WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

For the older crowd…?

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 14, 14 1:25 AM
Slight SPOILER ahead:

Did anyone notice in one of the HOPs (which I actually enjoyed!) you had to re-spool the pulled out tape in a cassette with a pencil!!! I doubt anyone under 40 will have any idea how to do that!! "I'm supposed to do what to a what with a pencil??!!"" Guess we know who the target audience is for these games!

crypsynight
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Re:For the older crowd…?

[Post New]by crypsynight on Mar 14, 14 3:18 AM
Same thing crossed my mind when i did it

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Mar 14, 14 6:22 AM

this sounds wonderful !!! (had to fix tapes this way this when my Voiceover demo tape went whacko!!) cannot wait to do this - again !!! LOL!!! memories....

as part of the demographics this is targeting, however, need to wait for pension to facilitate a purchase !!! aaarrgh !!!

BUT ... all we really need to be happy is something to look forward to !! so ... am beside myself with happy !!!

thanks for the humourous heads up !!!! any more ???? please !!!

lnt

ETA: another reason why love these devs !!! impish humour !!

Edited on 03/14/2014 at 6:24:13 AM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 14, 14 6:28 PM
Ok. Ok. Generalizations bad. Got it. Sorry that you couldn't see my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Mar 15, 14 2:41 AM
Well, I saw it WilJul and I found your comment funny and smart, actually.

I think we all know how well-informed about things of the past most young people of today are; after all, this is the internet era. But when I see a humorous, well-intentioned comment concerning an obviously not of great importance detail in a game, I really don't care troubling myself with trifles. It spoils the fun.

I believe that sometimes we really need to focus on the "tree". It depends on the importance of an issue or a situation. But focusing on the "tree" all the time, without exception, you certainly are missing the "forest".

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Mar 15, 14 3:58 AM
hem.....ar....ahem....ahem..
well Wiljul.....this ol' lady thanks you for the spoiler.....
been so long since I even seen a cassette tape......or one of them....huuge reel to reel tapes, I would have forgotten to use the pencil.
heh heh heh....
not that I miss (in the least) those cassettes getting eaten by the player and turned into miles of kinked up mess.......good luck rewinding some of them ever again....
oooh....and sometimes they would fold and the song would partially transfer from one side to another.

I just have one question.
What is this thing "Pencil" you speak of?

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Mar 15, 14 6:25 AM

SNAP!!! PERFECT !!! LOL!!!

well said, oh furred one !!

you were lead on !!!! sorry, right on !!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 15, 14 10:25 PM
Thanks, tammytheo!!! I kinda felt that way too! But it's all good! We moms are all proud of our children!

And ROFLMAO, tookat!!

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Mar 16, 14 12:40 PM
I've seen worse: the new Fate's Carnival (again, *very slight spoiler*) you have to use an old rotary style telephone. The detective even makes a comment about 'remembering how to use one'.

And then the phone dial rotates backwards... :facepalm:

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 16, 14 8:31 PM
Thanks, Mouser I knew that phone was rotating the wrong way - it just felt soooo weird, lol. But it was nice to see one again

Jen

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Mar 18, 14 10:33 AM
Once I was a little shocked when a game included instructions on how to use a rotary phone and made it into a mini-game kind of a thing. I wish I could remember the name of the game. Something about a lawyer and a map and a shaman who was after the map.

Oh, and two years ago or so I had to get cassette tapes for a project. I asked the girl at the store where they were, and she had no idea what I was talking about! She looked to be about 18 or so. I'm not that much older than her, but it's hard to think that some people grew up without cassettes.

chevyqueen
Herring
Herring
303 Posts

[Post New]by chevyqueen on Mar 31, 14 7:09 AM
LOL My husband and I were watching a movie the other day. The rock hit "Juke Box Hero", was in one of the scenes. LOL My husband said, "I didn't think that song was that old!" Wow! This makes me feel old. I loved my stack of 45s. For those who do not know what 45s are they are single editions of records, not the albums.

[Post New]by Spirit_of_Auron on Apr 7, 14 12:19 PM
Missed this prior, but I'm only 28 and even I knew how to respool a cassette tape, up until the late 90's they were still prevalent options for music.

I realize this was tongue in cheek humor, but I just thought i'd point that out.

Go to: