jjjogram
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Advice for new players

[Post New]by jjjogram on Mar 5, 14 9:42 AM
The last free game I played on Bigfish, the forum had a subject line of "advice for new players" in the discussion forum - Many seasoned players posted things to "not do", or "do" that I learned so much as a new player, & avoided making some of the mistakes that others made at the beginning - If any of you have been playing for a while, & have any advice for new players, please post here !

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Re:Advice for new players

[Post New]by Valkara on Mar 5, 14 5:23 PM
Never buy anything unless the game tells you to, because you won't get credit for it otherwise.

When putting up wallpaper or wall tiles, the price is per wall, not per room.

You cannot put a painting or mirror over a fireplace.

You will probably have an extra baby that appears for no reason whatsoever, crawling around in places that make no sense - long before you build the baby's bedroom. And when you finally do build the baby's bedroom, you get an extra baby.

Unless you turn the master bedroom into a dormitory, there may be more adults living in the house than there are places for all of them to sleep.

Some small kitchen appliances will not fit on a countertop. That's why my coffeemaker sits on the floor.

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Mar 7, 14 2:13 AM
Assuming you are talking about the first house ("Family house"), one baby appears when you build the bathroom, and the second one when you build the baby's room.

You get no "trial run" on flooring or wallpaper. Once you click on the surface, you've bought the selection.

Don't buy any 2-star or higher item until told to do so. Keep as many items active in the house as you can to get your payback as high as possible. (Items in storage do not add to the value of your house.) You can sell back unwanted items, but you'll only get a fraction of what you paid.

Never use gold coins to speed up delivery.Wait it out--unless you plan on using real world money for coins. You only get a few free coins per house. Hoard them to use for tasks that call for a 3-star item--usually when the game considers a room complete. All 3-star items are bought with coins, only.

I have had no trouble getting coffee maker and toaster to fit on countertops.
You can only fit one item on each countertop.

If your screen locks on the reduced size image, go back to the options menu and select full screen.

You cannot build windows or doors on collapsing walls.

The people in your house are all bobble-headed zombies, who do not interact with each other. Bathroom Baby will always return to the bathroom, unless you barricade the door with a large piece of furniture.

Yes, the bookcases are enormous, and the chairs are tiny, and the corner shower can only be used in the north-east corner of the room.

You cannot send an email or invite a friend unless you have a default email client set up on your computer--but the game will not recognize it unless it is AOL, apparently--so the gold coins for sending email and inviting a friend are pretty much bogus. The game must have been designed by some tool of AOL.

LunyKimberly
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by LunyKimberly on Mar 8, 14 8:38 PM
girlgotgame wrote:You cannot send an email or invite a friend unless you have a default email client set up on your computer--but the game will not recognize it unless it is AOL, apparently--so the gold coins for sending email and inviting a friend are pretty much bogus. The game must have been designed by some tool of AOL.

I've actually been able to temporarily switch my default email program from WIndows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook 2010 (which isn't much better than having to use AOL) and gotten both email quests to go through properly - but yeah, the email recognition system is screwy as all get out.

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Mar 9, 14 7:51 PM
I refuse to use AOL, and it is not recognizing Outlook, so I'm just ignoring those two quests. (Are they recurring, or just one time? Am I missing out on only 2 gold coins, or potentially dozens?)

LunyKimberly
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by LunyKimberly on Mar 12, 14 5:00 AM
girlgotgame wrote:I refuse to use AOL, and it is not recognizing Outlook, so I'm just ignoring those two quests. (Are they recurring, or just one time? Am I missing out on only 2 gold coins, or potentially dozens?)

You only get one 'send picture' and one 'invite friend' quest per house. So if you've only got one house going, you're only missing out on 4 gold coins if you can't do either quest. If you've got more than one house going then you'd be missing out on more gold.

On the flip side, if the developers ever get the email situation straightened out, it'll be a nice gold boost for a lot of people with multiple houses.

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Mar 12, 14 9:02 AM
If anyone figures out a way around this bug, please post here.

And...
NOTE TO BGF DEVELOPERS:
This is a major bug! PLEASE fix it!

Go to: