Potato Salad!

bf_gamer
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Potato Salad!

[Post New]by bf_gamer on Apr 4, 14 12:30 AM
Am I the only one here who can't make a "perfect" potato salad? I cannot peel 3 potatoes within their time limit to save my life! I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but I don't like it! Do better utensils make me peel them faster or am I just going to have to face the fact I suck at peeling potatoes both in real life and the game?

Andreja88
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Re:Potato Salad!

[Post New]by Andreja88 on Apr 4, 14 5:44 AM
I had the same problem. At first I couldn't peel one potato within the time limit, but today I finally made perfect potato salad. Practise makes perfect. Just peel from top to bottom as quickly as you can and make sure you peel as much as possible at once.

[Post New]by andreeaw2000 on Apr 5, 14 12:19 AM
be patient, i've done it for a couple of times now

ronnancy
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by ronnancy on Apr 5, 14 6:28 AM
A perfect pairing spice did it for me

[Post New]by maggiesuzyq on Apr 5, 14 8:38 AM
yeah this sucks can't get it either am old so a little slower and don't have money to buy bucks just one of many dislikes with this game can do it on CAII or III just this one that wants money is the one not worth it.

[Post New]by maggiesuzyq on Apr 5, 14 8:38 AM
yeah this sucks can't get it either am old so a little slower and don't have money to buy bucks just one of many dislikes with this game can do it on CAII or III just this one that wants money is the one not worth it.

ali133
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by ali133 on Apr 6, 14 11:32 AM
It is really hard to peel those pesky potatoes! Holding the button down on the mouse helps a bit.. The perfect ingredient is peppercorn. Hope this helps.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Apr 6, 14 10:26 PM
The perfect ingredient for the potato salad is actually paprika...
And yes, it's like the toughest for me too. (Time wise, wontons are also really tough to make in time). Have managed to finish with 3 stars a few times but usually time ends before I finish the 3rd potato... so it's taking forever to reach level 3 on that one...

[Post New]by flameglimmer on Apr 6, 14 11:39 PM
Potato Salad actually has four different "perfect" combinations. Most foods have more than one.

[Post New]by rodneybear2 on Apr 7, 14 9:17 PM
I am on level 22 and Potato Salad is the only recipe I have available that I can not easily get 3 stars on. I hate doing it. I have come close several times. It is driving me nuts.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Apr 7, 14 9:34 PM
flameglimmer wrote:Potato Salad actually has four different "perfect" combinations. Most foods have more than one.

Really? Thought that once I find a perfect match I can stop trying others... Good to know...
So what are the other two?

[Post New]by flameglimmer on Apr 8, 14 5:44 AM
Garlic and scallions.

There's a couple threads where people have listed all the perfect combos, sorted by spice and by dish.

[Post New]by StarlaGish on Apr 8, 14 5:11 PM
Hold yr finger on the button & move mouse up & down as fast as, never stopping even as the potatoes turn over & new ones come in

Sizzy
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by Sizzy on Apr 8, 14 6:04 PM
I do what Andreja & StarlaGish do also, hold down the mouse button & be sure to go from top to bottom as fast as you can, starting at one side and moving over some with each swipe.

Also it doesn't have to be perfect, you can leave a little peel. So concentrate on peeling the most at one time and then go back for a spot you missed if needed.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Apr 9, 14 10:08 AM
flameglimmer wrote:Garlic and scallions.

There's a couple threads where people have listed all the perfect combos, sorted by spice and by dish.

Thanks!
I'm avoiding that thread on purpose as I like to figure it out for myself, or at least try but it didn't occur to me there can be more than one perfect choice so...
But I think it doesn't go for all recipes, some really do have only one perfect choice, as I really had to eliminate about all other choices to find the right one...

As for the potato salad... as I said, I have managed to get 3 stars on it a few times and today I got a quest for it so had to make a lot and again, managed to get 3 stars more and more times but I still think the timer isn't very fair on that one. If I manage to get 3 stars it's like no more than 2 seconds before time runs out and I'm pretty quick.
I think some dishes have this problem (like wontons - why half the time given for mac n' cheese?) But I guess practice does help...

ajhbanana
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by ajhbanana on Apr 14, 14 12:54 PM
I can't do it to save my soul! I can only get 1 maybe 1 1/2 done in the 25 seconds they give. and that is with the perfect spice and holding the button down and never stopping. so frustrating. I have had this goal for perfect potato salad for so long it is starting to make me mad!

Sizzy
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by Sizzy on Apr 15, 14 10:44 AM
Sorry those potatoes are giving you trouble ajhbanana, frustrating indeed. I think the most important thing is peeling from the very top of the potato to the very bottom with each stroke. The peeler only works with the down stroke, not both up and down. So maybe try going slower while peeling down the whole length of the potato to practice your aim, then speed up when you get the hang of it. Hope you get it!

If nothing works and you don't mind spending real money, you can always buy the boost that gives you extra time on the mini-games.

JB4510
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by JB4510 on Apr 18, 14 2:08 AM
Newbie here. I thought I'd never get that stupid potato peeled. Finally, found what works for me (I'm on desktop using a full size mouse). I'm right handed, so I hold down the mouse the entire time and swipe diagonally from top right to bottom left. At first I was going straight up and down and never got it. Now I can usually do it with one or two seconds to spare.

ajhbanana
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by ajhbanana on Apr 21, 14 10:23 PM
Just wanted to let you all know I FINALLY made a perfect potato salad! My brother after seeing me LOSE it (i was actually screaming at the computer!) pulled out the laptop that he uses as a register for his thrift shop and said here use this computer.

At first I just stared at him like why would his laptop make a difference, If i can't do it on my laptop, with the track pad, or the laser mouse, and I can't do it on my desktop with the wired mouse what makes his smaller laptop any different. Then he reminded me, it is a TOUCH SCREEN laptop. I didn't have to hold down any buttons, just wipe the screen with my fingers. I could peel the whole potato with 3 fingers at once, I swipe and it was time to turn I actually had 10 seconds to spare when I was done with all 3 potatos.

I did it 4 times in a row just to make sure it was not a fluke. from now one when I will do these types of mini games on the touch screen and save myself tons of frustration!

JB4510
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by JB4510 on Apr 22, 14 3:54 AM
Me too! I only just realized I can play my game both on my desktop and iPhone. Now I can peel those potatoes with five seconds to spare and save my wrist from carpal tunnel using the iPhone. It is so much easier for this one and several others. However there are some that I can't do on the phone at all. Just going to be a process I suppose of figuring out which ones are best on touch screen and which are best with mouse.

ajhbanana wrote:Just wanted to let you all know I FINALLY made a perfect potato salad! My brother after seeing me LOSE it (i was actually screaming at the computer!) pulled out the laptop that he uses as a register for his thrift shop and said here use this computer...... it is a TOUCH SCREEN laptop. I didn't have to hold down any buttons, just wipe the screen with my fingers. I could peel the whole potato with 3 fingers at once, I swipe and it was time to turn I actually had 10 seconds to spare when I was done with all 3 potatos.

I did it 4 times in a row just to make sure it was not a fluke. from now one when I will do these types of mini games on the touch screen and save myself tons of frustration!

Go to: