Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game reviews for Grim Legends: The Foresaken Bride Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 27, 14 2:04 AM
There really is nothing new about today’s game, nothing we haven’t already seen or played. Still, these types of HOPA games continue to thrill me and entertain me and unless developers come up with bright new ideas, it looks like we will continue to get similar game mechanics with differing storylines. Not that I am complaining, I enjoy playing games with enchanting storylines, strong visuals and sounds and the many extras that offer extra challenges to a game.

Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride offers sharp graphics, beautifully drawn artwork enhanced by excellent sounds and effects along with well executed animation work. Visually the game has many merits and I love the ambient sounds in the background as did my cats at home; each time kitty on screen began to meow, my cats were up and about searching the room. Also, developers managed to use relatively good voice-overs and music that was non-distracting.

Today’s story is about forsaken love, a curse and enchantments in a world filled with fairies and magic. On the eve of her wedding, your twin sister Lilly is kidnapped by a great bear who rides off with her on its back. You now set forth with Edward, her fiancé and travel deep into the woods of Ravenbrook in search of her. There appears to be a tragic tale of love and betrayal that has paved the way to this event which is what you need to find out about and so your adventure begins.

There are three levels of difficulty to choose from and as always, you have your extras which include Hidden object games and puzzles to play. Game tools include a journal, list of objectives, a map that does allow for travel, and your strategy guide that indicates that there are 7 chapters along with two bonus chapters to play. You game companion is a cute tabby kitten that purrs and meows to indicate that he can help retrieve items far from your reach and in this game, there are no items to buy for your kitty nor do you get to name him.

Game mechanics offer the standard adventure game play which also includes fragmented hidden object scenes. While I am not a great fan of FROGs, I found that the items here were easy to locate. There was one other hidden object scene during the trial version which was finding the silhouettes of items so there are a variety of Hidden Object Scenes to play. There is also the option to switch to a game of dominoes whereby you need to place your domino which surprisingly I found more challenging to play and a lot more entertaining. As for mini-games, there seemed to be many of them, all different and all very well conceptualized and integrated into the story. I thought that the mini-games were much more interesting than the hidden object scenes, which seem to be fewer in comparison.

As for the extras, you have your collectables, a set of fairies that are very well camouflaged and also morphing objects which are described as elusive objects. Each elusive object that is located decrypts the storybook that is located at the left bottom of your screen. There is also a list of achievements to earn along the way along with trophies as well.

I really do have to applaud the developers who have brought us very good games in the pass and continue to do so with Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride. I enjoyed the overall game atmosphere enhanced by great sound effects, the storyline which can be enjoyed by players of all ages and the game mechanics that come in variations. Definitely not a game that will bore you but may be a bit too predictable for the hard-core player who is searching for a more challenging and mentally stimulating game. I do miss the dark themes which we really haven’t had in a while and fairytale stories just become a bit too saccharine for my taste. However, that is not to say that I won’t be adding this to my collection after all, I enjoyed the mini games along with the game of dominos and will continue to torment my kitties at home with the sounds coming from my computer.

Edited on 02/27/2014 at 11:25:31 AM PST

Re:Game reviews for Grim Legends: The Foresaken Bride Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 27, 14 3:15 AM
I Liked It A Lot****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The intro is up close and personal, right in your face. It is melodramatic and straightaway you know this is going to be a supernatural game involving witches, demons and curses. Not to mention revenge. One thing I really liked from the beginning – lots of people and activity going on around the locations. I get tired of empty, decrepit and filthy rooms.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
This game has an eerie, spooky atmosphere, as opposed to scary spooky. The vibrant colours and cartoony graphics look good, and are clear and detailed. The music is superb, really setting the tone of the game, and I jumped more than once. A lot of voiceover, and well done.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
A ferocious bear attacks our carriage as we head towards our sister’s wedding. And things just keep getting worse! She introduces her fiancé, and the next thing we know is she is dragged off by the bear, and we and her fiancé must find and save her. That soon becomes a task that requires magic. We catch up with the bear and our sister Lilly, but then new dangers present themselves from an unexpected source.

It is nice having a partner on our search, as well as helpful characters and a ‘cute companion’ kitten, who is helpful but also very naughty.

MAKING PROGRESS
There are not a lot of HOPs in this one. We have both FROGs (fragmented object game) and Progressive Silhouette (find & use) HOPs. There is the option to play a challenging domino game instead of some of the HOPs. I found it challenging, anyway, compared to your average domino games. There are some interesting and fun puzzles. Nothing too hard. More a case of entertainment than challenge. This can also be said about the adventure component. It was logical without being linear, and I rarely needed any help.

There is an interactive jump map, that showed active tasks available, but it annoyed me. Seemed that every time I thought to consult it, there were no active tasks indicated – just when you actually needed it! There is also a good journal, and a directional hint.

COMBINED IMPACT
I really enjoyed this game. The overall quality is very good, the atmosphere is both creepy and curious, and the game play is set at about intermediate level for the puzzles. Just my size! *grin*

I recommend this game!

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Feb 27, 14 5:24 AM
Been waiting on this one.Got the chance from Artifex to beta this one.I love everything about it.But might wait for a sale on CE's,cause this sale doesn't help me since I own the other's offered.

wariatus
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by wariatus on Feb 27, 14 10:32 AM
rainworm wrote:Hi all,

as always, there are perfect reviews already here and I cannot anything which wasnt said. What me strikes, is: I am sure I have played this story before! It was not the beta version of this game. It was another game, but ???????

Anybody any idea?

This game was beta under the different name "Grim Legends: The Abyss". Hope this helps!

Piotr
Artifex Mundi

Agnes_2810
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by Agnes_2810 on Feb 27, 14 11:15 AM
Hi Wariatus/Piotr!

Thank you to you all for this well done and interesting game!

Agnes

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 27, 14 11:24 AM
Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the late postings in the daily threads as we attended a company meeting.

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 27, 14 11:35 AM
Here we have another game by one of my favorite developers. They employ such talented artists, it is truly amazing. The graphics, colors, are magnificent. Just the Facts did a wonderful job reviewing the game mechanics as did Nilosh, so no need to go into all of that. I played the demo on casual as I like to get a "taste" for the game itself. There is action, suspense, romance, and a missing bride. HOS are few and puzzles were not too easy but not too difficult. Depending on which play mode you choose, that will determine the difficulty of your puzzles. Great idea. You have a nice map that is helpful, a journal with tasks. The hint is useful. This story leans more toward the fairytale genre but with the missing bride and the suspense, I liked it. I usually lean more toward the dark, creepy games. You do get a little kitten helper who is actually not bad. Not too obtrusive and you don't dress him or name him (her?). There are two types of collectibles, and lots of achievements. This was an instant buy for me as I love games by this company. Enjoy

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Feb 27, 14 12:25 PM
no stategy guide?for a CE?just saying! does not grab me at all! enough of fairies for me and cute cats purring all around!(i have two at home!)it is a well done game but now it is not what i am waiting

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 27, 14 2:40 PM
Don't know about this game. It has beautiful graphics but hard to know what you are looking for? I guess the map will be a big help but still has a link that just doesn't go anywhere for me. Puzzles were fun and different. Will give this a 3out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 27, 14 4:49 PM
Afternoon, all. I always demo a game in casual mode to get the feel of the play, so here goes. Graphics were very nice, a bit fuzzy and somewhat faded color in places, but nice and didn't detract from the game. Game play was very good, no problems at all. Lots of voice overs that were well done. The animation was exceptional, not choppy, and very fluid. Best I've seen so far. Music was nice, and I usually turn it way down.

There are a lot of achievements in this one, check out the list. The only thing I don't care for with achievements, is that when you are on a roll in the HOP, they stop the game to tell you that you found 5 items in 10 seconds, breaking your streak...wait until I'm done. HOGs can be switched to domino game, but I didn't care for that at all. HOGs are fragmented pieces, silhouettes and straight HOG, which is fun and keeps you from getting bored with the same stuff all the time. Items are not difficult to find. Puzzles are the usual and customary and not difficult either.

SG is the standard format. There is a jump map, but it was not pleasing on the eyes...something about the way it was set up. I like everything placed on the map and identified properly, not running my cursor over the location to see what it is. Didn't seem to be a lot of returning to same locations multiple times, so didn't use it but a couple of times. Hint system is quite helpful and fills very quickly. You don't really need the SG for this one because of the hint system.

You also have 28 elusive objects (morphing) that are not as easy to spot as you may think. These objects give you more insight into the story. Also included are 30 spirits, that look more like fairies. They blend in to the scenery very well, so you really have to look for them. This is not an especially challenging game, but the play and story flowed quite well. You also get a cute little kitty to help in high or tight places..made my Yorkie bark or growl every time it meowed. The game did not make me want to run right out and buy it and I'm not sure it is CE worthy. The only "extra" I want to pay for is a nice long bonus game. I will probably end up getting this one, but not today. I'll wait for a nice special instead.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 27, 14 5:17 PM
I'll Forsake This Game

First of all, did anyone notice that "Forsaken" is spelled "Foresaken" in this thread title?

Now, on to the game. I want to say straight out that within a few minutes of play I knew this game was not for me (more on that later). However, I played it to the end of the trial. The game's setting is that you are in pursuit of your sister through the forest as she has been kidnapped by a huge bear on the eve of her wedding.

The artwork is done in a very colorful kind of "storybook" or fairy tale style (Grim or Grimm Tales?) characterized by rich, saturated reds, blues and greens with no single color really dominating the palette. Cut scenes are well done. Perhaps it's just me, but I though there was incongruity (can use that word?) between the drawing style and the story because the story is actually quite dark and frightening.

The voices I found to be lacking. While the voices used DO fit the character's appearance, the actors fall short of being convincing and instead sound like they are trying too hard.

The game play is different than the usual. There are a few hidden object scenes, which are fragmented, (FROGS) or progressive silhouette, and a lot more mini (and I mean mini) games and puzzles. They are all nicely drawn, but will not present much of a challenge. The biggest challenge is looking around and finding all the active areas. The on-screen hints are of the hand-holding type.

There are potions to be made as well. Since in the game it actually states that witchcraft is a good thing, and you meet a witch early on, I suspect there are a lot of spells and things of that type as you progress.

Anyway, I am sure I'll be in the minority on this. As I said in the beginning, I knew this game would not be for me. This is a game that is clearly aimed at the ladies. Nothing wrong with that, by the way.

There is a note on the options screen that the game will automatically play in widescreen (it did).

This seems like an OK game, not very challenging, and that definitely has a certain appeal. However, I am afraid this is one bride I must leave at the altar.

sondown
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sondown on Feb 27, 14 6:24 PM
Seems to me in many of these games there are a few misspells here and there and maybe what I call a turnip may be a beet - But in the grand picture, is that a reason to dislike a game: FORE Heaven's Sake! - Many of the talented developers are foreign in the first place and can more than half **** write and speak English - can any of you English speaking folks claim dual languages?

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 28, 14 5:25 AM
Well, the game is called the Forsaken Bride, at least on my Games Manager, and I don't remember the spelling in the game, as I was obviously not paying attention. I can't decide if I want this game, and the one thing which really detracted from the game for me is the voice overs, particularly that of the sister of the missing twin. I trained as an actor and there are times in games the voice over acting is quite good and times when it's not, and, for me, this was one of those times. The same actor voiced both sisters, which is appropriate, but as the searching twin, she was just, awful - kind of jarring and not really sensitive to the movement of the story. I actually thought about turning the sound down, something I never do. On the plus side, there are some very fine things about this game, including the color, the game's version of morphing objects and the fairy creatures to find; the different kinds of HOP's made it more interesting, and the mini-games were varied and mostly interesting. I too checked out the dominoes as a substitute for playing a HOP, and but in the context of a demo with limited time, exited almost immediately, because it looked to be pretty time-consuming. I might have spent more time checking it out in actual game play. I also noticed that the SG shows 2 bonus games -- I wonder what that would consist of? The other, though lesser negative, I also thought the devs. made a few choices that made no sense: for instance, if you were traveling to your sister's wedding, don't you think you might spare at least a moment to be upset when all your luggage with your clothing for the wedding is lost? I would. Or if your father was injured, perhaps a moment to speak with him? Nope, not here. If I'm playing a game, I'd rather not sit there and mutter to my self about plot points and reactions. So, I'm kind of on the fence, waiting for a really good sale, perhaps. But, it's obvious a lot of people will like this game a lot, the story is pretty gripping, and the way it unfolds is nice.

Edited on 02/28/2014 at 5:27:55 AM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 1, 14 3:09 PM

The character Edward, appeared to have very realistic gestures and movements and I couldn't help but notice a good looking character image at that; yet the main character's voices (twins) OMgosh... their voices were like nails screeching across a chalkboard and whiney! Agh.

As far as storyline? The beginning scenes once they entered the wooded area were too disjointed with the totem pole thingies and falling down the ravine environment/scene, etc were just not consistent with the storyline (rather oddish).... and overall after that I just couldn't get the 'feel' for the game.

Not for me based on the Demo... everyone else? Enjoy! : )

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 4, 14 2:13 PM

I loved this game, especially the story. For some personal reason, it hit just the right chord in my heart. And the collectibles fit the bill along with great graphics. I usually turn off the music on all games and I did so here so I can't comment on that, but the sound quality was excellent. HOS were interesting and the puzzles were very good.
Overall, this is a very good game and I highly recommend you give it a try!

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

bored with fairy tales

[Post New]by kiddopal on Mar 8, 14 5:52 AM
Is it just me? Or are these fairy tale games just getting boring? Even with the sale today, I am going to pass on this one. I did the demo for 30 minutes and just couldn't get into the story.

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Mar 10, 14 5:17 PM
While the game is okay, there are so many technical issues with it. Have been unable to find objects (some because the descriptions are wrong, English again). Now I am stuck on the brooch that is supposed to be under a letter by the entry to the city. Not there and can't get any further. Guide shows a heart. There isn't one in my game.
I'm sorry I bought this game. Will now delete it without finishing.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Mar 11, 14 11:35 AM
Many gamers seem to get picky over little touches. I have been known to do so myself - but I try to keep it to myself unless it's a beta and my pickiness can be helpful. Today I want to be congratulatory over a little touch. In the HOP in the hut, I was just delighted by the "Vitruvian Bear" picture.

I really can't believe someone got this game downloaded without a strategy guide. It is definitely there. You need to be a little careful to come into it from the left, because when you come in from the top or right the word "Kitty" may hide the word "Guide." But it is definitely there.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Mar 14, 14 1:36 AM
Loved iit!!!! I'm not big on the HOGs because I feel like a lot of them are just recycles of each other and insulting to intelligence but this game was great.

For one thing, the # of things to do - that's either my highest or second-highest priority in games. Maybe I'm spoiled by video games, but these short 4, 5 hour computer games really are not my thing. So when I find one that I can reasonably stretch out a bit I am always glad. (I've got a DS game that has over 750 hours of play on it so.... that's where I stand. )

The puzzles were satisfying and fun... I even liked the story, characters, graphics & music. And even moreso, I am *the* most picky person ever about spelling, but the typos here & there were forgivable in The Forsaken Bride. Didn't bother me & that's saying something - I guess because I enjoyed the rest of the game enough so that I wasn't feeling too nitpicky.

Woops I forgot to mention that I appreciated the collectibles & achievements - they only added to the gameplay even more.

Edited on 03/14/2014 at 1:37:51 AM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Mar 16, 14 4:58 AM
This game is Excellent.
I had a great deal of fun with the puzzles and....everything. I'm flummoxed on how to get all of the achievements because there were some that I just didn't get along the way - I guess that means I'm out of luck? I created a post about it yesterday so maybe someone will respond.

However...because of the new changes to the punch card program, not so sure I'd recommend buying any of the CE games. I feel bad if Big Fish is struggling financially (are they??) but I thought I had heard they were doing great!

If Big Fish IS doing great then by all means, buy this game. Just don't expect to get any credit toward free games if you use a credit on it.

Had a lot of fun with The Foresaken Bridge I just .... I don't like whats going on here.

Edited on 03/17/2014 at 9:01:54 PM PST

Go to: