bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

Tips and Tricks for Ancient Quest of Saqqarah

[Post New]by bfgErie on Jun 30, 08 10:40 AM
Tiles Left On The Ground – Once you complete a board, any left over broken tiles on the floor are converted to gold coins. Try to finish the board with a lot of rubble on the ground to earn big points.

Use Khufu’s Magic – Complete as much of the board as you can in the beginning, but keep your eye open for opportunities in the trickier areas of the board. Sometimes the best way to complete the board is to charge up Khufu’s magic so he can clear these tough parts for you.

Need More Tips? – After you complete each board, you are given a summery of your score and a hint. There are also arrows on either side of the hint that you can use to look at other tips that will help you through the game. Keep in mind that hints change from temple to temple, so take a moment to look them over when you start a new temple.

These are just a few ideas that will help with Ancient Quest of Saqqarah. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to see them and I'm sure other folks will as well. Post them all below.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Tips and Tricks for Ancient Quest of Saqqarah

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 08 4:07 PM
There is one tip that is very important when playing Saqqarah. It is used throughout the game in every level and in every temple. The tip is basic but it’s not actually pointed out in the tutorial rules (at least I didn't see it). I guess the game creators had to leave something for us to figure out on our own.

When each puzzle grid appears on the screen there are lines between each grid space. The object of the puzzles is to fill in or illuminate each grid space. You can tell when each space will illuminate by watching the lines between the grids. The lines will turn white when they have been cleared. When all the lines around a grid space turn white, it will illuminate. It is important to know this so that when you have a choice of how to move, explode, drag or match in the puzzle, you can focus on the lines that are not white yet.

It took me a while to figure this out. I’m not very observant. I kept making matched and blowing up things but the spaces just wouldn’t clear for a long time. I didn’t realize that I was making a match on one side of a triangle or square and was leaving one side intact. You can see it very clearly in the Anubis temple. That is the temple where you drag over 3 or more tokens to make them fall. Watch you drag path and be sure to drag over the lines that are not white when you can. The same concept is true in the other temples but the method is different, depending on the match 3 method of that temple.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 08 4:31 PM
To break an Ancient Padlock, which is a colored lock, you normally would need to make a match of that color over the path line where the colored lock is. If you have a green lock, then green tokens need to be in the spaces on both sides of the lock when you make the green match of 3 or more tiles.

However if there is a charged token of the same color as the lock right next to the lock and you match that charged token, it will break the lock, even if the match is not directly over the locked line path.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 08 4:34 PM
The Dark Symbol of Seth is the new enemy in level 3. Whenever this symbol is on the board you can’t light up any of the spaces. You can break locks and chains but you can’t fill in the background and clear the spaces. You have to get rid of this symbol by using charged exploding tokens right next to it or sometimes Khufu’s magic will clear it. The shuffle will not clear it.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 3, 08 4:38 PM
Game difficulty level three - higher level strategy

I have found that in the higher levels strategies that worked in the lower levels are not very effective. One of the most valuable things in the higher levels is Khufu’s magic. If you can’t get to a part of the board or can’t make a move where you need to, sometimes the only way is to keep making matches where you are so Khufu can gain power and help.

In the higher levels of Sobek it is almost impossible to clear the large fields of twelve that have to have all one color. So I have found that it works better to clear all the small fields then keep making matches over the smaller cleared fields to cause tokens to fall to the floor. Every five moves Khufu will charge one of your tokens with explosive power. Tokens fall to the floor when you make a match with a charged explosive token and when you make matches of more than three ordinary tokens. When Khufu does his magic if all the small spaces have been cleared his magic will go to the large area and clear it.

You can still try to clear the large field of twelve but they often get locked on the outside edge and those locks can’t be cleared with nearby matches, only with the shuffle. And if it’s a double lock it will take two shuffles. Khufu’s magic is usually quicker.

[Post New]by MissCyndi811 on Sep 1, 08 3:02 PM
Third Level of the Temple of Bast

In all levels you can avoid getting the angry face symbol by covering it with a token when you see it about to materialize. (cover the mini size one)
But do NOT cover up The Dark Symbol of Seth when you see it evolving or you can not finish the puzzle. You must allow it to appear and then rid yourself of it the normal ways.

[Post New]by momzrbest on Sep 3, 08 5:21 AM
I've finally finished!!!! 14,773,208 points!!! The hardest ones? Absouletly Temple of Thot. I "thot" I would never finish it.
hint...I don't have relaxed version, so I use windows vs full screen mode. you can make a move, then click on your background, stops play, but still allows you to see the entire board and think of your next move. It is correct...the developers had a solved puzzle, then had it scrambled. So look at where some of the highlited areas already are. When you have the 2 sided color blocks..find where those fit first, then find where the least amount of colors go. I have had some that I have had to "restart" just to see if Im on the right track.

Temle of Blast...the first stages are pretty easy. The last couple of stages..took me awhile. Clear the locks, chains first. Then make as many matches as you can. Hopefully Khufu will help by blasting toekns for you.

[Post New]by WeissVixen on Sep 23, 08 3:57 PM
LizzieK wrote:However if there is a charged token of the same color as the lock right next to the lock and you match that charged token, it will break the lock, even if the match is not directly over the locked line path.
This also works if you have a charged multi-color token (the wildcard). It will break all colored locks adjacent to it, regardless of what you're matching it with.

Re:Conquering Thot

[Post New]by jroihl on Feb 2, 10 3:12 PM
As stated, the grids begin solved before we see them and then are scrambled once which is what we first see. After reading that I began restarting the grids I had trouble with. That means a new grid with pieces one scramble away from the solution. This is a better option than just scrambling. I am currently on level 52 an so far have not skipped any. I have gotten all by restarting those I was stuck on up to 3 times. Good luck.

lsmalplz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by lsmalplz on Jun 5, 11 10:07 AM
Thank you for the info re: white lines of grid - I could not figure out what exactly determined when I had cleared a block! One time I only had to hit it once or twice, the next a million times.

[Post New]by oneblondieone on Feb 6, 12 11:01 AM
Lizzie K, thank you for the pics you posted. It helped me tremendously, even though my colors and number of tiles was very different from you screen shots, just seeing the completed puzzle helped clear my mind block.

LobsterMann
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by LobsterMann on Feb 12, 12 2:46 PM
What does DIVINE COMBO mean? And what does it do? Doesn't seem much to me.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 13, 12 4:29 PM
LobsterMann wrote:What does DIVINE COMBO mean? And what does it do? Doesn't seem much to me.

I'm not totally sure how you get one, but I get this message when there's a big enough cascade occurring.

pogoscat
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by pogoscat on Apr 19, 12 5:56 PM
LissieK thank you so much. I was getting so frustrated with the Thot puzzles. The directions aren't the easiest to understand and your photos really made a difference.

Go to: