Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Riddles here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Apr 3, 14 12:43 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 04/03/2014 at 8:28:41 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Riddles here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 3, 14 4:50 AM
At Last! A Different Puzzler*****

BASED ON DEMO

This terrific new game looks good, sounds good, and offers us two different ways to put a mosaic-like puzzle together. And a little bit of an excuse for a story is in there as well. We are not talking monumental graphics and great crashing excitement and special effects, but the art is pleasant and unobtrusive. The background drops fit the ‘story’, which is told in brief, between sets of 10 puzzles, so it doesn’t really enter into the game.

The two types of gameplay are first: mosaics-style pictographs, or whatever name you know them by. They are grids with a set of numbers at the beginning of each column and row, which define whether a tile is filled or empty. From the beginning these grids are 10x10, so there’s no chance for a serious practice run, but the tutorial does go through the moves thoroughly. This game thankfully gives you five hints and allows five mistakes from the outset.

The second type of game is one I’ve not seen before, but I have seen one like it. Remember when you first got your Windows PC, and the only games on there were solitaire and Mine Sweeper? This puzzle is very like Mine Sweeper. Tiles on the grid have not only a number but also a colour, and the number indicates how many adjacent tiles are of that colour. The hardest thing about the game is getting used to the fact that the tile that is numbered is also included with reference to colour. Anyway, there is a very good tutorial that will set you straight on the rules. I found it a quite difficult game to play, though, right from the start, and I was grateful for the hints. These indicated ALL the tiles of the colour of the tile you select. Sorry, sounds convoluted. Just give it a try *grin*.

There are 100 puzzles in each category, but it is the same story and backdrop in each. The final mosaic pictures (which actually look like the thing they are supposed to be!) are not the same though.

A good challenging game, without being impossible, and a delightful much needed breath of fresh air in the “other games” puzzles genre.

I recommend this game!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Apr 3, 14 8:28 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Riddles here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Riddles.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Apr 3, 14 11:21 AM
Yay! A new type of puzzle game! I've played the fill-a-pix games on paper and on another website, but never with different colors. This type of game really makes you use your brain cells. The starting levels are easy, but I suspect they will get larger and more difficult. And the pic-a-pix (nonograms) puzzles, which we've seen many times before, look like they will also get more challenging. I'm very excited to especially see the fill-a-pix. The ones I've played so far in the game are well done. I think anyone who loves the puzzle type of game (like the nonograms) will love this new type of puzzle. The tutorial, I think, makes it pretty clear on how to play this new type of puzzle.

Anyone who loves puzzles should definitely give this one a try.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 3, 14 5:11 PM
Hey! Yeah! Thank you BF for a very cool, awesome game! We have a new term as well - "Pictomancer." For those who love these games - this a cool and noble title an done we will wear with BF pride! The Fill-a-pix is a new feature here, fishies. However, this is just another variation in the Sudoku series of puzzles. Also, using color is not too complicated. Just remember you cannot have a space between colors when filling in the grid. A definite use of a coupon and I hate to say it ---I like this game so much more than the CE.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 3, 14 8:20 PM
These games are not easy to find and I love them!! Unfortunately most have to small of grid to be fun. This one did not.!! Very easy on the eyes.

The ONLY thing I found that I didn't care for was the fact that you HAD to do the tutorial. I found it very confusing. Maybe someone that is not experienced in this type of puzzle could follow it but..... There is no way to skip or turn it off.

I am definitely buying this though. Loved everything else about it!

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

Re:I

[Post New]by moesart on Apr 4, 14 11:36 AM
[b [/b] I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME!
Especially the fill-a-pic. So different and calming. The other puzzle isn't as great as other games like Griddlers. It's not really clear what you X out. Instead of an X they put in the background which sometimes blends. Very confusing. I bought this and as I'm playing it shuts down right in the middle of a puzzle. I will post that in a technical problems.
I do recommend this game.

[Post New]by csagen623 on Apr 4, 14 2:34 PM
I just don't get how to do the fill-a-pix. I'm stuck in the tutorial but I can't move forward because I'm stuck. The squares with 4 red - which I completed - and 8 white has me shaking my head. I tried to fill in a variety of 8 white and nothing - when I click on the hint button it simply circles the 8 - help - confused!!

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Apr 4, 14 9:59 PM
csagen623, let's see if this will help. If not, I can try again to explain it on Sunday. I will be gone all day Saturday.

The numbers always are in the center of a 9 square box - three rows of three squares each. The number tells you how many of those 9 squares will be filled in, with the color that the number is. So, the white 8 tells you that there will be 8 of the 9 squares filled in with white.

You must do the box with the white 8 first. Think of the 8 as the middle square of a tic tac toe board. There are 9 squares, and one with the 8 is the one in the middle. Now, 8 of those 9 squares must be filled in with white. Which one is not filled in with white? The one with the red 4. The red 4 square is one of those 9 squares around the white 8. But because the 4 is in red we know that it must be red, not white.

Then, look at the square with the red 4. It is the center of its own set of 9 squares. But if you filled in the white already, then you will see that 5 of those 9 squares are filled in with white (the white 8 and the red 4 share 6 squares). So, the other 4 of the red 4's 9 squares must be filled in with red.

It will wind up being:

blank white white white blank
blank white xredx white white
blank xredx xredx xredx blank
blank blank blank blank blank

I don't know if that made sense. If not, let me know and I will try again. Or maybe someone else can.

Good luck!

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Apr 5, 14 12:35 PM
I'm enjoying this very much. It works perfectly for me so far (and I'm in the middle of the third location).

Re the tutorial, yes it's annoying that it can't be stopped / ignored / switched off, but it was a very short tutorial, and the way to get through it is to wait for it to finish each instruction and change the square or squares it want you to click to light blue, and then click the light blue squares.

A lot of the non-tutorial puzzles are very easy because they are symetrical, but after a while that advantage disappears and they become true puzzles.

I didn't try the other mode of play (which someone said is like minesweeper) because I like the normal style of play better than I ever liked minesweeper.

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Apr 7, 14 3:17 AM
Kamali, once you're done with picross levels try Fill-a-pix. It's not really Minesweeper, although for some people the board might look similar. It's a bit different than picross and very fun.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Apr 7, 14 3:02 PM
Tutor could not be turned off and as such it turned me off. Closed the game. No buy for me.

[Post New]by nycoffee247 on Apr 7, 14 10:48 PM
Please change the font to something clearer. As you get higher in the levels, and the print gets smaller its nearly impossible to tell the difference between a 3 and an 8. Very frustrating!

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Apr 13, 14 3:28 AM
Way, way too easy. I've played pic a pix and fill a pix on another website for years and years, and I got through 30 levels within the hour (including a bathroom break and answering text messages at the same time). Just not enough challenge for me. Not nice enough pictures, either, having gotten used to 100 x 100 multicolor images on the website. Think I'll pass on this and go play a few there.

shepherdmoon
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by shepherdmoon on Apr 25, 14 7:21 PM
I never thought I would like this type of game: I've passed over many similar to it without even trying them in the past. I went for this one because of the relatively rave reviews it was getting, and the fact that the colorful pictures intrigued me (usually these things are monochrome). Since I never really played this type of game before it was a steep learning curve for me, and during the demo I wasn't really sure what I thought about it. I decided to buy it anyway, and wow, after getting used to it and figuring out the tricks to solving the puzzles, this game has totally drawn me and made me completely addicted. I finish one puzzle, and swear it will be my last, and then the next one automatically pops up, and I immediately see some squares I can fill in right now.. and it draws me in and I can't stop--this is the case for both types of game styles (two games in one!), which I didn't expect: I hated the fill-a-pix at first because I didn't understand it, but slogged through it anyway and then loved it once I started to figure out the logic behind it. What a great, surprising find! I only wish there were more like it on Big Fish--the other similar Sudoku style games I've seen on here seem to pale in comparison. Maybe a sequel is forthcoming...

If I had to say one bad thing about the game, it's that the tutorial insists that you should never have to guess and there is only one solution to each puzzle. This is not true on some of them: I have gotten dots on every single number on several occasions (meaning they have the proper number of tiles marked for them), but still not completed the puzzle. In these cases I had to go around and search for ways that I could have done things differently, and it's usually just a matter of switching one or two tiles around. This is proof that there are multiple solutions to some of these, which is annoying. Otherwise, everything else about it is wonderful.

Edited on 04/25/2014 at 7:26:32 PM PST

Annxqz
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Annxqz on May 24, 14 1:36 PM
I like the game, but am very disappointed with the color combinations on some levels. I don't think I am color blind, but the yellow numbers to me are blurry and I am having trouble seeing how many are left in a column on the pic a pix. I like the difference on the fill a pix. I would like to be able to change the colors on those that are hard for someone of my age to see.

[Post New]by marg3949 on Jun 21, 14 12:04 PM
nantyglyn wrote:csagen623, let's see if this will help. If not, I can try again to explain it on Sunday. I will be gone all day Saturday.

The numbers always are in the center of a 9 square box - three rows of three squares each. The number tells you how many of those 9 squares will be filled in, with the color that the number is. So, the white 8 tells you that there will be 8 of the 9 squares filled in with white.

You must do the box with the white 8 first. Think of the 8 as the middle square of a tic tac toe board. There are 9 squares, and one with the 8 is the one in the middle. Now, 8 of those 9 squares must be filled in with white. Which one is not filled in with white? The one with the red 4. The red 4 square is one of those 9 squares around the white 8. But because the 4 is in red we know that it must be red, not white.

Then, look at the square with the red 4. It is the center of its own set of 9 squares. But if you filled in the white already, then you will see that 5 of those 9 squares are filled in with white (the white 8 and the red 4 share 6 squares). So, the other 4 of the red 4's 9 squares must be filled in with red.

It will wind up being:

blank white xredx white white
blank xredx xredx xredx blank
blank blank blank blank blank

I don't know if that made sense. If not, let me know and I will try again. Or maybe someone else can.

Good luck!

[Post New]by marg3949 on Jun 21, 14 12:05 PM
Thanks so much for the RED/WHITE tutorial tip! I, too, was stumped but now I get it.

[Post New]by tobious on Sep 6, 14 10:46 AM
I am on the 5th game in tower of winter fill a pix. only white for the color and I just can't seen to get it right. is there any one who has it completed that can tell me what the picture is of? maybe that would help. can't get to the next one till I get this one.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Sep 23, 14 1:41 PM
I've just sent you a PM tobious but forgot to say I think it's a snowflake if I remember rightly.

Go to: