TGT - A Fairy Tale

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT - A Fairy Tale

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 19, 09 3:44 AM
Ok, well I looked and saw no discussion about this yet, which is odd this long after release, but I may well be blind. Sorry if duplicate.

This is one of those I fully expect not to like. The graphics from the info looked creepy and too bright, and the comcept seemed mundane BUT I must say it is surprisingly enjoyable. Kind of a Match 3 but with a different twist as you are causing blocks of tile to fall by matching above them and clearing them. I, at least, have not played on exactly like that. The graphics are actuially quite pleasing in the game, if a bit cartoony and bright. The story is cute and funny, but it is just a minor part of the game with lots of puzzle boards inbetween story chunks. I really was enjoying it, appeared there was no timer, but a little ways in they add one.

So, long story short, great little game that would have been a sure sale for me but it has failure built in. Sad as they could have just let the timer run out for no medal (you get gold for finishing each setquick, then silver) but instead you fail and lose a life and need to redo it. Lives are added as you go, but of course stages also become more difficult. Once again it comes down to this:

BUT:

No Relaxed = No Sale

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:TGT - A Fairy Tale

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 19, 09 3:53 AM
I love Match 3 type games but when I checked the screenshots I noticed the box that said "Lives" and that immediately put me off so I didn't even bother to demo it..

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 19, 09 3:59 AM
Well ya might still go ahead and demo as the first hour *was* really enjoyable. I let the timer run out on purpose to see what happened, but there was no real time pressure during the demo time.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 19, 09 4:02 AM
Thank you Poodle - "failure built in" says it all! Didn't download this one cos a) my boys have us at our maximum download on broadband until tomorrow and b) it looked a "little cute". Having read your review, at least now its doesn't feel as though I'm missing out!!!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 19, 09 5:33 AM
I played the beta test from the developer's site, and then an hour demo from another site. I haven't lost a life yet, and they have been accumulating. I'm not sure how long the game is. From the map, it *might* be ending in just a few more boards after my 2 hours. If the trial from BFG continues my saved game, I'll find out and let the pond know.

edit: yes the BFG version continued my saved game. The trail that appeared to end at a house was just needing the next part of the story - now there's another trail to another location showing on my map.

Summary:

No untimed version.
A game that is DIFFERENT. It's not Mahjong, it's not Match-3 either.
The timer is slow, and it's easy to earn extra lives.
Story line is stupid. Well parts of it are so stupid they are funny, and I think that was done on purpose.
The map shows which levels you got gold on, and which just silver (not sure if there's a lower than silver passing medal), and you can replay any level you like as many times as you like. (Well, I assume that if you don't pass the level you lose a life and eventually when you lose all your lives the game ends. I haven't lost a life yet though and I'm not particularly fast.)

If I'm still enjoying the game when my 3rd demo hour finishes, I'll buy it. If I'd been playing it the first time from BFG I'd have bought it for sure, because I was very disappointed when my first hour finished - I wanted to keep playing!

edit: yes, there's a third level of finishing - no medal at all, and the map marks it as dark blue.

Edited on 03/19/2009 at 6:08:51 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 19, 09 6:37 AM
Thanks for the more info, lordkalvan.

I'd be very interested to hear if after you buy it the Timer eventually becomes a problem. I seem to recall you aren;'t crazy about the high stress timers either. Did you find out about the no medal blue finish because you had almost run out of time or did you just do it on purpose to find out? I do think it's a fun game but have just been burned toooo many times on Match3(ish) games that seemed doable then killed me in the end.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 19, 09 6:43 AM
I ran out of time without trying to. However when I redid the level I got gold. There's a balance in there - if I get a pick or a gem, I'll try to avoid dropping blank tiles until I can collect the gem. If I ignore the gems and picks it's a lot easier to finish quickly. There really isn't any time pressure unless you purposely look at the clock. Fishdom drives me NUTS when I'm running low on time with that nerve wracking sound that starts up, but for this game the fairy just flies down near the timer. The first few times that happened I didn't even know that's why the fairy was flying down (and finished with silver anyway).

The names of the ranks are getting weird. I'm up to "Combo God" now.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 19, 09 6:56 AM
lordkalvan wrote:The names of the ranks are getting weird. I'm up to "Combo God" now.

Hey, take deity status where ever you can get it!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 19, 09 7:00 AM
One more - playing in windowed mode there's no way to minimize the window. Not bad because the window isn't huge, but I like to pause games and minimize them and then go off and actually work for an hour or so, then take another 5-15 minute game break. When the game can't be minimized, it's much more temptation to not work, so I just get out of the game completely instead, but that's just not as convenient.

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Mar 19, 09 7:09 AM
I didn't find Fairy tale too interesting. I thought it would be a great game for children, but to me it was uninteresting. There was little changes in the graphics in the selection and the screens.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 19, 09 7:35 AM
I have now reached the max rank possible: Puzzle Master. From the map and the way that a new set of levels appeared after I reached the last building, I'd say there's at least another hour, possibly two - and that's with me having already played nearly 3 hours.

If you ignore the gems and don't try to figure out what the powerups are (just match them) this doesn't take much thinking to play. Try to dig to the top and then over, so that you drop a huge section to get a gold combo.

It would have been a very relaxing time waster game if they didn't have the concept of losing lives - just gold, silver, and blue (or even a 4th level of completion), with the lowest completion level being just "completed".

I'm going to buy it anyway. I figure any game that I'm still enjoying after nearly 3 hours deserves to be purchased, and there's at least another hour of it before I finish, possibly two.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Mar 19, 09 8:36 AM
Thanks lord, for your input. I always read the pond news before I play.

I do know everyone likes different games, but you and a few others "KNOW THE GAMES"......Like I said thanks.

NOW, I will play the demo.

I hate the idea of a "TIMED" game. I will take your advice and play.

HAPPY GAMING

PEN

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Mar 19, 09 9:47 AM
I demo'd this from another site just the other day and really enjoyed it. Was sorry to see the hour end. Since BFG demo picked up where my game left off (that was a nice surprise!), I was again disappointed when my hour was up. Only got 1 blue, mostly silver, and a few gold medals. I really unfriendly timers but this one doesn't seem to be too bad. I don't believe I have lost a life even tho I've been close a couple of times. It's so cute and I enjoyed it so much, I put it at the top of my BUY list and that will probably be today! I'm sick of working on my income taxes (so I can help pay AIG bonuses ) and need a little diversion! May wait until lordkalvan's next post to see how it's going...

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 19, 09 10:00 AM
I probably won't finish this today, so don't wait on me.

seriously, after you get the hang of it, as long as you aren't trying to grab all the crystals possible it's pretty easy to finish in silver.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Mar 19, 09 1:11 PM
lordkalvan wrote:I probably won't finish this today, so don't wait on me.

Almost fell demo-ing another game. Was up until wee hours of AM working on taxes so will wait until after catching some before buying. Great game, tho!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 20, 09 9:34 AM
I'm still nowhere near finished. I think the levels must be taking longer now. I do have a handful of blues that I haven't bothered to replay to try for silver or gold. As long as I don't take too much time going for the gems, I'm getting silver most of the time. Up to 10 lives and only lost the one so far.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Mar 20, 09 11:39 AM
Hello!

We have the A Fairy Tale forum up and running now, so I've gone ahead and moved this thread appropriately.

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 21, 09 11:13 AM
I finally got to the Mushrooms, and now there's something like 21 levels to go to reach the huge monster. This game is taking a long time to finish, particularly since I reached the max rank a long time ago. It's still interesting to play IMO, for about 15 minutes at a time.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 21, 09 8:53 PM
I finally finished. There are at least 98 levels in the normal game, odds are I missed counting two of them and there's a round 100. Finishing unlocks "Master Quest"; I only played the first level of it but it appears to be just starting from scratch, keeping your rank, without the tutorials popping up. You can still click Start instead and get the map that shows all the levels, so that you can go back and try to turn the blues into silvers, and possibly the silvers into golds.

The time limit didn't seem to get much more difficult as the game progressed. In the last 30 levels I got some blues but I was still getting mostly silvers, with a few golds. OTOH I was purposely skipping the gems half the time, and if I had a magic wand I was using it to free a fairy.

Odds are if you enjoyed the first 60 minutes you will find the game worth buying.

edit: after playing a few of the levels on the Master Quest, it's a lot harder to get gold. They are the same levels as the first few of the normal quest, but I had no problems making gold the first time, and I'm well into the silver on the same levels for Master Quest.

Edited on 03/21/2009 at 10:55:46 PM PST

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Mar 30, 09 7:39 PM
Finished my taxes (whew!) so have had time to play and finally purchased the game. It's a lot of fun! Have gone back and been able to get gold on all but 1 up to the purple-topped tree (or mushroom?). Having a really hard time turning that 1 into gold. Have 7 golds and the rest silver up to the big mushroom and completed a couple on the way to the monster. Need to take a break now. Have also just purchased Annabel (finally finished it), Spa Mania (went back to get Expert on all levels up to the last group; still working on it), and Abundante (got stuck right after the demo ended). Have enjoyed them all! Great fun!

Go to: