A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 8:35:13 AM PST

jmidge0217
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Warning

[Post New]by jmidge0217 on Apr 9, 14 12:57 AM
Warning! Do not buy this game without doing the free trial. As good as the concept looks there is no tutorial-vague hints & I found the actions almost impossible to accomplish.

Moon38
Clownfish
Clownfish
533 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Violett here

[Post New]by Moon38 on Apr 9, 14 1:16 AM
I agree. It's pathetic when you can't even play WITH hints. Dont do it folks. I wasted most of my free hour just trying to figure out what to do how to do it and where to do it. Not worth wasting money on.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 9, 14 1:43 AM
The Weirdest Little Game!***

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
A story told by comic book images alone, a heroine with purple hair and a surly attitude, (good) Dali graphics, strange eerie noises and no help anywhere. No goals, no task lists, no puzzle parameters. No map, no cute companion. Even the diary is not accessible within the game! What am I doing here? I have absolutely no idea.

The only reason I have any notion as to story is because I read the advertising blurb before playing the demo. This game is so totally out there, I cannot hope to do more than give you some impressions.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Liked the graphics. Very good anime-style (I am old and behind the times, so forgive me if that is the wrong term for it), fantastical, but clear, delicately drawn and detailed. The sounds include no voiceovers, no narrators, no character comments beyond a “nyup” and a shaking of the head. The music is pleasant enough, although a tad repetitious, and there are some cool sound effects.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Well, I was hoping you’d tell me! Holidays seem to be boring to our cute little purple heroine, until she spots a shiny object in a mouse hole. Now, me, I’d not be rushing to stick my hand into a rodent hole, but she’s young enough to feel no fear – which is just as well, because the minute she grabs hold of the amulet she is sucked into some kind of vortex that lands her in a surreal world in which she is the same size as a toothbrush. I don’t know what adventures lay in store for her, because I couldn’t play well enough to find out more than a few bits and pieces.

GAMEPLAY
This is where I come undone. I just haven’t got the knack for these sort of games, but I have some friends more advanced in adventure gameplay than me (yes, you know who you are) who I am sure would tell me this is not an overly-difficult adventure game, just a little quirky. Forget looking for any kind of structured puzzles, mini-games or HOPs. The puzzle is every step you take, the mini-game is the movements you must make with your cursor to make the objects you need available. It’s this last that gets me. I just can’t make my cursor swing back and forth or whatever in the correct way to achieve anything. Another minor (*says with an almost straight face*) difficulty for me is I don’t think outside the square very well, and this game doesn’t have a square!

Each location (I only managed to get to 3) has exactly 4 hints available in the form of mini-drawings of what you need to do next, and that’s about it. No skip of any kind of course, because there’s ‘no’ puzzles. And that little shake of the head when you do something wrong.

COMBINED IMPACT
A quirky little game for seasoned full-fledged adventure players. Perhaps too, for those expert and even intermediate HOPA players desperate for something truly new. But I can’t play it, I don’t have the skills or the patience, and as I think my tastes are fairly mainstream, this game will not appeal to many fishies. Probably a very good game of its type, that I cannot recommend, unless you fit one of the above categories.

Oh, and somebody? Anybody! Would you please get me out of the bathroom, it’s creepy in here! I can’t find the soap, and I’m starting to feel like lunch!

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Apr 9, 14 1:50 AM
I agree with all up above. Can't get anything to react. My mouse just goes through everything as though it's not there. The only thing that does react is the 'thing' in the left hand cage and that just makes gibberish noises. Certainly not English. Is this supposed to be a playable game.

Maclin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Maclin on Apr 9, 14 2:28 AM
It's actually a fun and challenging game once you work out what to do etc. There is a walkthrough on You Tube that gives you the idea. From then on, it gets you hooked and you cant stop!
I would recommend to anyone that likes a challenge

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Apr 9, 14 3:15 AM
I tested this one based on a recommendation on another site a while ago. (It's been out for some time as an app for smartphones.) It's pretty, but agree the level of frustration is very high and the chance of aggravating carpal tunnel, tendinitis, or similar problems is equally high given the degree of difficulty executing various tasks. I googled a walkthrough and that was helpful, but dang. Still took way too many twiddly tries to do anything even when you knew what to do! Gotta give it a

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Apr 9, 14 4:59 AM
Thank you JTF!
Your review of the game is the most amusing thing to bring a smile to my face this morning.....as playing the game (aside from the graphics) is NOT.

Somebody somewhere must have been smoking something to come up with the game, and maybe that is the only way to play it.

Paws down.....but, an amused paws down.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Apr 9, 14 8:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Violett here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Violett.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Apr 9, 14 8:51 AM
This is not a hidden object game it is an adventure game.

If you liked games along the lines of Hamlet, Samorost, etc., where you are dropped into a scenario and you go from there without instructions or direction, then you'll have an idea of how this game operates. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, then don't expect to like or understand the game.

And, brace yourselves, it may not get a walkthrough from BFG, as not every game does.

However, it is a graphic delight and quite an interesting game for those of us who like this type of adventure. Indeed, a refreshing change of pace.

I would heartily recommend that those interested at least demo the game to give it a look. I purchased it and look forward to spending quite a bit of time with it.

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 2:51:37 PM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 9, 14 10:47 AM
I LOVE this quirky little game! As Hespera said, it is an Adventure game not hidden object. You have to think and figure out what to do next. The hint button gives some help and the walk through video mentioned by Maclin gets you started.

This game promises hours, even days of entertainment! If you're tired of HO's, as well as simple handholding cutesy games and want to stimulate your imagination Violett is awesome!

Great way to use a PCC! Thank you BFG!

I bought it and I give it and a

Abs

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Apr 9, 14 11:23 AM
I love this game with all my heart but it is impossible to play. The game opens up with an Evil Witch person chopping up a wasp for dinner, scooping out the brains to make soup, with a leg twitching on the floor. What's not to love?

It's on the order of "Tiny Bang". No idea what you're doing. Just a pretty, "use your brain", figure it out, adventure game.

I was so disappointed in this. No buy. After 40 minutes and still trying to figure out a simple thing in the 2nd scene, I said this is ridiculous and that's that. I lived with MYST under my pillow. I live for this stuff. This game is impossible. It gives you zero information on what to do. The mechanics, even when you know what to do, don't work or are clumsy (you have to use your cursor to rock a bottle back and forth to tip it. After 15 minutes I finally figured out exactly how to hold down the corsor and move it to do this. Then I figured out how to exactly make the motion to do the required action. Still nothing happened.) The "hint", which you'll get eventually even if you don't press the 'hint' button, in the form of a graphic (tip the bottle, yeah ok thanks!) is unhelpful. sometimes you get them when you already did what they tell you to do. I love having to use my head but this is so bare bones it appears lazy and no thought went into adding that little tiny teeny bit of user help that would have given the polish to make it a playable game. I love these games but am not going to kill myself filling in Game Makers lack of wanting to make a game useable by The Masses. if they added a bit of comprehension to it itd be awesome!

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Apr 9, 14 12:28 PM
MissAbby wrote:I LOVE this quirky little game! As Hespera said, it is an Adventure game not hidden object. You have to think and figure out what to do next. The hint button gives some help and the walk through video mentioned by Maclin gets you started.

This game promises hours, even days of entertainment! If you're tired of HO's, as well as simple handholding cutesy games and want to stimulate your imagination Violett is awesome!

Great way to use a PCC! Thank you BFG!

I bought it and I give it and a

Abs

I agree, Miss Abby! The hints give you a little push if you need it (and I usually do), but I find it fun just to wander around and click on things. I love it!

Audrey

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Apr 9, 14 3:15 PM
I've been playing the demo - not finished yet - but the hint system is quite good if you choose to use it. You get a total of 4 hints but each sort of shows you a play-by-play of what to do. But not everything of course. With that said, so far I'm still stuck in the creepy bathroom along with JustTheFacts.

This is not just a thinking game, it's a try everything game and I mean everything. It certainly isn't for everyone but I find it totally quirky and fun! And yes it can be a bit frustrating, but there are so many easy can't-make-a-wrong-move games here that this is really refreshing and different - and I appreciate that.

The only thing I can't figure out is how long the game runs. I'd hate to buy it only to learn there's a couple of scenes left after the demo. Anyone have info on that?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 9, 14 5:11 PM
Down the rat hole (with the help of an amulet) we enter the wild, wacky interdimensional world of sequential logic games. Yes, JTF this game is not for everyone. And to our Aussie sweetie, I must give you another commendation for continuing to play a game you hate and being stuck in the bathroom with no way to get out. Geesh! In this case, this bathroom can really make you to feel trapped.

You are Violett, a sweet little girl with Katy Perry hair (okay so she isn't so sweet) entering another dimension of reality. Being an Indigo Child, personally I really would have rather seen "indigo" hair (so awesome) instead of violet, but alas, - it has been taken out of the spectrum of colors for the rainbow! Supposedly you can't see "indigo" (it's really blue or violet). However, if you dyed your hair indigo, you would no longer be able to see your hair, right?

The basis of the game rests on the supposition that if you were to enter another alternate "world" you would probably not get any directions right? You would just have to logically figure out each sequential step of navigating your new environment. I have seen this game before and you can get help via walkthroughs on the internet. However, if you need a walkthrough, you probably won't like the game. If you follow the game you will encounter little truisms such as "Keep away from the fairies because of allergies." However, the fairies can provide you with magic to overcome difficulties. Such is the price of power, right? I will not rate this game because it is irrelevant in this case. You will either love it or hate it.

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Apr 9, 14 5:47 PM
As has been said, this is an adventure game and a very challenging one at that. I do love my IHOG's...etc but so enjoy these types of games as well. If you have enjoyed Tiny Bang Story, Shaban, Somerost or Machinarium...as I have...you will also have great fun in playing this one.

It takes time and patience but this game is quite intriguing and will not disappoint those that like these types of games and will be a pleasant challenge to those new to this type of genre and want to try something a bit different.

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 6:46:38 PM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Apr 9, 14 6:22 PM
I am actually saddened by the fact that people have become so inundated with hidden object games that when there are other games out there that aren't HOGs people flock to the forums in a confused tizzy wondering where the hidden object scenes are.
That's literally making me sad. Believe it or not, not all pc games must include hogs.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Apr 9, 14 8:29 PM
This is actually a great game. It is a pure adventure game. There aren't any "glitches" or problems with the games. It's NOT a HOG. It's a point and click adventure game, and a pretty difficult one at that. This game worked fine for me both on Windows 7 and on a touch screen (Windows 8). There is not a tutorial because none is needed. It is all about thinking and poking around and trying different things. The controls are different than your usual ERS type HOPA. There's a great video on you tube. Adventure gamers will enjoy this game.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Apr 9, 14 9:19 PM
I agree with the last few reviewers. I loved Tiny Bang and Shaban. Don't know the other games Luckystar mentioned, but will look for them. I think this game can be very frustrating, but fun and different. Yes, to different with no hidden object scenes, just a quirky little adventure game.

alfresco
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by alfresco on Apr 10, 14 1:47 PM
I sort of got hooked on the game during the demo. It's really an arcade type of game. If you check the options you can see how to use the keyboard to move in different directions and jump. Never got the KB to work, but the mouse works fine. You have to drag items out of inventory to use them.

The hint system isn't really that bad. It does tell you the steps you need to do through pictures. Click on the question mark, then the section around the outside of it for the four different hints in each scene.

Violett's not so hard to understand. She's a teenager that doesn't get along with her parents, but then gets caught in this adventure and she now just wants to go home. At least that's how I read the plot

Go to: