Reviews for Danse Macabre: The Last Adagio Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 20, 14 1:26 AM
Deadly Romance*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I’ve played this demo twice now (did the beta) and still got so caught up in the game that I forgot to takes notes! Wonderful introduction gives you all the backstory you need, and a fair indication of how this story is going to go. No dramatic train crashes or air disasters, but a good old-fashioned love-crazed villain with a taste for fire.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
As usual with this developer, the graphics are superb. This is a somewhat darker game than is their usual, but they handle it well and most locations are in fact very well lit. The darkness is more an atmospheric thing. There is a certain glossy shine to the theatre scenes that I find a bit off putting personally. But then I’m not European and am therefore not used to seeing that much gold gilt! All items are easy to see and not small.

The voices are excellent fun, done in pseudo-Italian (?) accents, that fit wholly with the characters and the story. The flautist is my personal favourite. The characters in the location are still, while there is a smaller pic beside the speech box where lips do move. I always like this feature. The music is a little different, though don’t ask me to describe how. But it is low key ominous and quite pleasant. As the game is about ballet, I was a little disappointed not to hear any classical stuff.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You are meeting your sister after her performance as star of the most popular ballet, written for the love of the composer’s life. It was performed here for the first time 30 years ago, immediately prior to the theatre burning to the ground. Having watched the intro through, we know that the composer burnt the place down in revenge for finding his loved one, the prima ballerina, with another man.

Your sister does not show, and you are outside wondering what to do when the stage manager opens the door. No, he says, the theatre is empty, there’s no one here. But there is a light in an upstairs window, and voices. You must get in and find your sister! In keeping with demo tradition, we finish with a cliff hanger, but how we are going to get out of this particular predicament totally escapes me! Can’t wait to find out!

To be continued...

Edited on 02/20/2014 at 2:36:09 PM PST

Re:Reviews for Danse Macabre: The Last Adagio Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 20, 14 1:27 AM
Deadly Romance*****

Continued...

GAMEPLAY

The play is dominated by HOPs. So far, there have been several, either interactive lists or simple silhouettes, which are introduced four at a time only, which requires a slightly different search strategy. What may have been irrelevant before could be needed now. As an alternative, there is a bubble popper game, in which each sparkling bubble you pop removes an item from the list. Again, an somewhat unusual strategy is required.

The puzzles so far are incredibly easy. I hope they get harder later on, because if I think they’re easy, a lot of people will think they are laughable. One puzzle got on my nerves. A simple follow the notes memory game. But if you missed once you had to go right back to the start from one note again.

There is an interactive jump map that shows objectives as well as active tasks and current location. I don’t like how long it took to unfold it each time we use it. Hint is directional. The journal has a diary and objectives. The tutorial is particularly well written.

CE BLING!
*Takes a deep breath*

In-game SG, and bonus chapter. The gallery includes a ‘making of’ movie, game movies, 8 Wallpapers, 8 Concept Art, 16 Photos, Music. There are replayable HOPs (17) and puzzles (28), as well as bonus HOPs which are played for a separate achievement. Two types of collectibles, 44 yellow roses for Marie’s Bouquet (a mini-game where you can go back to the places where you missed the roses). These are easy to spot, and 12 morphing items, which are a lot harder to find. There are 18 Achievements, all performance based. There is a Souvenir Room, another mini-game, where you go back through the locations finding one new item.

COMBINED IMPACT
I loved this game. It is not however my favourite Eipix. But it is up to their usual excellent standards. My enthusiasm is tempered, I think, by the lack of anything unique to this game, and all that golden gilt!

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by lennytring on Feb 20, 14 4:08 AM
I did a beta test for this game last week and LOVED it. SOOO sad when the demo finished.

I am an intermediate player but for the sake of the test selected casual player mode. The game play was at the right pace for me and I think I only needed to use the hint option once. The doesn't mean the game is too easy - but it flows nicely.

I don't normally play with sound but did as in order to test a game you have to look at all options available. The music was fitting - and more of a background noise than a full on soundtrack. The voice-overs were not annoying either - there are subtitles too - so you don't have to have the sound.

I love the interactive map function - it saves so much time

I don't buy Collectors Editions but am looking forward to the Standard Edition making it's debut!

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Feb 20, 14 7:55 AM
I did the beta test for this game. Wonderful game play, beautiful graphics, and deadly story.
At first, I thought this was just another same old "missing sister" HOG game. 'Oh no, my sister is missing again! I need to put her on a leash to keep her out of trouble.' I thought. But, I like doing the beta tests for Big Fish. So, what the heck, why no give it a go?
I was thrilled when I was surprised that this game was detailed and the story was actually good! A buyer for me!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 20, 14 8:59 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Macabre: The Last Adagio Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Macabre: The Last Adagio Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Feb 20, 14 10:35 AM
If all I wanted was a good story I would read a book. When I play a game I want to be intrigued by subtle clues, feel accomplished when I master a task, come across a required item, solve a puzzle, or figure out where to go in the adventure.

Game: 1. form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
2. a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure

In other words, I want to be challenged by the contest a developer has conceived using his/her rules. Yes, the story that carries the challenge along should be entertaining, but getting to the end of a pleasurable game needs to be more than a mindless activity. Or, it should not be called a game at all.

Sorry -- Danse Macabre falls way too short. Needed items are easily acquired, and used almost immediately in expected or obvious ways. The puzzles were insultingly easy. It is definitely a click fest on the hardest difficulty mode, but even without helpful black bar info, nothing was cleverly concealed.

The artwork was nice enough to illustrate a picture book, but the story has been done time and time again.

I think the developers should take off their tutus (see "Making of"), and get back to the kind of projects more worthy of being called games (Linden Shades, Final Cut 1).

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 20, 14 11:31 AM
A great game and like the Developer and always have great options. Like that it's another Opera that reminds me of Phantom of the Opera.. Had great voice overs and has a map with tasks you need to do and puzzles are fun too. Music I enjoy to listen while playing and graphics are great. Looks like this one is going to get a 5 out of 5 stars for me..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 20, 14 11:40 AM
Morning all. Yes, same story different day, but this game had a wonderful introduction to the story. Graphics are well done, although more monochrome than color (a lot of yellow/gold tones), but clear. Too much of this color makes my eyes tire quickly. Game play was good, no problems along the way. Locking inventory bar, which seems to be the norm these day (thank you very much). Music wasn't too bad.

Voice overs were a bit sketchy...I heard a bad Italian accent, an okay Spanish accent and a little hint of French in there too. Guess they couldn't decide which one to use. The ghost voices were hauntingly well done. HOGs were a combo of silhouettes and standard HOP. Items were not difficult to find or figure out what to do with, but they didn't stand out either. Puzzles were extremely easy. The SG is the standard, and of course, you can't get a feel for the game length without all chapters being listed...why do they do that? I found that you don't really need the SG. The game flows well enough without. I didn't even have to use the hint, so don't know how quickly that may fill. When you have accomplished a task or put something together, it automatically disappears and/or closes the screen (I like that, no extra clicking).

Lots of standard achievements, along with collectibles, e.g. 44 yellow roses (easy to spot) and 15 morphing objects (kept forgetting about them and had to go back). The morphing objects are no as easy to spot and are not in every location.

I have a lot of games by this dev and have enjoyed them all. This one isn't extremely challenging, but I became engrossed in the story. I think all levels of players would find this enjoyable and interesting enough to spend the time and money. I keep trying not to buy so many CE games, but it takes too long for the SE versions to come out and I want to play...I have to stop doing that. I don't give 5 stars easily and because of the color, this one won't get it either. Yes, this will be a definite buy for me too.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 20, 14 2:37 PM
Bravo! Get ready to grab your "pointe shoes" and aim your way into another fabulous game! I have been waiting ever, ever so long for this game to appear! Another "stunning performance" from probably the best dev on the site, the PixIES. This game has all the essentials for an outstanding game. I beta tested this game long before Christmas and have anticipated its arrival. This will be an automatic purchase for me.

For all you "bun heads" out there - you are going to love this game. No matter what form of dance you practice - we finally have a game dedicated our favorite extracurricular activity - "la danse." By the way, "danse" is not a misspelling. It is French for "dance." "La danse macabre," literally means "dance of death " in French.

This is another in a series of games dedicated to "stalkers" and unrequited love. In the past, a composer falls in love with a ballerina (Marie) and when she spurns him in favor of another man, he literally goes crazy. There is some type of curse that is placed on the inhabitants of the recital hall by this mad composer. It seems that the ballerinas inside the building become spirits which must be released. Throughout the game you are guided by these spirits. This game is rather like "Phantom of the Opera" for ballet. Why should opera singers get all the glory, murder and mayhem, right? You, as the player, are going to see your sister perform in some unknown Italian ballet "Donatelli di Fiore" (at least I have never seen or heard of it). When you go to meet her at the end of the performance, you discover she has disappeared.

The graphics are "très magnifique" as usual for this dev. The storyline is interesting and the game is fast paced and does not bore. The "muzac" is also very nice and not overwhelming. There are three levels of play and you can customize your game as well. The HOP scenes are interactive and you can switch from HOP scenes to a "Bubble Shoot" game. Some of the inventory items are interactive as well. The puzzles are somewhat unique but I did not find them terribly difficult. The collectibles are roses for a bouquet for Marie. A "standing ovation" for this dev. I rate this game 6 stars out of 5 stars. This dev is always on the cutting edge of game technology. To me, one of the best CE games we have had in a long, long, time!

Edited on 02/20/2014 at 6:09:27 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 20, 14 2:50 PM
Oh yes!!!! These developers are at the top of their game. Check all of the boxes for a great game and you have this one. A buy, buy, buy for me!
The Final Cut games were some of my all time favorites, and this is right in line.
Just a note, a little growing craving of mine. I wish devopers would look at one of the all time great games, Return To Treasure Island. One of its outstanding features was the inventory. Once you found something it stayed in your inventory to be combined with other useful things. Just a thought. Why can't we keep stuff once we find it? Let us be creative in how we use the stuff we find!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 20, 14 6:49 PM
(Hopefully) The Last Adagio

The story, a spurned lover, this time in a phantom of the opera-esque setting, has been done many times before. This effort is not bad, but neither does it particularly stand out.

The drawing style varies somewhat from scene to scene as if different artists created them. Not too fanciful, but then again not pure realism. The character voices are ok, but their accents are not consistent, making the setting unclear. The "bad guy" has a somewhat cartoonishly bad voice. Also, if you've played a recent (great) game about a mountain, one of the characters, Pierre, is a virtual twin of a character in that game.

Hidden object scenes are standard fare, drawn well enough, and fairly easy. Puzzles and mini games even more so (easy, that is). The first puzzle was so easy I'm not sure it even qualified as a puzzle.

The story is pretty predictable. Now that being said, some folks LIKE predictable, and they will no doubt give this game four or five stars. Others (ahem) will say this has been done before, nothing new here, move along.

So I'll sit out this dance, but keep me in mind for the next song.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 20, 14 7:03 PM
DANSE MACABRE: THE LAST ADAGIO CE

LAST DANCE. LAST CHANCE FOR LOVE. YES IT'S MY LAST CHANCE...

Part one of three:

I've played about half this game in four hours on an Apple Macbook Pro.

As you have figured out, no doubt, Danse Macabre is the Dance of Death. Adagio in ballet, more than just the "slow" of music, also means a gentle unfolding. Well, this game doesn't play deadly...it's not at all scary, not the least bit frightening. Actually, the only fright is the lightening fast pace. So it’s not adagio either. The first thing I think Eipix needs to do is change the name of the game!!!!!

FUN FACTOR:
This game, like the other offerings from Eipix, is a high-powered object acquisition game. In fact, among the "achievements" is the acquisition of 100, 150 and finally 200 items. The Last Adagio moves at a rapid pace and the player collects item after item pushing the game along.

If collecting "things" is what you're about in hidden object gaming then you will love Danse Macabre. It's what you do start to finish. It's not fun for me, but I know quality when I see it and, my style or not, this is a quality game.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY:
Sights: Eipix might also change its own name to Eicandy. This is a very richly designed game. It's a beautiful thing to behold. There is a lot of color (lots of gold!) and it’s very brilliant. Visually, it doesn't get much better than this.

Sounds: The music is appropriate for the balletic theme: classical and orchestral. It's not my cup of cognac, but again, if it's the style you like, you'll be very pleased with musical accompaniment.

To be continued...

Edited on 02/27/2014 at 6:54:42 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 20, 14 7:05 PM
Continuation: Part two of three

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE

HOGs: There are 17 HOGs throughout the game and they are either list-pick or silhouette finds. As usual, the list pick is pretty easy, with each one having a couple of interactive items. The silhouette style presents much more of a challenge but neither is daunting by any means.

Mini-games: This is the weakest part of this and any Eipix game. The mini-games are way too easy. Someone who prefers to avoid puzzles will suffer through 28 of them, but without breaking a sweat. Conceptually they are simple. Again, no new ground is broken. The most difficult puzzle came very early and, I think, quite by accident: there's a safe opening game. It's not meant to be difficult, it just turns out that dialing the combination is a very delicate operation. You'll know what to do. It's an execution issue only. The annoyance is having to do the same thing over and over again.

General Play: This is not a challenging game by any stretch of the imagination. It’s beautiful to behold but uninteresting to play.

STORYLINE;
You guessed it: an ages old curse. Love, unrequited, interrupted. Gaspar has imprisoned many souls as revenge for his own pain. (BTW, how do you do that???? If you know, please write me a note in the forums. I can think of a soul or two I’d imprison if I only knew how!!). You've shown up to see your sister perform the recital of a lifetime only to discover her disappearance. Several ghosts, most notably Pierre, will point you in the right direction.

To be continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 20, 14 7:07 PM
Continuation: Part three of three…

COLLECTOR'S EDITION ENHANCEMENTS

You certainly get your money's worth purchasing the CE:
a. Bonus Chapter
b. A VERY INTERESTING video about the making of the game. There are dancers practicing moves you'll see in the game. It's one of the most fascinating extras I've ever seen.
c. Re-playable HOGs and Puzzles.
d. Additional BONUS HOGs.
e. Re-playable Music/Reviewable Pics and Cut Scenes.
f. Achievements. Nothing spectacular. Some particularly weird ones, including one for SKIPPING 5 Puzzles and one for finishing 3 HOGS with the alternative Bubble Shoot game instead of the HOG itself. I understand offering the alternate, but to make it an achievement? That seems strange in what is, overall, a hidden object game.
g. 15 morphing objects.
h. 44 collectible golden roses that are not at all sneakily hidden.
i. A souvenir room that I haven't quite attained yet.
j. Last but not least: I KNOW this isn't a CE feature ?, but there is no SE yet so I'll include the MAP here. As per usual for Eipix, IMO, the format of the map is useless. There's all the regular information inconveniently organized.

Two conclusions from me:
a. If this is the type of game you like, you will love the concept...and you definitely recognize it as well. It's the same as virtually everything else they do now...different storyline but same executions. Final Cut was fun 8 months ago but this is just another book in the same prolific series.

b. If you prefer a game that's got you biting your nails, giving you white knuckles as you hang on for dear life, scared to death of what's just around the corner, you will not enjoy this game. I'm in this camp.

No matter what type of game you prefer, I have grown tired of the same old-same old from Eipix. I suggest they back off for a bit and perhaps come up with a new twist. Maybe they can hire someone to develop a completely new puzzle. That would be exciting!!!

Until then, I think I'll be taking a sabbatical from Eipix.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Feb 20, 14 10:28 PM
i have with this game a no-feeling!story is 'déjà vue' ,it is well done ,well polished but for me just average ;i have recently played beta for final cut3 and this one will be high better and challenging"!adagio" is suffering a lack of inspiration and atmosphere,just good job but not exciting or grabbing!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Feb 20, 14 10:53 PM
I enjoyed this game, to my surprise! Found myself completely caught up in the story and game play. For once, , I completely agree with every aspect of JustTheFacts' review, both the the positives (ex: excellent extras) and the negatives (ex: boring simplistic mini games) so I won't go over it all again.

I will add, for folks who are interested, that I played on Custom with the sparkles and hints disabled, and managed to finish the main game in just about 3 hours. The bonus game took 45 minutes, but doing the Souvenir room added another 15ish minutes, so I'll call it an hour. A bit short for my taste.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Feb 21, 14 1:34 AM
I played the demo and I knew right away I had to buy this game, THX DEV"s for all your hard work and time you spent on this game Kuddo's to BF..Everything about this game is beautiful and the sounds are awesome..I recommend this game..
I was hooked.. 5 's

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 21, 14 6:12 PM
I absolutely loved this game. I found it to be a beautiful game. The music was enthralling. The story line was suspenseful and pulled me in. Yes, there are similarities to other games, however, they are all similar in one way or another. The game itself is not very challenging. However, the suspense and storyline make up for that. The HOS were standard interactive scenes. The puzzles were easy to medium and standard of Eipix puzzles. This happens to be one of my favorite developers. The bonus material included in the game was amazing. The Making Of section was so fun and informative. Their male characters are based on the male developers. Definitely NOT a bad thing in this case The game play and mechanics have been very well described by the other reviewers. This was a buy for me. I loved it.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Feb 21, 14 11:03 PM
As everything I thought about this game has been said....especially by 'JustTheFacts'.....Thank you for your comprehensive review. I for one, really appreciate them.
Anyway, all I have to say, before returning to the game is...

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on Feb 22, 14 11:43 AM
I enjoyed this game, even if it wasn't too challenging. It was still unique and had different HO options to mix it up a bit. I thought it was funny that one of the achievements was to skip 5 mini games, which was actually hard to do. I would find myself stopping short of finishing each game, and then hitting skip, but it would have been better with only 3 skips! And there really should have been an achievement for reading the credits because they were hilarious! Don't miss the behind the scenes video. These developers look like a very fun group! Keep it up!

Go to: