Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Open floor plan house issues

[Post New]by Valkara on Mar 14, 14 10:34 AM
So... I put up the 4 cupboards and microwave in the kitchen, and some time later I get told to put TWO paintings on the kitchen wall.

Hello, game designers... you cannot do this, because you have only 1 kitchen wall to work with (plus a tiny little bit of a dividing wall between kitchen and living room) - and it's a short wall. There is No. Way. to have 4 cupboards and 2 paintings on the kitchen walls, even getting rid of the microwave. It is IMPOSSIBLE.

So I moved one cupboard to the tiny dividing wall, and now it can't be opened because it's blocked by another cupboard (why can't we move these things?). Another cupboard went into the sunroom, and so did the microwave.

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Re:Open floor plan house issues

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Mar 14, 14 10:40 PM
Valkara, you can work around this, as long as you do one task at a time.
1--Move the cabinets to another wall. it doesn't even have to be in the kitchen. This is temporary. (You've already gotten the credit for the cabinets. If they have not been delivered, wait for them to be delivered, and then move them.)
2--Hang your 2 pictures. If you don't think you want to have pictures in the kitchen, then pick two that you can use elsewhere--or pick the 2 cheapest ones you can, and sell them when the task is completed. You just need to have them delivered to the kitchen. Once they are counted as a completed task, you can move them elsewhere, put them into storage, or sell them. (I'd recommend moving them, so you can keep earning value. When your house is done or nearly done, you can remove them--or send them to storage to use in another house.) Then, you can move your wall cabinets back where you want them. Alternatively, if you don't care to keep wall cabinets, you can sell them or store them or use them elsewhere. (I hung 2 in the bathroom, just for the value added.)
3--Get creative with cabinetry. I have kitchen counters running across the space where a wall would be, and only put up the 3 wall cabinets the task required. One of them is over the fridge! (Yes, you can do that. To do that, move the fridge out a bit, then place the wall cabinet. When it is delivered, move the fridge back into place.) That mean only two cabinets take up more wall space.
4--You can hang a picture anywhere--even behind furniture. If you want it to stay and be functional, pick a horizontal picture. It will be seen above most furniture.

As I noted in the first post in "Strategy", the primary goal is to meet all the tasks and get all the rewards--then keep building value. At first, don't worry about how it looks. Buy cheap, and only upgrade as you have to, until you have enough money to spend. Once you have done all the tasks, concentrate on building value. Eventually you will have enough money to replace whatever you want to replace.

The open plan does has limitations, vis-a-vis wall space--but it also can be fun to use in unconventional ways.You can also use bookcases as room dividers.ALSO: Just because the space is designated "dining room" doesn't mean it can't be re-purposed AFTER the required tasks are done. Once a task is counted, you can move or change the furniture, etc.(I'm thinking of making the open "dining room" into a performance venue, full of musical instruments.)

Edited on 03/14/2014 at 10:42:08 PM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Mar 15, 14 7:45 PM
Okay, I'll try some of that. I just found out that I can put the tall 2-star black fridge in front of one of the paintings, so at least I don't need to look at the hideous thing. And to minimize the pacing, I'm putting furniture in front of the doors. I just started building the master bathroom, so the baby should show up sometime tomorrow.

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Mar 15, 14 10:04 PM
Wall that sucker up! LOL!

Go to: