Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

Please take the #'s Out From Your Manor Names!

[Post New]by Fishpole on Mar 19, 14 10:32 PM
I'm sorry Folks but I'm having an awful time of keeping up with everyone! I'm already 2 days behind in 'Gifting', so please just be patient.....I will get there. I make a list of EVERBODY.
But...and this is a BIG BUT it's a whole lot easier if your 'Manor Name' is just a 'Name'!
When I have to go looking for you under an address with a # in front it makes it a whole lot harder.
There are a lot of people out there who have come up with some very creative 'manor names' and I for one really appreciate this effort.
Anyway, that being said and with all the 'gifting' I have to do, and all the neighbors I have, I WILL NOT accept any new neighbors with numbers in their addresses.

Sorry....But for now...until I catch up it's just the way it has to be.

'Happy Gaming' Everyone
Gold Paved Street

Re:Please take the #'s Out From Your Manor Names!

[Post New]by mywildirishrose on Mar 19, 14 11:49 PM
I wouldn't mind the numbers so much if the sort function worked properly. As it is, I get only the names in any kind of order, the numbered manors just seem to sort randomly.

[Post New]by 45045Kamehameha on Mar 19, 14 11:57 PM
For some of us, the numbers are an important part of our name. My manor wouldn't be the same without the 45045.

temp_89120
Catfish
Catfish
1,631 Posts

[Post New]by temp_89120 on Mar 20, 14 1:04 AM
With apologies to moosetracker, I still think that DM should be using the the ID number (Playing as #######) since it seems to be the only things that's unique. If the developers would add it to the neighbor list, sort on it and show it on the manors we visit, we could keep track of who's who regardless of manor names or name changes. The sorted list would be organized a bit better too.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Mar 20, 14 1:31 AM
45045Kamehameha wrote:For some of us, the numbers are an important part of our name. My manor wouldn't be the same without the 45045.

I don't think that you are a neighbor of mine...at least I don't recognize your rather 'distinct' name/ number.

I'm talking about the ones that are (for example) Batley Ave., Arnold Ave., Ebony Lane, Dead Inn Rd., Stark Way, Elm Ave., Mockingbird Ln. and all their variations etc., etc., etc.,

These are 'assigned' when you sign up for the game. BUT you are free to change your 'Manor' name and in the interest of progress I for one encourage you to do so.

I am spending more time 'sorting' through players names it seems, so that I can 'Gift' back, than actually playing the game so this is the reasoning behind my request.

By the way I managed to get through to March 19th today.....so have heart those of you my dear neighbors patiently waiting!

I've put a 'limit' on my 'welcome to the neighborhood' gifts.' Perhaps this should be a separate 'item' that we can win or earn? So many a day depending on?

And you're right 'IrishRose' if the sort function worked it would certainly help.

Again, 'Happy Gaming' I'm not meaning to exclude anyone. I just want to
enjoy the game myself.

moosetracker
Flounder
Flounder
2,484 Posts

[Post New]by moosetracker on Mar 20, 14 3:26 AM
I think someone posted there is rhyme & reason to this sort.. I don't see it.. Still I will deal with it rather then a number only.. I wouldn't even remember my own number, let alone the number of 100 others..

Sorted by name Here an example of the manors on my list (disregarding the fake player stuck in the first position)..

JuJu726 Elm St
1313 13th Lane
Here Be Critters
Linda
45 045 Kamehameha lane
353 169
11 Abysmal Way
(..... a good amount that ignore the front number and sort by the First character of the Name. but normally have a number in it, but sometimes not.. Ex
151 BB...., 221 Ba... 111 Bu..., 555 Bet..., Buckingham Mews (no numbers), 808 Bat.... 221 Ch..., 112 Ca..., 321 Ce..., 421 Dr... 133 Da.... etc )
(... a good amount with no numbers just names a - z... Then ...)
(... about 20 at the tail end with no numbers just names a - z.. That for some reason could not sort in with the first group on no numbers that were a - z...)

Still I can remember two or three names and go searching in the mess for them.. It is hard for me to remember a long number even if only one without twisting some of the numbers in a Dyslexic sort of way.)

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 3:30:19 AM PST

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Mar 20, 14 4:15 AM
'Thank you' Moosetracker.....I don't consider myself to be dyslexic, but I am having an awful time with these numbers.

A lot (Thank the Lord & Pass the Salt) of my neighbors have gotten quite creative in their names, dropping the numbers, thank gawd....and just making up a name

For instance, and I hope they don't mind me giving it out but....eg. Heart Estate, Sunflower Fields, Bluebeards Manor, Hill House, Last House on the Left. You get the picture!

Even one of my 'oldest & dearest' neighbors, although there is numbers in the name, it is unique...999zad Street. I have tried highlighting but this doesn't work either.

So 'Gamers' come up with your own name & really make the 'Manor' Yours!

Winfrey3
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by Winfrey3 on Mar 20, 14 7:40 AM
Fishpole wrote:'Thank you' Moosetracker.....I don't consider myself to be dyslexic, but I am having an awful time with these numbers.

A lot (Thank the Lord & Pass the Salt) of my neighbors have gotten quite creative in their names, dropping the numbers, thank gawd....and just making up a name

For instance, and I hope they don't mind me giving it out but....eg. Heart Estate, Sunflower Fields, Bluebeards Manor, Hill House, Last House on the Left. You get the picture!

Even one of my 'oldest & dearest' neighbors, although there is numbers in the name, it is unique...999zad Street. I have tried highlighting but this doesn't work either.

So 'Gamers' come up with your own name & really make the 'Manor' Yours!

Yes please-- way to many Elms, Lyons, Mockingbirds etc. The Batleys are driving me Batty.

[Post New]by 45045Kamehameha on Mar 20, 14 8:50 AM
Yes, there are a lot of threads about the Elms, Mockingbirds, etc. as well as how the weird sorting thing works. I for one am dyslexic . The funny thing is, since I don't think linearly, I actually understand the sorting thing.

I read somewhere it is because of the type of programming language they use (Unix, I think). But I'm not sure. I've also read that the developers added a Quest that gives you a prize for changing your manor name. I don't remember that quest when I first started.

I've also noticed my Elms, Mockingbirds, Batleys, etc. have dwindled. I assume those neighbors are slowing changing their names as they progress in the game. Other neighbors change their names from time to time , as sometimes I see a new name, but recognize the manor.

For me, I get excited when I can add someone from this forum as a neighbor. Unfortunately our screen names don't always tie or match our manor names. But I know I have found some of you recently (shout out to moosetracker ) .

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 8:51:31 AM PST

LaReinaGitana
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,007 Posts

[Post New]by LaReinaGitana on Mar 20, 14 10:23 AM
temp_89120 wrote:With apologies to moosetracker, I still think that DM should be using the the ID number (Playing as #######) since it seems to be the only things that's unique. If the developers would add it to the neighbor list, sort on it and show it on the manors we visit, we could keep track of who's who regardless of manor names or name changes. The sorted list would be organized a bit better too.

Please, no!

Because that is the number that identifies me to Tech Support and Customer Service, I would not be very pleased at all to have it available to every Arnold, Batley, Elm, Lyon and Mockingbird!

I'm quite happy with my manor name. I'm quite happy with the names of my neighbors' manors. I have absolutely no trouble telling one from another; I know who has played and who hasn't; I know when someone is missing; and I can easily keep track of gifting.

My experience with months of playing Dark Manor is -- if it isn't broken, please, please, don't fix it!

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Mar 20, 14 10:34 AM
Hi. I copied this from PTBT in the Dark Manor 101 thread on how the neighbor manor names are sorted and this is exactly how my neighbor names sort. I never have a problem unless someone puts spaces in the front of their manor name, then it gets all wacky and puts it anywhere. Most people don't do that, though.

<<There are 2 new buttons at the bottom also; Sort and Edit. Sort options are Last Played and Name. Name is an alpha sort, kind of. Leading spaces/blanks are first (ex.: ^^^name, where ^=space), then number/capitalized (123 Name), number/lower case (123 name), no number/caps (Name), no number/lower case (name). >>

Donna509
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by Donna509 on Mar 20, 14 10:54 AM
One thing I found confusing when I was new is that the manor name is on the first line if it is not a Facebook player, but it is on the second line if it is a Facebook player.

moosetracker
Flounder
Flounder
2,484 Posts

[Post New]by moosetracker on Mar 20, 14 11:01 AM
Greetings - Kamehameha

Well that explains some of it.. Like why it will only sort on the first letter of the name, (sometimes) .. Wierd, Weird sorting pattern.

Also notice that when you sort by name and you only have the first 50 (or how many you have pinned + 50) displayed.. It really is a sort by last played first, then by name, because it doesn't go off and find your "Aardvark Manor" and put that first if the person hasn't played in a week.. It still is sorting on the first group of 50+pinned of last played, then sorting that group by name..

Perhaps others are doing what I am.. I use the messages for some of my neighbors (especially newbies) to give them a helpful hint that they will get more people inviting them to be neighbors, and more people will accept their invitations if they create a unique name. Maybe that is why more names are starting to change.

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Mar 20, 14 12:54 PM
I also meant to add that when I am ready to do my gifting for the day, I load all my neighbors first, then sort them by name, then go to the gifting section. I have been able to find every neighbor who has sent me a gift 99% of the time.
I used to have a terrible problem with missing neighbors before the fix. I would have to put almost half on the list for the next day because I couldn't find them. My gifting is way faster and easier now.

Audrey

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Mar 22, 14 4:04 PM
Thanks for the 'helpful hints' Audrey.....I tried them & they work!

Now.....I just have to 'catch up' on '29 Gifts'!

For this reason I have posted a 'Pls NO Gifts' beside my 'Manor' name & I MEAN it!

I know that I have caring, helpful neighbors and I WILL get back on track again. I hope!

In the meantime....'Happy Gaming' Everyone
Gold Paved Street

[Post New]by creekhouse on Mar 22, 14 4:20 PM
I love all my neighbors equally and want to help everyone. What I do is just start and the top and gift the number I'm allowed, make a note of the last one gifted and send. Next day I start where I left off and eventually I gift all my neighbors. The only exception to this is when my neighbor has not played for more than 1 day. They will be skipped until next time they come up on the list, I never go back.. If a neighbor has not played in a week they drop off my neighbor list.

[Post New]by creekhouse on Mar 22, 14 4:24 PM
Just a P.S. to my last post, I always open all my neighbors first, then select Name as my sort option. Also if you will "grab" the last name on your list and "push" the wheel up you will go to the bottom of the list super quick.

Dawnie818
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by Dawnie818 on Mar 22, 14 4:25 PM
I'm not sure if I am doing it wrong, but I just go down my list of neighbors, send gifts, and pin those to whom I have gifted.

I don't expect reciprocity, and I don't message apologies neighbors to whom I cannot reciprocate. I just don't think it needs to be such a thorn in players' sides.

They are "gifts". Being angry at people who send them to you negates the very nature of generosity. JMO.

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Mar 23, 14 10:28 AM
Fishpole wrote:Thanks for the 'helpful hints' Audrey.....I tried them & they work!

Now.....I just have to 'catch up' on '29 Gifts'!

For this reason I have posted a 'Pls NO Gifts' beside my 'Manor' name & I MEAN it!

I know that I have caring, helpful neighbors and I WILL get back on track again. I hope!

In the meantime....'Happy Gaming' Everyone
Gold Paved Street

You're welcome! I'm glad to help. Once I had cleared out all the old gifts after the update, gifting became a breeze! I do find myself giving out more grave markers than I would like sometimes after I have used up all my free gifts, but it's the thought that counts, right?
Audrey

doomonyou
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by doomonyou on Mar 23, 14 1:04 PM
There a protocol to gift?

I just scroll through and drop gifts.

Go to: