catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

After over 7 years a member...Goodbye BF.

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Apr 8, 14 9:13 PM
Well, thank you so much for NO Tech support! After all these years as a member, I have left Big Fish! I used two games credits to buy this game that I cannot play and have 2 game coupons in hand that I gave up. Since live chat was taken away, customer service is just non existent. What a shame. I have been loyal customer for over 7 years. Goodbye Fishes. :o(

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re:After over 7 years a member...Goodbye BF.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 9, 14 5:33 AM
Sorry to hear that you feel like that. Since are leaving you probably will not be reading this, but I thought I would post for any newer members who might feel lost when they have a tech issue.

The Mod staff for the boards is very limited now. Once a game has been out for a couple of days, users cannot expect to see them posting on the game threads much, if at all. Besides this, the Mods are not tech support and are not allowed to give tech advice other than to refer customers to very standard help articles and fixes, e.g. update drivers, etc.

If there is a tech issue with a game, customers absolutely need to fill out and send a tech support email to with a Dr Felix report (provides your computer specs). In my experience, I have always received a response back within 2 business days and customer service has always tried their best to help and make things right. In emails, try to be as descriptive as possible as to the problem so customer service can get back to you with some solutions rather than have to ask more questions. A pleasant tone doesn't hurt either. Give them a chance to help and they just might surprise you!

I agree that it does suck that there is no instantaneous solution to tech questions/issues any longer. And it would be nice to see the Mods pop in here and there more often as they used to, but it is what it is, and there is no reason anyone should lose credits/money on a game that won't work on their machine. It just takes an email nowadays.

Here is the address to the help page and the link to the tech support email form is on the bottom left of the page:

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/home

Good luck and happy gaming to all!

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 9, 14 6:12 PM
This is scary...are they "laying off people" ???

I PMd a mod with below question (and so far no reply)

"I have purchased over 350 games from BFG including a lot of CEs. What happens if (Heaven forbid) BFG goes out of business? I assume they will become unplayable?! Can there be a work around for this? Can I download something that will let me install game manager, even if BFG no longer exist, so I can continue playing my games in the future. "

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 6:14:35 PM PST

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 9, 14 8:48 PM
chumface wrote: This is scary...are they "laying off people" ???

I PMd a mod with below question (and so far no reply)

"I have purchased over 350 games from BFG including a lot of CEs. What happens if (Heaven forbid) BFG goes out of business? I assume they will become unplayable?! Can there be a work around for this? Can I download something that will let me install game manager, even if BFG no longer exist, so I can continue playing my games in the future. "

From what I understood, BF closed at least a portion if not the entire Cork, Ireland office last year and that office included some customer service staff. That's as much as I know on that issue. It's just my opinion, but I don't see BF going anywhere anytime soon. They have been expanding to mobile devices and social media platforms quickly and from what I can tell quite successfully, so I don't see that they would be in the sort of financial difficulty that would lead to the company folding in the foreseeable future.

BF has always promised that the games we buy are ours, no matter what. This promise was actually the deciding factor for me years ago on whether or not I wanted to start purchasing games here. I did not like the idea of "leasing" games and wanted to make sure I owned what I paid for. If I were you, I would email customer service and just ask them to talk to you about this. When the forum shift happened late summer last year, we were assured again that these games were ours no matter what. I am just not sure enough of what the actual mechanic is to be able to tell you here, and I don't want to say anything that is incorrect.

Again - just my opinion, but I would never ask a Mod anything (no offense dear Mods!) except things like, why did you delete my post and I want to report a term of use violation in this thread, etc. The Mods' job is really just to moderate and they aren't given a lot of leeway to speak for the company or to represent themselves as tech support. It's the same way on a lot of forums, not just this one. We used to get people like BFGHondo, who was the community service manager, posting here with company news, etc. But I haven't seen that kind of staff posting on these boards for a long time.

I didn't mean to scare anyone! Sometimes I see people post tech issues a week or two after a game comes out and they get frustrated that the Mods aren't answering. I just wanted to help people get answers and not feel stranded.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 9, 14 10:05 PM
well, thanks for answering...but, how do I put this? what qualifications do you have to answer this? are you a BFG employee? spokesperson?

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 10, 14 6:12 AM
LOL! No, I am not affiliated with BF is any way shape or form other than as a customer/member for about 5 years. No one has to accept my opinion with anything more than a grain of salt if they choose. At least no more than anyone else around here, regardless of their post count.

I have been reading these boards daily for that long and have read the press releases that have come out for the company and the board postings that occurred last August when the Chit Chat Corner was removed, the Cork office got closed, the BF Facebook page appeared to become the forefront of the social media/community focus, and the free-to-play games for mobile phones/tablets started becoming a stronger and stronger aspect of BF's business.

Since I read the new game pages daily, but do not actually play the games until sometimes a week or even a couple weeks after a game is released, I personally see the difference in Mod interaction on the various game pages from the release date and later. Feel free to do some sampling and see when the last Mod posts generally are after a game is released and how often you see them later than that on older game pages.

I have been an active member of many Internet forums over many years and one of my friends is a Moderator at another website, so I feel pretty comfortable being able to say what a Moderator's role is. The Mods are free to come in and correct me, but unless you report me for a TOU violation, I honestly doubt we will see them here (Mods - can you hear me calling? hee hee)

And BF themselves in the Moderator post that comes daily in every tech thread for every game page that gets posted, tells members the following:

"While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly. ...

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages. "

*continued*

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 10, 14 6:21 AM
So when I see people post a week or two after a game release that their game isn't working and the Mods aren't responding, I feel sad and hope they are not giving up without getting help. Hence, my post about how to contact customer service and a warning that you can't always expect a Mod to come in and respond to you once a game has been out for a while. That was my only goal. People are more than free to ignore that advice.

If you are interested in BF as a company, there are Company Info links at the bottom of these pages. It takes some wading through, but all the press releases are there, the corporate ones are interspersed with game announcements, etc. Or if you are in the U.S., your local librarian can probably point you to some company information databases the library subscribes to that give things like sales data, company profiles, etc., even for private companies like BF. And yes, I have looked at this company's profile on a couple of databases just out of curiosity. (I am a public historian and so sometimes I can't help myself.)

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 10, 14 8:17 PM
Customer service? Tech support? You're kidding right?

Even when you email them, they only copy and paste boilerplate information.

Once, when I described in detail what I had done to try to correct the issue I was having, the support person helpfully replied by suggesting that I do what I had just told her I had done. Obviously she had not even read my message. When I pointed that out though, she said she was sorry.

In my experience, unless the game has a true bug for the developer to address, the best you can usually hope for is that they may send you a credit for a free game.

Bartsister's comments are valid regarding providing a good description of the problem and a friendly tone.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 11, 14 6:32 PM
steve_san wrote:Customer service? Tech support? You're kidding right?

Even when you email them, they only copy and paste boilerplate information.

Once, when I described in detail what I had done to try to correct the issue I was having, the support person helpfully replied by suggesting that I do what I had just told her I had done. Obviously she had not even read my message. When I pointed that out though, she said she was sorry.

In my experience, unless the game has a true bug for the developer to address, the best you can usually hope for is that they may send you a credit for a free game.

Bartsister's comments are valid regarding providing a good description of the problem and a friendly tone.

The tech support and customer service is still good. They just finished helping me with a problem.
I never said Bartsister was unfriendly. I just asked his/her qualifications...remember the part in my question to him/her "how do I put this",meaning I did not want to offend.

Still worried about being able to play these games in the future if BFG goes "belly up"!

Edited on 04/11/2014 at 6:41:14 PM PST

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Apr 16, 14 6:33 PM
I have had excellent customer service from BF. I always send a Dr. Felix report with the problem I am having. Either they can walk me through a fix, tell me a fix is being worked on, or offer a coupon to use on a game that works on my system. I've been a member for 3 years, and have never been stuck with a game I did not like or could not play. The only thing I worry about is that "Free" to Play games are going to be the main focus instead of PC games. If that happens, I would have to leave, but hopefully there is still a market for those of us who don't want to pay to play a game, or play a game on a phone or tablet I can't see! Talk about hidden objects!

chevyqueen
Herring
Herring
303 Posts

[Post New]by chevyqueen on Apr 17, 14 9:25 AM
I am getting frustrated myself. It's not just BFG. Many companies are hiring people to handle "customer service" problems that do not have the right qualifications. I am trying to be politically correct and also don't want to offend anyone. A lot of customer services have been moved to places where English isn't the first language. I have a very pronounced Southern accent. I have had three different companies who couldn't help me because of language barriers. I finally had to email the home office for one company. As far as BFG going out of business, I do not see that happening anytime soon. In fact BFG is now advertising on the television. BFG makes their money off of people buying the games, not playing the free to play ones.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Apr 28, 14 11:29 AM
chevyqueen wrote:
BFG makes their money off of people buying the games, not playing the free to play ones.

On this my dear you are very wrong. Their lions share of profits are now moving to mobile games. Those "Free to Play" are 1: Not so free and 2:raking in big $$$. The reason CS is scaled back/ CCC is gone is because they are focusing on Mobile gaming and are now merely maintaining the casual game end. With distancing of themselves from the original casual gaming customer base they had built they have lost a percentage of casual sales. Thus the ever increasing sales that were until the change last year very less common. They are betting on casual gaming converting over to mobile.

Go to: