Post your REVIEWS for Emberwing: Lost Legacy Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Mar 15, 14 12:36 AM
A thread to post your reviews for this game!

Edited on 03/15/2014 at 9:03:49 AM PST

Re: Post your REVIEWS for Emberwing: Lost Legacy Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 15, 14 1:45 AM
Marvellous Fantasy Puzzle Adventure*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a truly gorgeous game to look at from the first moments. But that is hardly surprising, if you know the Awakening series, made by the same developer. The location scenes are “realistic” fantasy in style, while the close ups have a more ‘painterly’ look about them. Both are beautiful.

The cut-scenes are wonderful, cinematic and engrossing. And I didn’t even mind that there were a lot of them early up, giving us a lot of back story via interaction with other characters. All of whom spoke well. For those of you who’d rather skip these interactions, there is a brief summary of the conversation that flashes up instead. Fabulous idea! Another subtle touch I liked was having the centre of the cursor change colour, rather than a complete change of cursor, to indicate something of interest.

From the beginning sound is an integral part of the atmosphere. It is so sweet in the opening sequences, and the ambient noises are lovely. Then it is exciting and dramatic in the next series of cut-scenes, somehow turning the same music ominous.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Our son has always been fascinated by stories of dragons, but until now, they’ve never shown any interest in him, and stayed safely in their story books *grin*. Now one has stolen the boy and is taking heaven knows where, and you are desperate to follow. That is immediately fraught with difficulty. From the fire he started in your home, to the long drop down from the balcony, there are obstacles both magical and mundane in your way.

You meet an uncertain ally, the Dark Elf Eridan, who is also hunting the dragon, and you take up his offer of help. Together, you must find out what the dragon wants with your son, rescue him and defeat the dragon, who is a threat to the whole Dark Elvin kingdom and other kind who live in the Dark Forest.

GAMEPLAY
There are NO STANDARD HOPs in this game – at least none in the demo. There is one mini-game where you must find a multiple number of a single item, spread across a half a dozen different paintings on the wall. So far, that’s it.

ETA: As I have been reminded by more awake fishies, there is at least one standard wordlist HOP in this game - it is right at the very beginning!

The puzzles so far have been interesting and different, and not so difficult I couldn’t figure them out with enough time. Some are quite charming. There is a diorama I enjoyed in part because it is so quirky. In adventure terms, it had its tricky moments, but overall, I did not find it overly difficult.

Getting around and finding the tools you need is helped by an excellent map that gives you your current objective as well as where tasks are immediately available, at least, on the lowest of the three levels of difficulty. There is no journal. The hint is directional.

And there is no animal companion or special gadget to use. Of course, there is Eridan. He might be... entertaining. I finished the demo in about 45 minutes, and it is 2 chapters of an 8 chapter main game.

CE BLING!
The gallery items include wallpapers (14) of the kind where some effort has been made to make these interesting. I feel I represent a minority of one here. I like wallpapers, and will be swayed by good ones, like these, into going with a CE, if I am kinda leaning that way. Concept art (29), cut scenes, and music (12) – good sign for variety in the sound!

The achievements include collectibles – 50 gold medallions. Both performance and story based awards.

*SPOILER ALERT* There is also an achievement for spotting the company logo.
*END ALERT*

COMBINED IMPACT
I am impressed. This is shaping up to be a really nice story, a bit different from the rest. And likewise, while this is another gorgeous fantasy game, it is again a bit different from all the others, being a bit darker and being basically a puzzle game.

Even though, as I said, I love my HOPs, I will be giving this one a go.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 03/15/2014 at 4:07:36 AM PST

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Mar 15, 14 1:57 AM
No interactive jump map? Hopefully I am just not seeing it. Otherwise for a CE this seems remiss.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Mar 15, 14 2:03 AM
leacraw wrote:No interactive jump map? Hopefully I am just not seeing it. Otherwise for a CE this seems remiss.

Yes, leacraw, there is a jump map!
You just may not have "received" it yet, as you play a little of the game before getting it!

BK

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Mar 15, 14 2:25 AM
BearKat wrote:
leacraw wrote:No interactive jump map? Hopefully I am just not seeing it. Otherwise for a CE this seems remiss.

Yes, leacraw, there is a jump map!
You just may not have "received" it yet, as you play a little of the game before getting it!

BK

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Mar 15, 14 3:01 AM
Great review as always JustTheFacts. Have to agree, after playing for 5 minutes, I'm just off to buy it - specially as there is an offer on CE's today.

Just one small thing - There are HOPS in the game for those who wouldn't want to play this game if there weren't any. First one is in the boy's bedroom when you are asked to repair his toy at the desk. Haven't got far enough to find others yet.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 15, 14 3:07 AM
OMG! You're right! I completely forgot about that one - too early in the game, my mind had already blanked out that bit lol.

And I have played it twice in the last week (beta) and forgotten both times!

Into the dunce's corner for me!

Thanks for letting me and everyone else know!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 15, 14 4:46 AM
At a time when dragons were known to be extinct, a very large fire-breathing one suddenly turns up at your doorstep and snatches your young son away and before you can say J.R.R. Tolkien was here, you find yourself caught up in an adventure deep inside the unexplored Dark Forest where elves and other magical creatures join in the hunt. Friend or foe? Who are you to trust? That is for you to find out in this very beautiful story of Emberwing, Lost Legacy.

A familiar group of developers who are known to deliver top-notched games always designed with a flare for fantasy and adventure that suit all age categories. Although I was a bit disappointed with the overall graphics and visuals, I still did enjoy the game play. There are three game modes to choose from and unless you choose casual, you will not get the sparkles and areas that require actions will not show up on your map. I really do wish that developers would add on the customize settings to make life easier for all of us. Graphics are not outstanding, at times, they appear some what blurred and rough or too one dimensional and there is a lack of realism that just makes the game look a bit dated. The cut scenes and animations are not as sophisticated as some of the newer games. There are no mouth movements to our characters and voice-overs are a bit forced at times. I did however like the artwork and some of the scenes are beautifully drawn, reminding me of the artwork from my old story books I use to own as a child. Game features include a map that allows for travel and you have your SG at the bottom of the inventory.

A fantasy story that is filled with a variety of delightful characters and trials and tasks that have you jumping back and forth so be prepared to do a lot of backtracking. Sadly the map was totally useless because the scenes were too small I found myself trekking through various scenes trying to remember where I needed to uses a paticular inventory item. I really can’t complain since that is part of the adventure and I do love to solve these puzzles. Hidden object scenes vary, some are your standard list of items with interactions involved like opening up drawers, and some were finding twelve of the same objects. Mini-games were plenty but not very challenging. The real challenge was having a good memory as there is no journal or diary to aid in your quest.

There are collectables, round amulets that appear in almost every scene and sometimes glitter so they are easy to spot. There is a list of achievements to earn as well. The look of the game did not overly impress me but I did find the game play interesting and at times, a challenge to my memory skills. I also found the story interesting and enjoyed the meeting up with several fantastical characters. Obviously there is a mystery that surrounds your son and it will be up to us to decipher it. I am actually on the fence about immediately purchasing this game; however as there is a sale on today, I can either take advantage of it or wait for the standard edition. It really depends if you enjoy fantasy fiction and are a fan of the Tolkein-like world of elves, dragons and wizards.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 15, 14 8:05 AM
I just want to thank Nilosh and Just the Facts for their consistent, in-depth and smart reviews of the games -- in the past I always also looked for Valdy and a few others as well before I demoed games. My reviews are never as detailed and I'm glad some people can do this. I own most of this developer's games that have come out since joining BFG in 2010, and generally like the games a lot. I almost passed up on checking this one out though, solely due to its being yet another child is abducted/gone missing whatever story, but due to the reviews did play the demo and with the help of the sale have bought it. I'm not a HOP fan, and this is a good game for me -- even the mini-games that might have given me some trouble were mostly solvable without the SG. Because I know this developer I didn't play the demo on casual, but on middle difficulty, and the hint button, which is also directional, recharges in 45 secs., which are counted down for you. I really liked the somewhat magical scenery, and the voice overs had actual character to them, although disconcertingly, you rarely hear the main character. There is the possibility of betrayal along the upcoming journey (very much this dev.), and what looks like an interesting twist (at least it's suggested), but that's only in the demo, so we'll see. I suspect a lot of people are going to like this game.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 15, 14 9:03 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Emberwing: Lost Legacy Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Emberwing: Lost Legacy Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Mar 15, 14 9:50 AM
Hi ,

First, thank you BF for the nice sale , this allowed me to buy the last 2 CEs!!!

I too tested Emberwing, and I loved it!!!

Now off to play it ,
M.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 15, 14 10:47 AM
Another "hot breathtaking" adventure game by the Boomers. This is a beautiful Tolkienesque game where you are immersed in a magical kingdom full of elves and dragons. I was "enamoured" (I love old English spellings - goes with the game don't "ya" think?) with the game since it is abound with dragons of all sorts - toys, nutcrackers, and very large fire breathing ones. I always thought it be awesome to adopt a cute little "FIRe" ball as a pet. Do you think they cough up "FIRe" balls like cats cough up fur balls? Probably wouldn't get along with my two cats anyway. However, it would be a nice alternative to matches in lighting the fireplace.

In this game you are a "mom to the rescue" whose son has been kidnapped by a dragon. You enter the Kingdom of Dark Elves in search of him. For those looking for a map, you will receive a map for the game after you enter the forest. The map is given to you by Eridan, an elf. To know why the dragon has kidnapped your son, you must revive the spirit of King Horvath, an elven king.

There are three levels of play and again I make my case that devs should provide a "customized" version. Yes, everyone - there are HOP scenes in this game which are very awesome (and I usually hate HOP scenes). I found the first one in the first scene of the game and they are interactive. Usually I like an alternative game offered to the HOP scenes. However, that option doesn't seem necessary here. The HOP scenes are quite unusual and more puzzle oriented. I particularly enjoyed the HOP scene in which you must search for gems. Not only is there interaction with the figures; there is also a puzzle to solve within this HOP scene. The collectibles are medals which I found easy to locate. The puzzles I have found are delightful and one in particular I found slightly difficult. The graphics are well-done as always with this dev. I rate this game 5 stars out of 5 stars and will definitely purchase this game. Nice work Boomers!

Edited on 03/15/2014 at 10:48:38 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 15, 14 11:06 AM
Do you like dragons? Graphics are very well done, very clear, bright colors. Game play was good, but a bit slow, still had no problems with play. Music was soothing and occasionally changed with what was happening in the game at the time. Voice overs were nice, but only one sided. Whoever the characters were talking to, didn't seem to want to talk back...at least not out loud. There is no journal, which is unusual. About the only time I ever use one is if it contains clues to progress within the game, otherwise I don't pay attention anyway.

There is a jump map, which is okay. There are multiple areas noted as being "available" item areas open at the same time, which can be confusing. If you don't remember where you needed to use an item, you will spend some time trying to figure out which area it was in...frustrating. I didn't feel that the SG was very well set up either. The written instructions were not clear, e.g., walk down and place the feathers...where, which area...should read walk down twice, turn right etc. If it weren't for the nice pictures as a guidance, you would have been clicking all day looking for the correct place. There were a few instructions that were very clear, but mostly not. Hint system was far more helpful, which made the SG not really necessary, but it refilled rather slowly.

HOGs were fun, clean and clear and items were not difficult to find, and some did make you use your reasoning skills. Puzzles were the usual, not difficult, but some did take a little thought to figure out. You could not access the SG for any guidance while in the HOG or any of the puzzles. Even with the voice overs, this game was very quiet and had very few sound FX. There are some achievements and you collect medals, which are very easy to find.

Because of the SG and lack of real help in the jump map, I found myself getting more and more frustrated and bored with the game. This could have been a very nice game and it may pick up as it progresses, but I was very disappointed and could not get into it. I did not find this game a challenge at all, but it would be a good one for a beginner. As I have said many times, I often change my mind when I replay the SE version and buy that one instead, but the CE just didn't make me want to run out and buy it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may really like this one. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 15, 14 11:21 AM

So THAT"S What An Emberwing Is?

Your son (why, oh why did you name him Tevin?) has been snatched away by a fire-breathing dragon and is being kept in the Dark Forest, where the elves live apart from humans. As his mother you must rescue him, and you have the help of one of the elves, Eridan. You also find out that (gasp!) Tevin is an Emberwing.

Dragons, elves and a forest, you can imagine the rest: spirits, oracles, prophecies, battles and treasure. Really, the whole story impressed me as kind of simplistic, almost childish.

Nevertheless, the production standards are fairly high, with the drawing, cut scenes, voices and music working very much in harmony. The artwork style is a storybook style with saturated greens and purples - lots of purple.

The game play is moslty puzzle-based with only a few hidden object scenes. The puzzles are not too tricky and fit the flavor of the game nicely. There are many scenes that are active at the same time - and there is no journal. Therefore, unless you have a really good memory, you may want to take notes or keep a journal in order to keep track of what can be used where.

There are collectible symbols and the usual array of extras (Strategy Guide and Epliogue chapter) as well as pseudo-extras (wallpapers, music, concept art).

This story never "took wing" for me but, given the good production values and wide appeal of this type of story, this game will no doubt be a fairly popular one. Not popular enough to make "Tevin" a common name, though.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 15, 14 11:32 AM
Guess I must be one of the minority as don't really like the game. Maybe because I like more HOG's and this one don't have them, so far I only had the one. The developer isn't one of my favorites either so that might be another reason. Have to use the hints a lot and the map doesn't help much. Story don't grab me either so won't be a buy for me.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 15, 14 1:10 PM
First, a big TY to Just the Facts and Nilosh for the thorough and informative reviews. This is a beautiful game done in that Boomzap style. Bright, fairy tale-like colors, elves, dragons, etc. You are off to save your son who was taken by a dragon and now you must go into the dark forest to find him. This game is puzzle and adventure oriented which I enjoy. You do have a map, although I believe it is quite lacking if you are relying on it to get around. No journal that I saw. There are achievements and collectibles. A very Tolkien-esque game if you enjoy that type of thing. I do give the game 5 stars because it is an impeccably done game. However, it is not for me. I lost interest after 10 minutes, but played the entire demo to see if it somehow captured me. I will retry as an SE as sometimes my game likes change. Enjoy )

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Emberwing: Lost Legacy Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 15, 14 1:46 PM
As per usual I loved this game and have spent my whole day playing it. I am not going to be writing a long reveiw as both Just The Facts and Nilosh have already done so.

However @Just The Facts there are at least 5 or 6 HOS in the main game, and I haven't played the Epilogue yet. All are interactive, some require 1 move to get the object and others 4/5, and they get harder as the game progresses which I really like.

Pet Peeve and it is not only associated with this game but I will start with this game. I had on screen the padlock to a locker and I had in my inventory the locker key, But it took me 14 attempts to open the locker as it seemed that I had to click on the exact spot the game wanted rather that just click on the padlock - very annoying.

For other games I have played recently, I have clicked approximately within 1.5cm to 2cm away from the target and it has been accepted which surprised me. Could we have some uniformity please BF, I know you buy from multiple developers but could there be a norm for matching an object in your inventory with what's on the screen. I actually screamed out loud which frightened my kittens when I reached the 10th failed attempt at matching the locker key with the locker padlock and it was barely 1.5cms wide.

Edited on 03/15/2014 at 1:49:11 PM PST

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Mar 15, 14 2:14 PM
This is a GREAT game. It has more adventure than hidden objects. When there is a HOS they vary from silhouettes, fragmented and the usual list. I have been playing this for 5 hours and still have plenty of game left. This is worth the CE label and price. Bonus that it was on sale. I think this is one of the best games to have been offered in awhile. Hope those that bought it have fun!

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Mar 15, 14 11:49 PM
The storyline is excellent. A small boy's toy dragon becomes broken and he asks his mother to fix it. When the toy is fixed a real dragon appears outside his house, kidnaps the little boy and sets the house on fire with his flaming breath. The dragon heads for the Dark Forest and the little boy's mother gives chase.

The graphics and visuals were great, very clear, crisp, and colorful. Soundtrack was very soothing, with appropriate background noise and excellent voiceovers.

Hidden objects scenes were list type, interactive, and very well illustrated. Mini puzzles were simplistic but entertaining.

There are collectibles and achievements worthy of a CE.

There is a strategy guide and an interactive map to assist you.

This game is a true delight and can be recommended for all ages. It's a fantasy fairy tale come true.

[Post New]by buick4 on Mar 16, 14 11:34 AM
I don't usually post any reviews, I buy quite a lot. With this one I really am impressed with the overall game. Plenty to do and different puzzles. Makes you think. Not just a regular HOG (which I love). This is definitely a must with the CE>

Go to: