mamamaggie
Marlin
Marlin
9,501 Posts

very confused

[Post New]by mamamaggie on Mar 22, 14 7:53 AM
Sometime last week I received a beta of this game. However, since I was out of town and quite busy, I downloaded it to wait till I had about an hour to spare. Imagine my surprise and confusion to find that this game was a TGT today. I am totally gobsmacked. Weird.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

Re:very confused

[Post New]by sartasia on Mar 22, 14 8:56 AM
Given that you can DL the demos for any given new game weeks before it comes out on YT I don't know how much the Beta's are worth anymore. I still receive many and always try to get my surveys in but it does make one wonder...

dsik
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dsik on Mar 22, 14 8:59 AM
Same thing happened to me too. I just Beta'd this a few days ago. I guess I'm happy to see it out so soon, as I really enjoyed the demo and planned to buy. It is weird though.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 22, 14 9:45 AM
I also received the beta for this game only recently.

It occurs to me that one explanation may be that once the game is ready to be released, a final round of betas is issued, in the hope of catching those glitches that so often happen without warning when the game is released.

Stab in the dark, but maybe...

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Mar 22, 14 10:18 AM
JustTheFacts wrote:It occurs to me that one explanation may be that once the game is ready to be released, a final round of betas is issued, in the hope of catching those glitches that so often happen without warning when the game is released.

Yes, I've heard from Dev's that there's sometimes another beta, shortly before the release, mainly to test installation and such stuff. (but they don't always / necessarily change the survey questions, I believe)

Sammyk1ns
Marlin
Marlin
8,095 Posts

[Post New]by Sammyk1ns on Mar 22, 14 1:14 PM
Well I didn't get a beta of this game but did find a glitch - just as I was about to pour my gunpowder into the gun, my scoop of gunpowder had disappeared from inventory.

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Mar 22, 14 7:51 PM
Totally glitched. Half way through, and I am sent back to the beginning! No way back, and no way forward, unless I start all over again! Really???? I have tried 3 times now, and its beyond a joke.
Money back please?

Edited on 03/22/2014 at 7:53:29 PM PST

bwake47
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bwake47 on Mar 23, 14 6:42 AM
I've read comments like these from Beta testers regarding different games that have come out lately. Makes me wonder if the reason we are having so many games come out lately with technical problems is due to Devs not waiting and reading the Beta testing surveys? This could be the answer to why so many games are coming out with so many glitches...more profitable to put the game out there now and take their chances on the need for an update.

Just my thought.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Mar 23, 14 10:03 AM
Yeah, I got the Beta for this twice too. I didn't realize the 2nd Beta meant it was coming out so soon and also didn't have time to review it.

Thanks to all for letting us know about the glitches.

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Mar 23, 14 4:40 PM
What is a beta of a game? How do you get picked to get them? I have wondered this forever! Thanks for the information! Have a great week everyone!

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Mar 23, 14 6:26 PM
I got a beta for this one a while ago, did it and sent it in. Then I got a second beta for it on Thursday...the game was released before I could even do it! Kind of makes me wonder why the developers bother......I hope the first one was useful to them. From what I remember of the game I think I might wait for the SE this time around. Or a real 50% off sale.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 27, 14 12:10 PM
The betas that come from BFG test the game for the addition of the DRM software and to get ratings for the game (supposedly to decide whether or not it will be a Collector's Edition, but in reality, that decision has already been made). The game will be released usually in a short time frame.

If you get a Sneak Peek from BFG, that is an actual Beta of a game currently in development. So a long time may pass before you see the game released and it may have a different name once it is released.

Go to: