Post your REVIEWS for European Mystery: The Face of Envy here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Mar 16, 14 12:39 AM
A thread to post your reviews for this game!

And don't forget you can read reviews of the Collector's Edition here:

forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/271178.page

Edited on 03/16/2014 at 9:26:29 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Re:Post your REVIEWS for European Mystery: The Face of Envy here

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Mar 16, 14 9:24 AM
Hey pondprowler,

Thanks for getting this thread started! I've gone ahead and stickied this thread so everyone else can find it more easily!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on European Mystery: The Face of Envy here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on European Mystery: The Face of Envy.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 17, 14 5:25 AM
The only good things I can say are the hint and skip buttons fill quickly, the colors are bright enough so far, and the music is unobtrusive. Otherwise, I found the crystal light and magic machine confusing. I never did exactly figure out how to work it, i.e., what blueprint where? It seemed an unnecessary gimmick and was the reason I stopped the demo early. I do not like being confused by gimmicks.

I didn't care for Scent of Desire for the same reason, and this one left me cold as well.

Definitely not a buy for me, but others who get turned on by a bunch of extraneous claptrap will probably love it.

Edited on 03/17/2014 at 5:33:08 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 17, 14 9:29 AM
Face of Envy Has Familiar 'Scent'

In this game, you play a retired detective called in to investigate a series of attacks and robberies against wealthy people in a European town. It was because of your success in the first European Mystery - Scent of Desire, that you are being consulted again. The villain here seems to have some supernatural power which enables him to alter his appearance using the stolen items.

The time and place are not stated; however it seems to be set in the 18th century (that's the 1700's). The drawing style is semi-realistic, and it is well rendered, but not especially distinctive. That is a nice way of saying that it looks like a lot of other games.

The hidden object scenes are mostly straightforward. However, during the trial period there is one scene where each object in the list requires an additional action to collect. There are many short mini-games which act as locks. These are well designed to fit into each scene, which is nice, but stripping that away they are mostly the standard types.

What is not standard is your kit - you use a charged crystal and other materials (i.e. gold and silver) to create special jewelery objects. You must be aware of what you need and use items from your inventory to add to the kit. This is a good idea as it can increase the experience of participation and immersion in the story.

In the CE version there the usual achievements for skillful play. There are also 35 masks to collect. The masks seem to be fairly well hidden, or at least they don't jump right out at you.

This is a solid game with a few twists and is a good follow up to the first in the series, but it's not going to make other developers green with Envy.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 19, 14 3:33 PM
I completely enjoyed this game. The graphics and animations were amazing. Voice overs were good and music must have been too since I don't remember much about it. Cut scenes were interesting and not overly long. A very interesting side game with jewels and a jewel box. Cute little animal helper you get to name (good grief), helps you get the high spots.

Fantastic transporter map. This is a long game and you do travel about quite a bit. Interactive HOS were interesting and different. Mini games were OK, some easy some didn't make sense at all but the Skip is almost immediate. Hint refreshes quickly too.

Inventory bar locks by pressing lion's face...took me awhile to figure that out. Has a journal, but I never even opened it...why do they put those in these games if they aren't necessary.

Interesting love story....2 in love and a frustrated admirer who tries to make life miserable for everyone in order to win her love. Set in a medival time...funny hats.
Intersting game play and I give it a 5 out of 5.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Mar 22, 14 6:34 PM
Someone, or something, is robbing Nobles in Rome and taking their identities. The Detective is called out of retirement to pursue the thief and solve the mystery.

This game has a beautiful soundtrack, with voilin and paino music in the background, excellent narration and voice overs.

The visuals are beautiful: clean, crisp, clear and very well illustrated.There are collectibles throughout including pieces of a plate and mosaic pieces, all to be used in the storyline.

Hidden objects scenes are the list type; some of them interactive in the sense that you have to create each object before it is considered found: for example, sculpting a dragon from a piece of wood, building a totem, and painting a mask. In others you are asked to find a certain number of a particular object.

Mini puzzles were fun and some were very challenging. They are a lot different than the usual mini puzzles in hidden object games.

Tools to help you include a notebook, the hint button, a jewel box to create items from other items you have found, a crystal cube to gather light to assist you in using the jewel box to make blueprints, and my personal favorite, a little animal helper, in this case a small ermine I named "Minty".

This SE has a lot of bang for the buck. It will keep you very busy as you try to catch the thief.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 10, 14 7:20 AM
I was quite enjoying this game when the jewelers box puzzle came up. for me it was confusing so I deleted the game

Fishmania
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Fishmania on Aug 26, 14 7:58 PM
I was loving EM Scent of Desire - until I couldn't unlock it-so much that tonight I thought I'd give the- one of the other apps I downloaded a try!
You know it's good when you decide that you will be unlocking it after 5 minutes of play, because you have to know what comes next!
Both EM are addicting!
Thank you BF for sparking my imagination, and giving me hours of fun!
However, I won't be unlocking this until you help me figure out how to unlock the other games I want to too! ( Smithsonian, and Scent of Desire)

Go to: