Post your REVIEWS for Dark Dimensions: Somber Song Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Mar 13, 14 12:36 AM
A thread to post your reviews for this game!

Edited on 03/13/2014 at 8:54:37 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Post your REVIEWS for Dark Dimensions: Somber Song Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 13, 14 4:48 AM
Is it me or does this game remind me a little of the classic MCF games? The graphics are spectacular as are the sound and special effects. It certainly is a beautifully put-together game that sent chills up my spine. The intro alone was an indication that this game is rather sophisticated and there is an element of the macabre to the story. Before I go any further, let us begin with the story.

You have been hunting Dark Dimensions all around the country saving souls from its evil grasp. You come across an article in the paper reporting that a mysterious smoke has crept into the city of Seven Oaks and you decide to investigate. The history of Seven Oaks bears a terrible tragedy; many years ago the Music School burns down, claiming the lives of seven of its student. Now that you have arrived, you discover that the smoke has engulfed the city and a young girl is swept up before your eyes. The Dark Dimension has struck again and your adventure begins.

Beautiful graphics and artwork enhanced by a well composed haunting musical score in the background along with great ambient and special effect sounds, all combined to give you an ominous atmosphere making for a very entertaining game play. I found myself totally engrossed from the get go.

There are three game modes to choose from; casual, advance and hardcore. Fortunately there were absolutely no sparkles or glints the advance mode, unfortunately there was no map indicators as well. A tiny request to the developers, please add customized settings next time. Game features include a video diary, a jump map and the SG in located on the upper right side of the screen.

Somber Song is an apt title for the very somber atmosphere created in the game offering us a standard HOPA game. The first thing that struck me was the details given to every scene. I found myself in a house and the constant knocking of the door made me rush to find the key which incidentally was not as easy as I predicted. Adventure game play requires a bit of thought which I absolutely loved. Although the black bar tips does offer you a guiding hand, I found that you also needed to use your own logic to make your way out of some puzzles. Hidden object scenes were spectacular; a series of actions are required to find your inventory item. I loved them and found it refreshing to play. Mini-games I came across during the demo were very well conceptualized and surprisingly, some even offered a fare amount of challenge.

There are collectables which involve finding pieces of musical scores that when combined, offer a short video footage that reveal the story. Being spoilt by many other CE games, I really wished there were more such as morphing objects and a list of achievements. Sadly the developers decided not to add these features which would have made me even happier. I realize that many players don’t really care for these tiny extras; I personally think they add to a game experience and offer a bit more in way of a challenge. Nevertheless, I still was totally engrossed and also notice that the bonus sections offer you a Match 3 game which is accessed upon purchase.
I absolutely love this paticular Dark Dimension story line; although creepy and tragic, it does offer that creep factor which I enjoy immensely. I cannot wait to play this tonight and definitely recommend it to all.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 13, 14 5:33 AM
Musical Delight*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Wonderful game. From the opening moments it is clear that this is going to be a first class sequel to the previously excellent 3 Dark Dimension games. There is drama and eeriness from the outset, and the intro looks so good! My only objection, it’s another freezing cold game! Hey devs, have pity on all those poor souls suffering an insufferable winter! I live in Australia, where we are having a drought, and even I’m sick of the sight of snow!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Gorgeous. The snow makes everything look so clean and bright! And the graphics are excellent. HOPs clear as a bell. What more can I say? The game is visually wonderful. The soundtracks are equally good. The voices in the cinematic cut-scenes are excellent. There are some great special effects (both sound and visual). The music ranges from ominous to scary. And there are a lot of frightening moments.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
A fire in the town’s music school took the lives of 7 children last year. Now, on the anniversary of the tragedy, there appears some mystical and deadly smoke throughout the town. A little girl comes to your hotel room for help, but the smoke grabs her and drags her away, her body flying through the air on seemingly nothing but smoke. Yes, this is the evidence we need to accept that another Dark Dimension has formed, this time around the small, musically inclined town of Seven Oaks.

GAMEPLAY
As with the previous Dark Dimension games, many of the puzzles in this game are too difficult for me, an intermediate player whose weakest point is puzzles. Still, there is more adventure action than puzzles, and so I love the game anyway. There are not a lot of HOPs, and each is a progressive word list. So, you must find an item, use it to find another, and so on until you get the inventory item. Each of the HOP scenes are visited twice, using the same search method.

There is a directional hint, and a video journal (no notes, just replayable videos from the game, some of which have useful information on them). The journal also has a tab for flashbacks. These are music sheet pages (10) that you must collect, in fragments (3 each), and they tell part of the backstory with simple cartoon drawings. The interactive jump map is good, and tells you where action is required. There are 3 levels of difficulty.

CE BLING!
The bling! doesn’t overly impress me so far. Just the ‘flashbacks’ and a few wallpapers and concept art. Music tracks (7) of course. There is also “Developer’s Diary” which includes 50 shots of the team working on the game. There is also a Match 3 game with 10 levels, all of which can only be unlocked by playing the bonus chapter. That may be interesting.

COMBINED IMPACT
Excellent game. I played the beta for this and it is the first beta I have played where I had nothing to suggest for improvements. (Tough old bird, aren’t I?) It is really beautiful as well as fun.

I recommend this game!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Mar 13, 14 5:41 AM
This is an absolutely gorgeous game almost in the style of Mystery trackers.
I love the snowy scenes which makes it so crispy, clean looking.
I felt such a rush when someone was knocking at the door and I could not find the key fast enough. I love that. You almost live in the story.

Nilosh & JustTheFacts have said it all already.
I only wish there were some kind of collectables, or morphs. Yes, I know, I'm a collectable junkie. But that's fine. I do like the story and enjoy playing this game.
So now I need to buy it to find out what really happened.
After finishing the game there is a match 3 game you can access. Can't wait for that.

This is a truly beautiful game, good map, excellent graphics

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 13, 14 8:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for getting the reviews thread going pondprowler!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Dimensions: Somber Song Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Dimensions: Somber Song Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 13, 14 12:49 PM
Thank you Nilosh and Just the Facts for the excellent reviews. Love the game. Love this developer. I feel this is the best so far in the Dark Dimensions series. I was immediately puled in to the story. Not quite sure if the extras are enough to warrant a CE, however the game is so well done and the bonus of "the making of the game" is awesome. Somehow, even being sick and tired of the winter we've had, I'm pulled into games with snow I highly recommend this one. Enjoy

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 13, 14 1:41 PM
Hello all. Another addition to the Dark Dimensions series. This is one of the better story lines I have seen in a very long time. Drew me in almost from the very beginning. Graphics and game play are extremely well done, no problems at all. Colors are bright and clear. I even liked the music, which changes with the action in the game, with the just the right amount of urgency and spooky. Sound FX and voice overs are very well done.

Although the SG only shows 2 chapters, the jump map shows a lot of areas to be visited, so it seems to be quite a long game. I have two of the first 3 DD games and this one might take over as my favorite over "Fog." Jump map is quite helpful, as you return to the same locations multiple times and repeat the HOGs as well. HOGs are well done, interactive, clean and clear and items not too difficult to find. Puzzles weren't bad, some not as easy as most and took some time and thought to complete. Hint system is also very helpful, but takes a while to recharge, as does the skip button.

The black cloud, or ghost/spirit/bad guy is annoying and not necessary in most areas, but it is there. The only collectibles I found were sheets of music, which were not difficult to find either. Although I found this to be a very nice story and an excellent game, it still needed a little more in the way of challenges and/or collectibles, e.g. morphing objects or something to make it a little more exciting. That being said, I am going to purchase this game, as I have the need to see where it is going. I think this game would appeal to all levels of players and especially those who find "creepy" to be a bit of fun. This game has it. Here I go, adding another CE to my long list of CE games...okay, I have a long list of SE games too.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 13, 14 2:18 PM
Oh my! Yesterday, we had two great SE games, now this. This is a spectacular game, full of all the rich details a great CE should have. I'm enthralled, and will have to wait to dive in and stay. I need to finish The Others!
I have a list of "great" games, the games that stay with me long after I've finished them. Dire Grove, Soaring City, among just a few. This looks like it's going to make that list.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 13, 14 4:16 PM
Somber Not The Same Old Song

Setting: After a recent tragedy, a fire at a music school where several children were killed, a young girl who was the lone survivor of the fire comes running to you to help her escape the dark cloud pursuing her.

What stands out in this game is the hidden object scenes. They are cleverly done in a manner where you progressively find one object and perform an action in order to reveal another. While we have seen these before, the ones in this game are particularly well done - you actually must think to complete them. The same cannot be said for the puzzles which are far easier and require little thought.

The drawing is nicely depicting a not-so-small town in the winter season. And it takes place in modern times (the fire is said to have occurred in 2011). Nevertheless, the artists could not resist drawing some ancient looking keys (sigh). But the keys do turn without the extra click, so that is a plus. Another nice touch is (spoiler alert):
the cat you find under your car you later see on a bulletin board posted as a Lost Kitty, named "Mr. Snuggles". Cute.

I hate to nitpick (or do I?), but during the demo, the teacher's name is spelled both as Mayer and Mayers in various places. A little quality control please.

There are collectible sheets of music, or rather fragments of sheets. These required several clicks to collect, which became a little annoying after the first few. They are not really hidden either so not much of a challenge to find.

I found the demo interesting to play until the end, mostly due to the hidden object scenes, although I hope the rest of the game is not just following around after a black cloud of smoke. That was starting to get old.

Definitely a game that could get you "fired up."

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 13, 14 5:31 PM
Unfortunately for me, I lived in North Dakota for a little over 2 years when I was a child, and I can say two things about it: it's not exotic and it's flat. I mean the topography - N. Dak. is one of the Great Plains states, and between the effects of some kind of inland sea from millions of years ago and glaciation, this state is flat, very flat. A lot of it is prairie. There are no majestic mountains of any kind; in fact, the highest part of the state is something over 900' -- which in another area of the U.S. I lived in, the Sierra foothills in California, qualifies it for large hill status. So the entire environment, which by the way, is lovely to look at, is nonetheless, entirely bogus. Sadly. The town, once you're in it, could, kind of, be in some town somewhere in the mid-West, but the town shown on the TV at the beginning had British architecture and general medieval architecture as well, all of which makes me wonder why oh why set this story, which is interesting and engaging, in North Dakota? One of the more boring states in the Union. Oh well. I liked the game, and I've never played this series before for some reason. It certainly kept my interest, but the repetitive nature of the HOP's, despite their being progressive and unusual, the lack of interesting collectibles/morphing objects, and the kind of by number game play, (I didn't crack the SG once during the demo) makes me think that for me, at least, this is an SE, that is if I can swallow the entirely unreal N. Dak. landscape. For people who don't mind geography gone totally awry, this is probably going to be a really good game, but for me no buy, at least at present.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 13, 14 5:35 PM
As usual, I disagree with others on this site about this game. To me, this is a nice and easy but not terribly exciting game. Yawn! Ho hum! Been there and done that! This game is neither mentally challenging nor innovative, but it is an okay game. It is a continuation in a series of games which deal with "dark" themes. There was a fire at a music conservatory killing many students. A student named Lydia managed to escape and there is a "black smoke" which has kidnapped her. You, as the detective, are trying to locate her and defeat the "black smoke."

There are three levels of play. I am still awaiting more games from those devs who are creative enough to allow us the option to customize our games! I agree with others that the HOP scenes are the best part of the game and truly awesome. The HOP scenes are interactive. You must complete a series of activities to move through the inventory list. However, I am not an enthusiast for hidden object scenes. Again, I am still awaiting more from those devs who provide other types of games to replace the HOP scenes. The graphics are okay - I wasn't wowed as others on this site and certainly did not think they were that spectacular. The puzzles are very easy. I think my two cats working together could solve them in about five minutes. It will take me longer since I am working by myself . This is probably the shortest review I have ever given. Why? Nothing really excites me about this game. This is generic gaming at its best (Can something generic have a best category? All you deep "thinkers" out there let me know, will you?) I rate this game 3+ stars out of 5 stars for a CE. I will await (but not anxiously) the SE version.

Nancy Susan - I would have to agree with you. The only thing worse than living in the Siberia of the Midwest - aka Ohio, would be living in North Dakota. That state gives a whole new meaning to "Snow Belt." Well,at least it is a "booming" economy for the petroleum industry if you can tolerate the cold.

Edited on 03/13/2014 at 6:02:49 PM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Mar 13, 14 6:56 PM
While I have not yet purchased the game, I can say from the demo that I LOVE the challenge of the HOS! Having to figure out each part in order to collect the item. Although don't get me wrong, I love the typical HOS as well. The only thing that I think would make it better is if there were some sort of collectibles. I always love looking for those. In this game all you do is collect pieces of music for some unknown reason. Would love to have morphing objects or something similar. I was considering purchasing the game until I read the thread on the technical issues. Lots of people said the game would not operate after purchase. I think I'll wait a while for another CE sale, and see if they can figure out those issues.

katkarman
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by katkarman on Mar 13, 14 8:27 PM
I literally been playing this game all evening, I just finished and it was fun. I also like the fact that there were so many locations. This is the way I like my hidden object games and story line was so cool and graphics were great. I bought the bundle deal , but I already had the wax beauty DD. So I have fog and ash to play now lol hours of fun and activity and the HOS's are very interactive

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 14, 14 3:18 AM
I can't really add much to the excellent and very thorough reviews posted by others. I've only tried the demo and it did freeze once but allowed me to continue after that one minor hiccup!

Excellent graphics, enjoyably interactive HOS and an interesting story are enough for me to buy this game. Like others I did miss morphing objects or something a little more exciting to find than pieces of sheet music. This game isn't overly challenging but there was just something about it I really liked.

My main criticism is the title. I wonder why the developer chose to use the American spelling of sombre. Sorry but to me (from the UK) it just looks like a spelling error! Will it stop me buying this game? Not in the least

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Mar 14, 14 9:30 AM
Lovely game, but it's a no-buy for me. The strategy guide/info button is not available in every scene, and I ran into trouble with a hidden object scene and a cash register. I simply could not figure out how to enter .10 and .15 and get .25 instead of 10.15. The OK button did NOT help, and there was no plus button. And, of course, no option to skip. It was a moment when a strategy guide would have been quite helpful..except, of course, that it was not available in that scene or in any other scene that I went to.

A collector's edition without a strategy guide that is available in every scene is just an expensive standard edition. Very disappointed.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Mar 14, 14 3:23 PM
The constant 5 star ratings for mediocre, trite, same old, same old games with awful graphics/colors, cartoon characters & so so music/sound effects is becoming most annoying & frustrating.
There is nothing eerie/spooky/exceptional or haunting about this game. I found myself bored & yawning after only a short time of playing this game.
There was the usual jump map & the HOG's were interactive. The couple of mini-games I played were not that challenging. Didn't get too the Match 3 option which was fine with me as I think it is a silly game with no rhyme or reason. It seems like a game for 4 yr olds & not players who want a real challenge.
Cannot fathom why anyone would even remotely consider this a 5 star game.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Mar 15, 14 11:05 AM
nontechiegrannie wrote:The constant 5 star ratings for mediocre, trite, same old, same old games with awful graphics/colors, cartoon characters & so so music/sound effects is becoming most annoying & frustrating.
There is nothing eerie/spooky/exceptional or haunting about this game. I found myself bored & yawning after only a short time of playing this game.
There was the usual jump map & the HOG's were interactive. The couple of mini-games I played were not that challenging. Didn't get too the Match 3 option which was fine with me as I think it is a silly game with no rhyme or reason. It seems like a game for 4 yr olds & not players who want a real challenge.

OMG!! I am a 'non techie grannie' and I loved it! The artwork alone was worth the price of admission! I own literally hundreds of HOGS and this is in the top 5% for me. Hope your days get happier.

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by seeme278 on Mar 16, 14 9:22 AM
Unfortunately, there are too many GLITCHES. While I didn't "freeze" the way many other fishies seem to have done, I did have a problem during the demo in a puzzle with one of the buttons not being a "hot" button. The guide instructed me to begin the puzzle with the "G" button, but that button did nothing. I came out of the game to save my demo minutes and checked the forum and posted a request for help. When I went back into the game, the "G" button was now a "hot" button and the puzzle could be solved. I really hate when I have to go to the guide or change my difficulty level only to find out it was the game and not me. So for me this is a no buy. Really a shame, because I like the game. Different type of HOS puzzles, not bogged down with morphs and collectibles and logical use of materials and tools you find along the way. Also, short cut scenes and not too chatty. I'll wait and see if BFG posts a corrected version before investing.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 16, 14 3:39 PM
nontechiegrannie wrote:The constant 5 star ratings for mediocre, trite, same old, same old games with awful graphics/colors, cartoon characters & so so music/sound effects is becoming most annoying & frustrating.

I'm with you, nontechiegrannie. I see this game as a repeat of SO many others and the theme was not spooky whatsoever, and the only reason it's at all 'creepy' [IMHO] is the fact that anyone enjoys playing a "game" with the main content/theme is that of children dying in a fire. Really!? This would not have been 'ok' even a few years ago if my memory serves me!

As mentioned in my review... it also annoyed me that the main character wandered around w/o proper winter clothing [as she mentioned] and left doors/windows open. I live in the North East and not even in an emergency would we do that!

So, overall, it was just poorly scripted. The graphics, yes, they were nice yet duplicate of every other game we play and SO ridiculous with the black foggy thingy chasing people... silly. Again, yes I know it's "just a game", yet I believe the storyline beginning with children dying in a fire is in very poor taste to say the LEAST. They will use any cheap thrill they can think of now to hook people to buy these churned out games.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Mar 16, 14 5:42 PM
This is a perfect example of a game that should not be given excellent reviews until the entire game has been played. I was finally able to complete the game on my third profile with freezing on my first two profiles. I was quite impressed with my demo. Not so much after playing the entire game. The developers went to sleep about half way through the game. The technical glitches were the least of it. I have never witnessed a game with such a poor story line. It was frankly disgusting. I didn't even bother with the bonus chapter because there was no way to explain away the ridiculous ending of the regular game. I am still going to ask for a refund due to the fact that I could not use the SG. Every time I tried, my game froze. Ended up skipping many puzzles because I could not check them in SG. If the story had not become so ridiculous, I might have been able to overlook that inconvenience. Seriously cannot believe this was a CE. I'm actually glad the Technical situations are such that I can ask for a refund. Otherwise I would have felt totally scammed.

Go to: