Post your REVIEWS for Deadly Puzzles: Toymaker here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Mar 19, 14 12:34 AM
A thread to post your reviews for this game!

Edited on 03/19/2014 at 8:41:44 AM PST

Re:Post your REVIEWS for Deadly Puzzles: Toymaker here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 19, 14 1:19 AM
Excellent HOG!*****

BASED ON BETA & DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

It’s been a while since we had a truly exclusively Hidden Object game. It’s been worth the wait. This is a marvelous whodunit with all the flavour and quality of a HOPA without the added stress and confusion associated with complex stories and quests. Here we follow the investigation from HOP to HOP with a smooth and easy transition that will delight true HOG players.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Sadly, this game is not made for wide-screen, but it does have an aspect correction option, and in any case looks quite good stretched. Good quality ‘painted’ graphics make items easy to see – once you look at them the right way, of course!

They are accompanied by fun ambient sounds and an excellent voiceover who keeps us up to date without too much waffling and stating of the obvious (yeah, sure, there is a little of that of course). The bad guy is fun, clear voiceover, and the way he hides his identity is a giggle. I love how subtle the music can be – for instance, the ‘Asia lover’s’ apartment has ‘Asian’ music that is for once not overdone.

One feature I first found in the beta (done eons ago, I thought this game was doomed), that really tickled me, I found the overhead fan’s steady whup, whup, whup, annoying. Out of pique I clicked on it as if that would shut it up, and it did!! Though in the demo, we aren’t tortured by that noise, we can turn the fan on, if we want or need to (full realism here, it’s hot so we need to). What a wonderful touch! We are also expected to take a little care of that office of ours, so click around. *wink*

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
A serial killer calling himself the “Toymaker” is playing games with us. He leaves clues and video recordings at the scenes of his crimes, taunting us. As the detective in charge of the case, we must follow his clues to various locations and find what he has left for us, solve his cryptic puzzles and track him down.

GAMEPLAY
This is suitably simple. We work in our office. And travel from there to the locations on the map.

Each location has something the Toymaker has left us, which forms part of a puzzle we need to solve. Or sometimes the clues are brought to us from other sources, such as emergency phone calls. Either way, we always find more and more locations to investigate. So each chapter consists of us receiving an initial clue, pointing in the direction of one or more locations. In each we conduct a HOP to find another piece of the puzzle. Once all locations have been cleared, we must solve the puzzle to move on.

There is a hnt button, that works in your office, but it has very little it can tell you there. It is sometimes useful in the HOP scenes, which contain objects that are cleverly disguised, although obvious once you see them. The game has a notebook, where details of the puzzles are kept, but not the dossier information on suspects that I would have liked to see recorded after they are displayed to us. While most HOG players aren’t much interested in story, this game has a great one, and a dossier on suspects or similar would have added to the fun.

My one serious criticism is that the cursor is way too big.

COMBINED IMPACT
This is a neat game, both in design and production standards. I would absolutely have to own it were I a primarily HOG player. As it is, despite preferring HOPAs, it goes straight on to my wish list.

I recommend this game!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 19, 14 1:45 AM
Deadly Puzzles brings to us an adult-themed story, and a rather disturbing one at that. I have noticed that in today’s entertainment industry, especially within the Television medium, Serial Killers clearly have a fan base; when you consider how many shows deal with forensic crime, serial killers on the loose and even shows that depict them as society’s anti-hero. I for one prefer themes that deal with science fiction, occult and the supernatural.

Our story follow a rather bizaar Killer who targets young adults and leave behind a toy as part his MO. As lead detective, you have already received a video cassette (which by the way should give you an idea about just how old this game is), from the killer who has invited you to a cat and mouse game. Your job it to play one Hidden object scene after the other to put together clues that will apparently lead you to him. I got as far as playing the first round of HO scenes and decided to quit while I am ahead.

The Graphics are OK, cartoonish, one dimensional, dark but sharp. I did like the small details regarding special effects that you have in the office scenes such as picking up the water container to water your plant or opening up the window to let in fresh air. Voice-overs are good, well acted but slightly over dramatized and the music does build up tension.

There are two game modes to choose and fans of HOGs will definitely appreciate this game more than I did. Game tools include a journal and a map that takes you straight to the victim’s crime scene where you need to play a hidden object scene in order to collect clues that will lead you to the identity of the Killer. HO scenes are junk-piled and dark lighting along with very well camouflaged items make them somewhat challenging. The mini-game that I came across was very simple to solve.

Alas we have a game that has come to us either from a time machine or got lost in the archives and now is dusted off and presented to us. While many may find the story compelling and are curious as to who our Psycho Killer is, I for one will pass up on this game and perhaps some kind hearted fishy will just PM me with the identity of the Killer.

Edited on 03/19/2014 at 4:10:53 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 19, 14 1:57 AM
Hello there,
I also had the chance to try the beta survey of this game and I would have to repeat my impressions here as I did in the survey.
Unless there is a MAJOR change in the game play, I'm afraid that Artifex Mundi have a BIG MISS with this game.
Far from being an interesting story as premised by the title and the inference of "a serial killer" it is basically a boring game of hos after hos with very little entertainment value - no need for CSI, SVU, the BAU or grey matter. I love my HOGs, but this game goes nowhere, just one scene after another without having to do anything/travel anywhere. No fun or challenge in that as far as I'm concerned.
The other game "Mysterious Oasis" offered as TNR Looks more interesting.
I don't think this was dragged out of the archives or anything, just a very poorly developed game from one of the generally more reliable companies.
Of course give this a try for yourself and make up your own mind.
Cheers

Edited on 03/19/2014 at 2:07:10 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 19, 14 2:08 AM
This game is awesome, I want to thank the DEV's for all there hard work and time love the sounds and story line..I recommend thid game I know I am going to buy..
5 'sThx BFG

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 19, 14 8:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Deadly Puzzles: Toymaker here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Deadly Puzzles: Toymaker.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Mar 19, 14 8:53 AM
When sent the BETA for this months ago it sounded intriguing. As a fan of Artifex Mundi I assumed this came from their normal stable of devs. Given the rudimentary approach I would have to say this was not true. Very basic as in someone's first attempt.
After a very short period of playing I closed it down. As I described in the survey....Boring, repetitive, unimaginative, clumsy and disjointed.
This is nothing more than a string of HOS awkwardly strung together. The story serves no point or true relation to the actions of the game. It could have been any theme.
If you are looking for a straight HOG this may be one for you though the mechanics of the game even deter me from recommending it on that basis.

As always try before you buy!
Happy Gaming

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 19, 14 10:14 AM
This may be a good game for beginners or those that like strickly HOs. Not really one for me. The Hidden Object Scenes were well done and puzzles fun but to easy for experienced players.
I finished the demo in 45 min. and was starting to get bored with the repetitive nature of this.
Five or Six years ago I would have loved this but....Everyone should give it a try and see for themselves on this.

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Mar 19, 14 1:08 PM
People have complained about games that seem like they were developed several years ago. This one is exactly that. Strictly a HOG with simple puzzles. No real story. There is a mass murderer but that is all you ever find out. Took no time to finish. Really boring, pointless game unless you love HOGs that are easy to do and want to do them again and again. Boring!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 19, 14 4:46 PM
"Bee"ing a busy little worker bee instead of an upper level "queen bee" or "male drone bee" who lets the girls do all the work, this will be short and sweet! You are detective searching for a serial killer who is playing a cat and mouse game with you concerning his identity. You locate these clues through items located at the crime scenes. This appears to be an old school game from one of our favorite devs. Perhaps it was created a few years back as evidenced by the VCR tapes, cassette tapes (does anyone ever use these anymore? Does anyone even own a cassette player? ) and a vintage television in this game. No HD curved televisions here. There are two levels of play. I must admit the story is very intriguing; however it is basically a HOP game. At least the HOP scenes are interactive. BF tries to appeal to everyone and this game is devoted to those who really enjoy looking for items in HOP scenes - which I don't. So...my sleuth BF fans, this will be a pass for me. Such a shame because it has a good storyline - just way too many HOP scenes for me.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 19, 14 4:57 PM
This is one of those cases where I must rate the game for what it is: a straight-up HOG. This isn't an adventure game. I think the developers did a good job putting out this game which will appeal to those who prefer straight HOG. The graphics and colors were great. There isn't usually a story, per se, with these types of games. If searching HOS is your cup of tea, I recommend this game for you. For me, it is a pass.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 19, 14 6:22 PM
JustTheFacts wrote:[b]Excellent HOG!*****

BASED ON BETA & DEMO

snipped for space

My one serious criticism is that the cursor is way too big.

Yep JTF, you got that right! But discovered the gigantic cursor can be literally cut down to a very reasonable size, while retaining the same custom appearance and functionality. Just unclick "custom cursor" on Options screen.

As everyone has pointed out, this is indeed a straight HOG. The voiceovers are IMO nicely done and graphics are nice too. But unless you enjoy straight HOG with one or two interactive item per scene, may not hold much appeal.

Actually going to get this later this month. It was pleasantly relaxing.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Mar 20, 14 8:14 AM
I did take part in the beta on this, and was very disappointed then, and reading the reviews still feel that disappointment. This developer is capable of so much better !!!

I said at the time that is was too simpleminded, too repetitive, and too cartoon-y for experienced adult players, but way, way too dark for kids, even young adults. What does that leave? Just adult beginners. And not all of them. Bur adding a few who want to relax.

Well, the reviews bear me out. That is exactly the group that loves this game. I'm glad you guys are around because I love this dev and want to see them succeed. But this is not a buy for me (sad sniff).

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 20, 14 12:53 PM
Okay, so I guess I'll be a little different today. This is a very nice game, for an SE. No, there isn't anything fancy, nor is it particularly challenging, but sometimes that's all you want. The graphics and game play are actually pretty good and seem to fit the story line. Voice over not bad, but drags on a bit and sounds like she is just reading. Music okay.

Yes, it is a straight HOG, but occasionally that is all I want. Sometimes a "no brainer" clears your brain for other things and this game does that. It is an interesting story line. HOGs are fairly clean and clear and items are not hard to find. Hint system is quite helpful and fills fairly quickly. You really need to check each area carefully, as some things happen where you least expect.

I enjoyed this game and did purchase with a credit, to add it to my collection. This will appeal to the beginner and, as I said, to those of us who like HOGs and just need a relaxing nice game for a change.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

NOTE: Extremely short game, but not too bad. Ending was just odd.

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 2:12:01 PM PST

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Mar 21, 14 5:07 AM
I found this game too repetitive. It was the same thing over and over again. Seemed like there was nothing different in each location. very boring, not a buy for me.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Mar 22, 14 11:02 AM
I found I was disappointed when the trial came to an end, so I'll be buying it. It's a nice simple game - maybe too simple for some, but it suited me today after a week of the flu coupled with processing a large payroll that has left me too tired to think.

Everything worked in it, and the game flowed, and while it wasn't up to the standard of Emberwing (the previous game I played) in graphics or complexity, I definitely enjoyed playing it.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Mar 22, 14 8:07 PM
The soundtrack in this game is excellent with a great narration by the Detective and voice overs by the killer.

This is an eerie and creepy hidden object game that starts in the middle of a thunderstorm, with great sound effects in the background, as you witness the silhoutte of a woman being murdered ( 19 year old biology student Agnes Dawn) through her window.

Visuals are great: beautiful, bright, clear scenes, some with the appropriate dark and eeriness for a murder mystery.

The killer, Toymaker, sends a video, which you need to find each time there is a murder, to the Detective, saying he will leave clues at each scene.

The hidden object scenes are interactive list type with creepy background music, most notably a xylophone. There are lots of hidden object scenes. Whenever you find a clue, you click on the map and are taken to the next hidden object scene. From the hidden object game you will find a clue needed to solve the next mini puzzle.

If you are a fan of hidden object games, this one's for you.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 29, 14 9:57 AM
This game, it seems to me by reading the reviews, you either love it or hate it!! I personally think this may be one of the most boring games I have ever played. I agree with the review that says how repititious it is - back to the office and the same ole desk, do a puzzle go play another HOS - of which there are about 500!! And not being a HOS lover to begin with, they really started getting on my nerves. I have a punch card code that has been "burning a hole in my pocket" and was going to use it on this game, but since I finished the Demo in under a half hour, I am having second thoughts for all of the above reasons. I recommend this game for beginners only.

feenix

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Mar 30, 14 8:49 PM
I don't judge games based on quality of graphics (unless it makes finding hidden objects impossible). I don't hate games just because they seem like old-school HOP games. I don't need voiceovers or whizbang animated cut-scenes. I DO, however, require a game to give me SOME credit for brains and to allow me to perform tasks that solve the puzzles within.
This game is just too much hand-holding. You go to one HOP scene, get a puzzle. Go to the next one, get a piece of the puzzle. Etc, etc until you have the whole puzzle. Then when you have the whole thing on your "desk", you just click and click and click until you solve it. I couldn't bend the ballerina's joints the way I wanted to--every time I clicked any part of the leg, any other part might move. I felt like I was guaranteed success as long as I kept clicking until the game counted off enough clicks.

Then there's the narration. I do allow some leeway in written parts of a story when English is obviously not the first language. But this dev evidently hired an American voice-over actor and actress. And they just read these non-grammatical lines. Plurals where there shouldn't be, sentences that really don't make sense, etc. You'd think they might at least speak up when the lines are so poorly written.

Just too many little aggravations for me to play more than 30 minutes. It's a shame, as I usually actually LIKE these old-school type games. Huntsville and Prime Suspects are two of my top three MCF titles, to tell the truth. But at least they have a sense of humor, a level of challenge, and puzzles that you actually have to solve.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Mar 31, 14 8:22 PM
what a fun little game. I really enjoyed this.

Go to: