TGT Sea Journey

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

TGT Sea Journey

[Post New]by Elkestra on Mar 22, 09 1:00 AM
Yey!!!! It's arrived on BFG

For those who don't know, it's a battle-match3 game, similar to Puzzle Quest (but from playing the demo a few weeks back, I'm tempted to say it's better than PQ).

There was a thread about it on these forums a couple of weeks back, and Gamezebo has a pretty good review of it, if anyone is interested.

hilyer25
Marlin
Marlin
9,083 Posts

Re:TGT Sea Journey

[Post New]by hilyer25 on Mar 22, 09 1:08 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info, Elkestra!

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 22, 09 1:11 AM
I just played most of the demo, really enjoying it though I'm not quite certain how all the battle stuff works lol I'm always too eager to actually play a demo to read the instructions very well. I think Poodlebear recommended this game too.

Any idea how long it is?

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 09 1:41 AM
EDIT: I want it clear I no longer endorse this game:

I revoke my Poodle Approved!

I'm so hoppin' mad right now I could spit. After my touting this game all over the place, absolutely loving it up one side down the other, to get to the LAST FREAKIN' BATLLE and have it be timed?!?! When the rest of the game wasn't? To have it taken out of the realm of strategy and thinking and into a frakin' quick click reaction frenzy that where facile mind might as well turn off and crippled hands can not hope to complete?!

Plan on writing the developers and repeating this, but had to vent here because I had said so many good things, probably leading those who can't do fast clicking but enjoy Match 3 down the garden path, and this makes me feel so bad I was duped (by developers, not ) into buying something I can't finish. How can you justify changing the mechanic of an entire game in the last moment?!

So mad. So dissapointed. So sad.

-------------------Original post no longer valid----------------------
WOOHOOOOO! *happy*fin*dance* *happy*happy*fin*dance*

I LOVE this game and am just thrilled I waited, which was not easy, after demoing elsewhere.

Yes, I did recommend and actually started a topic about it a while back when I first demoed I loved it so much. Super good Match 3 battle TURN BASED WITH NO TIMERS! Which mean you can actually strategize (aka think!) about how to match to maximize what's happening for you and minimize what they can do to you. ...and yet, manages to be very exciting even though really you have all the time in the world. Not sure if there will be more to the mini-games. At where I am now just the most simple Concentration type, but who knows.

Super graphics, great music and sound, amusing translation , a dreamy picture of the captain (very Jared Leto, no?) and as I see it, even though there is a story, nearly endless playability because of chance and different ways to strategize power-ups etc.

The only things I'm a teensy bit negative abt. is the AI is pretty dumb (but that works in my favor) and it's far to quick to suggest a move, and those are often as dumb as the opponants.

Super enthusiastic Poodle Approval!

Edited on 03/22/2009 at 5:58:14 PM PST

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 22, 09 3:14 AM
Wow Poodle! Downloading now!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 09 3:17 AM
More info:

Yes, there are other mini-games: a shell game (follow the thing with your eyes and it's mixed with others) and a click as things fly by. These are not particularly challenging but a nice break in the action and pleasing with nice graphics. Even though the 2nd is a "quick click" type game I was not stressed as just playing for more gold.

First dissapointment: I was able to buy what appears to be the best ship very early on. I would have liked to see more ships become available or have to take longer to earn the gold to buy them, or maybe be able to add additional ships to build a little fleet like in Tradewinds. As it is gold has become kinda moot at this point.

Still loving this, though, and I know it's one of those if I'm not careful the sun will come up and I'll still be playing.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Mar 22, 09 4:45 AM
Wow, an arcade game with no timer. I wanted to like it. I really did. I played it for almost the full hour. BORING! At least, it was for me.

froggie10
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by froggie10 on Mar 22, 09 4:55 AM
I was going to buy this game, but half way through the Demo it stops playing ! it is the opponent turns and nothing happens the curser has the red circle with the line thru it and he has 2 turns left,I started with a different name and it played fine? I went back to the first game and it won't play any suggestions?I don't want to use up a credit if I can't play it,I was really looking forward to this game as I love PQ

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 09 5:30 AM
froggie - contact support via the little green envelope on the side of this page or thru the blue ? Help button up in the top right hand corner. If you are a member of Game Club you can do live chat but that's only available at certain times during the work week. They are the best folks to try to figure out why you're having troubles.

Good luck!

I could never get Puzzle Quest to run, can't remember if I contacted support about it, though they've been very helpful with others.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 22, 09 5:35 AM
Well, done the demo. Still don't understand what I am supposed to be achieving!! Is it gems, coins or wheels? Is it best to bomb them? Sorry but this has a rather large question mark on her forehead!!!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 09 5:41 AM
The wheels help you manuever so you don't get hit as much when they fire. The gems fill in your power-up special attacks over on the side. Each kind of ship has different power-ups and talismans you get along the way effect that too. The coins help you buy bigger ships (which allow you to equip more talismans as you get them) and the scrolls give you more experience which you can use to customize your strengths, though by about 3/4 of the way thru the game you will have these all filled in and have the biggest ship, so eventually it's more about keeping the other guy from getting what he needs and getting gems and bombs.

Any clearer ?

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 22, 09 5:45 AM
Well its clear as mud but gonna go for it! Thanks for your explanations,maybe it will make more sense when back playing it! - Or maybe just having a "dumb" day!!!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 09 6:15 AM
Part of the problem is the translation isn't very good so it's hard to understand what things do exactly. For example before each battle you choose which type of ship to use. Each type says something like, "uses green gems the most" which I took to mean would maybe get more or could do more with them BUT it really mean *needs* more so if you are using a Guardian ship, concentrate on green gems, a Corsair on red. Then your power-ups will be ready more often.

As you go along you get more power-up special attacks. You can find out what these are by mousing over them in the lower let corner where the gems fill up the meters. It's also a good idea to mouse over your opponants talismans by their gem meters as it will help you know which gems to take away so they don't get them or like if they have the talisman that will hurt you when you pick up gold and things like that. Remember, even tho it feels kinda frantic nothing happens until you take your turn. So look at stuff and think it out a bit.

...am I making it worse...?

Anyway, it took me a while to get a clue as to what was going on, and still not clear on al of it, but haven't died yet so don't think it's super crutial.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 22, 09 6:19 AM
Thank you so much Poodle Have played some more and bought it now. Always tend to relax more into a game when its mine! You see its not only the timers on the actual games that can stress you out!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 09 6:29 AM
Hey, no problem!

I'm nearly at the end of the first go through the story and the battles do get a little on the epic side but by then you've had lots of practice. I'm looking forward to trying my luck using some of the other ships as I've pretty much stuck it out with the Guardian so far. Tried the Spectre (once unlocked) for a bit but it's trickier. Lots of re-playability here, methinks.

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Mar 22, 09 7:31 AM
Just finished the game.... sad to say, the final battle (puzzle) does turn into a bit of a arcade speed-click fest, though thankfuly its not too bad.

Didn't manage it the first time, but the second time was fine.

I'm glad that my one worry wasn't a problem - when you first get your skills maxed, best ship, and most of the talismen, as long as you pick the talismen sensibly, the first few fights after that seem terribly easy. Thankfully the opponent skill level seems to increase again after that, I actually found some of the last battles quite challenging.

[Edit] Oh, and yes, I agree, I wish there had been more to do with the money etc. I know I had to wait til later on in the game to get the last few talismans, but I wish we could have had a bit more to buy/train - didn't stop me playing through to the end (the battles are more-ish), but it did give me pause when I got the biggest ship, and realised collecting additional coin was... pointless.

Edited on 03/22/2009 at 7:44:28 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 22, 09 10:38 AM

I, too, was disappointed that I had got the "best ship" so early and there was no more updates on anything forthcoming.

I was also really enjoying relaxing with this game UNTIL I came to the second Fort, it is the opponents turn and he has 3 moves available but ... because his "life force" is nonexistent ... he cannot move and the game has come to a complete and utter standstill. My "life force" is just a faint glimmer but at least you can see it with the naked eye, unlike his!

Help required in the shape of a patch or something please Divo Games.

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Mar 22, 09 10:46 AM
cherbtoo wrote:

I, too, was disappointed that I had got the "best ship" so early and there was no more updates on anything forthcoming.

I was also really enjoying relaxing with this game UNTIL I came to the second Fort, it is the opponents turn and he has 3 moves available but ... because his "life force" is nonexistent ... he cannot move and the game has come to a complete and utter standstill. My "life force" is just a faint glimmer but at least you can see it with the naked eye, unlike his!

I agree the game needs a patch since I had the same issue. I did find however that if I exited out of the game back to the main menu (not totally out of the game) and then returned it brought me back to the same point in the "battle" and the hiccup was fixed. Just thought I'd mention it in case it works for any one else having this issue until the patch/fix is issued.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Mar 22, 09 11:26 AM
Thanks all, I learned a lot, especially that who you play as are SHIPS, not PERSONS, also how the gem colors are supposed to work.

I'm still a bit unsure if this is a keeper for me, but at least I can go through the rest of the trial with some understanding.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 22, 09 11:28 AM
CynthiaV wrote:
cherbtoo wrote:

I agree the game needs a patch since I had the same issue. I did find however that if I exited out of the game back to the main menu (not totally out of the game) and then returned it brought me back to the same point in the "battle" and the hiccup was fixed. Just thought I'd mention it in case it works for any one else having this issue until the patch/fix is issued.

Sorry should have said that I exited the game completely 3 times and when I went back I was exactly at the same point ... STUCK

Just popped back and checked again ... STILL STUCK

Edited on 03/22/2009 at 11:38:21 AM PST

Go to: