bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 20, 14 12:29 AM
You and your colleague, Detective Dupin, have accepted an odd case at the ancient House of Usher – to find the twin sister of Roderick, who has vanished without a trace. As you delve deeper into the mystery, the connection between the twin’s malady and the old estate appears even more entwined. Why are townspeople disappearing? What secret is locked in the forbidden library? And can you and Dupin find the answers before more innocent victims are claimed?

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 20, 14 1:07 AM
(Based on the beta test) I am very pleasantly surprised.

This is the best ERS game I have seen a couple of years! They have pulled out ALL the stops, meaning all the little tricks they have used in their various titles ALL seem to be included. All except one ---- there are NO cute critters to feed, house, or dress up. Well, there is a mouse, but it is there to serve an actual purpose and is merely treated as an inventory item. You have the collecting of coins, a lab to spend the coins in, achievements, a magnifier to use to collect said coins, interactive HOS of many different varieties, and puzzles/mini-games that are quite challenging.

Best of all, though wide liberties have been taken with Poe's story, the spirit and spookiness of this classic tale have been retained. The story is correctly dark, gloomy, and even features a couple of good scares. And they even have a feel for when to lighten it up a bit, but not overly so as they have been guilty of in previous games.

The graphics are excellent as usual with ERS, the music is story-appropriate, and the voice overs are good.

You can select from one of four game modes, the fourth being custom settings.

I was impressed with the hints given because they were done in a very sly way.

Most impressive to me was that you actually had to think through the various challenges the game presents ---- such a change from previous games.

I liked the game a lot, and heartily recommend it. Finally, ERS has shown a brilliant flash of their greatest games from long ago. Congrats, and keep up this trend. (Now, I hope it will be remembered that if I think ERS deserves a good review, I'm glad to do so.)

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Mar 20, 14 1:35 AM
I played the beta of this game and was eagerly awaiting the release. As soon as we get our 60% off coupon for downloading Midnight Castle, I will be getting The Fall of the House of Usher. As cbtx said, this goes back to ERS high quality. It is nice not to have any cutesy animals to dress up and feed. They get old very quickly.

The game play is done extremely well and you do have to use the old noggin! This should provide several hours of pure fun. I recommend fishies try it and decide for themselves.

Marty

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 20, 14 2:02 AM
Here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail and bringing us one fine detective this morning. Thank you ERS and BF. The VO's are awesome! The one thing I love about this series is that ERS makes you feel like you're actually working beside Dupin meaning how the NPC's mention you as his assistant and how it seems Dupin is actually talking to you. This series is always my favorite whether it has the cut animals or not. And as a rule, I never seen a lack in their games. I am an ERS fan through and through. This is one team that takes what their customers want to heart. To them their customers are number one.

Story: We are off to the House of Usher to try and find the missing twin sister of Roderick and see why the people are disappearing. We have to work diligently so no more lives are claimed.

Graphics: Superb. This team's graphics have always been. They are clear inside and out of H0Gs, and they always make everything look so real.

Music: Splendid. It's fits really great with the game.

Mini games: Not hard or easy to me. They give just enough challenge to where you are not pulling your hair out.

Hint: Works both in and out of the game.

H0GS: Didn't have a problem at all seeing the objects as the graphics were done beautifully. And they really are fun.

Map. It's a jump map and has indications on the map of what to do next. The best type of maps to have.

Again ERS thanks again for this wonderful surprise!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 20, 14 2:25 AM
I love this game graphics are beautiful and sounds was very pleasant,to lisen too,BF you pulled this rabbit out of the hat for us today.Thx DEV's for all your hard work and time this will be a buy for me..I recommend this game 100 %
ERS games rock and always will..I love the story line and many tricks the DEV's came up with in this game.. ERS; 5 's
Happy Gaming..

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 20, 14 3:09 AM
I'm just wondering what the rat on the left end of my inventory bar is about
He's entertaining, falling off his perch or nibbling something but I'm wondering if he has any use?
Have yet to see as I've just started the game and loving it so far.
This is a great series!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 20, 14 3:31 AM
Personally I hate the rat! Seriously what is up with the rat? But then I just hate rats all together but I am LOVING this game. ERS has done it again! Well done

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 20, 14 4:49 AM
Nilosh wrote:Personally I hate the rat! Seriously what is up with the rat? But then I just hate rats all together but I am LOVING this game. ERS has done it again! Well done

I agree with Katejoe. I think he is entertaining. He doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe he gets stuff for you if you can't get it yourself

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Mar 20, 14 5:01 AM
Love ERS games and the Dark Tale Series.
This is a great game ,love everything about it and the very handsome Dupin is back.
But I will wait to purchase later.This sale doesn't help me ,since I own all the others.
Please BF do something to help us out that own other games in series.Anyway off to finish demo enjoy fishies(this is best of the best)

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 20, 14 9:44 AM
Ce jeu est magnifique ! Merci ERS and Big Fish.

I've been waiting with bated breath for this game and it's here. Yay ! So good,
all right, all right, all right.

Cannot say anything bad about this game, in fact it's all good. The reviewers have already said it all.

ERS has done a "mahvelous" job. Hope there are more like this one to come. Definitely a CE worthy game.

The rat is a cute distraction, not sure if he does anything yet other than fall and eat sunflower seeds.

uwflossi
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by uwflossi on Mar 20, 14 3:35 PM
Hello dear fishies, this game/story does not grab me. The map is not precise. No colour, no name of the room/place. In other games the hint bottom drags you to the scene where you have to do something. someone mentioned the map shows what to do. I can not find such hints. Also the time the hint bottom fills is to choose. I can not find it. (I am German, sorry ;-))). But the time to refill the hint bottom is O.K. The coins game with the houses is foolish. Nothing to look for. I would not say I better saved my money but nearly.
Happy gaming

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 20, 14 3:54 PM
I truly wish ERS would stop with the endless amounts of gimmicks in their games. There is no way to have a story flow with constantly stopping to pick up photos, match them to locations, turn things from stone into non-stone?, etc etc. I do love Poe and the Dark Tales series. The first few were excellent, and those were the ones without all the extra nonsense. And the map is horrible. The SE would be a better choice, and only because it is a Poe game. If it weren't, I'd pass totally.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Mar 21, 14 5:16 AM
cbtx wrote:(Based on the beta test) I am very pleasantly surprised.

This is the best ERS game I have seen a couple of years! They have pulled out ALL the stops, meaning all the little tricks they have used in their various titles ALL seem to be included. All except one ---- there are NO cute critters to feed, house, or dress up. Well, there is a mouse, but it is there to serve an actual purpose and is merely treated as an inventory item. You have the collecting of coins, a lab to spend the coins in, achievements, a magnifier to use to collect said coins, interactive HOS of many different varieties, and puzzles/mini-games that are quite challenging.

Best of all, though wide liberties have been taken with Poe's story, the spirit and spookiness of this classic tale have been retained. The story is correctly dark, gloomy, and even features a couple of good scares. And they even have a feel for when to lighten it up a bit, but not overly so as they have been guilty of in previous games.

The graphics are excellent as usual with ERS, the music is story-appropriate, and the voice overs are good.

You can select from one of four game modes, the fourth being custom settings.

I was impressed with the hints given because they were done in a very sly way.

Most impressive to me was that you actually had to think through the various challenges the game presents ---- such a change from previous games.

I liked the game a lot, and heartily recommend it. Finally, ERS has shown a brilliant flash of their greatest games from long ago. Congrats, and keep up this trend. (Now, I hope it will be remembered that if I think ERS deserves a good review, I'm glad to do so.)

Ever since reading your review on another site, I have been waiting impatiently for this to come out. I enjoy ERS games and I know that when you give one of their games a that's its a sure winner. Normally I wait for the SE but not this time. Almost bought it immediately but did decide to play the trial first. Not disappointed. You were spot on in your review. Thanks cbtx!

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Oct 6, 14 7:52 AM
Not the worst game in this series but definitely not the best! My favorite will always be The Black Cat, it just seemed to flow better and be more challenging. I absolutely hate the map with this game, completely useless. And the rat is also completely useless so why is he/she/it even there? Dupin seems to have undergone some type of personality change and not for the better, I wish he'd stayed home and allowed me to investigate on my own. I just hope the next entry in this series returns to the standards of the first few. I also hope Dupin has some therapy before then or I may find myself investigating his murder! When I find myself playing a game just to get it done I know something is wrong......

Go to: