Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 8, 14 2:01 AM
I really hate rats, their slimy bodies, the beady eyes and oily tail; I simple hate them almost to the point of suffering from a mild case of musophobia (which incidentally I had to look up the word in the dictionary). Wouldn’t you know that there are rats in this game, great big snarling teeth-gnashing rats that pop up in front of you growling and hissing? There are also bugs and scorpions and moving plants and other not so very nice creatures. Nevertheless as it is only a computer game, I decided to overlook my revulsion, play the demo and write this review.

Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster Collector's Edition is truly an enigma. Despite the aversion I feel for some of the characters, it has proven to be a pleasant surprise. Upon initial glance, I found the graphics discerning, dark and blurred at times. Although the artwork does captivate the essence of the storyline, there could have been more sound and visual effects to really enhance the overall atmosphere. I feel that I am repeating myself when I say that this game looks old and dated which is due to the graphics. However once you get passed this, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the overall game play.

Our story begins rather abruptly; the abduction of a young orphan called Sophie by a red-eyed Beastmaster who is apparently the Lord of all beasts. You are asked to investigate and soon you find yourself surrounded by mysterious references to a Unicorn Castle and weird sciences projects that seem to have gone badly.

The main menu offers optional settings which include four game modes to choose from and picking Hardcore will make the game ultimately more challenging. Your tools include a journal that holds clues and also video footages of cut scenes to review. There is a map that indicates if actions are needed and also allows you to jump. The SG is on the left side of the screen that indicates that there are 6 chapters along with a bonus chapter. The hint button on the right side merely points at a direction.

Having started my adventure, I came across some elements of surprises that made this game rather unique. There are tasks that you come across and you are given a choice as to either complete the task or move on. There is also a Karmic option as well such; you either save a scorpion or kill it with pesticide and apparently your choice results in a Karmic effect that plays out later on in the game. When I looked at the list of achievements, I notice that there are two trophies for each task, one which is earned if you are a do-gooder and the other which probably indicates that you have a mean streak. This means I need to go back and re-play the game in order to earn all the trophies; a very clever maneuver by the developers if you ask me.

There are Hidden object scenes to play and just be warned, random clicking is punished and I won’t spoil the surprise by revealing what happens when you click away. Mini-games are interesting and unfortunately some were a breeze to play. I really miss those long and complicated mini-games and puzzles that took time and effort to solve. There is a lot of running around from one scene to another with a multitude of tasks to fulfill. You also have collectables which involve finding 45 rather obscured images of pumpkins throughout the game and 10 pages that outline the story.

Despite the disgusting rats that I need to fend off and the rather off putting graphics, I really enjoyed the game. It looks like there is a battle to be won, a child to be saved as well as a mystery to be solved. I give it four stars and applaud the ingenuity of the developers and look forward to seeing them progress with other games to come.

Edited on 03/08/2014 at 8:46:34 AM PST

Re:Game Reviews for Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster CE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 8, 14 2:06 AM
Argh!! I can't believe it, again we set up a thread within one minute of each other!!

Now stay still nilosh, and I'll bring me over here.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 8, 14 2:07 AM
lol

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 8, 14 2:07 AM
LOL Great minds think alike ))))

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 8, 14 2:08 AM
Worth The Wait*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

This game is a sequel to the Mystery Of The Unicorn Castle, which was released 5 years ago. That sure is a long gestation period. But it may well have been worth the wait.

While not an extraordinary game in terms of production values, it does have a unique approach to gameplay that I find very intriguing, and lots of nifty little ways in which it is made more appealing.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
With a good and engaging intro, this game involves your emotions straightaway. The graphics are very good. Clear and well drawn. Nothing to complain about, but they are not outstanding either. I do love, though, the game interface. It is an almost iridescent almost-white blue against a dark background, with the bare minimum of clutter around the (lockable) inventory bar. The game itself is quite dark. Some may feel it is too much so. A neat trick is having you zoom into the close-ups rather than opening a window. And you can choose to turn off this feature if you wish.

The game is narrated by our character, and for most part is very well done, although his intonation seems a bit off from time to time. There is quite a lot of talking involved, so many will be pleased to know that you have the option to switch this off as well. Special effects are good, and there is a variety of ambient sounds, including silence. The music is sinister, yet quiet rather than frightening, and includes vocals.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You do not need to have played the original Unicorn Castle game, which was, if I remember correctly, a lot of fun, with interesting gameplay, but not dazzling, and not relevant to this story.

A young girl has been kidnapped under unusual circumstances and we have come in to investigate a nearby abandoned castle. We catch a glimpse of Sophie and her kidnapper, some kind of beast, going into it, and we are off in pursuit. Along the way we also meet a ghost who asks us for help, in return for assistance in the matter of the kidnapper. Oh yes, and let's not forget the giant, aggressive, almost human, rats!

GAMEPLAY[/b]
This game has some HOPs, interactive list, but really not many. There are slightly more puzzles. Nothing is actually difficult, and I didn’t even use the directional hint, or skip. You do have a choice of 4 difficulty levels and I was playing on the easiest, but I really don’t see it will make much difference. The interactive jump map gives you active HOP scenes as well as active tasks, visited and unvisited areas. There is a diary that holds your notes and replayable videos.

What’s unusual about this game is that along the way, quite frequently, you will be asked to decide which way to behave. Help the ghost or not? Kill the scorpion or shoo him away? Allegedly it will alter the way the game progresses, and it certainly does change the achievements you win.

CE BLING!
There are both achievements and collectibles. The collectibles are Halloween pumpkins, and there are 50 to be found. They are not all easy to find, either. The other collectibles are wisps, which instantly recharge your hint meter when you catch them. They only come into existence if you need them. There are also 8 pages of historical notes to collect.

The achievements have their own Trophy Room in the main menu and are given out for a mix of both story-related (and for once, you may fail to get a story one, depending on your choices), and performance-based. Your choices for good/evil are divided on either side, for a weighing up at the end, I guess. A panel pops up in the game when you receive a trophy, and again, you have to option to switch it off. I know many will like THAT feature!

The usual SG, quite useful, and bonus chapter. There are inaccessible (in the demo) gallery items and music, replayable puzzles and HOPs. There is nothing here that excites me, but that weighing up of our ‘karmic choices’ is interesting.

COMBINED IMPACT
I really enjoyed this game. It was fun from the very beginning and kept my interest all through the demo. Maybe it isn’t a world class performance, but it is very good, and has that indefinable fun factor.

I recommend this game!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Mar 8, 14 4:03 AM
This is an interesting game. Yes, graphics could be better but I have seen worse.
I like the fact that sometimes you can choose whether to be bad or good.
I guess it changes the outcome of the game.
Pumpkins are hard to find. Mini games and HOS are your standard, but beware, you can get penalized for misclicks.
I don't mind the rats especially the ones that are somewhat elusive. Nice touch.
Now if they were spiders......that is a different problem for me
So far I'm enjoying this game. It is different and I'm getting sucked in.

Nilosh and Justthefacts......love you guys, Too funny and always excellent reviews

sadeyes0722
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by sadeyes0722 on Mar 8, 14 4:12 AM
Thank you all for the reviews. definitely a must by for me. have a great day.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Mar 8, 14 6:56 AM
Thanks for the great reviews. I really hate big,fat rats so I will have to give this a lot of thought.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 8, 14 8:46 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for starting the reviews thread Nilosh!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 8, 14 9:54 AM
Didn't think I would like this but it's a game that you can get into. Has lot's of twists and turns. Like the big scary rats.. Game has map, hint that you catch a shinny blob to get your hints to reload faster and HOG's are sometimes hard to see, but managed. You have decisions to make to have the game either go one way or another, haven't figured out what that means? Give this 4 out 5 stars..

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 8, 14 11:45 AM
First, thank you Just the Facts and Nilosh for your excellent reviews. They are a must for me Second, I loved this game. It's different from others that are churned out. I think the graphics and colors suit the mood of the game. I love the zoom in feature instead of opening and closing a box to examine an item. I love the narration by the "hero", and for those who don't enjoy this, you are able to turn it off. Not many HOS, which is a huge plus for me. Feels more of an adventure game with a purpose instead of constantly stopping at HOS. The puzzles were cute and I found them pretty easy which means they must be very easy The balls of fire or whatever they were that you find to recharge your energy faster were fun to find. There are also hidden pumpkins, some not easy to spot. Love the music and the creepiness of the game. I have no problems with rats. Had a really funny, domestic one as a pet for quite a few years. He'd reach his paw out every morning and shake my hand LOL. But I digress..... I enjoyed the choices you were able to make regarding karmic choice. Gives for good replay value also. I recommend this one. Enjoy !!!!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 8, 14 12:25 PM
Yeah! It's Mermaid Day at BF! Sorry for all the mermen on this site - guess you don't get a day - but who cares? You pretty much rule the undersea world anyway! Congrats JTF for remembering this dev after 5 years! Awesome! You are awarded the BF Women's Day Memory Trophy in this game's trophy room.

We have a game from a dev who has mysteriously reappeared after a 5-year absence. Maybe they got caught up in the "immortality" experiment perpetrated by this game. Instead of transferring brain synapses into robots, they were experimenting with genetically modified rats! This game is a type of "Planet of the Apes" with sentient rats instead of apes.

You are a detective who has been called in to save little Sophie, a girl who has been kidnapped by a giant rat. She disappears into a castle and you try to save her from a warlock interested in becoming immortal. This is a "dark" game. Yes, fishettes - you will encounter huge, disgusting rats in this game! However, I must congratulate these devs on being socially conscious. The devs provide sign language on the door leading into the castle and provide "karmic" choices for your actions. (i.e. You get to choose between killing bugs with a chemically based insecticide [hey - keeps my job] or being a dogooder and picking them up with gloves.) Yep! I choose chemicals every time - "better living through chemistry." You have an option to choose outcomes which is relatively new on this site. I believe your choices help direct the outcome of the game. The graphics, to me, were nicely done. The HOP scenes are interactive. This is more of an adventure game with few HOP scenes and some relatively easy puzzles throughout. The hints are obtained through "orbs" or light which you must collect. If you "overclick" in the HOP scenes, you must trace some kind of symbol to return to the scene. I did not like the four choices for levels of play. What is the difference between Expert and Hardcore levels? To me, it would have been better to offer a "customized" option.

This game seems as if it was developed for Halloween instead of this time of year and may have been sitting in BF's vault for some time. The collectibles are pumpkins. The "muzac" is very eerie and depressing. I rate this 3+ stars out of 5 stars. It is a decent game and a good value for the discounted price.

Edited on 03/08/2014 at 12:37:04 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 8, 14 3:01 PM
Hmmm, rats and bugs! If either creep you out, you don't want this game. They do add "creepy" to the game, but not scary (at least not for me). Graphics weren't too bad, although a bit fuzzy. Game play was good, no problems there at all. Music was rather soothing, but did change with the action of the game and the sound FX. Jump map was very well put together, with areas nicely spaced apart and well identified. There is a lot of returning to the same areas multiple times, so you will use the jump map a lot.

SG was the usual and standard and easy to follow. Hint system was different, in that you could wait for the meter to fill (very slowly), or catch the little "spirit light" that floats around when you need to fill the hint. This is not difficult and fills instantly. The only time it shows up, so far, is when you need to fill the hint, which is very nice.

HOGs are neat and clear and items are quite easy to find. I didn't come across very many either. Puzzles are a little different, but not difficult at all. They really didn't take any time to complete at all. I don't pay much attention to achievements, so good if I get them and okay if I don't, since they don't make a difference in the game play or outcome. The only collectible I found were the pumpkins. They really aren't difficult to find, but you do have to look for them, as they come in many different styles (and that's all I'm saying about that). Others have said there is a click penalty, but I deliberately tried it and never got a penalty.

This game is not especially challenging, and the story is not new, but I found it interesting. The story seemed to move a bit slowly. The best part of the game is the ability to choose how you want the game to play out. Of course, I think it probably would not matter what you chose. I'll have to test that theory out and replay with different answers to questions. Yes, I liked this one well enough to buy it and add it to my ever growing CE collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 9, 14 12:47 PM
I bought this game sight unseen (no trial) because of the sale. Oh, what a mistake. It just leaves me feeling depressed and gloomy and longing for the sun to break through. The graphics are dark and dated, and the rats, which were fantastic in The Nutcracker, are too much like the real thing here. Yuck.
No, I do not recommend this game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 9, 14 2:25 PM

In Search Of A Unicorn To Make Sense Of This

This initially got my hopes up in the beginning that I could finally play a present day game. There was actually a modern (ish) cell phone and a motor scooter. However, it quickly went downhill (heh) and we ended up in an old cemetary, a diapidated castle, an abandoned blacksmith workshop and a broken down stagecoach.

Not sure what the developers were thinking here with the story. Maybe the discussion went something like this:

"Let's create a game called "The Beastmaster," and let's include tons of oversized rats running around. Now, we also have to appeal to all the people who are put off by that, so we'll add a unicorn. People like unicorns. There, that does it."

No, it doesn't.

I could never get into this game because I was not sure what was going on. Maybe it gets better. I'll probably never find out unless I have a credit to use.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Mar 9, 14 7:27 PM
Thanks BFG for a terrific game on a rainy day! I found it fascinating. I like the Ho's, the mini games. A lot of intricacy to it which made it different to all other games I have played. It was not easy even on the easy mode. You had to follow hints, notebook, map and strategy guide. I was proud to finish the game. Rats, ghosts, creepies and all. I even jumped a few times. Real enough scary creepy scenes to hope I don't have nightmares tonight. Thanks for Women's Day!!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 10, 14 11:03 AM
steve_san wrote:
In Search Of A Unicorn To Make Sense Of This

This initially got my hopes up in the beginning that I could finally play a present day game. There was actually a modern (ish) cell phone and a motor scooter. However, it quickly went downhill (heh) and we ended up in an old cemetary, a diapidated castle, an abandoned blacksmith workshop and a broken down stagecoach.

Not sure what the developers were thinking here with the story. Maybe the discussion went something like this:

"Let's create a game called "The Beastmaster," and let's include tons of oversized rats running around. Now, we also have to appeal to all the people who are put off by that, so we'll add a unicorn. People like unicorns. There, that does it."

No, it doesn't.

I could never get into this game because I was not sure what was going on. Maybe it gets better. I'll probably never find out unless I have a credit to use.

You said it all and very well, my friend. I bought this game without a trial and am I sorry. Yuck is the best word I can use to describe the "experience". I wish there was a group that accepted donations of cast off games we will never play, that will sit in our "purchased" tab for years! This is one I will never finish playing, even to kill off all those rats !!!!!!

[Post New]by AlphaLadywolf on Mar 11, 14 11:56 PM
I have to say that I bought the bundle right after playing the Demo. It was intriguing and keep my mind working.
Pros: Graphics, Voiceovers, Sound Effects, Music, all crystal clear on surround sound on my MAC
-Lots of HOS and Puzzles, with interactions that aren't too challenging, but not too easy.
-Lengthy (Which for me if I'm going to pay money for a game, it better last a few hours) In fact, I spent a few Insomniac nights up playing because I was hooked.
-An interesting and intriguing story of Good (Unicorn) versus Evil (Warlock), you get to save a little girl's life, as well as, the kingdom and the Unicorn who protects the land.
-There are many Karmic choices available, which I love because it's a game that you can truly make different choices every time you play and have something different happen.
-Along the way, there are hidden 45 Pumpkins that you must find, and they are all different, which adds to the fun and excitement.
-There are many trophies available, some based on your Karmic choices and others on how little you use the Hint button for HOS and the game itself.
-There is a Strategy Guide included, which provides a Walkthrough and pictures to help you out.
-The Map shows you where you have tasks and HOS, which helps if you are feeling a little lost.
-The Diary holds all of your notes and illustrations for referencing later on.
-There is a Bonus Game, where you can save he kingdom again. It's short and sweet, so if you don't have much time and want to play a quick game. This one is perfect.
-There is also a Bonus section if you just want to replay HOS, Puzzles, and more without having to go back into the game.
-The are 4 levels of difficulty. The first 3 allow you to change the level during the game. However, the hardest does not.

Cons:
-While using some of the tools, you may have to try many times and I wasted quite a few hints because I either didn't click on it just right or there was a glitch and it wouldn't allow me to (For instance: Having to put the blade on a spade handle, for this, there were extra steps, which I won't spoil for you unless you ask) (Another was having to use a lasso on a handle. No matter where I placed it, it wouldn't accept it until I used the Hint button, which pointed to a spot I had already clicked on.)

Other than that I loved the game and can't wait to play it again and see what happens when I make different choices.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's definitely worth it

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 14, 14 6:15 PM
Finished the Demo and I can say, on pay day, I will definetly be buying! I thought this game looks very interesting, loved the graphics, the story, and the whispy thing that recharges the hint button. I read about the pumpkin things, haven't noticed any of them, but will look once I buy the game. The rats don't bother me. My son had rats as pets and they were adorable - nothing like the rats in the game, tho, thank goodness!! Looks like a good game. I played the first "Unicorn Castle" game so long ago, I don't know if this has any resemblence to it or not. I do know I enjoyed the first one. Will do a review when I have played the full game.

feenix

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Mar 15, 14 6:27 PM
Loved it....definitely raised the bar for CE's....a lot of fun, new stuff, cool stuff...demo and check it out! watch out for these dev's, they got it goin on!

Go to: