Post your REVIEWS for The Others here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Mar 12, 14 12:34 AM
A thread for you to post your reviews of this game!

Edited on 03/12/2014 at 8:45:14 AM PST

Re:Post your REVIEWS for The Others here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 12, 14 2:18 AM
Three Reasons Why...**

BASED ON DEMO

I can’t play this game, let alone recommend it.

FIRST REASON
This game is old. As in not just old-fashioned, as in copyright in 2012 old. And it shows. The style is the HOG-heavy, realistic graphics, rudimentary story, type of older game. There is no widescreen and no aspect correction. The location graphics are flat, and/or fuzzy, the HOP scenes are grainy and static, no animation. Just slightly interactive word lists, and piled up junk. There is no map or journal, and only one puzzle so far. There ARE 3 levels of difficulty though.

SECOND REASON
The game has great voiceovers. A little overacted, but clear and well done. Unfortunately, every little black bar comment is spoken. And every conversation. It is harrowing after only a few minutes. Especially with that somewhat strident, over-precise tone. Normally I love well done voiceovers, this one, I couldn’t wait to shut off. But of course, you lose the special effects sounds that way.

Still, both these reasons are not, on their own, enough to deter me normally.

THIRD & ONLY NECESSARY REASON
As the game progresses, the cursor gets more and more sticky. I found I could only play about 10 minutes at a time before the cursor would.stop.for.a.rest.after.each.click. Totally unplayable. If you want to exit every 10 minutes, it will reset to no lag, but it takes such a short time to freeze up again!

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE IT ANYWAY
Obviously, I don’t like the game. But it is, excepting the above, fairly well done. The story involves some new elements as well as the standard ones. We are investigating the mysterious closure of a toy factory. Don’t remember seeing that before. You must work your way through a labyrinth to find answers – not new, but usually entertaining. What has happened to a whole town of people?

And remember, you may be watching on a smaller monitor than me. You CAN mute the voices. And for all I know, you won’t experience any lag at all on your machine.

So if you like HOPs, and simplicity in design, and you’re lucky, you may like this game.

But I can’t recommend it.

Edited on 03/12/2014 at 2:21:00 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Mar 12, 14 3:37 AM
Well my wife has only played about 20 minutes but it fills our 22" widescreen monitor and we have had no lag at all. It does seem a little dated but that means no collectibles or furry helper and no achievements, all of which are a plus in my book. I'm all for more game less bells and whistles.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 12, 14 4:15 AM
I am LOVING this game! I swear Valdy, you and I have the same taste 99% of the time lol
No map Yes! I have to find my own way. This makes the game play challenging and more fun! I hate maps. Takes all the fun out of the game. No bells and whistles, no distractions. My head is not spinning. No furry animals, no morphing objects and I don't have a million places to go where I then would just give up on the game.

Love it! Keep them coming please. It's been a while since I have been able to enjoy an old fashioned game. Clean and simple. I am even able to keep up with the story line. woo hoo.

I recommend it to those who want to get back to good old days for a change.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 12, 14 4:55 AM
what a awesome game loving every minute of it, I cant believe how much fun this game is,Thx DEV's for all your hard work and time..BIg fish thx for this fun game I love the graphics and sounds..I bought the game I hope others will give this game a chance I recommend this game..

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Mar 12, 14 5:46 AM
I really like this game. The story really is the thing here. Nice sound and great voiceovers. Unobtrusive music. Lot's of fun mini games and pretty straightforward Hop scenes. I'm thinking of getting it but would like to know about how long it is. Could anyone let me know?

Made My Day

[Post New]by themouse020 on Mar 12, 14 5:49 AM
I beta'd this game over 18 months ago, loved it, and despaired of ever seeing its release. When I saw it available this morning, was very excited. Yes, it's old school - thank goodness. I am very sick of slick - can't remember the story for most of them 10 minutes past the end (course that could be that I'm old and my mind is going...). Anyway, THANK YOU Bigfish, for occasionally bringing us good old, carefully crafted and cared about games.

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

Made My Day

[Post New]by swedane on Mar 12, 14 6:08 AM
themouse020 wrote:I beta'd this game over 18 months ago, loved it, and despaired of ever seeing its release. When I saw it available this morning, was very excited. Yes, it's old school - thank goodness. I am very sick of slick - can't remember the story for most of them 10 minutes past the end (course that could be that I'm old and my mind is going...). Anyway, THANK YOU Bigfish, for occasionally bringing us good old, carefully crafted and cared about games.

I'm with you on this on ! But not the "age" part! Interesting story, and thought provoking ending. Enjoyed every aspect of the game and had no issues with lagging.

I recommend this game.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 12, 14 6:39 AM
I too am loving this game. I bought it because this one I want to see the end to. Like others said there is no journal or collectibles which I am glad of. I stopped with the collectibles because it just got irritating to look for them. And having no journal is awesome too as on some games they can really get annoying as the ones that write down every little detail and flashes. I don't mind in the least that Mary talks instead of reading the black bars. Her voice tickles me. The game is spooky which is a big plus in my book.

Story: Pretty much everyone knows that Mary has to find out the reason why the toy factory closed. Of course you have your characters trying to stop you from your investigation.

Graphics: Although I just bought a couple of days ago a brand new monitor, the graphics are clear as a bell even in H0G scenes even on my Acer which I had for over a year. I love the 3D affect.

H0G Scenes: I loved the fact that on the blue words you click on them to find which one matches with the object in the scene. That's a first I seen of this. To me it's not H0G heavy in the least.

Music: Fits perfectly with the game. Not obtrusive in the least.

Mini Games: I only played two and they weren't hard at all just fun.

All in all I give this game a ten for the story, fun factor and spookiness. The way they did that rat scene, yes my sitting down place left the seat a few inches. I had no lagging or cursor problems either. The game ran smooth as silk.

Have fun.

Edited on 03/12/2014 at 6:40:37 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 12, 14 7:33 AM
I'm not understanding the high level of excitement and enthusiasm about this game. No wide screen and even though I'm not too fussy about graphics, this is pretty simple looking stuff. And... what story? I played for half an hour or so and nothing grabbed me. This might have been noteworthy a few years ago but I'm not really too impressed with it at this point in my game playing experience.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 12, 14 8:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for starting the reviews thread pondprowler!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Others here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Others.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Mar 12, 14 9:23 AM
If the cursor doesn't lag for you, then I recommend this game. I won't buy unless this issue is resolved.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Mar 12, 14 9:54 AM
Game worked fine during the demo. I purchased it, and it still works fine. I have full screen, no lagging cursor, no problems. I think this is great little game and thank heavens it's an SE!! It also doesn't seem that outdated! We shouldn't expect all the bells and whistles, I think we've gotten too used to CE's all the time! I agree with those who don't feel the need for a journal, map or handholding! And NO little animal helpers! It is a fine game and I'm enjoying it!

I'm very happy to see SE's being offered again!

Definitely recommend it and give it

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Mar 12, 14 11:07 AM
I liked too this game (only the demo, I can't buy yet!).

Luckily I didn't have any problems with my cursor, only to my taste a lot of HOS.

The story is good, music, voices and, true, is a old game but I liked the graphics.

Definitely I'm going to buy it!

Enjoy ,
M.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 12, 14 12:17 PM
A great game and having fun playing it. Like the pop up scare objects and had no problem with the HOG's and it was different that you could find something else with the blue objects. Didn't find out what is causing all the trouble but guess I will have to get the game in order to find out. Give this SE a big 4 stars..

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Mar 12, 14 12:27 PM
i was pleased to have some one else say "no bells and whistles". i couldnt figure out why i loved it so much. plus too was the fact that i didnt need to constantly use the hint button to figure out what to do or where to go because often times when a game is big enough to need a map ive forgotten what i need the minute i leave that area. probably because i'm using all my brain pixles to find bells and whistles. that being said i want to throw my hat in the ring for loving this nice game.
its got voice overs, other people to interact with, a story line that made me jump, easy hogs, fun mini games and no distractions from side menus popping out, energy running low, journal entry's that have to be read and so on and so forth.
as goldy locks said about the baby's bed; this one was just right.

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Mar 12, 14 2:08 PM
Two good SEs in a row!! Fantastic because I've collected so many coupons.

Absolutely no glitches and fit my screen perfectly. Lots of clever new ideas like the ride in the carnival which I had to go through several times to do everything.

Loved the story and the voice overs were excellent. I'm not a fan of collectibles so that doesn't add value to a CE for me. And getting achievements can be frustrating and divert my attention from the game.

Game took quite a while to finish and kept me glued to my computer. Highly recommend this one!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 12, 14 2:34 PM
Hello all. Well, another SE today. This one is definitely an old school type of game, with no extras at all. The graphics aren't too bad, but a bit fuzzy. Colors are pretty good. Game play is okay, didn't have any problems at all. Story is nothing new and moves a little slowly. The voice overs aren't bad, but the woman's voice becomes quite grating very quickly. The man...tries to change the voice, but doesn't do well, all sound pretty much the same.

There is a lot of running around for one little thing or another. HOGs are extremely easy and items are even easier to find. Hint system fills quickly and isn't really needed in this very simple game. Music is best turned down.

This game is no where near challenging for the experienced gamer, but I think a beginner would like it a lot. It is just a very simple, no brainer kind of game and I sometimes like those myself. However, this one just didn't have anything that made me want to buy it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 12, 14 3:10 PM
I'm happy as a clam at high tide Not one, but two great SE games in one day. Two credits used! This game and and Mind Snares.

The graphics are just great, HOS are just the right amount, voice overs perfect, story fascinating, etc. Bought, with a credit, after just 10 minutes of the trial. I'm hooked!

Thank you, finally, BF and the developers for great games that aren't overblown CEs

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 12, 14 4:19 PM
This is a nicely done game. No, it doesn't have any "bling" included (no map, no journal, nothing), but that is ok. The game ran fine on my computer. You are a reporter who is out to find out what happened to a toy factory that closed down and shut the town down with it. There are many locations to explore, however each location only has one or two things to complete in that area. The hint button is directional if you get lost. There is a lot of back and forth. There are quite a few HOS. Each scene has 3 "mystery" items written in blue. You must click on the blue writing which changes the description of the item to see which item is located in that particular scene. There were jump moments where things popped out of nowhere. I must admit I did jump when she was in the haunted amusement ride. The reporter speaks throughout the entire game. It did not bother me. I'm not sure how long this game is. The demo was fun. Yes, the game has an older feel to it, but I liked it, which surprised me because I usually do NOT like HO heavy games. I suggest you demo and see if it appeals to you. I recommend as long as you do not have technical difficulties with the game.

Go to: