Llyn
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

Cradle of Rome 2 Tourney mode

[Post New]by Llyn on Feb 23, 14 6:14 PM
Has anyone else found that they beat the best time and are only awarded a silver medal? This has happened often and without any consistency. On some games I'll get a gold with fancy red ribbon for winning with the best time, but on another it will say "record time you won!" and I get a blue ribbon. Why the difference. It's merely a question of ego here. I like have the gold where it is due.
Love the game!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Cradle of Rome 2 Tourney mode

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 24, 14 5:24 PM
Welcome to the pond, Llyn

The medals in tourney were not really explained anywhere in the game; I believe I found the information at the dev's site or elsewhere or I'd never have figured it out either. The "best times" aren't necessarily what you have to beat to earn a gold medal. It's the cutoff time for a medal that you have to beat for each color medal. If you watch the top of the screen during a tourney game, it shows a little gold medal there for a little while. If you take longer than the cutoff time for gold, the gold medal will change to silver. Then if you take longer than the cutoff time for silver, the medal changes to bronze and eventually will disappear altogether if you don't make the cutoff for bronze either.

I found this really helped me a lot in winning gold medals in tourney. [spoiler, click and drag over white area to read]

Don't pick any powerups when it gives you the powerup choice screen. This sounds counterintuitive, but having a powerup tile on the board increases the variety of tiles and makes finding matches harder. No powerups means the cascades are much more effective and you can finish the boards 30% or more faster.

[end spoiler]

Llyn
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

Re:Cradle of Rome 2 Tourney mode

[Post New]by Llyn on Feb 26, 14 10:24 AM
Thanks so much for the cut-off time info. Didn't notice that at all.
As to your spoiler, I learned that too, playing for a long time. So true.

Go to: