system provided directional clues instead of showing what inventory item was needed and where. Too much information even for me. The puzzles were not overly difficult but not too easy either. I loved the steps in getting the map and find it very useful.

When I first saw the screenshots for the game I thought they were rather dark and thought "oh no, the graphics are going to be too dark" but much to my surprise, they weren't.

Lots of items to pick up and use, a feature I really like. I hate wandering around and finding everything either locked or needing a tool to use right off the bat. At least there is a fair mixture of finding items and finding locked doors or needing a tool.

This will be a purchase with my PCC on double punch Monday. Of course now that I am out of coupons, I may have to wait a bit until I have enough-lol

Go to: