bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

Post your REVIEWS for Monument Builders: Great Wall of China

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Mar 10, 14 7:11 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Monument Builders: Great Wall of China here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Monument Builders: Great Wall of China.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

Re:Post your REVIEWS for Monument Builders: Great Wall of China

[Post New]by moesart on Mar 10, 14 12:09 PM
I'm a little on the fence on this one. I bought it because I enjoyed the demo. There's a twist from all the other monument builders in that you can spend your earned gems to make stronger workers, faster factories and automatic delivery. As the game progresses, you really have to spend these to get gold. I'm a gold nut. But they become more expensive so you start using more gems than you earn and eventually run out. I don't like this aspect of the game at all. I like to strategize. I even started over to see if I could be a little more thrifty with the gems. So not an enthusiastic thumbs up from me. I wish the devs would read this and change the game. Just for me!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Mar 11, 14 12:07 AM
If you like having to click ALL the time and having a game with no tutorial this might be of interest but when you start a game it should actually tell you how to play it not just some garbled stuff - like these guys like to train but they just stand there with hearts and do nothing - never move and no instructions on how to have them move. Developers have to realise that not everyone will have tried a game in a series before. I lasted 5 minutes before I gave up due to having to click to get a worker to do something, then to collect what they had cleared, then to collect something produced with the added lack of instructions. This is simply awful.

Nypthes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Nypthes on Mar 11, 14 9:22 AM
I agree with Bertie, have no idea what to do with the guys that are supposed to be trained, I click, they never change never move no matter how often I click on them, Can't repair the road to move the bricks. I gave up since no instructions that are helpful.

BlueLena
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by BlueLena on Mar 11, 14 4:59 PM
Agree with all above, played about 5 minutes, as stated clicking on the Samurai type things to train them gets you nothing but a circled heart (unexplained) and an arrow constantly pointing at something I couldn't see!
No clear instructions made this a no play for me.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 11, 14 6:40 PM
Unfortunately I bought this before I got too far into the demo and, agree wholeheartedly with other reviewers that there is FAR too little instruction and NOT enough repetition in the beginning of the game to get a 'feel' for things.

Each level escalates and changes before you've even learned how many logs/money/etc it takes for each 'factory' and/or what factories are needed for specific items so that one can chain effectively. In addition, the graphics are very busy and contrasted so focusing on each building, etc before becoming familiar with things is difficult (it was for me at least!)

This could have been a great game but my patience (and I'm not one to typically need nor want much hand-holding!) wore SO thin by level 13 with the little guy popping up with JUNK information that I exited and won't go back until I either go to an earlier version or get tips or maybe I'll just delete it!!

Errrr.... I really expected this to be a good game and it is a FAIL so far.

ETA: Oh, to respond to the question of the 'little guys with hearts above their heads' you just hold your cursor over them and tap until they vanish.... in level 13 it wasn't allowing me to do so (without warning!) and I assume I have to give $ to the temple, yet, again.... FAR TOO LITTLE INSTRUCTION!

Edited on 03/11/2014 at 6:41:54 PM PST

njewer
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by njewer on Mar 11, 14 9:35 PM
I agree with moesart. I have the other six games in this series - just finished replaying them all again as I ran out of good games to play. I love the other six - they were all similar but added little changes here and there to keep it interesting. BUT this one, with the using gems to buy skills and so on....I do NOT like it at all - especially as on many levels you have to use the gems or you cannot get gold (and I always HAVE to get GOLD!). I much rather liked the other games and being able to strategize your way through a level. Now it seems the only "strategy" is what extra skills to pay for so you can get gold. Not a change for the better and I hope the developers do NOT continue with this....I've already bought it so will likely finish it at some point - I will likely just play earlier levels a zillion times to build up gems and then just use them on every levels....hardly a strategy! Very disappointed - this was one of my favourite series and it is ruined for me! The same with MKFTP - waited forever for the new one, bought right away and was so disappointed with it that I haven't bothered to finish that one yet either. I am just so mad about both these games....WHY ruin a good thing...WHY????

nanabare7
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by nanabare7 on Mar 12, 14 8:02 AM
I bought this game just because I love TM. I wait 'patiently' for new TM games to come out, try them out, and usually buy. But wish I had not bought this one. It is almost 'impossible' to get 3 stars on most of the levels. Have been playing TM games for years and consider myself very good at them. But this one has me stumped.

[Post New]by OregonTeddy on Mar 12, 14 5:05 PM
I almost deleted this game! Couldn't get past level 3 until I accidently clicked on one o f the warriers. His life decreased so I kept on clicking! Such a simple thing that should have been in the tutorial...they really fell down in this game. I have never played any of the previous games in this series but was wanting a TMG so bad that I bought it! Now I can finally proceed (wondering what surprises there are ahead).

[Post New]by OregonTeddy on Mar 12, 14 9:50 PM
I got all the way to level 35 before I decided to start over and save most of my pink diamonds....I'm only using them for the auto delivery...and the game is much more fun now that I know how to play it!

goeash
Koi
Koi
83,226 Posts

[Post New]by goeash on Mar 18, 14 8:59 AM
I thought I would enjoy this game, but got so frustrated trying to work out what to do with those hearts flashing over the men's heads that I deleted the game. I was puzzled by the lack of information on what to do. Then I read these comments and found I was not the only one.

tommychoo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tommychoo on Mar 19, 14 3:16 AM
I love these games!! I actually wait for the next one to come out and I play them over and over. Unfortunately because of that, I always just buy straight away and wish I had tried this one first because I certainly would not have bought it. People who love this game already know about the clicking on deliveries and that its mostly just clicking, but thats part of the Monument Builders fun! I am a player that likes to play until I achieve gold on all levels but this one I was just ploughing through to get to the end of the game without even bothering as I tried and tried on some levels and just gave in, you can never get enough rubies to get gold on all levels, you cannot even save them up because you have to use them quite early on in the game to even stand a chance of getting gold in the early levels. As always, the game producers have taken a popular series and decided to change exactly what people love about the game to make it into a poor annoying, frustrating tm game. I will certainly not be buying the next if it is anything like this one, why change a good game series to something that just makes people angry and frustrated instead of enjoying it! Not impressed at all.

Pixieydust
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Pixieydust on Mar 19, 14 4:16 PM
I am trying to like this demo. I have never played these before so many of the things that players are having no problems with I am finding the lack of instructions very annoying. I usually like games like this, but other fishies are right, they throw too many new things and you need a bit of time to get used to how it is done.

I loved the other building the great wall of china game on here made by someone else. I am going to go back to that and play it instead while I figure out how to play this one.

Very frustrated.

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Mar 21, 14 5:00 PM
njewer wrote:I agree with moesart. I have the other six games in this series - just finished replaying them all again as I ran out of good games to play. I love the other six - they were all similar but added little changes here and there to keep it interesting. BUT this one, with the using gems to buy skills and so on....I do NOT like it at all - especially as on many levels you have to use the gems or you cannot get gold (and I always HAVE to get GOLD!). I much rather liked the other games and being able to strategize your way through a level. Now it seems the only "strategy" is what extra skills to pay for so you can get gold. Not a change for the better and I hope the developers do NOT continue with this....I've already bought it so will likely finish it at some point - I will likely just play earlier levels a zillion times to build up gems and then just use them on every levels....hardly a strategy! Very disappointed - this was one of my favourite series and it is ruined for me! The same with MKFTP - waited forever for the new one, bought right away and was so disappointed with it that I haven't bothered to finish that one yet either. I am just so mad about both these games....WHY ruin a good thing...WHY????

I totally agree with you. The introduction of the gems in the series just confused me. I too have purchased every game in the series up to now. I love that they were the same and I knew what to expect. But with the rubies, I was so confused. I did not know if I should splurge and use them all or if I should save them as I might need them later. As it was, I finished the game with 40 rubies on account. And it was nearly impossible to get gold without using rubies. So I was, overall, rather disappointed with this game in the series although I still gave it 4 stars on my review. (one star off for the stinking rubies)

scuba1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by scuba1 on Mar 31, 14 10:29 PM
I'd give it a 3. Found it slow and don't like the constant clicking to stop the thieves. Also don't like the limited opportunity to get gems and the way they evaporate when you want to replay a session. I prefer games that require a strategy to complete with 3 stars, rather that one that pretty much just has you chasing your tail. I did like the tidbits of knowledge and thought the little guy had some cute lines.

adinah
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

Gems are not an improvement in game play

[Post New]by adinah on Apr 3, 14 1:06 PM
I could accept the addition of the idea of needing to buy upgrades if the game did not penalize you for realizing that you have gone in the wrong direction and have to restart the level . That is so different from the other games in this series.
I often had to redo the levels multiple times on the previous games - and usually just hit replay when the gold level ran out (after I had played it once to find out what I had to do).
This seems to be a carryover from the pay to play idea that all the sites are adding. I will never get sucked into that money pit - even if I have to play all my current inventory again and again. I hated to see Big Fish get into this area and that a lot of my favorite series are going into the maximize the cash flow genre. Given the number of games that we "thrifty" types buy, I would hope they could refrain from making everything more difficult.

EMBESTE
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by EMBESTE on Apr 12, 14 9:26 AM
I have bought and enjoyed all the previous Monument Builder games, so I didn’t do a preview and just bought it. Lesson learned. I am extremely disappointed that level 34 appears to be unbeatable. I don’t like the gems, but could live with them if you weren’t penalized so much. You need 9 to play some levels, but only earn 3 for winning. Therefore, you have to play levels multiple times, just to break even. You shouldn’t lose gems for starting over. It is really frustrating to have to complete a level you know you won’t win, just to earn enough gems to play it again. Also, on several levels, I finished the level at the last second, and the game ended showing 3 stars. However, when the screen flipped to show the totals for the level, I only had 2 stars and missed by 2 seconds. I don’t know how that happened. I won’t be so quick to buy the next Monument Builder game.

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Apr 19, 14 7:56 AM
This game is deceptively simple but actually extremely difficult if you are "after the gold". It takes a lot of strategy, and you really need to use the gems wisely. Unlike some, I had played other Monument Builder games, and found it easy to figure out what to do - though not so easy to do it. It is simple to get two stars on every level, and the game usually has one or two extra gems you can pick up if you watch for them. I did have to go back and repeat some earlier levels to get extra gems.

I have gotten all gold on all the other Monument Builders, but I don't think I can manage it for this one. You have to have perfect strategy. Nonetheless, it is fascinating to play. I had a lot of fun watching the buildings produce at warp speed, and all the little donkeys head off automatically. A lot less clicking than in most games. Definitely a game of strategy.

The earliest Monument games were not as much fun to play, due to poor graphics and limited strategy. But I have greatly enjoyed all of the rest.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on May 27, 14 3:53 PM
Unlike others posting reviews here, I did not play the other games in the series because I thought it was a house building game based on the name. I like time mgmt. not house building games. But I kept reading people saying how great the series was so I finally bought one just to see. It appears I picked the wrong one. Because other reviewers are saying the other ones in the series are great. THIS one is awful. I absolutely hate it.

I didn't have any problems figuring out the instructions, like other reviewers have complained. But I really object to the whole ruby business. I ran out of them before I understood how they worked. And I can't get gold without them. The game play is slow and the graphics are heard to see. I'm annoyed that I finally bought the wrong one in the series.

Edited on 05/27/2014 at 3:57:28 PM PST

Waterfaery
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Waterfaery on Jun 20, 14 11:05 PM
Well, It's nice to know that it isn't just me. I have loved this series from the very first game; even writing to the developers to thank and praise them for a wonderful game series and beg them to keep it going. I was sorely disappointed when they made the change to the tree groves in game 4 (Notre Dame) so that your wood is never valued any higher than ten, making it impossible to get the wood you need without being forced to order it, and that you could no longer upgrade the roads to get your carts moving faster. Games 4, 5, and 6 were harder and somewhat frustrating, but you could at least get the gold on all levels if you planned it right. Being such a fan, I bought game 7 sight unseen without even playing the demo. HUGE mistake. It is so hard and so frustrating that it is not even any fun to play. Great Wall really has just ruined the whole series. I'd demand a refund if I had bought it from the developers, but I won't punish Big Fish for the developer's screw-up. They really need to go back to the first three in the series and remember why this series became such a hit so quickly. Bare minimum, they should at least issue an updated version of this game with a fix on the ridiculously low time limits on every level.

For those considering buying this game, play the demo first as far as the trial time allows. You start getting cheated out of stars and rubies around level four and it tends to go downhill from there. I was so frustrated by level fifteen that I just turned it off altogether. Seven bucks wasted.

Go to: