REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pondprowler on Mar 20, 14 12:38 AM
A thread to post your reviews for this game!

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 7:51:22 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 20, 14 3:28 AM
Aahhhh Dupin, quel manifique! How I missed our many adventures and at last, we are together again, this time investigating the mystery of one of my favorite Poe tale: The Fall of the House of Usher. Our case begins with the disappearance of Madeleine, twin sister of Roderick who has simply vanished without a trace. We learn of the strange disease shared by the twins that is rather unsettling and soon discover that there is a link between the illness and the old estate. You also come across a mysterious power that is called the Reborn One that has the ability to bring stone to life and what that has to do with all that is going on is a mystery in itself. More people begin to disappear on your watch and so it is up to you and your colleague, Detective Dupin, find Madeleine and unlock the secret that plagues the House of Usher and all who are connected to it.

My favorite detective brought to me by my favorite group of developers who haven’t been around for some time. Again with the similar graphics, visuals, sounds and effects; it seems that time does not deter them from their methods and techniques. Nothing new with the visuals, nothing we haven’t seen from them except perhaps a slight deviation in some features such as no mouth movements, a bit too much with the cartoon imagery. Perhaps it is just me; I seem to remember that their graphics use to be a bit more vibrant. Oh well, the voice-overs are still there as is the music in the background.

Main menu offers you three game modes along with customized settings which is much appreciated. Game tools include your inventory bar that can be locked, a journal and a map that will allow for travel which now seems to be a given with most games. You have you SG and on you right side of the screen, there is the bottle with the Reborn One that has the power to being life to stone. One more thing, what’s up with the RAT? It just sits on the left side of my screen and has no function as far as I can tell. Seriously, why would the developers place this nasty looking creature on my screen? Is he a pet? I keep clicking on him and he doesn’t do anything so why put him there? I hate rats!

What we have here is an entertaining HOPA game with all the bells and whistles that you can imagine, including collecting coins and visit the shop to buy equipment for your lab. The game is challenging and interesting with a multitude of puzzles to solve and hidden object scenes that come in variation. I came across one with written clues to items, and the standard list of items that involve interaction. Hidden object scenes can also be switched to an interesting Match 3 game which is much harder than the standard M3 games we have played. Adventure game play was interesting and surprisingly challenging and somewhat confusing. As always, you have dark corners to explore and items to find in order to unlock doors and solve puzzles. You and Dupin occasionally exchange quips and you pick up clues and also use your camera to take pictures for your album which also earns you an achievement. During your investigation, you come across these doll houses and with the magnifier, you search for coins that you will need to buy special equipment for your lab. Perhaps some may find these small diversions a bit too distracting and to be honest, some did seem a bit unnecessary like the RAT and the camera. Mini-games were interesting and as customary with these developers, some were even challenging and required some time and effort to solve.

What can I say, I love Dupin, I love Poe and I love these developers, and despite the RAT on my screen, I will forgive them for this one discrepancy and immediately set out to purchase the game. Once again a five star game from our five star group and from our five star game site, BFG!

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pvsquare on Mar 20, 14 5:12 AM
My favorite series. I have been waiting a long time for this game. I am not disappointed. Thanks ERS and Big Fish.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Mar 20, 14 7:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Mar 20, 14 9:39 AM
These are also one of my favorites. My only question is other then then the house with the coins what makes this an CE addition. Maybe I am missing something.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 20, 14 10:00 AM
jonah11 wrote:These are also one of my favorites. My only question is other then then the house with the coins what makes this an CE addition. Maybe I am missing something.

Well there is the bonus chapter, and all those useful things such as wallpaper.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 20, 14 11:56 AM
Well, another addition to the EAP series. Wasn't too sure about this one, since I had problems with the last one, but this seems to be working well. Graphics are very nice, clean and clear. Game play is good. Only "problem" I had was forgetting to use the pictures, which really wasn't a problem, just my memory. Voice overs were well done and you can click through the dialog for those of us who read faster than they speak.

What's with the rat that sits in the corner and the camera you don't use? Those have me a bit confused. Maybe they get used later. Really like the HOGs, you have a choice between HOG and match 3. This match 3 is not like any other we have played and is not as easy as you may think. HOGs were a mixture of standard and riddles (which I really like), and were fun. Items were clear and not difficult to find.

SG is the standard, but really wasn't necessary. Hint system is quite helpful and I like that you can adjust to how quickly it refills. Same with the skip button...very nice. Did not care for the set up of the map. Yes, it is a jump map, but you have to go to a main area and then figure out where you go from there, plus the color is monochrome and boring to the eyes. Very disappointed in this map.

The only collectibles I see are the coins, which are used to stock the lab. I sort of like this, but it was very simple and no challenge here. There are a lot of achievements in this one as well. The game as a whole is not really challenging, but the story and game play are very good. Yes, the story is a little different from the original, but still pretty good. Maybe I like it because I have been a Poe fan since middle school and the old Vincent Price movies. I don't give 5 stars easily and even though this is a top notch game, I do not feel it is worth 5 stars. I think because there really aren't any extras in the game, other than collecting coins, plus the boring jump map. All that being said, if you are a Poe fan, you will like this game. It is a definite buy for me and a very nice addition to my every growing collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 20, 14 12:26 PM
House of Usher Is Definitely A Fixer-Upper

You and Detective Dupin have been summoned by Dr. Morris to the House of Usher to investigate the disappearance of Madeleine. Madeleine and her brother Roderick are twins who share a special bond in which they experience each others painful experiences. Dr. Morris had been treating them until Madeleine disappeared.

A quick check in my inventory revealed that I’ve played five previous Dark Tales games, all of them either good or very good. The strength of this series has always been the stories. So how does this one measure up?

As you would expect, the House is creepy looking and contains all sorts of weird objects, doors and locks. In fact, the exterior of the house bears an eerie resemblance to the house from the movie “Psycho.” The drawing style is consistent with the others in the Dark Tales series, with very saturated colors and a slightly grainy and flat look.

Game play is characterized by variety. The hidden object play varies from scene to scene, beginning with a riddle type, then find 12 of something, and so on. Objects are mostly correct for the period. There is a match-3 option not explored by this reviewer. Mini games were not too challenging, but were well animated.

Along the way, you also collect a spirit who can bring certain objects to life, and a pet mouse to get to those hard-to-reach places.

Voices are not up to the usual high standards. For starters, the developers re-used the same person’s voice for at least three characters. They just tweaked it a little to try to disguise it. I found the voice of Roderick to be the weakest, and his voice did not fit the look of the character either.

Options are highly customizable for whichever level you choose to play, including a switch to simply turn off the sparkles.

The Collector’s Edition includes a lab that you can purchase equipment for. Coins are found by searching model buildings throughout the game using an x-ray lens. The pseudo-extras include wallpapers (6), concept art (15), screen savers (5), hidden object (17), mini games (17), and movies (14). There are also the usual achievements. Other extras are a strategy guide and bonus chapter. There are no collectible items (other than the coins).

Verdict: Unless there is a sale, the SE would seem to be the better value. The game will not “usher” in a new era in gaming, but is still worth playing.

ETA: yes there is a camera, too. Seemed like an afterthought.

Edited on 03/21/2014 at 5:33:39 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 20, 14 3:43 PM
Love the game
One of my favorite developers and never disappoint. Love Edgar Allan Poe and the Handsome Detective Story is a good one and of course the graphics are great. Like the hints, puzzles, music and HOG's.. Will be a buy for me.. Give this 5 out 5 stars...

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 3:44:08 PM PST

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Mar 20, 14 3:47 PM
For me, ERS puts out cookie cutter games, all with the same sounds, same artwork, same washed out colors. The only saving grace for me with this game is that fact that it is a Dark Tales game and I do love Poe. I must agree with steve_san and say that the SE would be a much better purchase. There is so much "STUFF" or fluff in this game, it hinders and masks game play. Take away the houses you look through with the super x-ray magnifier, the coins, the rat prancing about your screen and you are basically left with a bonus chapter as a CE bonus. This is not a thinking game. It is more a follow the little side tasks to have some game filler type of game. For instance, the creature who turns stone back to life form. Or the photos you take or the photos you find. It is very hard to become immersed in the game when you're constantly stopping to do some odd "fluff" task. I'd recommend as an SE only because I'm a huge Poe fan.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 20, 14 5:29 PM
Wow! What a fabulous surprise for CE Thursday (which is the day after SE hump day which brings a game with which to use your coupons). From the GamERS, we have another detective masterpiece in the "Dark Tales" series. Hey devs! To me, this is one of your best games to date. Returning is my favorite piece of gaming eye candy - the dreamy "bel homme" - Detective Dupin lending his brilliant and sexy mind in solving a missing person case. This game is based on a short story by one of my favorite authors, Poe. The game is not true to the actual storyline; but who cares? This is a beautifully crafted game. And guess what? For once there are no cutesy animal helpers;however, we do have a "genie-type" in a bottle - The Reborn One - who turns stone statues into living creatures.

Dupin has been called in by the Usher twins' doctor to help locate one of the missing Usher twins, Madeline. This game is based on the myth that if one twin feels something, the other feels it as well. The doctor is concerned that if Madeleine becomes ill, so will her brother, Roderick. You search the estate grounds to try to locate Madeline. The characters are creepy including the brother Roderick and the "mother" figure, Estelle along with her one-red eyed cat.

There are three levels of play plus a customized version. Thank you devs for providing us the opportunity to customize this game. There are buildings throughout the game in which to collect coins. Using a magnifying glass you locate the coins and with them you are able to purchase items for the laboratory. After you have collected all the lab equipment, you are able to analyze data and solve a completely different murder mystery - "a game within a game. " How clever and innovative!

Again, as with the games we have had in the past from this dev, you have an office in which you can see your accomplishments throughout the game. I absolutely love the puzzles. You have the choice to either play them in the "casual" or "hard" mode. This is brilliant and should now appease both those who like their puzzles insanely difficult or very easy. The graphics are beautiful as usual for this dev. The HOP scenes are interactive and well done. You also have the option to play a Match 3 game.

I rate it 6 stars out of 5 stars for a CE. This game has all the bells and whistles. One of the best games from this dev in my humble opinion.

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 5:30:57 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 21, 14 5:51 AM
Good thoughtful reviews. You can tell I wasn't playing attention, because I didn't even use the camera (there was a camera? lol). Anyway, I liked the variations in HOP's, because I get bored to tears playing standard HOP's, so that kept my interest. The mini-games were mostly o.k., and I think I only skipped one, when my dyslexic brain found it too much to follow. For people who love/like Poe (I first read Poe when I was a child and have read most of what he wrote), this. is. not. Poe. Just keep that in mind. Other than the game's name and most likely at least some of the characters' names, this has virtually nothing to do with the real Poe's writing. However, it's a fun story, even if Estelle (I think that's her name) has a late 20th century hairstyle and a dress that Mrs. Danvers in Hitchcock's Rebecca would have been proud of. I.e., no one is dressed like any particular period. Oh and we are once again given men with hairstyles from the covers of bodice rippers. I had absolutely no idea what that very cartooney rat was there for - I clicked on it, watched it carefully while I did the magnifying glass thing - it does react to what you're doing and also reacts sometimes during the HOP's, but that seemed to be it. Very weird. At least the little mouse becomes a "trained" helper, searching for things. There were things in this game that happened for no good reason - like reanimating things,or having to find photos of a scene to bring it alive. A lot of extra and certainly ingenious tasks to accomplish, but -- why? Finally, right at the opening of the game, Dr. Scott actually called Dupin "Doopin," not Dyupahn, the French pronunciation, so that was briefly ridiculous -- this happens enough in games where names are pronounced in a variety of ways that I wonder who if anyone is responsible for oversight. Anyway, I ended the demo pretty unsure if I would buy it -- I have a GM full of unplayed games I'm slowly catching up on and I really don't need another game at present. Maybe I'll re-check it when it comes out as a SE. I tend to use the SG pretty rarely other than for help with collectibles, and this game didn't really have anything to find other than those gold coins, if I'm remembering correctly. I would recommend that people check out the demo and decide for yourselves -- certainly there are some fun aspects to this game.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 21, 14 3:35 PM

I own all the other Dark Tales... I will not be buying this one, however.

Detective Dupin is his 'usual' handsome self (with his understated yet distinctly exotic look) and the graphics are great (to a point, ie. why the Asian art thrown in [and out of proportion at that!?]... the gameplay, however, is a huge miss for me!

When I saw the tree growing in the entry way of the mansion it was a huge turn off and as I got to the point where the 'life giver or reinstate-er' or whatever-er came into the scene, I couldn't take any more :\ ... oh, eta: the rat on the inventory bar?! WHAT does that have to do with ANYTHING going on let alone Edgar Allan Poe's great work?

OMGosh... WHY do developers continue to spin off wildly nilly tilly into such ridiculously unbelievable/playable (for me) themes?!!! Poe's writings and the Fall of the House of Usher in itself (the true novel) would have been a great basis for a game... why mess with perfection?!

Sorry.... it will not be a purchase even as a SE... I simply could not get immersed in this crazy schematic of a game.

Edited on 03/21/2014 at 3:36:50 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Mar 21, 14 8:13 PM
Haven't even finished the "sample" game yet, and I am so confused as to what to look for, what to collect, who to talk to, etc, etc, etc. I have all the other "Poe" games, as I am a huge fan of Poe and alot of other Victorian writers, and some modern horror authors - come on, Stephen King? the greatest!! Anyway, I have about at least 20 minutes left of this game, cuz I just don't get some of it. I hate to say it, but so far, it DON'T CUT IT!! I will, however,continue to try this game at a future date. It's late here in NE Pa. and as tomorrow is Saturday, I will continue and post another review!!

feenix

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Mar 22, 14 6:32 AM
I have all the rest of Poe's games and really enjoyed them all but this one I will not be buying as a CE. I think I will wait for the SE and see if I can get into the game. For some reason I just didn't get excited about this game wish I could put my finger on why. Although nice enough it just wasn't my favourite but I'm sure most fishes will love it.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 23, 14 2:41 AM
Great Game, graphics was beautiful sounds was awesome, loved the story line..Thjx DEV's for all your hard work and time..I did buy the game I recommend this game..
THX BFG your the best,, 5 's
Have fun..Fishes in the pond..

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 26, 14 7:26 PM
Always love these Dark Tales: E.A.Poe...especially that "cheeky" detective...always a hoot. As always the graphics and annimations are just totally amazing.

These games are fun and loooooooooooooong...including the Bonus game. The main game ends a bit abruptly, but the bonus games has a definate ending.

Lots to do in these games...the locking inventory bar is interactive and the HOS are varied and very different. Mini games are a toss-up of easy and not so easy. I chose to have both the hint and skip refresh quickly...so I just skipped past the ones I didn't want to deal with....still the game was long.

Never used the camera...not sure what it was there for or what part it played in the game. And that cute rat on the left side of the inventory bar...thought at first it was one of those little "helper" animals you see in other games..but it wasn't. Try watching it...its pretty cute, but has nothing to do with the game.

Voice overs are great and the lips don't move so you don't have to worry about lips not matching words. Lots of things to collect and achievments if you are into that kind of stuff...I'm not so I can't judge what they are all about.

The transporter map is kind of sucky..only bad part about the game....you have to search around on the map which is too big for the screen so you have to move it around. Sometimes there are X to show you a new action, but otherwise you have to search through to find where to go next...I got to where I just used the hint to move around...got tired of wasting time searching all over the map. The game does have a lot of areas so be prepared to move around a lot. I did use the journal a couple of times, so it did have helpful information unlike other games with journals.

A definate 5 out of 5 in my book and I always look forward to the next one. Can't go wrong with this game if you want to have a good time. Just set aside some time.

Edited on 03/26/2014 at 7:30:39 PM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 28, 14 7:30 PM
This will be one of the few ERS games I won't buy. Even though I read negative reviews on here, I thought it was because of people's preferences, but now I understand why. What is the purpose of the rat? None. What is the purpose of the camera? Also none. And the many dollhouses where you have to find coins is just a waste of time.

I love, love ERS games and love this series, but this frankly, is the worse so far.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Mar 30, 14 4:08 PM
i wish that just once... once... ERS would follow the actual PLOT of the poe story they name their games after! now THAT would be a good creepy game!

this one is so full of fluff, cute pet mouse, coins... blah blah blah... that all distract from the actual --really CREEPY-- story.

but, it doesn't really matter, does it? the "story" isn't edgar allan poe anyway! yes, it has the twins with their proper names and KIND OF the same plot at the very beginning, but then it wanders way afield of the actual story. so, if you're a true fan of poe's writings, i suggest you read the book.

to wax philosophical, sometimes people lose their way and need to return to their roots.
i truly believe that this is what ERS needs to do... return to the style of games they first made for us... the REALLY creepy first puppetshow games, for instance.
i know they are trying to impress us with all the latest bells and whistles, but HONESTLY, sometimes less is more! i will await another game from their earlier style!

as for the graphics, mechanics, music etc? they're all the same too, game to game. nothing new here, so i will move along.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Apr 2, 14 12:47 AM
I love this series, I want to explain that up front. So I bought the CE without testing it, solely because of the April Fool's Day CE sale. I love these games, I love Dupin, and I expected that I would love this installment.

Well.

There was a lot about the game that I really really liked. I thought the story was terrific, the puzzles were good, and the voice acting was fine. I love the addition of alternate puzzles for when you're tired of hidden object scenes, and I really hope that's here to stay.

There was a lot about the game that I really did not like. I really hate it when characters speak their lines through closed mouths. Why couldn't they have animated speaking instead of giving us a pointless rat on our inventory bar? The camera served no useful function either; I understood its inclusion in Masque of the Red Death, where taking pictures of scenes let you jump back and forth with ease, but here you have a map. You don't have a single reason to bother with the camera, so why is it there? The dollhouse bit wasn't bad, but it got old fast, especially since collecting the coins to buy the equipment took about five times as long as solving the actual case.

Finding the photographs and inserting them into the scenes was interesting at first, but after a while it just kind of annoyed me. And what is up with the perspective in this game? I take a cymbal from a full-sized, modern drum set, and put it into the hand of a wind-up toy monkey? How does that make any logical sense? There were multiple instances of using items in ways for which they should have been too large or too small, and I thought it was kind of ridiculous.

For me, though, the biggest disappointment was Dupin. I love Dupin in these games, but his personality was different this time. He lacked a lot of his usual charm and suaveness. I really hope they bring back the usual personality next time, because I missed him a lot.

On the whole, I'm not sorry I bought the game and I really enjoyed the mystery a lot. But it just wasn't as good as I expected it to be, and I feel a bit let down.

Go to: