Reviews for Mystery Expedition: Prisoners Of Ice

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 19, 14 2:50 AM
Pretty Cool!****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The opening movie is great. A ‘history’ of the expeditions to the north pole, done in old movie grain, with a very professional narrator. The title graphics are so sharp, man, was I impressed!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Then reality sank in. The graphics thereafter are excellent, the cut-scenes are not. They are heavily pixelated. But the impression was already made, so from the first, it felt like a very classy game. The HOP scenes are clear and bright, not too jumbled, of the pseudo-realism variety. The location graphics change. Some are as sharp as the titles, some are just alright, others are cartoony.

The ambient noise, being the Arctic is suitably the dominant sound. Lots of ice breaking and winds that are trying to freeze-dry you. Music, was there music? I honestly can’t remember, and I’d go back to check, but I ran out of time before I realised it! Voiceovers are good, very professional.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Your grandfather was the sole survivor of a doomed expedition to the north pole, and came back obsessed with the legends of Inuit treasure – some god or other that granted your every wish. You fund an expedition to follow in his tracks, and accompany the group as their doctor. This expedition is likewise ill-fated. The engine blows up and leaves you stranded in the ice, in the middle of nowhere. No hope of rescue.

But that is not your main problem. The captain and crew decide that Inuit gold sounds good and toss you down a ravine! Somehow, you survive. And find the missing information about the Wish God. In exchange for whatever you want you must give your soul! Now, as you make your way back to the stranded ship, you discover that those who have touched the gold have gone mad. How are you to survive? Well, I ran out of time, so I can’t tell you where this is leading! Lol

GAMEPLAY
Fairly standard gameplay. Although the HOPs, interactive lists, can be swapped for a very fun jigsaw, each scene has a different pic and a different cut for the pieces. They are tricky icy almost one colour jigsaws. The HOPs do have some smaller items in them, but I don’t think it is too bad. The puzzles are easy enough so far, but a bit time-consuming in a couple of cases.

To Be Continued...

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 7:27:01 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Mystery Expedition: Prisoners Of Ice

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 19, 14 2:51 AM
Pretty Cool!****

GAMEPLAY Continued...

There is a map in the journal, where you take down important info and clues, and it is just a small crowded thing taking up one page. But it gives you your position, the cleared locations, and the important task locations. I don’t think it was a transporter, but I could be wrong on that. Hint is directional, and there are 3 levels of difficulty.

There is an amazing amount of bling with this standalone SE, certainly enough to make it worth your while. There are 10 missing relics, 18 beyond (morphing) objects, and an uncountable number of coins to collect. The coins can be used in your igloo to buy toys for your resident penguin. This dude is not with you for the gameplay itself, so no cute companion. There are also achievements which are displayed in your igloo.

COMBINED IMPACT
I like this game. I’m impressed in the general production standards, even if the graphics seem to have been put together by different artists. For a standalone SE, it is really quite exceptional.

I recommend this game!

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Feb 19, 14 3:27 AM
I have to agree with Just the facts, this is a well put together game! I hope it has the length to go along with it. If the game does have the length it will beat out most CE games.

I have not seen this type Puzzles in a long time and not in a HO game. I have to say the puzzles took a few minutes to figure out.

Edited for short length: I give it 2 out of 5 for length. I am sorry, but a game that is short is not an awesome game. Too bad really IMO

Edited on 02/20/2014 at 2:14:01 AM PST

[Post New]by Iinotusername on Feb 19, 14 3:59 AM
Finally! I have waited so long after playing the testing game.

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Feb 19, 14 4:20 AM
The game has potential however I find it a bit hard on my eyes. I'm used to the 'hand' fluctuating to grab items but not the magnifying glass. I do appreciate the choice of hidden object vs jig saw puzzle. I was willing to go the whole trial time but ran into tech issues which I hope to see addressed in the tech thread. As always, try it for yourself.
Happy gaming,
lea

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Feb 19, 14 6:44 AM
Foe an SE this is a very impressive game IMO. Quick buy for me.

smpilotmom
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by smpilotmom on Feb 19, 14 6:53 AM
I really liked this game as well. It's about time we are able to buy one that isn't a Collector's Edition that is still a good quality game!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Feb 19, 14 7:22 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Expedition: Prisoners of Ice here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Expedition: Prisoners of Ice.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgDeveron

niamhe
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by niamhe on Feb 19, 14 10:15 AM
is it me or is this one of the shortest games ever?

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 19, 14 12:52 PM
This game has alot going for it! The sounds are great and the graphics nicely done. I like the option to switch to a Jigsaw to finish out that last unfindable item in the HOS.

There are 3 difficulty levels including the hardest one which it says disables the black bar tips. I didn't test that to see how that works.

It's got achievements (displayed in the Igloo on the wall plaque above the couch and on the shelves behind the penguin).

Plus 18 'beyond' objects and 10 'artifacts' which were all different during demo play.

The coins found throughout the game are used to purchase objects for the Penguin I assume. I bought him the basketball. Okay, a ball-playing Penguin is just fine -- hope it doesn't descend into 'cutesy' where we start dressing him/her (how do you tell with a penguin?).

Running on an older PC with XP Pro SP3, had no tech difficulties other than the GM (I mean the game app) froze upon expiration of trial, but it's a touchy thing anyway. This game is coming home next doublepunch Monday.

Edit to add: My favorite moments as I got to each new scene were the footprints in the snow -- before our character the Doc gets there. Wonder who made them?

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 2:31:37 PM PST

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Feb 19, 14 3:15 PM
SE with achievements, interactive map that you can transport to different locations, an igloo that you can decorate, and morphing objects WHAT? I only have 2 cons for this game. 1, I don't know if at the end you can see where all the morphing objects are, since there is no walkthrough. 2. I will wait to purchase this game on "extra bonus punch Monday". For a SE I give it 5

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 3:20:15 PM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Feb 19, 14 3:16 PM
niamhe wrote:is it me or is this one of the shortest games ever?

Yes it is! I read your comment before I finished the game and had to laugh, because you were not kidding! This is the shortest game I remember playing!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 19, 14 3:43 PM
Afternoon all. Well, I am very impressed with this game today. Surprisingly good graphics for an SE. We have "real" people rather than animated, although animated lips keep up better with voices than the real thing. Personally, I prefer a good animation over reality. Game play is very good, no problems. There is a very useful jump map, and you will use it a lot, so get your tennis shoes on and go for it. Nice music, but gets a bit annoying after a while.

Voice overs are nicely done, but few and far between. This is a fairly quiet game with a few sound FX and a lot of wind (gee, you think "polar" has something to do with that). Hint system is very helpful and heads you in the right direction, as well as showing you exactly where you need to be to find something. Hint fills about the usual, but maybe a bit slower.

I really like the HOGs. They are a little messy and cluttered, but you get items you need to use, and is a mixture of standard HOG and interactive. Items are not difficult to find, but you do have to look for them. I especially like the ability to switch to a jigsaw puzzle, as I am a major jigsaw puzzler. These puzzles have very different and odd shapes, which I really love. Not difficult, but fun.

There are a number of collectibles, e.g. morphing objects (not as easy to spot as you think), lots of coins (for the penguin igloo) and relics (I don't know what these do for you, if anything). This game is not especially challenging, but it is fun and has a different story line for a change. I believe this will appeal to all levels of players and a definite buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 19, 14 5:18 PM
Another "frozen delight" from BF by a dev from which we have had other games. Okay, it is another reminder of our "lovely weather" here in the U.S. (Actually I think I am living in the realm of the Snow Queen and Ice Prince). However, this is a good game which everyone should at least demo. To me, lately, the SE's are better than the CE's. Go figure.

You are a doctor whose grandfather was an adventurer who disappeared on an expedition into the Arctic. He became interested in discovering a lost treasure of the ancients. You finance an expedition to the Arctic to find out what happened to your grandfather. While on the ship, you discover that the crew has other plans for this voyage, which doesn't include you. Sadly, the crew tosses you into a ravine.

To me, this is a nicely crafted game. There are three levels of play. The HOP scenes are interactive and you can create a jigsaw puzzle instead of playing the HOP scenes. The puzzles which I played were decent. I did not think they were terribly difficult. There is voice throughout the game. There is also a map provided. The graphics are okay - perhaps, a little dated, but still better than in most SE games. You do have collectibles - "beyond objects" and "coins for a piggy bank. You use the coins to purchase items for your igloo, which inhabited by a very cute penguin. Some are complaining this game is too short. Really? Most of us will use a coupon or purchase at a discounted price. I feel this a quality game at a fair price. I give this game 5 stars out of 5 stars for an SE.

I also want to mention that some of our devs who provide games on this site are located in the Ukraine (Kiev), so let's keep them in our prayers. For those who do not know, there are massive demonstrations occurring in the Ukraine at this time.

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 5:43:32 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 19, 14 5:40 PM

Prisoners Of Ice A Chilling Story

You play an explorer following after your grandfather's failed quest for the treasure of the Inuit "God of Wishes." The time is in the early 20th century when "technological advances," i.e. zeppelins, made exploration of the poles possible. This story takes place in the frigid Arctic regions. Naturally, disaster stikes you too, and you are now marooned on a disabled ship in ice filled waters.

The drawing style is fairly realistic, with a particularly accurate rendering of the ship, both inside and out. The other players in the story are done via live actors inserted into the story using "green screen" technology. Voices are fairly well done, but it is obvious the actors lips are not speaking English (voices use a Russian accent).

There is minimalist background music, always there but not intruding. Sound effects were appropriate if also minimalist. Hidden object scenes were well drawn, with one or two objects per scene very well hidden, but the other objects not so much. I noted one misspelling during the trial, the word "Thermometr."

Puzzles and mini games were all very easy to solve, they will definitely not give you brain freeze. Solutions for some appear on the screen from your journal when you open the puzzle.

Keys turn automatically when you place them in locks.

There are coins to collect in your piggy bank. They are used to buy toys for your pet penguin. The penguin does not appear to tie into the story in any way.

There are also 10 relics and 18 beyond (morphing) objects to collect. Based on the low number of these and how many I had already collected during the trial, I expect this game to be shorter than most.

Except for a few flaws and easy puzzles, this seems to be a decent game with a good story and an immersive atmosphere. I would say Prisoners Of Ice is one captivating game.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 19, 14 6:57 PM
This is a very very nice game. I love these non-CE games!! You are a doctor who has decided to track down your missing grandfather. He went missing on an expedition to the Arctic regions. So, you hop on a boat with others but apparently they have other plans for you because they knock you over the head and throw you down a ravine You do survive though, and thus your journey begins. There is a very nice opening scene explaining what your grandfather's mission was. Graphics were clear and snowy (sort of looked the same as looking out my window). The HOS are a bit crowded but items are easy to find, some are interactive. There is a choice to play a jigsaw puzzle instead which was just fine with me. Actually, I really liked the puzzles. Minigames were different. They took me some time since puzzles are not my forte. Others may find them to be a piece of cake. I don't believe there was music, but there are the ambient sounds of the wind which is a great match for all that snow. There are achievements, coins to collect to buy things for your penguin who lives in an igloo. This penguin does not accompany you on your journey, or didn't in the demo. There are morphing objects and relics to find. This is quite a different and fun game with a whole bunch of extras included for the price of a SE. I have read that it is a short game, however a fantastic short game is better than a horrendous long one. This one shall be a purchase for me. Enjoy

iamsosure
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by iamsosure on Feb 20, 14 12:14 AM
Lots of positive feedback while I found it horrible 15 minutes into it. I have read posts that it is very short...but what do I know ?!

Edited on 02/20/2014 at 12:15:34 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 20, 14 3:56 AM
Really well done. This dev has a good history with quality stand alone SEs that contain all the goodies we've come to expect in our collector editions. Those jigsaw puzzles are beautiful, I've never seen some of the shapes they've chosen to use and they're a lot of fun. This is well worth the price and definitely worth using a PCC on.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Feb 20, 14 5:12 PM
didersham wrote:

Yes it is! I read your comment before I finished the game and had to laugh, because you were not kidding! This is the shortest game I remember playing!

I'm right up there with you. I just finished it too! But....I think that part of the problem is that I had such a great time playing the game that time just 'flew' by and I didn't want it to end. It's the first time in a LONG time that I've enjoyed a game this much.
I really hope to see more from these Developer's.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Feb 20, 14 10:11 PM
didersham wrote:

How short is short? Does it finish within an hour of the 1 hour trial expiring? I bought Alabama Smith in the Quest of Fate and it was over within half hour of the trial time limit expiring. You cannot imagine how annoyed I was at that.

If this is as short as that, then I'd like to know so I don't waste a credit on it. If it's 3 or 4 hours long, then that's okay. Any shorter and I'm likely to wait for it be a daily deal price.

Edited on 02/20/2014 at 10:12:07 PM PST

Go to: