Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for True Fear: Foresaken Souls CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 1, 14 2:59 AM
Wow, just the other day I was complaining about all the light fairy tale themes and finally, a game that most certainly sends chills down my spine. It has been a while since we have visited an asylum; my dark side was beginning to get restless. Our story is definitely creepy and there is a mystery to be solved.
Just when you thought you knew everything about your life, you receive a pretty ominous note from a long lost twin sister that you haven’t seen or heard from in over a decade. Your adventure begins with a strange visitor at your door who has a message that beckons you to an asylum.

The game is dark and I don’t just mean the general theme of the story. Graphics, artwork along with lighting or rather lack of lighting all are bleak and rather depressing. Although you can adjust the brightness, it really doesn’t do much on screen. Regardless of the rather outdated look, the combination of visuals and sounds definitely have an chilling effect that is enhanced by ominous music in the background, very minimal voice-over and some rather creepy animations and special effects.

There are three levels of difficulty and I just wish that the expert mode would have included no black bar hints, making it even more challenging to play. Main menu offers extras which include puzzles and mini-games. Game mechanics include a journal that will hold your clues and outline the story as it unfolds. There is a map that will allow you to travel and if desired, will indicate areas that are in need of action. There is a rather disgusting looking doll, a female chucky who works as a hint button. It is too bad the developers did not add any sound effects to her, she just sits there silently and when needed, you get lights that show direction. Game-play is standard HOPA with adventure play and interesting hidden object scenes that are interactive and not as easy as you think. I enjoyed some mini-games, nothing overly challenging but some were time consuming. There are collectables, figurines that will outline the story for you and a list of achievements to earn.

Sadly, this game doesn’t really qualify as a Collectors’ Edition. It could have been much more complex and entertaining had the developers just added a bit more savvy into the overall visuals and game mechanics. Nevertheless, it is the chilling story and the odd zombie-like creature that passes the screens definitely has my full attention. I love the demo and am really looking forward to playing this game tonight. As I understand, the bonus section will add more to the story which is clever. There is a sale and I will definitely take advantage of it. For fans of scary movies, horror fiction and the macabre, I don’t think you will be disappointed. KUDOS to the developers, they definitely get an A for effort.

I do understand that the game lacks in technicality, but I still give it 5 stars because I love the story and it has been a while since I felt crept out.

Edited on 03/01/2014 at 8:26:12 AM PST

0Jade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for True Fear: Foresaken Souls CE

[Post New]by 0Jade on Mar 1, 14 4:58 AM
I believe they decided it's a CE because you have a bonus level, you can replay the puzzles, games and cut scenes, can see deleted scenes, have a few collectibles and some challenges (get through a hidden object scene without a hint) and get the typical music and wallpaper. Just guessing.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 1, 14 5:23 AM
I think this game is extremely well done. I'm playing the demo on expert mode and I don't think the black bar tips are at all over whelming. So far they only state things such as 'the door is locked' , etc., and they don't automatically come up each time you touch something. For example, in the first scene, after I had turned on the lite, and was looking around the room, all that was stated was, 'I'm surprised the storm didn't wake me', and 'why would I want to turn off the lite'. There was no offer for a tutorial, even.

It's a very eerie, well-done psycho drama much in the manner of Redrum - Time Lies, but without the cheap thrills. More like a Hitchcock movie. The puzzles I've encountered thus far haven't been overcomplicated, but new twists on old favorites. The achievements are pretty standard fare and there are collectibles to find and you have a rather 'macabre' dolly to assist you. If you play expert mode, the map won't give you hint/goal details.

The Goblinz team is a first time CE developer here and I think they've done a far better job than most of the regulars.

BFG decides what constitutes a CE, and I've never thought much of the ones that offer lots of complex visuals and game mechanics, coupled with endless and needless running around to pad the game, rather than a solid storyline and great atmosphere that allows one to get lost in the game.

I don't find the game lacking in anything. I think it's absolutely great in all aspects. All the parts fit perfectly to make a totally complete and awesome package.

Edited on 03/01/2014 at 7:31:40 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 1, 14 7:15 AM
How many times do you have to tell a game to skip the tutorial! Why do games think that us seasoned gamers need that kind of stuff! Also, the cut scenes, how many of those blessed things do we need? Let me play the game for goodness sakes! After I told it to skip the tutorial about 5, count them FIVE times, I just got out. So not worth it if they are going to hold my hand every step of the way, who doesn't know how to run a hidden object scene. So mad! So Goblinz or Dimmie Azu or whoever or whatever developer this is, you made a not so great start! I do not believe that a game has to be creepy and spooky and decrepit. But, that is just my personal opinion, I could be wrong. But it was frustrating when you have to grab an item twice out of inventory, I find that very annoying.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 1, 14 7:29 AM
If you choose expert mode, it doesn't offer a tutorial.

blessed34
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by blessed34 on Mar 1, 14 8:10 AM
So far I am loving this game! It has a real creep factor to it that is unusual for a casual game. No cute animals or fairy tale stuff.
The cut scenes are fantastic....like watching a scary movie. The intro scene truly gave me the chills.
The story line is an interesting one. The only downfalls are that the graphics could've been a little more cleaned up in some areas. The HOS are a bit tedious for my taste but thankfully there are not too many of them.
Overall, I'm really enjoying it and I bought it.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 1, 14 8:25 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on True Fear: Forsaken Souls Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on True Fear: Forsaken Souls Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 1, 14 11:26 AM
I wasn't going to buy this as a CE, because I thought it made a really good SE, but after coming to the end of the demo, decided to get it with the sale. For what it's worth, it's pretty creepy, has a fairly mysterious story in a totally grungy setting, and the mood is nicely enhanced by the music, which I liked. However, as far as I could see, other than the bonus game and a few collectibles, this game doesn't really invoke a CE. I think a lot of people might be perfectly satisfied with the SE, whenever it comes out. I think I got just creeped out enough to decide not to wait. Oh yes, and developers? No such thing as a modern cell phone (or any cell phone) in 1984, and who ever heard of one letter costing someone $66 plus for special delivery (which would be paid for by the sender anyway). I also noticed a fairly modern lip gloss in one of the HOP's. As for the rest of it, absolutely nothing about the game suggested the 1980's. Nonetheless, creep factor wins out.

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Mar 1, 14 11:27 AM
I just finished the trial on Advanced with 11 minutes left. I take my time, do all the puzzles and HOS without hints or skips. I really like it so far. The jump map with tasks to completes is wonderful. I am so bad with directions, without it I would be walking in circles. Its eerie, its creepy, its such a change of late. Not too many HOS so far, not too many puzzles (3 I think). Gonna wait to see more reviews to determine the length but otherwise i'm very happy with today's offering.

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Mar 1, 14 11:39 AM
It's been so campy lately...not now. Glad I didn't have this last night. It would have been a LONNNGG night for me! Love the demo. Off to purchase the full game. Cheers!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 1, 14 1:24 PM
Well, I guess I'm about to be the minority here on this one. The graphics weren't too bad, although a bit old school and cartoon like. What little animation I saw was pretty good, even the eyes moved in thought. Game play was good and somewhat slow on the up-take. Very few voice overs, but what there was fit very well. Music isn't bad, needed to be spookier for affect. Not sure why there is a "warning" on this one, as it wasn't creepy at all. Maybe it gets better later in the game play.

The game is very quiet. As I said, a different music would have helped this one a great deal. Not much in the way of sound FX. The SG was a bit sparse and ho-hum. Here again, they could have had a "creepy" font. Hint system worked pretty well and filled quickly. One thing I didn't care for was that the hint would point you to an item or task, even if you didn't have the part you needed to complete it. This happened more than once in different areas.

HOGs were very simple, items easy to find and graphics very cartoony. Of course, you had to open this to find that, but after you found everything that was in that area, you could continue to open that area again for no reason at allm since there was nothing left to pick up. Puzzles were the same old, same old and not difficult at all.

I like the spooky games and don't mind a scare now and then, but this game was a bit boring for me. No real challenge at all. It could have been a very nice game with some creepy sound FX. It just didn't grab me at all and I do not feel it is CE worthy, so no buy for me today. I feel it was geared more toward the beginner. Of course, I have been known to change my mind and buy the SE when it comes out, after I have had a chance to re-play the game again. Definitely will not get the CE version.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 1, 14 1:59 PM

I'm Beginning To Feel Forsaken

The setting is in the year 1984 when you receive a cryptic letter from your sister Heather, with whom you have not been in contact with since your mother died ten years ago. Heather asks that you (a green-eyed beauty named Holly) come to a certain address to visit. The address turns out to be a boarded up, broken down, apparently abandoned home. But all is not as it seems.

While this may not be a game for young children, it certainly is not as scary as it suggests. Many of the game's "surprises" are telegraphed well in advance so you really expect them. However, this game does create a creepy atmosphere and also delves into themes like mental illness and keeping the mentally ill in asylums. The opening screen is of a security monitoring station at one such asylum, and it is apparent that something has gone horribly wrong as the camera pans across dead bodies and trails of blood.

As you would expect, the drawing is not cheery and colorful, but instead it is deliberately drab using a palette of pale blues, greens and browns. There are also a lot of little critters around, such as small crawling bugs, creeping spiders and skittering mice.

Game play consists of more puzzles and locks than hidden object scenes. The hidden object scenes have a somewhat older feel, with small pop-up areas in them. Objects available in the pop-up areas are highlighted in your list, while the others are faded out. Speaking of pop-ups, there are tutorial screens that appear again and again, forcing you to turn off the tutorial multiple times.

When passing between scenes, occaisionally the opening scene appeared for a moment - the security station. This seemed odd.

Along the way you collect pages from your sister's diary which begin to fill in her story. There are also collectable statues, 15 in all, as well as other pseudo-extras like music, wallpaper, making of, achievements, deleted scenes, cut scenes, and replay of puzzles and hidden object scenes.

Maybe it's just that this type of asylum game has not been done in a while, but it does have a scary, creepy, haunting effect. It's not quite "True Fear" but it comes close.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 1, 14 2:01 PM
Bravo to Goblinz developers (whom I assume are new). I am totally enjoying this game. You receive a letter in the middle of the night from your sister, from whom you haven't heard from in 10 years. She sends you an address and asks you to go there. You get there and the place is a total abandoned wreck with creepy voodoo dolls all over the place. It's obvious that no one has lived there in ages. So why is your sister calling you to this house? That's what we shall find out. I LOVE the creep factor of this story. I am a very story-driven gamer. If I don't like the story, I'm not going to like the game, no matter how much bling and how many cuddly pets they put into it. This is bare bones spooky. You are in a grungy, dilapidated house. The colors are dingy. The atmosphere is cruddy. However, it matches the story line precisely. The demo was excellent. This is more of an adventure game, with very few HOS and few puzzles (at least in the demo). The HOS are simple as are the puzzles which is fine with me. You do get a journal which keeps track of clues and other information. You get an awesomely creepy hint doll and a jump map which also tells you where tasks are available. There are figures to collect. When you click on these figures, they tell you the story of what has happened and what is going on. The opening cut scene was fantastic. Set in an asylum, very spooky. The game ran glitch free for me (up to this point) and navigation was easy. It's a quiet game with creepy music in some parts. It's been way too long since we've seen a chilling story. I applaud these new developers on taking a different route than the standard fairy tale. SPOILER: This game is part of a trilogy, just to let players know up front there's 2 more installments coming to actually complete this story. This is a definite buy for me.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Mar 1, 14 2:04 PM
Well I was all set to buy this one,but have changed my mind.
After reading that it is a Trilogy.That means this game won't have a ending and I don't want to forced into buying the others to find a ending.What if the others aren't as good,so now it's a no for me.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 1, 14 2:38 PM

Despite my first review of "True Fear"which was based on the DEMO alone I must NOW say....

WOW!!!!!... GREAT GAME

I have now purchased True Fear and [thus far] it is actually an amazing adventure-H0G [HEAVY on the adventure] game [love adventure]... In fact, I now remember beta testing this game quite a while ago yet didn't recognize it at first.

As far as the oober-grunge, that I typically don't care for, and that some fishies mentioned, the storyline is SO good once the game unfolds, it's not so bothersome and, in addition, perhaps this will pan out. At this point, the setting is acceptably atmospheric & ok for the game scenario and now that I know it's going to be a trilogy, I sure hope it remains a "psychological thriller' and doesn't copy so many other games... it just SO intense and suspenseful as it is and extremely deep in the 'chill' factor it would sort of ruin it if the Devs copy other games. Different and original has just been so much NEEDED here on BFG

So, again, despite my initial 'take', I would say this is an amazingly well done psychological thriller story-wise and far exceeds any expectations and/or game quality I've seen in this category here at BFG. I SO hope it continues to pan out. So far it is in line with memorable 'boxed' version adventure games I've played in the past.

Edited on 03/07/2014 at 4:07:34 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 1, 14 2:50 PM
I think it's an amazing game, I played straight through the main section since I was so involved in the story. Best cut scenes I've seen outside of a Pixar movie, the voice acting was outstanding, the notes were very well written and interesting and I just really enjoyed the aitch ee double toothpicks out of it.

I sincerely hope we get part 2 but we've been disappointed before.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Mar 1, 14 5:17 PM
BASED ON DEMO

I guess I will be the dissenter here. I really enjoyed the Demo and was wanting more when it ended.

What I liked most about this game was the fact that is was almost all adventure. No sifting through a million HOGs and impossible puzzles that take away from the story. The story is the star of this game. The cut scenes all fit perfectly within the storyline in furtherance of finding out what became of your sister in this awful place. I played in casual mode as I am not a great hidden object fan, but this one hooked me right in. In casual mode, there is really no need for the hints, but a definite need for the map. Did anyone notice how many rooms you had to visit? I have a feeling this will be a long game with lots of running to and fro to find the items needed to get to something else needed. I like this type of "puzzle" because I know I will succeed in finding all the items, in due time, and get to the bottom of this creepy story.

I loved the music, as well as the washed out colors of an old and very decrepit large mansion that appears to be empty, except you know there is someone there, and hopefully it is your sister in need of desperate help. A psychological thriller it is advertised as, and it really is. It felt good to get into the spirit of creepy again.

I did not like the fact that it did not come up full screen in this day and age. 2 black bars on top and bottom make the game seem like a stretched out version of an old movie. Also, there was a lot of time spent "loading" between some scenes in the beginning, but that disappeared as the game progressed. I hope it does not come back because it is very annoying.

Don't know if this is really CE material as I don't buy or play CE's. This will be a learning experience for me. I find CE's too full of finding objects and collectibles as to take away from the story. Toward the end of the demo, I found a collectible mailman, but I didn't want to take the time to find out where to talk to him to get more hints about the story. Again, though, even with CE bling, you see it is all about the story.

Bottom line is that I liked it a lot. I can't give it a star rating, other to say that it lit up a lot of stars for me. A good old, creepy, somewhat scary, true adventure game not gunked up with a lot of extras to take away from the story.

The warning is appropriate for youngsters. Too much blood and the thought of being locked away in an asylum is not appropriate.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Mar 1, 14 6:19 PM
i played this as a beta several months ago and LOVED it! it was under different title then (bad omen) but it seems the title is about the only thing they really changed.

the graphics are a little grainy but i don't care, in fact, i think it adds to the atmosphere. everything is dark and dingy... gloomy.
the music/sounds suit the atmosphere very well, too.

i loved the way you move around the different areas, such as in the kitchen: it's a part of a room vs being a separate area.

the puzzles were a little on the easy side, but the HOSs were fewer, so this is more adventure/puzzle based, which is what i prefer, and i can put up with easier puzzles for the adventure aspect.

i'm not sure if i want to get the CE or wait for the SE, but i WILL be buying one or the other. might want to wait and see what the comments are for the bonus chapter as that's the only thing that really calls to me in the CE.

[Post New]by isismajick on Mar 1, 14 7:15 PM
So I finished this game in one day, which usually upsets me. But I loved this game. Very freaky/scary in some parts. I cannot wait for the next one to come out. I really enjoyed this game. And this is coming from someone that is usually only into the TM games. I am very very pleased with this game.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Mar 1, 14 7:19 PM
I hate dark can not see things games. I hate ugly grungy, could be a meth house tawdry places. And I love games that have something new different and innovative and this did not have any of that. The story line may have been interesting, but I get these to figure out things and this was no challenge in that department. So this is a major no for me.

Go to: