LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Do you think Free to Play games are designed to really be free?

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 22, 14 11:20 AM
Do you think Free to Play games are designed to really be free?

Are they designed to make money and be profitable on their own or are they designed as a means of advertisement to bring more players to Big Fish?

How much real money do you think the developers expect to get from each player?

As players we don’t know the cost of the development of this game. We can’t know their break even point so this is difficult to speculate. But as a player what would you think is a reasonable amount of real money to spend for the entertainment offered by this game?

This is the only FTP game I have played so my opinion is based on this game only.

If you spend $6.99 for a standard game and play for 5 hours, do you think a FTP game is worth the same for the same amount of time?

I don’t think so because this FTP game repeats the same areas and tasks over and over. In a standard game for each $6.99 you spend you get different stories, characters, locations, puzzles, adventures, HOS, etc. I think it is reasonable to pay some amount of real money to enjoy playing a FTP game but I’m not sure how much.

In a regular game I spend money to purchase the game to enjoy it and have the fun of the challenge. I am discovering that in this FTP game I spend real money to avoid frustration rather than to have fun and enjoy the game. It seems like I am buying my way out of not having fun rather than buying my way into having fun.

I also wonder if players keep track of how much they spend on a daily basis or only when their credit card statement shows up.

guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

Re:Do you think Free to Play games are designed to really be free?

[Post New]by guppies56 on Mar 22, 14 11:35 AM
Hi LizzieK,
Free to play is only there to reel you in, a popular game like MC actually costs far more (if you want to progress rapidly) than any CE extremely popular game actually costs.
My guess is that the average player has bought diamonds/coins that would be equivalent to at least 2 CE games.
They will make more money out of this than any regular game, which is annoying, because when 'free to play' games bring money into the equation, they should be tried and tested for glitches before money changes hands.

Bedazzles
Clownfish
Clownfish
567 Posts

[Post New]by Bedazzles on Mar 22, 14 11:56 AM
Lizzie..great question and very well thought out analysis of the difference between FTP games and more traditional games that actually have a definitive ending. Even the traditional games, once purchased you can choose to play over and over if you truly did enjoy it. Just for example one game I started a new player on was Return to Mysterious Island(Available on BF)after playing thru once I thought now that was an awesome game, as was the sequel..imo.
I have been playing MC now for about 2 months…and I hate to admit it but almost nonstop during my free time…I have made 2 purchases of diamonds at $19.99 with game club discount $13.99 so I have spent almost $28 for this game.(just a note..have not bought any other games during this time) I would not mind at all to spend about $13.99 per month to play if I am enjoying the game! That is approximately 50 cents per day…but once the game becomes too repetitive to play the desire to spend additional money decreases drastically and I will move on to the next game. This was the case with Found A Hidden Object game(also Elephant)..once you complete all the quests there isn’t much of a draw to play. That is how I found this game..I was bored stiff with Found after the Christmas update ended and came across MC. I will continue with Found once they add new content because I did enjoy it and played for about 5 months. MC castle up to the added content kept my interest and desire to play…this new content however is extremely repetitive and has crossed over to the boring side. I have figured out how to get all the items needed to proceed it is just boring to have to do the same thing over and over and over. There are just way to many items needed to craft to gain a tiny piece of one quest!! They should have broke it down into smaller quests so we would at least feel the sense of accomplishment.
I love the 1st 18 levels of this game and even level 19 wasn’t that horrible..but level 20 and especially level 21 is just plain overkill. I truly do not want the developers to continue with overkill cause it will just kill the game…we have formed a very large Midnight Castle family here and they should take our suggestions into consideration so we will continue to play for many months to come!!!
Bedazzle

luvmigame
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by luvmigame on Mar 22, 14 11:57 AM
I really don't mind paying for objects I want in the game. I limit myself to the budget I have for Collector's Editions during any one month. Since I haven't purchased a CE since AK and MC came out, I think I am actually ahead of the game. I don't spend on a daily basis. I stock up on coins and crystals during a sale.

I do agree with you though about why I am spending real money on this game. I do use my stash to avoid frustration, but that leads to more enjoyment. Hope there is another sale soon. The stash is getting dangerously low.

I am at level 21. I haven't purchased anything with real money in two weeks. I am so confused, frustrated, angry and annoyed by all this compound crafting that I am protesting, in my own small way, by not paying for anything. This means that I can only play for a few minutes before running into another brick wall. So I contacted my son and he walked me through how to set up another user on Windows 8. I started over. So there! Ha! Citizens Unite!

SARAHBEE
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by SARAHBEE on Mar 22, 14 12:09 PM
I suppose how much one player spends depends on how they play the game

This is my 3rd game and I have played each one differently with differing costs
On my first game I spent £7.19 /$9.95 all on diamonds, I reached level 17 with over 100,000 coins and all 7 pets (as it was pre 10.03 update) active including Pegasus. I then sat in a holding pattern with this game not risking being locked out on level 18
My second game I had running at the same time which I only played once a day as a food source for my pets I think I reached about level 9 with no assets I didn,t even open the dice game, airship or fortune wheel
Unfortunately on 5th March my system picked up a bug (not BF related) which 2 local experts could not remove and so we invested in a new PC (ours was about 8 years old anyway with lots of little bugs)
My current game I have been playing since 08.03 and I am on level 15 with 26,500 coins, 119 diamonds and owl/dragon/griffin and cat as pets. I have not spent any money on this game and at this moment in time I do not plan to. If things start getting a little tighter I have set myself the budget of $6.99 a month as this is what I would normally spend on a new game every month
I don't know of any FTP game that is really free to play if you want to progress speedily. For me with MC- even playing at a more relaxed pace -the thought of things to come (if PETR 360 is to be believed!!) keeps me going when I hit a wall and start to get fed up

Sarah

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Mar 22, 14 12:43 PM
I play this, My Singing Monsters and Farm Up, I have spent nothing on any of them. I would rather play at a normal pass, than advance quick. It just depends how fast and how far you want to get in a game. I think it takes the fun out of buying in game purchases to advance.

cynththemoler
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,948 Posts

[Post New]by cynththemoler on Mar 22, 14 1:41 PM
I don't think they are designed to be really free; but if they are advertised as free to play then I think they should be completely free. I have not spent anything whilst playing this game.

Having said that this is one beautifully designed game, as we have said in another thread, so really the dev's do deserve some monetary reward.

I am just grateful it is free because I can no longer spend the amount I used to on games; so thank you very much BF and Elephant games.

GogaO
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by GogaO on Mar 22, 14 1:58 PM
Everything is made for money, only the children are not.
If this game is a free game, that does not depend on developers but on players.

In my opinion, this is the best free game I've ever played and I am very grateful to the developer. We can play it for months.

For this reason I don't like when players all the time demand this and that from the developer. It is okay to ask Elephant for fixing bugs and glitches, but everything else is not.
Elephant created that game, not we.

Please excuse my bad English.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 22, 14 2:46 PM
GogaO,
Don't worry about your English, what you mean was very clear. I agree with you that complaining about bugs and glitches is OK. We can certainly make suggestions to the developers for what we would like to see or what causes us not to want to play, as that would help them know what their audience wants. But, there are too many people complaining that they aren't getting everything they want right now, and many of them are not paying anything. I think that we have gotten a wonderful game that can be played well without spending any money, so that qualifies as free to play in my opinion. Nobody called it "free to play 24 hours a day and make immediate progress all the time". I have seen other free to play games where you can only play for a very short time, then you have to wait hours or a day to get enough energy or points to continue. MC is so much better quality that I'm happy to play as much or little as the game allows. What other entertainment can you get for free and spend months playing?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 22, 14 3:04 PM
I think that the posts in this forum have been very constructive. Leaving feedback for the developers about how we feel when we play the game will help them develop future levels that will keep experienced players in the game and attract new players to the game. Without our feedback the developers might create future levels that would make the game unsuccessful and I don’t think any of us want that.

The posts here are food for thought, hopefully for the players and the developers, and it gives us something to do while the HOS in the game refresh.

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Mar 22, 14 4:20 PM
hi lizzie, i think ftp games are designed to hook people in and get them spending money to level up faster, however if you resist the urge to do this you can actually play for without spending anything. I have not and will not spend anything on this game, the only game i used really money on was tiny tower on my iPhone - i spent 99 cents on some tower bux, but will not do it again! owever for all of us who don't spend any money, i am sure there are heaps more who do, so the devs get their reward!

GogaO
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by GogaO on Mar 22, 14 5:58 PM
rosiebvt wrote:GogaO,
Don't worry about your English, what you mean was very clear. I agree with you that complaining about bugs and glitches is OK. We can certainly make suggestions to the developers for what we would like to see or what causes us not to want to play, as that would help them know what their audience wants. But, there are too many people complaining that they aren't getting everything they want right now, and many of them are not paying anything. I think that we have gotten a wonderful game that can be played well without spending any money, so that qualifies as free to play in my opinion. Nobody called it "free to play 24 hours a day and make immediate progress all the time". I have seen other free to play games where you can only play for a very short time, then you have to wait hours or a day to get enough energy or points to continue. MC is so much better quality that I'm happy to play as much or little as the game allows. What other entertainment can you get for free and spend months playing?

You're right rosiebvt. :-)

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 22, 14 6:51 PM
I think, if no one paid to play the FTP games the developers would not create them. It is good there are both types of players, the ones that do not pay and have lots of patience, and the ones that do pay to progress a little faster.

My concern with this game is that the game play at level 21 is so extremely layered with crafting and the game moves so slowly that the people who pay to move at a little faster pace may lose patience with the tediousness of the new part of the game and leave the game because they don’t want to spend so much money. If that happens and only the very patient people who spend no money in the game are left, then the developer will not be happy.

Edited on 03/22/2014 at 6:52:45 PM PST

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 22, 14 7:33 PM
Well said, Lizzie,
That's where the "notes to developers" thread will hopefully be useful. This is the perfect example of letting them know where they are going to be losing customers. We need to keep the criticism constructive, so we end up with a better game in the end. You're right about the two groups of players who are, I assume for the most part, happy playing this game aside from glitches. The unmentioned third group are the ones with the problems.

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Mar 22, 14 7:52 PM
I also agree that MC is a great game and is worth some sort of monetary payout. I've enjoyed all of th BF games I've purchased. I have not played another game though since I started MC. I'm addicted to it and am willing to spend monthly what I would normally spend on a game. The game can be played totally free so it is not false advertising.

Go to: