[Post New]by orphaned on Mar 11, 14 1:46 AM
please post your reviews here .......

Edited on 03/11/2014 at 9:01:13 AM PST

Re:REVIEWS for Mind Snares: Alice's Journey

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 11, 14 3:23 AM
Wow! Fantastic!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
One of the best stand alone SEs I have ever played, this game opens with a casual confidence, twists into mounting tension, builds on into creepy, suddenly becoming downright scary, and then that darn sinister laugh - nearly gave me goose bumps. You just don’t see many intros which are that wide-ranging in emotions.

And everything about the game is just a little bit different.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are easily CE standard. The cut scenes are extremely well done, the HOP scenes are clear, detailed, and with just the lightest of surreal touches making them interesting. Lots of life and light, but with that colour palette that always lets me know this is a game that will have its gross moments. You know, the purples and greens, and oranges with pinks. Liked the interface, too. All that dangerous broken glass!

The main character/narrator’s voiceover is excellent. She acts very well, with the right emphasis and intonation, as well as clear and flawless pronunciation. The other characters achieve a close approximation to lip synch. The music is multi-layered, often ominous, but also exciting & energetic at times. Great ambient sounds and effects.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
This is a good somewhat original story, well structured, but little emphasis is really given it in the game. You used to be trapped in a dead end job with an over-demanding boss, but without the fortitude to get out. Then something terrible goes horribly wrong. An evil laugh follows you down into darkness, and you wake up trapped in a hospital room. But the story does not descend into another of the ‘abandoned asylum’ games, it is way more weird than that!

Alice’s journey is an internal mental one, as most of you have probably already guessed, and so anything is possible. We find ourselves on a quest to find 4 totems, each from a different world, in order to escape back to reality.

GAMEPLAY
The adventure gameplay is fairly easy, and so too are the many HOPs and mini-games. There are, wait for it, 30 (!!) HOPs, but don’t panic, because there are 40(!!) mini-games. At least, it seems so according to the achievements list. Yes, there are also (many) achievements! No collectibles however.

Again, some at least of the HOPs you can expect to be quirky, for example the one of Vitrupian Woman (hee hee), where all the items on the word list are silhouettes on a poster.

So far the mini-games are easy and fun. The journal gives objectives and sub-objectives, as well as notes. Hint is directional, and you will eventually get an interactive jump map, which indicates task available, if you choose. There are choices of 3 levels of difficulty, volumes, widescreen, and aspect correction.

COMBINED IMPACT
It took me almost exactly the full hour to complete the demo, which was still in the first of 4 chapters, and a reasonably long way till its completion.

These developers have spent their money wisely. There are only a few but very effective cut-scenes, which you can’t play later, and carefully distributed excellent voiceover, rather than endless chat. It just doesn’t have the glamour of many games. But it has good solid gameplay, attractive and interesting artwork, and a little quirkiness as a bonus.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 11, 14 4:20 AM
I am totally in agreement with JustTheFact, this really is a spectacular game. Yes it is cartoonish, yes the first scenes are familiar; like we haven't had a car accident and woken up in an empty sanatorium or hospital? The story however is really fascinating, a theme most of us can relate too. Conquering one's fear and realizing what a paralyzing effect it has on our lives, inhibiting our actions and keeping us lock in our own prison filled with regrets and discontentment. In Mind Snares, we join Alice in her quest to fight the demon that has her trapped in her own mind which is manifested in an abandoned hospital. Your adventure begins in this classic HOPA game that takes me back to the days when you had to use a bit of your brain cells to decipher puzzles, collect inventory items and solve mini-games without the help of a strategy guide or a pet or a companion.

I realized after having played the first hour of the demo that I really do miss the classics. Although visuals are somewhat dated, don’t let the cartoon graphics fool you. The voice-overs are very well acted and background music adds to the intensity of the game. There is enough tension that does build up and enhances the fear factor and makes the game even more interesting. By the end of the demo, I was totally engrossed with Alice and her quest to find the Totems that represent the hindrances in her life and when completed, will return her back to her reality a changed woman.

There are three game modes to choose from and Expert mode offers penalty clicks as well. There is a diary that holds your clues and outlines objectives and a map that does indicate areas of interest and allows for travel. At first glance the game appears to be easy, but the challenge lies in the fact that there really isn’t too much hand holding. Although not too strenuous, you do need on occasion to use the little grey cells to decipher where use your inventory item which is what do prefer. The hidden object games are standard, junk-piled with slight interaction, classic and easy to do. I also came across finding silhouettes of items shown. I enjoyed the mini-games, very well conceptualized and some even require a bit more time and effort to solve.

There are no Blings in this game but there is a list of achievements to earn which does make for some challenge. Game play is pretty straightforward, driven by a very interesting and thought provoking storyline. I applaud the developers for taking us back to the good old days when HOPA games were interesting and fun to play. A winner in standard game category and a must have on my list. I really think the story is interesting and may no doubt shed some light in our own personal journey in the need to conquer our own fears.

Edited on 03/11/2014 at 4:21:53 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 11, 14 9:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mind Snares: Alice's Journey here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mind Snares: Alice's Journey.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Mar 11, 14 9:10 AM
Wow surprise game.Loved it so I used a coupon on it.Was nice to finally have a good SE without problems.I've used so many coupons on games about to expire that I really didn't want..
So was so happy to see this one and somewhat spooky at that.Enjoy fishies I know I am.

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Mar 11, 14 9:15 AM
Thanks Just the Facts and Nilosh. Bought the game after reading your reviews as we enjoy the same type of games. And agree, scary and a great game so far. Can't allow myself to play too much as am currently playing another game and have to restrict myself. But thank you and check this game out other Fishes.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 11, 14 1:45 PM
Morning all. Well, a nice SE for a change. This game has the colors and graphics of a cartoon, but they are very well done. Cut scenes and game play are very good as well. I like the music. It has just the right amount of creepy and moves in tune with the actions of the characters and game play. Voice overs are well done and fit the characters. There is a jump map, but I wasn't too kicked out about how it was set up. Something about the color and layout. However, it did work well, but the game flowed so well that I really didn't have to use it much. There isn't a huge amount of running back and forth, but you do return to the same locations numerous times. A lot of items you find in one area are used in that area as soon as you find them, so you aren't running back and forth for only one item at a time.

HOGs are very simple, fairly clear and items are easy to find. Puzzles are not difficult, but a couple have made me stop and think a bit in order to complete them. There are a number of achievements and there are actually collectibles in this one as well. You need to find what they call "totems," to put on the 4 boulders. Okay, so maybe they aren't considered collectibles, but they don't just jump off the page at you either. You are traveling between dimensions to find these items, so you don't get bored staying in the same area all the time. There are a lot of things to pick up and do along the way, and everything is useful within the game. Hint system is very helpful and fills very quickly...so does the skip button in the puzzles.

This game is not especially challenging, but it is different and fun and a really nice SE. I think all levels of players will find this one to their liking. Definitely worth a game credit today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 11, 14 1:50 PM
I also really liked this game, and, after reading the reviews and completing the demo, I'm getting it as I write. I thought the voice overs were good, the music good, the graphics interesting and all of it pretty involving. If I had one thought it would be why someone who apparently began as a successful entrepreneur is working for someone who treats her like his executive assistant, instead of what she actually is, but then perhaps the game will work out those contradictory character traits. In any case, I liked it, I'm using a PCC on it, and very happy to do so.

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Mar 11, 14 1:54 PM
Based on the reviews, I bought it without trying it!

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Mar 11, 14 2:59 PM
I demoed after such good reviews. What a nice SE for today. Bought in 1/2 thru. Its easy enough for me to play without hints or skips, but hard enough to keep me enjoying the game. I'm one of those players that just love, love, love, puzzles. I am as happy as a clam.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Mar 11, 14 3:49 PM
Hope here's a follow up. Doesn't quite need well other than that I like the game.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 11, 14 4:46 PM
I absolutely love these stand alone games. This one is done especially well. Kudos to the developers. The demo grabbed me from the opening moments. Thank you for your reviews, Nilosh and Just the Facts. When I know I'm going to buy a game, I only shortly demo it just to make sure it runs properly. Absolutely love this one and highly recommend if you like a suspenseful story with a little creepiness

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 11, 14 5:46 PM
Wow! What a great SE game. We all need to "buy into" this game so we can help the "tiger team" who created it! You are Alicia Dahl, a busy corporate executive who is on a "burning platform" concerning her career. Somehow, she has drunk all the "kool-aid" concerning the glory of the corporate world and now is not certain if this life is fulfilling for her. You are helping her to "empower" herself by enabling her to "think outside the box" concerning her career. "Trying to get her ducks in a row" while giving "110%" of her time to the corporate world, she is at a crossroads in her life. Her "personal life" is getting in the way of her "investment" in the company. Should she find a mentor or should she aim into another career direction? She finds a "window of opportunity" to become an entrepreneur (owning a book store - oh yeah - that is such trending business investment nowadays. She sees herself as the next Ms. Borders Books plunging head first into the "river" of competition).

Our story begins when her car goes over a bridge during a business trip and her entering a dream state in which she must confront all the conflicts between the personification of business (a creepy hooded dude) and personal obligations (her husband and daughter). Boy! Freud and Dali would have loved this game. I see 1974 is the date of birth - Geesh! Isn't she a little old to be experiencing a career conflict? I found the game to be more of an adventure game. This game is as good as the CE's we have had - to me, probably better than some recent games. There are three levels of play. The graphics are very well done; however, they are cartoonish. The dream sequences are surrealistic. The HOPA scenes are interactive and the items were easy to locate. The puzzles are relatively easy. There is a map to help guide you through the dream sequences. You must enter several dream sequence locations in order to receive totems to help resolve her conflicts. I was only able to complete the first dream sequence with a "crazy bearded Russian scientist with a terrible accent" who makes her create a mechanical hand in order to receive her first totem.

I rate this game 6 stars out of 5 stars for an SE. Such a great game. It is a little "mind bending," but if you like the surreal - you will like this game!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 12, 14 12:59 PM
and A SE I can spend a credit on!!!!! Great, great game. Love the story, which should resonate with harried, over worked people everywhere. This game grabbed me about 10 minutes in and I realized it wasn't all doom and gloom. Alice (my middle name) IS going to free herself!!!! Using her wits and pluck, which we get to help her with. Great graphics, IHOS, mini games that run from very simple to very hard, an interactive map, and a hint system that works oh so well.
Thank you developers. I'll look for more games from you

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

review based on demo only

[Post New]by sonofstar on Mar 13, 14 6:10 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:It's an okay little SE, but not my kind of game.

I don't care for the slightly "warped graphics, floating islands, dream sequence, portals to another land" games!
I didn't come across anything I haven't seen before, so won't be buying.
There's the car accident. (Well, you talk on the phone, even hands-free, while driving, what do you expect?)
There's the waking up in a seemingly abandoned hospital.
There's the obligatory hair pin to unlock the obligatory locks.
There's yet another cackling black robed figure.
All this and more before the first chapter, so it does seem to give you a lot of play time.

The HOS and PUZZLES are plentiful, but nothing to write home about, as my mother used to say.

Obviously the woman has a life changing experience (hallucination?) after her auto accident, and is no longer afraid to quit the job she hates.

Since I am no longer budgeting nearly as much money for games as I used to, I can't be buying every "okay" game that comes along. It is nice to come across SEs with extras, but it just isn't what I am looking for.

I'm with you. I'm also budgeting my game money and making careful choices. I played the demo last night and find it a no buy. I hated the graphics and found the story disturbing. I didn't like the game play. Just was a no buy for me.

[Post New]by guglhupf77 on Mar 13, 14 6:35 AM
Help!
I am stuck, can not find the bell to the factory.
Could somebody help me?7Thanks

Skrdykat
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Skrdykat on Mar 14, 14 3:47 PM
It's the flower the crying statue is holding...you need something to get it off.

Skrdykat
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Skrdykat on Mar 14, 14 3:50 PM
sunnyglow I was born in the 60s and I'm having a career conflict...it can happen anytime unfortunately...

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Apr 7, 14 6:17 PM
Original and clever thinking went into this game. Such a relief from the same old, cookie cutters we see. A SE which is IMO better then most of the SE versions of CE's coming out. I hope the developers can maintain their creativity in future efforts.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 15, 14 1:35 PM
Wow - how did I miss this game?!? I only found it because it was suggested to me on my GM.

This is a fantastic SE. I stopped playing the demo to see if there was a CE because I thought that would be even better. I'm not even going to finish the demo before getting this game.

It's creepy as heck right from the start and it's getting close to Halloween which is one of my favorite times - I even have my first black cat this Halloween.

Game play is smooth.

I just found the map.

The puzzles (so far) are not difficult. I'm really going to try to solve them all this time. I tend to skip puzzles because I find them to be frustrating. But I'm so "into" the storyline that I really want to solve them.

HOS are not difficult.

The inventory can be locked. (I really like it when this is provided.)

No glitches so far (knock on wood).

I am just so excited about this game so I'm going to get it right now. This is most definitely a Halloween treat!!

Happy gaming and happy Halloween!!

Go to: