bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Three Guardians

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Feb 28, 14 8:30 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery of the Ancients: Three Guardians here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery of the Ancients: Three Guardians.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Three Guardians

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 28, 14 9:53 AM
Where Were The Three Blind Mice?

I did not care for the story, as it seemed like a patchwork of amulets (never my favorite anyway), little red riding hood, the birds, the (red-eyed) raven, black- smoke bogeymen, disappearing people, and over the top drama.

Oh, and then there was the flaming enchanted fox.

All in one game, and that was just during the trial. Sorry, this was just too much for me to er, "swallow" (bird pun).

Add to that the utterly simplistic and easy game play, and mini-games which fall far, far short of being puzzling.

No, pretty art work is not enough (though yes, it is good), and this game fails to deliver on much else.

If you must try it (and of course you must), I recommend you "unscrew your head" before playing. But then again, the headless horseman may be part of the story too.

[Post New]by rhodalumpkin on Feb 28, 14 2:50 PM
Going to give it a try. I just don't think I will be making as many purchase anymore. I just found out that we cant use the punch card credits to buy games that count toward the punch card any more.

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Feb 28, 14 4:16 PM
Due to recent changes in the Game Club Punch Card program, redeeming a Punch Card coupon code for a free game will no longer earn a punch on your punch card.

You can still get a bonus punch for using your Punch Card coupon code during a Bonus Punch Promotion

truman99
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by truman99 on Feb 28, 14 5:39 PM

Based on COMPLETED GAME

I played the Collector's Edition of this game, and it was AWESOME! Others have already mentioned the beautiful graphics, so I'll just add that the PRINT-SIZE and object size is large enough to be seen even by older eyes like mine. Which is great, because this is a LONG and FANTASTIC game! Absolutely loved the hidden object scenes, and most of the puzzles. I'm not very good at puzzles, but I was able to do a lot of them and they were FUN! The storyline is exceptional and there is tons to do. ENJOY!!

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 28, 14 5:42 PM
MYSTERY OF THE ANCIENTS: THREE GUARDIANS
Part One of Four

I LOVE a Three Egg Garden Omelet. No wait, I mean a Three Guardian Amulet. Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

I played this game from start to finish on a Mac Book Pro, latest OS. It took me maybe 10 hours over a few days.

I’m NOT a fast player at all. I take my time with a game and never race to the finish. (Of course, I couldn’t even if I wanted. Still, this game makes me appreciate my own pokey play).

Overall, this is an exceptional game worthy of your consideration. It is jam-packed with fun. I think it’s a 5-star game with one unfortunate deficiency.

Here are some spectacular features that place this game head and shoulders above the rest (and, unfortunately, a couple of deficiencies which keep this game from uncontested greatness):
To be continued…

Edited on 02/28/2014 at 10:31:34 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 28, 14 5:43 PM
Continuation: Part two of four…

WHAT’S SO GREAT?
a. Look up High Def in a dictionary. This is what you’ll see. It is crystal clear. It's like looking at a perfect photograph of a moving object. I have never seen a better-looking game. As for color: it’s so richly, vibrantly colored you’ll think you’re looking at live art.

b. The developers didn’t take a shortcut when it comes to the fun. Even when you choose the wrong item from your inventory in a certain situation, there is “follow through.”

What I mean is this: typically you’ll hover the chosen inventory item over the place you want to use it. If it’s wrong it floats back into your inventory immediately with some accompanying text like “That won’t work!” In this game, even the wrong item “goes through the motions.” I.e., you won’t discover that the key you’ve chosen is wrong until it’s placed in the keyhole and the lock won’t turn and the door won’t open.

As a result of this “follow through,” there’s MYSTERY and ANTICIPATION and DISCOVERY at every turn and real excitement when a player make the right choice.

c. Every character, “human” or animal has depth of personality. This creates empathy. It lends humor (in one particular instance I’m thinking of). Even more, for the first time in a game, I felt like I had a relationship with the characters. It’s a very interesting perspective to have in a game of fantasy. I enjoyed it immensely.

I think the best way to create this personality is through the voice over. In Three Guardians they are the best, incomparable, IMO. The voice actors took this job seriously and they delivered lines with real feeling very believably. One other sound note: the background music was excellent: urgent when necessary, orchestral and richly symphonic when appropriate.

To be continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 28, 14 5:44 PM
Continuation: Part three of four…

e. There is A LOT OF back and forth. Usually this is a big pain. Not so, here. It is productive movement and, typically, along the way you are gathering objects critical to the game. The developers demonstrated great sensitivity to the possible monotony and remedied it before it became a flaw.

f. The HOGs, were a great challenge. The 11 regular “list-pick” HOGs are good. The 6 silhouette-progressive usage HOGs are well beyond good all the way to exceptional. (Note: I don’t usually follow my own advice, but, surely, less is more at times. I’m hoping that telling you the HOGs are amazing will drive you to them and you’ll see for yourself. I can’t describe perfection…especially of a piece of the game that is typically my least favorite. I KNOW IT when I see it and this is the best).

g. The cut scenes are amazing cinematic gems. This is another incomparable element of The Guardians.

And now, the NOT SO GREAT parts of the game:
a. The mini-games were a huge disappointment. Unfortunately, the worst of them (an “outline by numbers” game that you’ll recognize immediately) was repeated 5 times. Of the 40 total puzzles in the main game, I can’t think of one, good, challenging game. Adding to the misery: the puzzles play an important role in the unfolding of the story.

b. Another minor disappointment, applicable only to the CE: One of the “achievements” was for solving puzzles/mini-game without instructions. Well, that's not an achievement to be proud of in this game. I’d be surprised if you need directions for any of the mini-games. They might speed up the process a bit, but you’ll definitely figure out the goal of the game with a minimum of effort.

One note regarding the “puzzlingly” weak mini-games: When the original CE was introduced, many reviewers mentioned that the majority of mini-games are to be found within HOS. I think this is a misconception. At the beginning there are several mini-games that are part of HOS but this is not at all the only place you find them. There are many more games that are completely independent of HOS.

c. Despite my praise, there is one big exception to the great voice over artistry. I wonder if you’ll notice it!?!? OMG. It is the single most annoying voice I've ever heard in a game. I wanted to muzzle the character. Please send me a PM and let me know if you recognize who I’m referencing.

To be continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 28, 14 5:47 PM
Continuation: Part four of four…

ONE MORE ISSUE: CE OR SE

This is what you get with the CE:
a. Concept Art, Wall paper, Re-Playable music.
b. Two Collectibles (9 characters spread throughout the game and 33 squirrels)
c. A third collectible, 20 total “fresco” parts (jigsaw puzzle pieces) awarded for earning achievements. At the end of the game you can arrange the puzzle pieces into a “fresco.”
d. 22 total achievements: 3 ascending levels of 6 ordinary accomplishments for speed and tenacity (18 total) plus four standalone, of which one is for collecting all 20 ‘fresco parts” and another is for collecting all Achievements. (I can’t tell the difference between the two.
e. A well devised strategy guide.
f. Most importantly, a bonus chapter featuring 5 HOGs (1 list pick and 4 silhouettes) and 8 puzzles. The bonus chapter is about 20% of the main game.

The CE is a great value. The SE, because of the overall quality of the game and the very affordable price is a SUPERB value. I heartily recommend both and would make a decision based solely on how much you want to spend here and now. The consideration is to do what you can do get the game as quickly as possible and start playing it. It’s that good.

CONCLUSIONS ABOUT THE GAME AND ITS GREATNESS:

Three Guardians is crazy good in my opinion. I can only imagine what it could have been. By nature I am less interested in fantasy than detective and murder and solving crime of all sorts. That preference doesn’t sway me from my high opinion of this game.

Pennmom36, an important and prolific reviewer, has referred to Three Guardians as the “game of the year” and she’s “sticking by it.” Well, maybe so far. In general, though, I think it’s a bit premature. I respect her opinion, but…

…this is what’s going to happen:
The nominations for 2014 Game of the Year will be announced and this game will be among them. And that’s as close as it will get. What's going to stand in the way of Three Guardians and a trophy is the inadequate challenge and utter lack of creativity presented by the mini-games. I’m obsessing about this because this one deficiency separates Three Guardians not from GOTY but, maybe, GOAT!!

Of course I still strongly recommend this game. A year from now I'll look back on this and it will be in my top 10 for the year...top 5 maybe. But it will not be number one. And you know why.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Mar 1, 14 4:21 PM

i didn't care for this game when it came out in CE form and i still don't care for it. it just seems like a mish-mash of various fairy tales (which i'm already beyond tired of...) and i'm really tired of amulets with missing pieces to find.

it's just too much same-ol' same-ol again for me. been there, done that, played that.
the puzzles were so easy... not puzzling at all.

the artwork was good and game mechanics were fine. i didn't find any glitches in the demo.
compare this game with today's TGT (true fear: forsaken souls CE) for instance and this one really falls short, even comparing the CEs.

sorry, no buy. i guess i'm getting more picky having played SO many of these games over the years.

Edited on 03/01/2014 at 5:50:38 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Mar 1, 14 11:30 PM
i KNOW my review is ridiculously long. I'm sorry. I just couldn't stop.

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Mar 3, 14 3:34 PM
Oh, I love this game. I just bought it and have played an additional hour and a half past the demo hour, and I've had to make myself stop - it's just so much fun! I read in a previous review about the simplicity of the puzzles, but that didn't bother me at all. I like puzzles to break up the action and give you something different to do, but I detest ones that have instructions too difficult to decipher or those that are too tedious to bother with. These puzzles are simple and straight-forward, which I don't mind a bit.

Another wonderful thing is the great jump-map. So many games seem to have virtually useless maps, but this one gives you all the info you need to proceed thru the game without ever having to consult a walkthrough.

Yay, Devs! I absolutely recommend this game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 3, 14 6:32 PM
steve_san wrote:Where Were The Three Blind Mice?

I did not care for the story, as it seemed like a patchwork of amulets (never my favorite anyway), little red riding hood, the birds, the (red-eyed) raven, black- smoke bogeymen, disappearing people, and over the top drama.

Oh, and then there was the flaming enchanted fox.

All in one game, and that was just during the trial. Sorry, this was just too much for me to er, "swallow" (bird pun).

Add to that the utterly simplistic and easy game play, and mini-games which fall far, far short of being puzzling.

No, pretty art work is not enough (though yes, it is good), and this game fails to deliver on much else.

If you must try it (and of course you must), I recommend you "unscrew your head" before playing. But then again, the headless horseman may be part of the story too.

I intended to say I thought the game was too easy, and then I find Steve has already said it better than I could.

sha49tn1
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by sha49tn1 on Mar 13, 14 9:08 PM
This is one of the better games that I have played on Big Fish. It was at a good pace, not dragging, had a good story line, & the graphics were excellent. Also this wasn't a very hard game to play, but it also wasn't real easy. It kept me well occupied. I thoroughly enjoyed, & can't wait for more Mystery of the Ancients games!

sha49tn1
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by sha49tn1 on Mar 13, 14 9:13 PM
One more thing~WHY do people have to be so sarcastic? Some of us enjoy a little bit easier game. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, so I enjoy a game that I can actually see things without having to resort to a walkthrough. I never once had a problem with where to go, or what to do next. I enjoyed it. If you didn't, that's ok, but no need to try to make the rest of us feel like idiots.

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Aug 28, 14 6:28 AM
I just finished this and I thought it was one of the best games I've played in awhile. The graphics were beautiful, and I enjoyed the story line. Even the background music wasn't annoying and I usually turn it off in most games.

Yes, I did think the connect the dots puzzles were a little simplistic but heck I'd rather have those than those awful pipe puzzles. I hate those things, lol

It played for a long time too which is a plus for me when I am spending money for a CE version. I even enjoyed most of the puzzles and I am a notorious puzzle skipper. I liked how the HOS changed up styles too, not just lists, but interactive.

In fact I think I am going to play it again. I definitely think this one was worth the money.

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Jan 19, 15 5:22 PM
This is a very good game. And very long.
Graphics are great and interesting story line and entertaining games.
Thank goodness for the quick hints because this game hops from scene to scene and its not obvious where to go without hints.
Overall an excellent game and I would recommend it to all gamers.

[Post New]by whitewdog on Feb 21, 15 6:32 PM
the fly and the apple not knowing please HELP

Go to: