moving your current game from 1 computer to another?

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Mar 27, 14 5:47 PM
Does anyone know how your current MC game can be moved from an old computer to a new one? I'm currently running Windows XP and I'm told it won't be a good idea to keep playing online after mid April as Microsoft is not going to support XP anymore. I don't want to start a new game and lose my current game. My new computer will be running Windows 7 as I tried Windows 8 a year ago and hated it.

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,168 Posts

Re:moving your current game from 1 computer to another?

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Mar 27, 14 6:07 PM
My suggestion is to contact Tech support and ask. Make sure to include your friend code. But I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think that the answer you will get is that at this time there is no real way move your game. It would most likely have to be done manually by the developers. And there are STILL players locked out or who have glitched games that have a higher priority on the manual fix list. I hope I'm wrong though. Good luck!

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Mar 27, 14 6:12 PM
Microsoft won't support XP but I think that just means you won't get updates anymore. If you can't get it moved (which I'm pretty sure you can't but don't quote me) I would not worry about keep playing on your computer if it's working and you have at least Internet Explorer 8 on it. IE 8 is the most current version that will work with XP.

My old XP machine still works fine with DSL but I tried giving it to my mother who has cable and the cable is too fast for it and bogs it down. Ended buying her a new one with Window 8.1 on it and she is ready to cry. It's just too much for an 87 year old to take in when she never really knew her way around a computer.

I'd like to know where you found a Windows 7 machine. I tried buying a new W8.1 with a Window 7 partion and was told they don't sell it anymore so they couldn't add it to the Windows 8.1 machine. I do not want windows 8. I'm using W7 right now and love it but the computer is getting old.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Mar 27, 14 6:36 PM
I am using XP and plan on using it. I just follow steps that I have seen on sites. Like use a limited access account, that way no one (hackers) can install something on your computer, like malware or anything like it. Limited time to regular account for updating antivirus/software. Disconnect from internet for non internet usage. Stay away from internet explorer since it will not receive future patches. Use Google Chrome or Firefox. I seen a article where google is going to support XP a year after April 8th.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Mar 27, 14 6:41 PM
Amerzone wrote:I'd like to know where you found a Windows 7 machine. I tried buying a new W8.1 with a Window 7 partion and was told they don't sell it anymore so they couldn't add it to the Windows 8.1 machine. I do not want windows 8. I'm using W7 right now and love it but the computer is getting old.
Go to the computer companies websites (Dell,HP). I have seen them only available online and they are reasonable priced.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Mar 27, 14 7:04 PM
It maybe possible to move the game save. It would have to be transferred on to a flash drive. But since it is a new OS, it may corrupt the save data. I just moved mine from my Admin/Owner Account to my Limited Access Account. Everything is up and running, same location and no problems. I only access my Admin/Owner Account to update games, software, antivirus updates/scans and defragging the hard drive.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 27, 14 7:11 PM
I saved my profile from my game on my home computer and loaded it on my work computer. Now I can play at work during lunch and at home and it is the same game and my progress is on both computers. When I get home from work any progress I made at work is also there at home because it is saved on the BFG server.

You need to first save your game profile to a flash drive if you are not going to have both or your computers on at the same time.

Set your preferences on your computer to be able to view hidden files.

To save your current profile go to:
C:\Users\your user name on your computer \AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle

Save the folder Midnight Castle (it has 3 files in it) to another place such as Documents on a computer or a flash drive.

When you have your new computer running go to Big Fish and download Midnight Castle and your BFG game manager will install. Start the game and if it starts you back at the beginning it will still create a Midnight Castle profile in your AppData. Then you can get the file you saved from the flash drive and copy it over the new profile at
C:\Users\your user name on your computer \AppData\Roaming\Elephant Games\Midnight Castle
then you will be back where you were in your old game with all your progress.

Edited on 03/28/2014 at 5:27:15 AM PST

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,168 Posts

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Mar 27, 14 7:24 PM
Very useful information LizzieK. I will try it with one of my games that is on my desktop computer. The desktop is annoying to use so I don't do more than send gifts to friends from it. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks so much LizzieK!

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 28, 14 3:51 AM
Thank you Lizzie K. My laptop is on the way out.

Would this work from Vista Home Premium to Windows 8.1 or does it have to be the same kind of software?

Cheers,

Trixie Belle

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 28, 14 5:26 AM
As long as you can find where your saved game profile is you can copy it over the same file when you install Midnight Castle on a new computer. I don't have Windows 8 but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You will have to set your preferences on your computers to be able to see hidden files in order to find your profile.

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Mar 28, 14 5:48 AM
Be careful when copying your current profile that you do not go back into your game and play some more after saving it. Copy as soon as you can to your new machine.

I'd been saving my profile all long for my new game. I thought that I could overwrite my current profile with an older one if I ran into problems while playing the game. It does not work.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 28, 14 6:00 AM
I copied the game profile I have on my home computer to a flash drive then installed a new Midnight Castle on my computer at work. Then I copied the profile to the new game before I played the new game and it worked for me. My games at work and at home must be on the same BFG server since my progress I make at work shows up on the game I have at home.

You can always contact BFG tech support and ask them how to save your game with your progress to a new computer. They are the experts.

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Mar 28, 14 9:44 AM
Amerzone wrote:Microsoft won't support XP but I think that just means you won't get updates anymore. If you can't get it moved (which I'm pretty sure you can't but don't quote me) I would not worry about keep playing on your computer if it's working and you have at least Internet Explorer 8 on it. IE 8 is the most current version that will work with XP.

My old XP machine still works fine with DSL but I tried giving it to my mother who has cable and the cable is too fast for it and bogs it down. Ended buying her a new one with Window 8.1 on it and she is ready to cry. It's just too much for an 87 year old to take in when she never really knew her way around a computer.

I'd like to know where you found a Windows 7 machine. I tried buying a new W8.1 with a Window 7 partion and was told they don't sell it anymore so they couldn't add it to the Windows 8.1 machine. I do not want windows 8. I'm using W7 right now and love it but the computer is getting old.

I bought a used machine from a local computer house but I see new ones online at Amazon, etc. My IT department at work says that it's the security aspect of your data on your equipment that the discontinuing of support will affect. Your local computer builder will be able to help you out with that. I hated the Windows 8 and I suspect that the reason I didn't have any issues with the MC game when the new update came on was because I hadn't reached level 18 and I was running XP. Most of the computer people I've been talking to had been installing XP on the machines they were building because the system was more robust than any of the newer systems that Microsoft has come up with.

Necromage
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Necromage on Mar 28, 14 6:15 PM
Is there a way to run two games on the same computer?

I made a second Big Fish account but can't find a way to use this second account to open a new game on the same computer.

Does it mean all those with more than 1 game are using more than one computer to play?

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,168 Posts

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Mar 28, 14 6:19 PM
You have to make a new user account on your computer rather than a new BF account. On Windows systems you go to your "Control Panel" and look for "User Accounts" to set up a new one.

Go to: