New weekly topic

 
SuzeyQueue
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

New weekly topic

[Post New]by SuzeyQueue on Feb 13, 14 7:27 PM
Yep... might as well make a tradition of it, right?

So, what book are you reading this week?

I'm on book 3 of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth - Allegiant.

It's kind of like the Hunger Games series... you know, the remnant of the world after destruction and how they survive.

I've enjoyed it.

What about you?

 
Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 13, 14 7:35 PM
You have time to read while playing this game? I'm reading John Grisham's Racketeer. I love crime novels. Well, I love good writers actually. The writing to me is more important than the genre.

 
achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 13, 14 8:14 PM
I want to join the nerds! (Did you know that word was coined by Dr. Seuss?)

I am currently reading "In Harm's Way" about the USS Indianapolis.

And reading specs and prints for work. And compiling receipts for taxes

But the best is playing RoM!

 
thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by thurber on Feb 13, 14 8:30 PM
I'm currently reading some soft adult porn.... Not really... although it sounds like fun. I read mostly at work during lunch. Currently, the lunch book is Tao of Equus about the relationship between people and horses.

 
elena516
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by elena516 on Feb 13, 14 11:42 PM
I'm re-reading Henning Mankell's - Firewall. It's a swedish series quite famous around here. Mankell it's one of the firsts of some kind of "swedish school" of writers that write noir/thriller books, like the Millennium series. I love them

 
Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Feb 14, 14 1:32 AM
thurber wrote:I'm currently reading some soft adult porn.... Not really... although it sounds like fun. I read mostly at work during lunch. Currently, the lunch book is Tao of Equus about the relationship between people and horses.

ROFL Are you checking to see if anyone reads your posts? I do... that is read your posts not porn

I'm currently reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's a novel about a 19th century attempt to find the North West Passage. The men on the 2 ships find themselves locked in the ice for years due to bad luck and incompetence. And as if that isn't bad enough, there is something malevolent out on the ice snatching sailors from the decks

Elena I love Wallender

 
SuzeyQueue
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by SuzeyQueue on Feb 14, 14 7:58 AM
These all sound like fun books! Looking forward to trying some out.

Except for thurber's first suggestion... hot flashes are steamy enough for me!

 
elena516
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by elena516 on Feb 14, 14 10:16 AM
Rumbitothecore wrote:Elena I love Wallender


Me too
Do you know Jo Nesbo? Not swedish but norwegian, he's like Mankell but with a burst of adrenaline in advance

 
thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by thurber on Feb 14, 14 4:28 PM
Well, Rumbi, you know girls just want to have fun!

And Suzey, yes, I remember those hot flash days, not so fondly. The things your mother didn't tell you.......

 
lanimur
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by lanimur on Feb 14, 14 6:19 PM
My pile of reading material at the moment:

Flow: the Classic Work on how to achieve Happiness by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (not unhappy, just an interest in the psychology of happiness and quality of life),

Adobe Creative Suite 6 All-in- One for Dummies (into photography & photo editing),

Playskool Guide to Baby Play (for when grandchildren visit!)

Girl's guide to DIY (divorced!!!)

Inside HBO's Game of Thrones (will be watching the first 3 seasons on DVD during the Australian winter).

Mostly I'm reading family saga-type novels but not at the moment.


(My eyesight struggling with all the reading and finding tiny little items in ROM)



 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:11 PM
SuzeyQueue wrote:Yep... might as well make a tradition of it, right?

So, what book are you reading this week?

I'm on book 3 of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth - Allegiant.

It's kind of like the Hunger Games series... you know, the remnant of the world after destruction and how they survive.

I've enjoyed it.

What about you?


I read and own all three. I liked them better than The Hunger Games, Catching fire, and Mocking Jay

 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:12 PM
Marjasinstar wrote:You have time to read while playing this game? I'm reading John Grisham's Racketeer. I love crime novels. Well, I love good writers actually. The writing to me is more important than the genre.


Just finished that one a few weeks ago! It was good I thought. I find his stuff to be rather predictable now though from having read every one of his novels.

 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:15 PM
achumannfaery wrote:I want to join the nerds! (Did you know that word was coined by Dr. Seuss?)

I am currently reading "In Harm's Way" about the USS Indianapolis.

And reading specs and prints for work. And compiling receipts for taxes

But the best is playing RoM!


I did not know Dr. Seuss coined the word "nerd" but it makes sense! How is, In Harm's Way? I'm always looking for a good read. I devour books like junk food. I see they made a movie about the navy seal guy who got trapped behind enemy lines in Afghanistan I believe it was. I read that book and it was really good. I hope the movie does it justice.

 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:18 PM
thurber wrote:I'm currently reading some soft adult porn.... Not really... although it sounds like fun. I read mostly at work during lunch. Currently, the lunch book is Tao of Equus about the relationship between people and horses.


That sounds good! Have you read Monty Roberts: The Man Who Listens to Horses? It's a really good book.

 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:20 PM
elena516 wrote:I'm re-reading Henning Mankell's - Firewall. It's a swedish series quite famous around here. Mankell it's one of the firsts of some kind of "swedish school" of writers that write noir/thriller books, like the Millennium series. I love them


Ooh, that sounds pretty good...I'll have to look for it at the library when I return my latest pile of books.

 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:21 PM
thurber wrote:
I'm currently reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's a novel about a 19th century attempt to find the North West Passage. The men on the 2 ships find themselves locked in the ice for years due to bad luck and incompetence. And as if that isn't bad enough, there is something malevolent out on the ice snatching sailors from the decks

Elena I love Wallender


Brrr! That sounds really cold and I am soooo over winter already but it just keeps going! I think I'll pass on this one until summer when it's 90 outside and I need a good cooling off!

 
achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 14, 14 8:38 PM
EweJoy wrote:

I did not know Dr. Seuss coined the word "nerd" but it makes sense! How is, In Harm's Way? I'm always looking for a good read. I devour books like junk food. I see they made a movie about the navy seal guy who got trapped behind enemy lines in Afghanistan I believe it was. I read that book and it was really good. I hope the movie does it justice.


Nerd was a nonsensical word in the book If I Ran the Zoo. The etymology of how it is now defined I do not know. My teen was the one who educated me on nerds origin.



I am eager to check out many of these books based on the enthusiasm and references by all of you fine ladies! Again, great thread start Suzey!

 
EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 14, 14 8:41 PM
My current pile of books are mostly by Jennifer Chiaverini. I got hooked on her when I read, Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker I'm currently reading The Spymistress and four others by her. Just returned three others by her to the library last week.

She writes a series about quilters and it tells the stories of all these women and how they come together at a quilting camp owned by some other women. The series covers their lives and how they each deal with their lives and help each other. They're nice reads. Chiaverini also goes back into the history of the place where the quilt camp is held and does historical fiction (Civil War era) about the place where the camp is located geographically and about the land/house itself. This also leads her to write about the spymistress I'm reading about now (again Civil War historical fiction). They are really good books and not at all difficult reads. They're kind of gentle books I guess you could say. And speaking of gentle books...who else is a fan of The #1 Ladies Detective Agency series by McCall Smith? I love those books! And then of course there's Janet Evanovich! Hahahahahaha! Stephanie Plum is the best. I don't care for her ones she's done with Caroline Hughes but Rumbi might. But I digressed. Also in my current stack of reading is Your Fatwa Doesn't Apply Here by Karima Bennoune
If anyone here likes spy, thriller type books try Vince Flynn. I also have read books by David Baldacci which I liked. Sorry to have monopolized so much space. I love to read so you get me started on books and...

Edited on 02/14/2014 at 8:43:31 PM PST


 
lanimur
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by lanimur on Feb 14, 14 11:44 PM
Thanks EweJoy

You've just started me on another book series!!

Used to do a bit of quilting and the Jennifer Chiarevinis sound like the type of thing I like to read so I just hopped over to my local library's site and ordered her first one The Quilter's Apprentice. Are we starting a ROM players book club??

 
SuzeyQueue
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by SuzeyQueue on Feb 14, 14 11:52 PM
What an idea! I like!

 
 
 
 
Go to: