Reviews for Myths Of The World: Spirit Wolf

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 21, 14 12:54 AM
Not Perfect, But Still Fabulous!!****

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game has everything you want in a CE. Spectacular graphics (although I’m not keen on the cut scenes, they are less than stellar), excellent voiceovers and music that is so appropriate to the game, great ambient sounds. The story is exciting and fast-paced, with engaging characters. The gameplay kept me busy for the full 4.5 hours it took me to play, and is neither too hard nor too easy. It even has a few little gimmicks to make it different from other HOPAs.

But I was disappointed all the same. Mostly, it came down to story, and authenticity.

SO, WHAT’S HAPPENING THEN?
Well, it’s kinda like this. You are called in by your friend at the Native American exhibition to help figure out the story of some glowing symbols that are freaking out the tourists. Also, there’s this thing about some mushrooms... So, off you go, itinerant expert in Native American symbolism, equipped with, of all things, an Indigenous Australian weapon – a boomerang. That was my first niggle, and once a thing like that starts, it just gets worse, and you start seeing every little thing in terms of context and relevance. And authenticity.

However, I digress. As well as the story that emerges about the Spirit Wolf, who seems to be haunting this Cultural Centre, Jessie, your friend, also raises the issue of a lost civilisation believed to have been in this general area. Unfortunately for the game, this city has no real connection to the culture of Native America and clashes with it in all sorts of annoying ways. The locations and the items in them become a jumbled mess of Native American artifacts, modern day items, and things more likely to be seen in Egypt. I didn’t like it at all. The latter half of the game was spoiled for me because of this incongruous mix, unnecessary and pointless as it was.

To be continued...

Edited on 02/21/2014 at 8:32:04 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Myths Of The World: Spirit Wolf

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 21, 14 12:56 AM
Not Perfect, But Still Fabulous!!****

Continued...

GAMEPLAY
This is a good game for gameplay, the adventure is mostly easy and fun. The HOPs (19) are interactive lists, and silhouettes. As the game reaches its climax, the silhouette HOPs go from being 10 items down to only 5. I thought is an excellent strategy for building momentum. You can opt to play a Bubble Popper game as an alternative. The Puzzles/Mini-games (18) are all doable, even the ‘battle’ at the end of the game. There is a nicely depicted interactive jump map that gives active tasks, which I found very useful at times. The hint is directional, and there’s a journal with basic information.

There are 3 modes of difficulty, plus a custom option.

You have a set of binoculars, which is for spotting faraway hints and clues. It comes with a simple mini-game where you must use sliders to focus, but it is way easier than it sounds. You also have a family heirloom, an amulet, that first started glowing when you arrived at the centre. It interacts with the magic being used in the area and dispels magic barriers, and later identifies them. There are missing pieces, and the more you find the more flexible is the amulet’s power.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game is not all it could have been, but it is still a great game. Sticking to the theme of the series, a look at different cultures and their myths, would have greatly improved the game. (A little more relevant content next time maybe, devs? Don’t worry I still think you are all geniuses *smile*)

I recommend this game!

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 21, 14 8:31 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Myths of the World: Spirit Wolf here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Myths of the World: Spirit Wolf.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgFlounder

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Feb 21, 14 8:35 AM
I liked the game a lot as well, and I almost never play HOGs anymore (yaaaawn )
BUT - to me the graphics didnt look native american - more like a mix of mayan and maybe something else. Not okay since the theme is culture...

And then there is just others a liiiiitle stupid, illogical things. SPOILER:

Among other things I found myself very fortunate that one of the monsters was patient enough to sit around and wait for me in my living room, while I went looking for at handle to the night stand drawer. Which - in all places was in the fireplace. On fire. AND I didnt know the code to my own safe! Paleeeze - a little realism here (Unless it was a dream and I missed it??? If so, then its okay

It didnt spoil the game as much as the mayan thing - but it did make me giggle once in a while

But all in all a very nice game (said by a non-believer ), beatifully made with (important!) the ability to skip the endless line of HOPs or HOPAs. Or whatever. I liked it

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 21, 14 2:19 PM
"Myths" Cries Wolf

This game has fine artwork and production values. I really enjoyed playing the earlier Myths - Chinese Healer.

Unfortunately this game is burdened with a lame storyline and even lamer voice actors. And while I am not generally drawn to games that feature an amulet, this game's downfall is more substantive.

There are also many minor quirks such as your character (an expert in Native American symbolism) driving a '57 chevy convertible with the top down through the desert. (dust, anyone? and is it not possible to draw a newer car?) And putting "AA" size batteries into a flashlight that clearly uses "D" batteries? And wooden darts? Are those sold anywhere in the last 2 decades? (hint - No) Some of the other objects listed in the hidden object scenes were simply unidentifiable.

The end for me was when the wolf character spoke. The voice of this character was so bad it was a deal-breaker. These characters are supposed to be Native Americans from long ago. They sound nothing like it, not even close.

There is an incomprehensibly tedious maze puzzle where you have to guide two birds to a nest. Very easy, waste of time, and no feeling of accomplishment.

Besides that, the music is mind-numbingly repetitive. Perhaps this game would be acceptable if you turn OFF the sound (as opposed to the developer's recommendation).

Pretty artwork is not enough anymore. We need a good story and good voice acting. This wolf has been de-fanged.

Edited on 02/21/2014 at 2:20:28 PM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 26, 14 12:04 AM

BASED ON THE SE

The sound is great, Native American music. The narration is great, the voice overs of Jesse and Misu are ridiculous, but that did not deter me from buying the game.

The graphics are great, opening with a beautiful scene of an eagle in flight. The animated wolves are breath taking.

The storyline is interesting. You've gone to the Native American Culture Center to investigate strange goings on. You are met by Jesse (who looks and sounds more like Jesse James than a Native American) at the Center and he explains the situation to you.

There are lots of bells and whistles and special effects in this SE. The hidden object scenes are beautifully drawn with lots of Native American artifacts and items in them. They are actual scenes, not junkpiles. They are interactive list and silhouette type. You can switch to a bubble shooter if you choose. Mini puzzles are lots of fun and there are collectible puzzle pieces in the game.

You get a diary, binoculars to view things far away, an interactive map, and an amulet to assist you.

It doesn't get much better than this.

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Mar 1, 14 2:57 PM
Bah...didn't care for it at all. Too many cut scenes - why didn't they just make a movie instead of a game? And the developers were way too in love with that amulet - it figured in every other thing you did. The hidden object scenes were good, but the puzzles were beyond tedious, with little or no skill or brain power required.

I do not recommend this game, unless you can get it on sale.

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Mar 6, 14 11:26 PM
Well I loved this game - unhurried and not too much backtracking. Graphics were lovely and I spent a lot of time just looking around. And yes, Aleksandar I did read and enjoyed!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Mar 14, 14 6:51 AM
I vowed to myself when this first series came out, that I would only pick and choose. So far, I've bought every one and not regretted it. This game was great and I loved it. The music wasn't Mayan to me, it was Native American. I loved the characters and the way everything came together in the end. Good job, Eipix!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Apr 7, 14 4:35 PM
A++++++ for me! I love the Myths of the World series.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 24, 14 6:58 AM
played 15 mins and deleted its all been seen and done before

Go to: