Reviews for European Mystery: The Face Of Envy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 15, 14 1:01 AM
A One-Man Crime Wave****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Delightful & unusual start to this game. Delightful for its excellent cut scene graphics. Unusual because it starts with a renaissance man preening before a mirror – hardly stirring stuff? No, but then things go downhill fast!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Lovely hand painted graphics. Excellent colour palette ranging from bold to subtle, light to dark. Everything clearly lit and wonderfully detailed. The music is awesome, authentic (to my uneducated ears) and melodic. The voiceovers are very good, but there is no lip sync.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
After your last case in Paris, you gained some notoriety, so it is not long before you hear from another policeman in need of your skills. Off to Rome for another mysterious series of crimes. This time someone is robbing nobles blind – literally, in one case. Not only does he rob his victims, he also leaves them suffering inexplicable ailments. Your investigation starts with the jeweller who has made all the pieces stolen so far. But you arrive too late to question him... and the masked villain gets away.

GAMEPLAY
This game has an interesting modification to some of its HOPs, which are mostly interactive lists. In the modified ones, every item listed is interactive! That’ll keep you busy! There is also at least one multiples HOP. I barely noticed the puzzles. There are not a lot of them, and those in the demo are easy enough for me to feel comfortable. There is a directional hint, notebook and interactive jump map. You can choose from 3 modes of difficulty plus a custom option, in which you can toggle the indicators for the map, black bar comments, and sparkles, among other things.

Signature feature. Like the first European Mystery, Scent Of Desire, this game has a unique mixing kit. In this case, it is a jewellery creation box. You must find certain ores or gems, collect and charge (with rays of sunlight) powerful crystals, then follow a blueprint to compose the item you wish to create. Actually more fun even than the alchemy box in Scent Of Desire.

Something to note. The inventory bar can be locked by clicking on the lion face in its centre. It had me believing there was no lock for a while.

To be continued...

Edited on 02/15/2014 at 9:01:28 AM PST

Re:Reviews for European Mystery: The Face Of Envy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 15, 14 1:06 AM
A One-Man Crime Wave****

Continued...

CE BLING!
There are the sunlight rays mentioned to collect, along with 35 hidden masks, and a collection of journal notes. All 3 have related achievements. There is also an achievement for using a helper. This seems to be a beautiful ermine, but it’s possibly more than one. It’s not clear. There is also the usual gallery items, bonus chapter (set in Dresden), and an in-game Strategy Guide.

COMBINED IMPACT
I had a wonderful time playing this game, and I love the way this series takes us to different cities of Europe. It is reasonably easy, so the expert crowd won’t like it, but for most of us, this is a great way to be entertained.

I recommend this game!

For D, whose love of HO games gave her the courage to learn how to use a computer.

Big Fish, you helped fill the last years of my elderly friend with excitement and variety and awe.

She would have adored this game.

indybabs
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by indybabs on Feb 15, 14 5:10 AM
very touching

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Feb 15, 14 5:44 AM

our thoughts and prayers are with you.

cynththemoler
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,948 Posts

[Post New]by cynththemoler on Feb 15, 14 6:03 AM
May she rest in peace.

pjfrompa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pjfrompa on Feb 15, 14 7:30 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Glad you made her days happier with BFG.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Feb 15, 14 8:05 AM
This is a game with lots to do and collect, not necessarily collectibles. There are the masks to collect but there are also 2, 3, etc. of this or that to get too before moving on.

The map is very useful and like the options of turning on/off the tasks that can be accomplished (I like them shown but that is my personal preference). Good thing you can use the map to jump because there is a lot of to and fro movement.

The graphics are beautifully drawn and the whole game seems very colorful and rich looking. The HOG scenes are fun to do and some are very interactive. Almost like a game within a game.

I am not happy though about once you talk to a person, they don't go away until you click the close "x". The devs could have done better with that feature. I wish they would show the entire SG though, even if they made the other chapters inaccessible.

This is a definite buy for me.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 15, 14 9:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on European Mystery: The Face of Envy Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on European Mystery: The Face of Envy Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 15, 14 11:52 AM

Face of Envy Has Familiar Scent

In this game, you play a retired detective called in to investigate a series of attacks and robberies against wealthy people in a European town. It was because of your success in the last case, Scent of Desire, that you are being consulted again. The villain here seems to have some supernatual power which enables him to alter his appearance using the stolen jewelry.

The time and place are not stated; however it seems to be set in the 18th century. The drawing styple is semi-realistic, and it is well rendered, but not especially distinctive. That is a nice way of saying that it looks like a lot of other games.

The hidden object scenes are mostly straightforward. However, during the trial period there is one scene where each object in the list requires an additional action to collect. There are many short mini games which serve as locks. These are designed well to fit into each scene, which is nice, but stripping that away they are mostly the standard types.

What is not standard is your kit with which you can use a charged crystal and other materials (i.e. gold and silver) to create special jewelery objects. You must be aware of what you need and use items from your inventory to add to the kit. This is a good idea as it increases the experience of participation and immersion n the story.

There the usual achievements for skillful play. There are also 35 masks to collect. The masks seem to be fairly well hidden, or at least they don't jump right out at you.

This is a solid game with a few twists and is a good follow up to the first in the series, but it's not going to make other developers green with Envy.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 15, 14 11:54 AM
At first didn't think I would like the game as it was creating something and didn't know how it worked but kept at it and found it to be a very good game. Had map, hints reload fast, puzzles are fun and storyline too. Graphics are great as usual and glad they have the President Day sale as this will be one of the ones I get.. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 15, 14 1:30 PM
"Grazie" Blamster. Your game is"molto bello." This is another game in a series of detective games set in Europe. You, as the detective, leave Paris to take up a case in Rome where someone is stealing items from the rich to absorb the life essence from them.

I love the Blamster's games. The graphics are so beautiful ("molto bello"). I must admit it is a little humorous to see all the anachronisms in this game. There are items from different time periods intertwined in this game. But, who cares? This is an easy, mindless game which is "divertente" (fun the Italian way). For me it is a celebratory game - one day late Valentine's day gift, a one day early B-day gift for "moi," and two day early gift to celebrate our beloved U.S. Presidents (actually some are not that beloved but we celebrate them anyway).

There is a timed demo in this game - so my observations are based only on that portion of the game. There are three levels of play and a "customized" level which I wish more devs would incorporate into their games. I actually like the HOP scenes in this game. They require some interaction before you can collect the item, and in many cases, it requires more than one step to complete the interaction. You collect beams of light, metals, and gems which allow you to create items you need in the game You collect masks which is getting me into the spirit of Carnival (Mardi Gras for you New Orleans Frenchies) in about two weeks. There is the usual interactive map and strategy guide in the game. The puzzles I have encountered are extremely easy. The only thing I dislike about the game is that we have another little "animal helper." This time it is an ermine, who is actually kinda cute. ( Please, devs, the whole idea of a "cutesey animal helper" is really getting a little old.) Since I have only played the demo, I am not certain if we keep him for the entire game because he is in the inventory and not part of the "needed items" for the game. The "muzac" is tolerable; however, I never listen to it anyway.

I rate this 4 stars out of 5 stars. This is not a bad game - but it certainly not this dev's best work. I will purchase it. I really disliked Thursday's game and have no idea what game to combine with this one to take advantage of the special.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 15, 14 4:23 PM
Another great European Mystery game set in lovely Rome. Very good game. This is a 5 star game for me. Varied HOS, varied mini games (puzzles), nice scenery, regardless of which time period it's supposed to be representing. Not HOS heavy nor puzzle heavy. Just right. Collectibles, achievements, and even an ermine helper. OK maybe not so thrilled about him/her, but oh well. Interesting story line with a very awesome jewelers kit where you can create items using charged gems and sunray beams. I love the diversity of the game. Not the same old, same old. And it's released while there's quite a nice sale going on. Enjoy

[Post New]by leapfrog0202 on Feb 16, 14 4:13 PM
<snipped> "For D, whose love of HO games gave her the courage to learn how to use a computer.

Big Fish, you helped fill the last years of my elderly friend with excitement and variety and awe.

She would have adored this game."

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, but so glad she found pleasure here. May she rest in peace.

Thank you for your many reviews and time it takes to do them.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Feb 17, 14 12:44 AM
I'm in the minority here, but the demo left me feeling that this is a shoddy production. If it's going to have the pretentious title "European Mystery," then the devs should at least do right by history. The number of anachronisms was off the cliff. (They should also do better with game play, since the demo on Mac 10.6.8 was slow and cumbersome.) No buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 17, 14 1:43 PM
Finally got to demo this one...yesterday was my birthday and I had a house full of family. Gee, I don't know why, but they'd rather I spend time with them than play my games...silly people.

Anyway, I have the first in this series and really liked it. I was glad to see another one. This game has very nice graphics, bright colors, clean and clear. Game play was very good, no problems with anything so far. There are voice overs, which are well done, but I wish there were a few more. I'm lazy, so the need to click on the "x" after a conversation was annoying, but not a deal breaker. Not a lot in the way of sound FX, but what we had was also well done. The inventory bar does lock. When I couldn't find a "lock," I just clicked on the lion in the center...clever.

There is a jump map, which is very helpful, as you return to the same areas multiple times. It did seem a little cluttered to me and the identification icons were a little small for my old eyes. SG was exceptionally short, but was helpful when needed, with clear instructions. Hint system was also quite helpful and showed you exactly where or what you needed to do, and filled quickly.

There are a lot of collectibles, which are not all as easy to spot as you may think, and a lot of achievements. I loved the HOPs, even though constant interactive gets real old after a while. They were well done and items were not difficult to find or figure out. Puzzles were nice, very much the same and not difficult either. This game is not extremely challenging, but I found it quite fun. The story and game play flowed well and kept me interested, and made me want more. Yep, gotta have it for my every growing collection of CE games. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by MercuryNeptune on Feb 22, 14 5:27 PM
A short review here:

Fun game but awfully short. I finished in three hours and was taking my time. The bonus round was less than an hour which usually figures for these games. I don't think this is worth it as a CE.

We solve some silly mystery and use a box to create things with it. Some talk about the weasel that is there to help us should complain about a box that can create things out of thin air.

I liked the game for the most part and it was quite easy. I also like that the settings are customized so I can get rid of the sparkles but make the skip and hint function only last 15 seconds.

All CEs should let you set your own difficulty levels.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 22, 14 10:27 PM
After completing this game, I can honestly say it filled some time.....the story line did not grab me much. It was not a game where I found myself glued to the screen. The good points are the jump map, where actions available can be found. You get another little creature to help gather items. I suppose so you don't have to build a ladder? You have a nifty little box where you have to gather elements in order to make items you need in the game, which was probably my favorite part. But other than that, nothing really blew me away on this one. It's pretty, has nice graphics, but I think it really comes down to telling a story. Some dev's have done awesome jobs getting the player so involved that I will play nonstop for hours just to finish. This game, I walked away for a few days, came back did a couple of scenes, left again, just not at all interested in what happened, what was going on, or what the inevitable outcome was going to be. No suspense. Seriously, I already knew the outcome before I hit the gate running, which slowed down to a dramatic, eh pace. Like I said before, it filled in some extra time, but nothing special for me. Try it for yourself and see what you think?

[Post New]by DarkForestFaerie on Feb 26, 14 11:51 AM
The first European Mystery (Scent of Desire) was excellent, so when I saw that this game was available, I had to try it. I was not disappointed. Once I figured out how to do the alchemy, I looked forward to the alchemy puzzles. Everything is beautifully done, the costumes, the furniture, the rooms, all of the environments are amazing. Even in the hidden object scenes, the items are crisp and clean, with rich tones. I'm so glad that I got the Collector's Edition for the extra gameplay.

For those that don't like snakes, there is only one snake-shaped bracelet, which you don't have to click on, in a hidden object scene in the bonus game.

This was well worth the CE price!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 28, 14 10:11 PM
blueskies01 wrote:I'm in the minority here, but the demo left me feeling that this is a shoddy production. If it's going to have the pretentious title "European Mystery," then the devs should at least do right by history. The number of anachronisms was off the cliff. (They should also do better with game play, since the demo on Mac 10.6.8 was slow and cumbersome.) No buy for me.

Slow as cold molasses on the Mac. I stopped playing before the demo was over because of having to wait so long between scenes.

The only good things I can say are the hint and skip buttons fill quickly, the colors are bright enough so far, and the music is unobtrusive. Otherwise, I found the game confusing and had difficulty figuring out what to do, so I was continually using the hint button.

Definitely not a buy for me.

Go to: