bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Deadly Puzzles: Toymaker

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 19, 14 12:29 AM
When a quiet town is shaken by a series of murders targeting young women, authorities are left running in circles trying to piece together the madman’s devious games. Nicknamed “the Toymaker� by the local media, the only clue to his identity is a grim calling card – strange toys left with his victim’s bodies. Just as any hope of catching the killer begins to dwindle, the lead investigator receives a package containing a disturbing video, sent by the Toymaker himself. To track down the psychopath, our heroine must scour over video frames of the crime scenes, search for clues left by the killer, and unravel the twisted plot connecting the Toymaker with each of his victims. Will she discover the killer’s identity in time to stop him from taking another life, or has accepting the killer’s challenge only put her in his sights?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Deadly Puzzles: Toymaker

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 19, 14 2:49 AM
'ello Flounder...

This game is by Grey Wizard Innovate.

There are 2 Difficulty modes: Casual and Expert.
Difficulty mode can be changed while playing the game.

There is a choice of a huge ugly custom cursor or a tiny custom cursor.

There is widescreen, there is voice-over.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to disappear until needed.

The Hint, in the shape of an Instant Camera, is at the right.

Your Notes, which contain the puzzles, are at the left.

There is no map. Don't need one as far as I can see, because you are not going anywhere.

--- --- ---

This is pretty much a basic HOG: you go to your map (which is on the wall), which then shows you a picture of a place you should go to and search. You click on the picture and get to a HOS.

The HOS are lists with some interaction.

The Hint button takes 15 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

You will receive a puzzle with pieces missing - place it on your desk.
When you do the HOS, you will get pieces of the puzzle. Once you have done the puzzle, you get a new incomplete puzzle for which you first have to find the missing parts again.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes 45 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

As a side note: In the third HOS, the Artifex Mundi logo can be seen on one of the objects. They distributed this game first.

I am not a fan of straight HOGs, but this game has me intrigued. I keep thinking that at any moment I will open the door and go out of my office, into the unknown. But this will probably never happen.

The graphics are nicely done, and the objects in the HOS are large enough and easy to find.

I am not sure whether I want to purchase this game. What I will probably do is see what my punch card looks like at the end of the month, and if I need an extra punch, I will get this game.

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 19, 14 4:50 AM
What the heck happened to Artifex Mundi? They can't possibly have anything to do with this game. This game looks like something they pulled out of their archives and dusted off and presented to us in the year 2525 that was made in the year 1950 or something like that. Sorry, not wasting my hard earned coupons on this! How many times do we have to say that we want to travel at OUR will, not the developers. Stuck on a map and having to come back to the same humdrum office time and again, the whole game about putting together a remedial puzzle on your desk. Nope, don't think so.

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Mar 19, 14 12:19 PM
heatherington wrote:What the heck happened to Artifex Mundi? They can't possibly have anything to do with this game. This game looks like something they pulled out of their archives and dusted off and presented to us in the year 2525 that was made in the year 1950 or something like that. Sorry, not wasting my hard earned coupons on this! How many times do we have to say that we want to travel at OUR will, not the developers. Stuck on a map and having to come back to the same humdrum office time and again, the whole game about putting together a remedial puzzle on your desk. Nope, don't think so.

I totally agree with you!!! Very old school straight-up HOG"s. At least give us a choice to play something else instead of HOG such as mahjong or a 3 match game.

Challenging puzzles and addictive mini games?? Really?? Talk about misleading!! Sorry no buy here, even with a coupon...

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 19, 14 12:35 PM
Just another straight HOG game. Better than some, worse than others. Try it and decide for yourself. I plan to put it on hold and get it when I have a coupon expiring.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Mar 19, 14 1:16 PM
I played the demo to give it a fair shot even after reading all the reviews. But I deleted it after about 20 minutes. I just couldn't stand the repetitiveness. I like intrigue and wondering what's around the next corner and puzzles to solve to get where I need to go. If that's in this game, it's too far down the road and my interest was lost before I could find out.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 19, 14 1:20 PM
I agree with heatherington. What happened to Artifex Mundi ?

I think this could have, should have been a lot better. Not Artifex Mundi quality IMO.

Way too many HOG's also. I did not find any fun puzzles or addicting mini games.

Back to the drawing Board.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Mar 19, 14 4:24 PM
I played the beta for this one some time ago. A nice game if you like one HO scene after another, a simple puzzle/mini-game, and a brief cut scene. It reminded me a lot of the old MCF games such as Prime Suspects or Huntsville. I think the developer is an off-shoot of AM and this struck me as an experiment. A nice enough game but not challenging at all, and missing the things I enjoy the most about HO games (like the ability to decide where and when I want to go somewhere). Excellent graphics but old-school game play IMO.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 19, 14 6:14 PM
Where do you all see the words "Artifex Mundi" in the game? Why are you all shouting about Artifex Mundi? Has any of you actually seen the words "Artifex Mundi" in the credits or the splash screen that comes up before the game, or are you all just copying what someone else has said before you?

I never shout with the masses but always first make sure I get my facts right.

Grey Wizard Innovative are the devs of this game. However, as so many small businesses these days, they are also owned by a bigger one, in this case Artifex Mundi. But it's NOT one of Artifex Mundi's games.

Edited on 03/19/2014 at 6:18:46 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 20, 14 3:45 AM
Yes, I know that the beta was sent out by Artifex Mundi. Artifex Mundi owns Grey Wizard Innovative, who have their own FB site where you can see this game being advertised.

People seem to mistake the original truly-made-by Artifex Mundi games with one that has been made by a studio that is owned by them.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Mar 22, 14 8:09 PM
The soundtrack in this game is excellent with a great narration by the Detective and voice overs by the killer.

This is an eerie and creepy hidden object game that starts in the middle of a thunderstorm, with great sound effects in the background, as you witness the silhoutte of a woman being murdered ( 19 year old biology student Agnes Dawn) through her window.

Visuals are great: beautiful, bright, clear scenes, some with the appropriate dark and eeriness for a murder mystery.

The killer, Toymaker, sends a video, which you need to find each time there is a murder, to the Detective, saying he will leave clues at each scene.

The hidden object scenes are interactive list type with creepy background music, most notably a xylophone. There are lots of hidden object scenes. Whenever you find a clue, you click on the map and are taken to the next hidden object scene. From the hidden object game you will find a clue needed to solve the next mini puzzle.

If you are a fan of hidden object games, this one's for you.
It is a great hidden object game.

brucegarr
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by brucegarr on Mar 25, 14 11:30 AM
Excellent game!

Go to: